Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the USA play a significantly negative role in events leading to Ukraine invasion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

They've been spreading and defending Putin's propaganda here for years. It's just become somewhat more difficult lately, but where there's a will there's a way

Just having a look at online conspiracy forums now, they are hard at work projecting any negative stories of Ukraine (true or false) they can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Nobody is defending anything. This war is as f***** up as any war and needs to stop.

Just the hypocrisy and the ignorance is nauseating. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Ukraine before the war had a standing army of 200,000 with now volunteers right across Europe joining the ranks since the war began. Facing off against a formidable army,. Ukrainians have war pedigree too fought with the Soviet Union during WW2 and many other wars before the collapse in 1990..

West communicating nonsense about the war. Putin may have disregarded the history and the resistance his army face crossed the border, but after three weeks of fighting just 21 days, Russian forces are doing well enough in that timeframe to hardly call this a disaster. Have captured two important cities in the south Kherson and Melitopol. Strategical setbacks for Ukraine.

Mariupol's capture will provide Putin forces a land corridor to the Donbas controlled area and now the captured city of Kherson. The occupation will free up the Russian army to push on to Dnipro. The complication is Azov will fight til the very last man inside Mariupol it is partly the reason it's the most destroyed city in Ukraine. Ukraine using the city for propaganda purposes.

Defenders are now surrounded on four sides by Russian-controlled forces and its poor citizens are caught up and can't get out. Russian doesn’t want to kill mass groups of civilians despite what the west and Ukraine governments saying. Was the case the Ukrainian civilian dead figures be very high, crazy high.

Zelensky's government had no way of helping the city instead he prefer to act the tough guy and let the Russian forces bomb it.

When it falls this it be the third city in the south to fall into Russian hands.

Mariupol capture is a disaster for Ukraine and will just bring about the eventual collapse of Ukraine resistance in the south and east. Kharkiv is in jeopardy once Dnipro taken. It may take weeks but they get there.

There is no evidence Ukraine's counterattacks have altered anything the land Russia gained still have and advances are still happening in the south and east.

What happening in Kyiv is still bit of a mystery. Russia looks to be trying to encircle Chernihiv ( and cut off the Ukraine forces in the area) and capture it all before moving on towards the suburbs of Kyiv. Russian forces move into the city from just one location, doubtful? . Probably want a link-up of forces coming up from the east or south before they do that surrender ultimatum.. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The Ukrainians seem to be defending.

You'd have to be more specific about the hypocrisy and ignorance. Because its seems intentional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

And again, you're talking out of your ass to defend and justify the killing of civilians by a authoritarian dictator.

And hilariously, you're arguing that "it's all going to plan".

Cheerful, you keep embarassing yourself and the people who share your position.

Russia military dwarfs the Ukraine both in size and technology in every metric.

It should have over run the entire country in about a fortnight.

If there's some tactical or strategic advantage in the current glacial pace of this war of attrition and economic cost, please share.

Taliban weaponry was limited and they had no protective gear. Taliban and US forces rarely had a big battle. US military was in that country for twenty years and never completed the full takeover of it. Crying about the Russian military performance after 21days is laughable,. US military would face similar problems when there actual real army in the way defending villages, towns, and cities.

How many generals are in the Russian army.? General staff members or are they generals can be replaced? Stalin executed countless generals but never seemed to stop the Soviet army from making rapid advances all the way to Berlin. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So why are they in another country again? Just asking questions.

But in your other post, you were claiming that the Russia invasion was going to plan. Here you're saying that it's not going to plan.

Seems like you're just constantly shifting the narrative so that Russia is always blameless...

• Advertisement

There are estimated to 20 generals. 5 of them have been killed. For a guy who claims to understand the invasion and how it's going, you really seem to be pretty oblivious. Stalin's great purge which was substantial occurred in 1937, years before any action Germany so it's not comparable to losing a quarter of your high ranking generals within a month. And that's still going up. Pretty sure you'll struggle to find any such thing happening since the start of the 20th century.

Well firstly it's pretty clear that Putin thought it was going to be easy and he'd face no serious international backlash. Now he's up against a resistance force that is heavily armed by the west and let's say he took the entire country. He definitely isn't in a position to create a stable puppet government. It's a disaster for him and Russia's about to default on debts. So his invasion will never be successful because he's destroyed their economy for the foreseeable, decimated their army to a point where it will take a decade plus to recover. You'd have to be particularly dense to say this is a win for him in any way.

