Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

In a previous post I see that has boilers are to be banned from 2024 for new builds as the builder will have to install a heat pump.

I take it gas boilers will still be available for the majority existing house stock in case a boiler goes faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Well a quick google. Oil banned from 2022 and gas banned from 2025 in new builds. The gas boiler ban will probably be brought forward

This is for new builds.

So new gas and oil boilers will still be available.

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That will be fantastic. They'll have all those silly normal eejits cornered and nicely dependent on the one source of power should they ever want to jack up the price. Electricity prices are set to balloon in the coming years. You have the green solar panel crowd at the moment saying they're getting such a good deal filling their Tisla for three fiddy but that buffet will be over before most people have joined it.

I'm also highly suspicious about how they have made air pollution into such a topical issue in the past few years. Air quality has been steadily improving since the 90s even with all the extra diesel cars on the road. It is all part of the plan to make people more dependent on electricity & to fleece them once they no longer have alternatives

• Advertisement

Who said they wouldn’t?

If HVO is agreed and introduced an oil boiler will be better for most retrofit than A2W, IMO anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All of Europe really but I don't remember it ever being bad here to begin with. Maybe in Dublin during the worst of the coal days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Indeed I did read the article.

The article didn`t make it clear, other than stating a number of FG T.D,s what that number was other than Brendan Griffin and Patrick O`Donovan. Even while not knowing the number of T.D.s, from reading the article we do know it is at least twice your number. So I agree with you on your point of it " Worse when people are incapable of reading the article."

I haven`t seen where anyone posted this article as proof that FG or FF were having problems supporting a Green Party dictate in the programee for government, or what you believe what involvement the Healy Rea family had in the programme, but when you see a FG Junior Minister from Limerick and an Taoiseach and leader of FF having problems with the Greens position on LNG, it certainly looks like that old saying of no smoke without fire.

Hopefully this will lead to a general election for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

No rambling. Just pointing out that you had not an iota on electricity charges being determined under the marginal model. Even where you were initially told about it, you attempted to show that it was incorrect until it had to be further explained to you. Since then you have avoided the subject like the plaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah. Got to the sections you quoted and just said to myself what is the point in going around in continuous circles. I have been asking this poster how are we going to fill the gap of unreliable wind energy and other than some magical jump from natural gas to 100% renewables it`s now the Moffat lines supplying us. With that I nearly lost the will to live, let alone go around the houses again replying to points I have already replied to in posts here many times.

Rather than any kind of even half-assed reason why we should not, like other, have the capability to use LNG. Preferably from our own terminal which would mean we could source and purchase our own supplies of LNG. But no it`s Moffat.

Moffat for nobody knows how long, where we would be relying on 100% of our natural gas requirements from a non E.U. country whose Home Secretary Priti Patel`s solution to the Northern Ireland Protocol was to starve us into submission until we agreed to their proposals. What could possibly go wrong with that "solution".

The "Electricity is electricity once it flows through pipes. The source doesn`t really make much difference", with all the B.S. on LNG and heaven help us, some of it might be fracked, was the back-breaking-straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gobdaw Gibbons on VM1 saying food should cost 40% of household income, Greens want every penny tied up and everyone living hand to mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I do truely wonder how much of this misinformation is simply being repeated ver batim at this stage? With extra irony the whole thing reminds me a little bit of this

But leaving the flipancy aside, the situation in the short to medium term with regard to the natural gas supplies we do need is indeed dire.

Not only have we had green supporters trying to claim incorrectly that Ireland has no current indigenous natural gas reserves and we shouldn't look for any more regardless

Or even where we do have natural gas - they claim we don't need those resources, because we can get what we want from the UK - even where this apparently contravenes the gp policy of minimising foreign imports of fossil fuels

However what's being left out if this pretty story is that by 2030, it is understood that the UK will be importing 75pc of its natural gas from other countries, because of the decline in North Sea production. And when the UK itself is short of gas, there is no guarantee that the UK will export gas to Ireland

"In the absence of new gas fields, Ireland would then be totally dependent on the UK for its gas supply.    These gas imports would likely come from Norway, Russia, Qatar and various countries outside Europe.  Thus, the gas supply route to Ireland would be longer and add a greater risk of supply disruption and price volatility."

Russia is now out as a longterm source of gas for Europe orvthe UK once the North Sea reserves decline But with increasingly scarce supplies Irelands going to be the very last country in Europe looking down an increasingly scarce and expensive natural gas pipeline

If only there was something that could be done ...

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Sorry you are correct, it was 2

In term of the not an iota. I explained everything to you. You ignored and posted numerous rambling post exactly like this which has nothing to do with the topic. So I have ignored

Aftrr all you said you have spent 8 years posting on the subject but have no clue on it, it’s not like after 8 years the Penny is suddenly going to drop

For example, You didn’t even understand the Kerry LNG was going to be owned by a private company. Yet you have told nearly every poster they know nothing 😂🤦‍♂️

I can’t find anything to confirm or deny this? Would you have anything? Thanks

No one did.