So go on, point out some of the strategic wins for the Russians in this invasion. You're claiming they are. Fyi, the US lost around 7000 troops as a result of both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The Vietnam war was 58,000. The Russians are at over ten thousand in 3 weeks? That's excluding the amount who would be seriously injured etc. There's a reason all strategic experts are saying this has been disastrous for them and it's not propaganda, the Russians have exposed their capabilities and it really doesn't make them look mighty.

Putin invaded Ukraine to keep it in his sphere of influence. Ukraine was moving militarily to a real alliance with the West against Russia. Despite what Western leaders and the media and western people think of that, this is a big move for a country that Russia determines should be a country allied with them. Hostile country on their border would menace Russia. To believe that not the case Nato is good for Russia is lunacy,. UK and America would not allow hostile power to intervene in Mexico, Scotland, or Canada, but the west thinks doesn't matter here because it's the very badman on the planet Putin who got the problem with Nato.

Ukraine would not have got invaded if they stayed neutral. I have no tears for the Ukraine government, I only have regrets about Russia bombing cities, and citizens are harmed and killed and displaced now over this. Russia is involved in an aggressive war here but its nonsense to say their security concerns are baseless

Russia should genuinely seek peace ( made their point the threats are real) and Ukraine hopefully will realize they can't win and accept a neutral stance, accept Donbas gone to Russia and Crimea., and no nato push. The alternative is Ukraine will cease to exist, be part of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ok then.

We have deliberately ignored and rebuffed all of Russia's continued offers of partnership and cooperation since the late nineties early naughties. We have expanded NATO eastwards in several stages against all assurances after the fall of the iron curtain. We have played conman tricks to claim we didnt do this like the infamous 'do you have that in writing' or claiming we don't have e permanent NATO troops there (no we're 'rotating them every 6 months). Stupid conman tricks. Russia has warned us but stayed put but declared their red lines - their border countries. We have played a very active role in Maidan and all events after. We have not leaned on to Ukraine to implement Minsk II to pacify the Russian minority regions. We have been prepping the Ukraine towards NATO memberships or at the very least we have strongly encouraged them. We have supported them financially and we have supplied military 'advisors'. Only last autumn a massive NATO manoeuvre was staged in the Ukraine and also in the Black Sea. We have tested out continually how far we can push Russia.

Personally I think the NATO manoeuvre in the Ukraine was when the decision was made. When Selensky was allowed to speak in Munich and made noises for Ukraine rearmament with nuclear weapons the point of no return was reached. This and all the other stuff that came before lead Russia to believe (rightly IMO) that the West cannot be trusted and we have ill intentions.

Now we're screaming 'murder' and our great media tells us that Putin 'has gone mad' and is likely to invade other countries in the morning and that the Ukraine is innocent and we are innocent too of course. Putin has just gone mad and who knows what he's going to do next.

The whole thing is long term geo-strategic gamesmanship. We have pushed Russia to a point where no good options were left to them. Only bad ones and worse ones. Russia felt this war was the least bad one. Rightly or wrongly but definitely an ugly one.

This war cannot be won by the Ukraine. It can only be made uglier and uglier and we're willing to let them do just that in fact we're egging them on. We're willing to support this fight with weapons to the last Ukrainian man it appears. The Ukraine is a chess piece and a pawn at that.

All that stuff your hear in our glorious independent media (NOT) is just as much propaganda as what you will read and hear on TASS. We're rife with hypocrisy and talk about international law and Russia slaughtering civilians when that is the last thing they want to do I'm certain. Thats before we get into the wars started by 'us' and about which nobody seems to give a sh1t like for example Iraq. International law my arse. Russia aren't the first ones to start one of those in Europe even. Yugoslavia.

This war is horrible and the ordinary people are paying for it as usual. But this is what I mean with hypocrisy.

Anyone saying 'we' are not a significant player in this is either deliberately ignorant or hasn't a clue IMO.

Cheerful, you keep supporting Putin as if he's just an innocent victim.

I would like you to actually say something bad about him. He's exactly the type of boogeyman you and your buddies keep telling us is really in control of the world. Yet you don't at all seem concerned about him. You keep defending him.

I think this is purely because your silly, simplistic anti-America, anti-reality narratives have forced you to simplistically cast Putin as a good guy because he's anti-America. Also because a sizeable chunk of the conspiracy media you consume is in part backed up by Russian propaganda.

So, prove to us you're not as brainwashed as you accuse others of. Tell us your opinion of Putin.

Problem with that is US military strength (which is the core of NATO) has been decline in Europe since the collapse of the USSR.

Whereas Putin has done the opposite.

https://www.sipri.org/commentary/topical-backgrounder/2020/russias-military-spending-frequently-asked-questions

The threat you are suggesting that Putin was responding to was actually in decline. That trend only reversed in response to Putins actions not the other way around. In fact he has caused a seismic change in military spending in Europe with his recent wars.

Even in Ireland Putins aggression has caused an upsurge in attention in our defence spending and policies. Something that had also been in decline for decades until Putin came along.

Rather than strengthening Russia's position, his actions have done the exact opposite.

Not only militarily. He's has now compounded it with economic crisis, and political crisis can't be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I just seen this post and haven't time to go through but my initial thoughts are....

Ukraine are for me in Europe as is Israel... Why do we blame US for something we have no interest in....

Predictable as usual. Holocaust denier and now Putin apologist, no surprises there.

Correction, you've been parroting Putin propaganda for years come to think of it.

Another thread with no conspiracy in it.

I think he had some conspiracy around the west misrepresenting black outs in North Korea too... Secret utopia so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I amended my original post that was actually following John Meirscheimers Statement that “this war is primarily USAs fault”

I am not sure what exactly you are asking. Why do we blame Usa for something we have no interest in? Did you mean to say something they have no interest in?

USA have gotten involved in many proxy wars over many decades . I don’t fully understand their foreign policy or motives but quite often (sometimes decades) , after the fog of war lifts, the involvement of US can come out. Is it really that much of a stretch to ask if this potentially just another proxy war of convenience for USA ?

The question maybe should be more so “What role has the USA played in events leading up to the war?” We know They’ve trained Ukrainians to fight and they’ve supplied plenty of weapons, do people think the USA do this because their global priority is some sort of philanthropic dove of peace strategy? They’ve also been very aggressive with sanctions and appear to of put a lot of pressure on European countries to follow suit. Has the USA ever gotten involved in wars on any level that didn’t really have some sort of benefit to them?

Here’s some interesting points to note. USA didn’t want that pipeline between Germany and Russia to go ahead, now it’s not. USA wanted Euro countries to spend more on weapons/defence, now it does. USA will most likely be the ones supplying the weapons, that’s nice. A more militised EU is good for USA, especially as it was looking like China and Russia were getting very friendly with each other. More countries are considering joining NATO , which seems like a positive for the US. I mean everybody keeps saying how much Putins actions have rallied allies against him, well doesn’t that suit the Americans?

Usa have been telling us for months what russia has been going to do before they did it. This suggests they get good intelligence and have been able to see many events before they happened. Is it that inconceivable that the Americans equally saw/predicted the potential benefits a war in Ukraine might be for them? Might that of influenced how they have handled things and the methods they have chosen in their role/assistance between russia and Ukraine?

The most convenient, simplest and probably most satisfying answer would be that Putin is bad and there’s no reasoning with him so nothing the USA did mattered and sure why bother even exploring the topic. I guess one either chooses to believe this or one investigates further. Investigation may not yield definitive answers but that’s why I posed the question, to see if there was an opportunity for progressive engagement on this topic.

"USA didn't want that pipeline between Germany and Russia to go ahead, now it's not"

Russia invaded Ukraine and Germany made the decision to suspend/cancel the pipeline as a direct result of that

"USA wanted Euro countries to spend more on weapons/defence, now it does"

European countries are now spending more on defense because Putin has started invading a European country.

"USA will most likely be the ones supplying the weapons"

Almost all Western countries are supplying weapons to Ukraine

"Is it that inconceivable that the Americans equally saw/predicted the potential benefits a war in Ukraine might be for them?"

Appeal to motive. The war brings many drawbacks for Americans, higher oil prices, increased inflation, increased global instability.

You are starting with a narrative: "the US wants this situation" and working backwards from there by misrepresenting the facts to fit that narrative in any way you can. This is conspiratorial type thinking, full of logical fallacies.

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Winston Churchill

You don't have to any ulterior motive or inner knowledge to know that its a bad idea to get involved with Putin. His track record speaks for itself.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

The alternative is the US has a fantastic intelligence service. We know that isn't true. Look how much they've got wrong over the years. If they thought that there was a threat to Europe they wouldn't have been pulling out of it until very recently.

Kinda sounds like all Putin needed to do to foil this sinister plan was to not invade a country. Guess he couldn't help himself...

What he needed was some sort of economic and defense pact.

keep them out of Nato, neutral perhaps, and some sort of preferential transport corridor and economic agreement.

Instead he's done a land grab, because he doesn't like sharing. Especially power.

I have generally tried to ask a lot of questions and make statements of interest, not absolute statements of fact that I cannot actually confirm.

Do you not actually see you are exactly what you are accusing me of being, quite blinkered to any narrative that doesn't fit in with what you want to believe. I am trying to be polite about this, but you have a really rigid capacity for discussing these things, maybe you can only see things in black/white perspective but there those of us who try to take a less emotive/absolute stance on some topics. I accept I do not know the answer to all the questions I am asking, do you ?