Did I miss a new rule on this particular thread that said questions can’t be asked or points can’t be clarified?

This is the exact problem that the dacor and broken angel keep sidestepping.

We need gas as backup until 2050.

Corrib runs out in 2025.

We can’t explore for new gas in our own area due to the GP.

We are reliant on the UK for gas from 2025 on.

What do we do?

How are we sidestepping? I already have said multiple times Ireland has a direct link into gas via UK into Europe. Many many many times.

What do we do? well thats the whole thread isn't it as nobody is able to discuss any other topic. As a few people have said, we invest in renewable and generate our own power. If we do need some gas as a backup we can use the UK line. Plus if we reduce the gas requirements from Corrib that could last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

You do know a little thing called Brexit occured and the brits have no responsibility to supply us with anything. Just look at their behaviour over the protocol.

Do ye greens actually live in the real world

The GP is against importing gas is it not?

We 100% will need gas as backup no ifs or buts about this. I and plenty others on this thread have been making this very point for weeks.

We will be dependent on a foreign power for gas at the very time gas becomes scarce.

If we reduce the flow from corrib that might buy us a year or two, but the flow rate from corrib is being used at the minute, it’s not being wasted.

Do you not think it would be better to explore our own areas for indigenous gas supplies instead of depending on the UK until 2050?

• Advertisement

What has brexit got to do with the supply of gas? This comment really shows the lack of understanding of Brexit

Baffling. Have you read the thread at all?

Yes I have what’s the problem.

Your out of answers because you have none.

what have I said that you disagree with?

It is clear you haven't. From day 1 on this thread I have discussed Ireland investing in renewables and using the pipe line into UK as a backup. I totally discounted the Irish gas because it is not a long term sustainable supply. I have shared Green party policies on all of this.

The problem with the Kerry LNG is one, we don't own the LNG in it. Which everyone seems to struggle with. It is owned by a private company, just because it would be in Ireland makes no difference and they can sell to Ireland at whatever price they want. Once they get planning that is it. You seem to be suggesting by having the LNG we(ireland) suddenly ownthe LNG.

Also the issue with the LNG is fracking. This is clear from every article available from the Greens. Again the message been pushed by a couple of posters is the Greens are totally against gas. Again incorrect. They are totally against Fracking. The company who will own Kerry LNG want to use LNG which has been fracked. That is the problem.

Then in the middle of it all you accuse me of "side stepping". Which is 100% not true. My message has been clear from day 1. Yet we have rubbish been shared from a couple oof posters about Germany and anywhere else in the World which is irrellevant.

Even if we give the LNG plant the go ahead it will probably be close to 2030 before it is online, at best they estimate 2027 so it will do nothing to help the current situtation.

You didn’t read my post.

where did I mention LNG.

You are obviously still happy to depend on gas coming from the UK am I right in saying that?

Do the UK have a legal obligation to continue the supply of gas to Ireland in the event that they themselves are short on gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Baffling that you cant understand that brexit has a massive effect on our ability to secure gas from Britain. In simple terms that you might understand Britain are no longer in the EU SO HAVE NO RESPONSIBIKITY TO SUPPLY US WITH GAS OR ANY ENERGY SOURCE. You have quoted that we will get gas from Britain so of course brexit has an effect on us securing energy.

Its actually hilarous that you cant understand the effect brexit has on our energy security or maybe you do but just choose to ignore it like Eamon and his hydrogen dreams.

I think we need to clear up a few things on this fantastic LNG plant

Ireland does not own it

It is a private company

If they have 1,000,000 ltr of LNG and we want to buy it for 2m, and Germany bids 3m the company can sell to Germany

All the plant is giving is a private company a base to store huge quantities of LNG so it is quicker and cheaper to sell into Europe. Ireland is just the best location to stick it for them to make more money.

Well if the link is not reliable then all the more reason for Ireland to invest in renewable technology wouldn't you think? so we generate our own power and only have to rely on external connections as a back up

Again who has mentioned LNG?

What about allowing exploration licences in Irish waters instead of depending on UK gas that as far as I know, they have no legal obligation to pass on to us.

Can you address this point please as you keep ignoring it.

How many times have you changed the goal posts now?

In terms of exploration this was discussed in detail already. We spent 50 years searching in Ireland, nothing was found. The next option is fracking. If you want to know why that is a bad idea plenty of articles on web about it.

Anyway I made my points clear.

• Advertisement

“If the link is not reliable………only have to rely on external connections as backup.”

Huh? Are you saying if the gas link to the UK isn’t reliable we should rely on……..the gas link to the UK 😂😂🤦‍♂️

Advertisement