Please stop projecting how you think I am coming at this from or my motive for posting, you just don't know so you are coming across to me as extremely erratic as the people you and others are labelling or treating like "conspiracy nuts".

In terms of you actually engaging what I said:

• Who do you think supply's the weapons to the EU countries ? Who will be supplying Europe with its new weapons with their increased budget ?
    • Germany initially didn't do anything about the pipeline deal. You don't think the Americans put pressure on Germany on any level ?
    • How long will oil prices/inflation last ? inflation certainly was on the horizon with or without the war.
    • Again, how much will USA make from a more armed global infrastructure ? I don't know the answer to that and unless you do, you cant really say if the benefits outweigh the short term costs on fuel
    • So to summarize, is it fair to say (question not a statement) you think any "benefits" USA are getting out of the war are 100% coincidental and just a fortunate by product of a horrible situation, they have never considered the pros of a Ukraine war for them ?

I could say your rebuttals were full of presumptions you are not in a position to declare as absolutes, but where's the fun in that ?

Well I agree with Dohnjoe your questions are not neutral they are leading. I thought his replies were quite matter of fact in response.

Europe tends to supply a lot of its own weapons, rather than going elsewhere like to the US. But they will go to the US if there a good reason to. But its the exception in general. This shouldn't have to be spelled out. This is as old as the hills.

Lot of countries in Europe opposed the pipeline deals when they were first proposed. The US were also part of this, long before the current crisis. However all their worst fears have been realized. "Told you so" doesn't quite express how much of a error this was. But a win for Russia at the time. Now blown apart forever. Since Germany resisted all this pressure right until 22 February 2022, you'd have to say the only thing that changed at that point was Putin actions. So that has to have been the catalyst for change.

Inflation? Who knows. There's been nothing to really drive it till now.

How much will USA make on an armed conflict. Same as its always done. Again as Europe supplies a lot of its own weapons, except where it has no choice. So a lot of this funding will actually flow into Europe not the US. Which is why they do this. Again old news.

The US would want a democracy in Ukraine not a war. They want money not war. War is a net cost to the US. Especially with Trump. The reason they pulled out of other conflicts was economic as much as strategic.

Putin's, Military expansion and posturing, wasn't of huge concern as Russia military is shadow of its former might. The US was focused on the East. Especially its Navy. Putin actions in the last decade though have caused Europe to slowly refocus on defense spending in the last decade. F35 was one of the more high profile stories in that. But his actions in the last few months, has opened the flood gates in funding now. Even here in Ireland.

Europe isn't fond of paying the US for weapons. They like to it themselves.

A good example is the M16/M4. Most European countries didn't adopt it.

Instead made their own Rifle. They just have common ammunition. They've been doing this forever.

Am pointing out the obvious agenda here. You constantly state you know little about this conflict but note how each your questions are always loaded to implicate one country in particular

To address them and explain what you are doing:

1. EU gets it's weapons from a variety of sources, e.g. German made AT weapons, Swedish AT weapons, British NLAWs. With this "question" in a roundabout way you are trying to suggest the US has a vested interest in the conflict because US companies will make money from arms sales to e.g. the EU. Arms companies benefit in conflicts, it doesn't mean they are the cause of the conflict or that the country benefits as a whole from it (often much larger companies and industries and by extension economies suffer during war)
    2. Which administration, Obama, Trump, Biden? The US isn't a "person", it's a bunch of administrations. I know that Obama and Biden (and many EU administrations) weren't keen on the reliance of EU on Russian gas/oil after Putin's annexation of Crimea. Merkel took a gamble and stuck with it thinking Putin wouldn't drastically escalate, Germany got it wrong, and now have had to abandon it (costing the Germans a large amount). You are only asking this question to hint the US pushed the decision not the Germans.
    3. Oil prices and inflation are based on many things. You are asking this because you want to suggest that "the US" wants war more than it cares about inflation/price of oil.
    4. Again this repeated trope that "the USA" is making money from war to suggest a motive.
    5. You summarise by arriving at the narrative you started with, all dressed up as "I'm just asking questions".

When people genuinely don't know about a situation and want to know more, they don't come to conspiracy forums. It's very clear you've already decided that the US has had some part in manufacturing or causing this war, and that's fine, that's your opinion. But your approach is all wrong.

• Advertisement

What evidence of my posting supports your comments on the agenda you have accused me of having ? Why does it matter its in the CT forum ? ( I have already responded to you on this BTW). You are so paranoid you cant even discuss this in a civil manner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement