Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Personally I imagine what is likely to happen is the same thing we have seen in other domains in society besides sports - people weren’t interested in middle ground, I don’t imagine anyone is interested in middle ground because that means compromise. All that happened is people simply gravitated to whatever suited themselves. There wasn’t social media 30 years ago so it was considerably more difficult for ordinary people to find other people who were just like them. That’s simply not the case any more.

I’ll bet you can think of numerous examples throughout history where someone warned everyone that their campaigning would do the opposite of what they were hoping for, except it didn’t, and people got that much closer to their aim of being treated as equals.

Treating people as equals isn't the issue.

It's treating biological men as if they are biological females (or the other way around) that is the issue.

It's not asking for equality, it's asking for people to accept something that isn't true.

It would be like being compelled to accept that someone is a different age than they are or a height that they clearly aren't.

The conflation of gender and sex is too muddied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

"Ledecky on the other hand, is something of a phenomenon, and her time in the 1,650m freestyle event could be enough to qualify her to race in the men’s event. The record in the men’s event is 14:22:41. It’s just impossible to do any sort of a real calculation.."

Ledecky is something of a phenomenon but she would have been around a 50 metre pool length behind the fastest male swimmers in some of her events. Which shows the average performance difference between men and women and the reason why we have different categories.

Treating people as equals IS the issue if you’re making the point that people aren’t asking for equality, which is equal treatment without discrimination on the basis of gender. That isn’t asking anyone for their opinions on gender, it’s the opposite - devising policies where previously organisations could discriminate on the basis of gender, so that they are prohibited from doing so in the future. It’s not about peoples individual opinions, it’s about policies.

You’re not compelled to accept anything, it’s simply that you can no longer compel anyone to accept being discriminated against on the basis of gender. You wouldn’t accept unfair treatment, so it shouldn’t be a foreign concept to you that other people would be unwilling to accept being treated unfairly from their perspective.

I do treat people equally on the basis of their gender. I couldn't give a flying **** who identifies as what. I ignore that **** equally.

Their gender has absolutely no bearing on their sex.

It's not unfair at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I find these trans athletes very selfish.

Eh? It doesn’t show the reason why we have categories at all? It DOES show that it’s possible to have categories in sports based upon ability, without discrimination as to either sex or gender. We don’t have individual competitions solely for each competitor so every participant gets a medal, cos they’re all winners in their own right. That’s a nonsense platitude that isn’t applicable outside of kindergarten.

We’re not talking about average men and women when we’re speaking in the context of sports. Sports have rules and regulations as another poster pointed out earlier, so to suggest participation and categorisation in sports is purely about biology is just nonsense from the get-go!

When I was participating in competitive swimming and I was the same age as Ledecky at 16, she would have easily been faster than me. I can’t remember my time but I know it was well outside 15 minutes, and I had to swim 2km in order to qualify for a certificate as a lifeguard. I was ineligible to apply for an outdoor certification because I was still only 16 at the time and at the time (30 years ago now) applicants had to be 18. That was the policy. It wasn’t anything to do with me as an individual and whether I could meet all the other criteria.

Having been born with a congenital hip defect which my parents kept passing off as just me putting it on didn’t stop me from wanting to compete either, it just made me even more determined, and I ended up with incredible upper body strength and chicken legs because I never used my legs when swimming. It was only in my 20s I had to go private to have an operation done to try and repair the damage caused by the medical professionals at the time missing out on what should have been an easily detectable condition that all babies are tested for at birth, more commonly known as a ‘click-hip’ -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_dysplasia

Medical professionals make mistakes, it doesn’t mean anyone should have to live with the consequences of a mistake at birth which was someone else’s fault, and it should never mean that anyone should be subject to discrimination for something which is biological that they cannot change. I was fortunate enough that I’m able to change it, but people who are transgender are not so fortunate, and it doesn’t mean they should be prohibited or discriminated against from participating in sports in accordance with their gender because of what is recorded on their birth certificate.

It should be an obligation on organisations to change their policies, not an obligation on individuals to try and change who they are in order to be eligible to participate in sports without discrimination on the basis of their gender. The arguments about an invasion of men in women’s tennis didn’t happen in the 40 years since Renee Richards won the right to participate in women’s tennis, it was a specious argument then, and it’s as specious an argument now as is the whole trying to compare average men and women argument, ignoring all other context which doesn’t support your narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Mate, just because the nearest you ever got to top level rugby is evoking a great player in your user name doesn't mean every one else is as ignorant of the mechanics of the game as you.

And like it or not - for fun on the international squads men and women have played together in full contact, 80 minute games. And got a right b*llocking from the coaching staff afterwards. It's actually good training for both.

Even at club level it's not unheard of for mixed training sessions. Ask Donnacha O'Callaghan what he learned scrummaging against the women's team his sister played on. Women generally have a lower centre of gravity therefore can crouch lower then men and have more ability to then drive from the hips (those child baring hips come in handy) - very hard to defend against.

I have seen, and participated in, mixed teams playing at tournaments including Highfield Easter and Kinsale 7's. Although why the hell a prop like me was playing 7s is still a mystery - but people get injured... drunk...lost... and teams consisting of the sober(!) and willing get cobbled together for the craic.

But you don't want to know anything about that because it doesn't fit your world view.

Girls and boys can play on mixed gender teams up to the age of 15 with the full sanction of World Rugby if that is the only way the players can continue to play the game- full contact but modified scrums or 'schoolboy rules' as they are known.

As for Transwomen playing rugby against cis women - the FFR also allow it

According to the New York Times :

Four women’s rugby powers, the United States, England, Canada and Australia, said they would ignore the ban when holding domestic competitions. New Zealand is expected to follow suit.

Transwomen can and do play rugby against cis women, have been doing so for years, and to date there is zero evidence that this has lead to a greater number, or more severe, injuries.

I'm sure it's a co-incidence that the home nations that allow it also happen to be the same one's with the top ranked women's international teams - although transwomen are not allowed to play at international level. I know in my playing days I would have relished a front row battle with a transwomen - just to see if she really did have some alleged 'advantage' and, if so, how I could counter it. What a fantastic challenge that would have been.

But fair dues to you that you think it's grand that women can compete against men in darts and snooker. There are many here who will disagree with you.

Thankfully this thread isn't about cis men competing against cis women.

It's about transwomen competing against cis women.

The men can make the sammiches.

Post edited by Bannasidhe on

• Advertisement

I was referring to your complaint that you’re being asked to accept something that isn’t true. You’re not. You’re being prohibited from discriminating against anyone on the basis of their gender. Same laws which apply to everyone apply to you too. That way nobody has to care for your validation or approval (or anyone else’s for that matter), they’re protected from discrimination by law.

Your whole point centres around the fact that you’re now prohibited by law from treating anyone unfairly on the basis of their gender, and I know you remember there are exemptions in Irish law in certain circumstances, which only permit discrimination as a means of achieving a legitimate aim. That’s what it means for people to be treated as equals in law, and nobody has to give a fiddlers for your personal opinions on the subject.

(I do though, cos you’re not the worst 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Quinn, "who goes by one name and uses gender-neutral pronouns", has branded itself perfectly. If ever its media attention numbers dip then it's time for its YouTube confessional channel to be launched and it's quids-in for Quinn ;-)  

You missed out the bit where they state in domestic competitions it is up to the Home Unions to decide.

World Rugby only sets the rule for International competitions - all their ruling means it transwomen cannot play on the national team.

It does NOT mean they cannot play rugby at all. I have already shown they do in England, and France. Two of the world's top rugby nations.

Would you like me to post links to more articles on this?

USA Rugby also allow trans people can continue to play in their domestic leagues, sadly USA Rugby didn' keep their interwebby security up to date do I can't link directly. You can google it. USA Rugby Transgender will find it. Here's an article about it:

Canada:

How various sporting bodies in Australia, including rugby*, deal with inclusivity :

*transwomen can play it.

And last but not least Ireland:

"Those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category under the following conditions: ▪ 2.1. The player has declared that her gender identity is female. The declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years. ▪ 2.2. The player must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition). ▪ 2.3 The player’s total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10 nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category. ▪ 2.4. Compliance with these conditions may be monitored by testing. In the event of non-compliance, the player’s eligibility for female competition will be suspended for 12 months. ▪ Players will be eligible in the female category when they supply IRFU HQ will above medical information stated in 2.2 and 2.3 from their GP and completes the declaration form in Appendix 1 "

https://www.irishrugby.ie/playing-the-game/spirit-of-rugby/diversity/

So yes, transwomen could line out for Munster, Leinster, Ulster, and Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the point of my post wasn't that transwomen can never play rugby, it was to outline world Rugby's stance on the matter in response to this post (It's basically personal safety vs safety of others):

We had a situation on Saturday where a 1.74m/84 kg rugby player faced off against a 1.95/115kg rugby player.

It seems that size difference doesn't always matter.

Transgender women may not currently play Because of the size, force- and power-producing advantages conferred by testosterone during puberty and adolescence, and the resultant player welfare risks this creates

Transgender men may play having provided confirmation of physical ability. Allowing transgender men to play men's rugby does not increase the risk of injury to teammates or opposition players. Transgender men must confirm they understand any increased risk to themselves

Eh? It doesn’t show the reason why we have categories at all? It DOES show that it’s possible to have categories in sports based upon ability, without discrimination as to either sex or gender.

I think that's a serious point, but I disagree with it. Like in tennis you could create separate categories for left handers and right handers, because the lefties seem to have an advantage. Nobody would be interested in such a distinction though. People are interested in separate distinctions for male and female though. The interest possibly doesn't come from the performance difference so much. It's more that men and women see themselves as separate categories to a certain extent. In tennis, men tend to play singles against other men, and women play against women but when it comes to serious competition, the authenticity of the distinction is very dependent on the biological differences.

We don’t have individual competitions solely for each competitor so every participant gets a medal, cos they’re all winners in their own right. That’s a nonsense platitude that isn’t applicable outside of kindergarten.

That's a nonsense point because I never said what you seem to be replying to.

We’re not talking about average men and women when we’re speaking in the context of sports. Sports have rules and regulations as another poster pointed out earlier, so to suggest participation and categorisation in sports is purely about biology is just nonsense from the get-go!

We are talking about averages though. Otherwise you are just talking about individuals like Lia Thomas who is faster than one person and slower than another. Men are faster and stronger than women on average and at the extremes. You can't ignore that.

It should be an obligation on organisations to change their policies, not an obligation on individuals to try and change who they are in order to be eligible to participate in sports without discrimination on the basis of their gender.

I think that is a serious point too, but when you say "organisation" you really mean the existing majority of the sport (in this case women) and you are asking them to make way for individuals who happen to be men. So, it doesn't follow at all that organisations have to change their policies for individuals.

Did you or did you not claim on this thread that transwomen are barred from playing rugby? Did you state this applied only to International level?

Did you know that or just not bother to look beyond the bits that suited your agenda?

I ask as you failed to mention that the ban does not apply to all transgender women - only those who transitioned post-puberty. I hands up did not know that.

• "Transgender women who transitioned pre-puberty and have not experienced the biological effects of testosterone during puberty and adolescence can play women's rugby (subject to confirmation of medical treatment and the timing thereof)"

Which means, in fact, that not all transgender women are barred from playing rugby at international level. Biological sex at birth is not the determining factor - they are concerned about the effect of testosterone on the development of children going through puberty.

Much as you are trying to present World Rugby's recent adoption of a new policy as the final word when it comes to the sport of rugby union, the fact is there is so much opposition to it's new policy the top rugby nations ignore it within their domestic leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

No clarification. It's plain what I said.

You want to talk about Gobis and gay sheep as some sort of bizarre confirmation that Lia Thomas, with the physique of a man, flying down the pool in a a race against bologically female women is completely natural and completely fair. It is neither of these things.

Never in my life have I talked about Gobis and gay sheep.

I will talk about how Amelie Maurismo was described as half-man because she wasn't girlie enough for the tastes of the hoi polloi.

Or how Caster Semenya is being pressured to take drugs to block her naturally occurring higher than average testosterone levels for a woman. Semenya is not transgender.

I will also point out that Thomas lost most of the races where she flew down the pool against biologically (faster) women in the recent meet that kicked this all off again.

"out of the meet’s 18 events, Thomas won one race and placed in the top eight in two others.

She didn’t break any records. Her race times were not extraordinary."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fine long post. And all again, complete rubbish. You made a claim, tossed in some "i played International rugby" in your previous post, and now rolled back to a little bit of "not unheard of" for men and women to train.

Big difference between training and playing. So you're continuing with the spoofing. You can play non contact tag mixed rugby at kinsale 7s all you like and try use that as an example to enforce your argument, but it's not. Female boxers and MMA fighters regularly train with men in the gym, but that's not an enforcement of your argument

Don't piss on my head and try telling me it's raining. You've gone from a position of played high level mixed gender with international players to "not unheard of mixed gender training sessions"

You're simply not being truthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

You completely missed the point. Read the excerpt from the article

out of the meet’s 18 events, Thomas won one race and placed in the top eight in two others.

Kind of says it all - what are your thoughts on that point (and its a pertinent one so try keep your answer relevant)

just another case of miscommunication. I linked the World Rugby website and quoted relevant bits, in response to your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,085 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I answered your question. I believe it is up to the individuals involved.

If a man wants to compete in women's boxing, should they be allowed to? After all, you say if any woman wants to compete with men in boxing they should be allowed to.

'Depends' - what does that mean? Either testosterone has an effect on the human body or it doesn't.

I refer you to the science.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6391653/

Prior to puberty, there is no sex difference in circulating testosterone concentrations or athletic performance, but from puberty onward a clear sex difference in athletic performance emerges as circulating testosterone concentrations rise in men because testes produce 30 times more testosterone than before puberty with circulating testosterone exceeding 15-fold that of women at any age. 

So as remarked above there is a clear difference in the amount of testosterone a post pubescent man and woman, hence the differences in strength, speed, stamina etc.. hence why a post pubescent trans woman has an inherient advantage over other women, in general.

Im sure you going to respond with some random edge in an effort to try and counter the above. Kind of like how some religious people refer to random acts of god as proof that there is a god.

Sure I am.

It must hurt you deeply that you didn't get to play too.

Them's the breaks. Not everyone can compete at the highest levels. Some are stuck being bitter on the sidelines. Never picked to play. Reduced to calling other people liars or claiming someone stole their slot as has happened with Lia Thomas.

Have you asked Donnacha about scrummaging against his sister? He'll remember. It was his idea in the first place.

And you still know nothing about the mechanics of actually playing the sport of rugby to a high standard if you think cis women and transwomen cannot compete on equal terms.

Or had you forgotten the topic of this thread in your eagerness to call me a liar?

If I may ask - what do you think about their stance that those who transition pre-puberty can compete alongside and against cis women at international level?

It does mean some transgender women can compete at the very highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Women and transwomen cannot compete on equal terms though, that's been pretty much accepted, the argument is purely about how much you need to disadvantage a trans person so they can compete in some sort of level playing field and if that is fair or dangerous to other females competing.

I personally doubt you have ever played rugby or are just on a wind up with those statements as they are nowhere near any semblance of reality.

The fact that 2 days ago you were solely pushing ultra endurance sports in a pretty clueless fashion and have pivoted to this indicates that you're solely intent on winding others up.

You seem to be having an issue comprehending my very clear statement that as far as I an concerned that two consenting adults can do as they wish to each other be that inside or outside of a ring. I might think it won't end well for one of both. I might think it's a stupid thing to do. But I feel the same way about people drinking jagermeister - doesn't mean I feel compelled to stop them.

Why should I respond in the manner you deem I will? Once again all you have shown is how little you know me and my views.

I am not the one here arguing about biological sex being the important thing in determining a person's gender. Unlike some poster's here I don't stare at athletes genital region or comment on their 'equipment' or lack thereof.

I have always been on the side that says hormones play a huge role*. As have the majority of those people who get derided for talking about early intervention to prevent the trauma of going through puberty as the wrong gender.

*caveat - but in sports especially there are other important factors.

But you speak as if there is a set level of testosterone in men, and a set lower level in women and that's that. You take no account that there are wide variations. However, yes. If left alone men will produce far more testosterone than women. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

But what you are really not addressing is the topic of this thread.

The testosterone levels of cis men are not relevant to this discussion.

Transgender women athletes in order to be allowed to compete have to have been taking testosterone reducing medication for at least 2 years. In other world, they are not 'left alone'. Their testosterone levels are deliberately, and significantly, suppressed. And this too has an effect on the body. Effects such as

• increased body fat.
    • decreased strength/mass of muscles.
    • fragile bones.
    • decreased body hair.
    • swelling/tenderness in the breast tissue.
    • hot flashes.
    • increased fatigue.
    • effects on cholesterol metabolism.

The key phrase here is "testosterone reducing" - which means they do not have the same levels as a cis man. That's science Mark.

without getting into the what 'transitioning pre puberty' would entail, and if I think that's a good idea. I'd agree with that rule absent of any other considerations

edit, just so its clear, it is medical transition, not just socially transitioning that we're talking about

• Transgender women who transitioned pre-puberty and have not experienced the biological effects of testosterone during puberty and adolescence can play women's rugby (subject to confirmation of medical treatment and the timing thereof)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,085 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

But you speak as if there is a set level of testosterone in men, and a set lower level in women and that's that. You take no account that there are wide variations. However, yes. If left alone men will produce far more testosterone than women. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

So you agree with my point of view so.

There is a reason why women compete with other women and men with other men. We don't compete against other humans at a set hormone level.

The key phrase here is "testosterone reducing" - which means they do not have the same levels as a cis man. That's science Mark.

While ignoring the science and fact that these trans women have had numerous years with an elevated testosterone level which makes them physically bigger.

Why is an average 18-year-old man taller and bigger than an average 18-year-old woman? Do transwomen shrink, do their bones reduce?

Religion eh?

I don’t think it’s particularly useful to focus on a particular sport, the point is that it could be any sport where the categories are based upon ability as opposed to any discrimination on the basis of sex or gender. The idea of maintaining the authenticity of any distinction is simply a different way of arguing in favour of maintaining discrimination based upon sex or gender. Djokovic for example recently tried to set up an organisation for men players only, and when Martina Navratilova penned her editorial on men’s participation in the women’s game, that didn’t really go down too well either. To say that people wouldn’t be interested in mixed gender sports isn’t borne out by the evidence that there does appear to be an appetite for reform in sports.

I was making the point that at it’s most extreme, categorisation would come down to individual players having a category of their own, and being declared the winner by default, if all they needed to do was eliminate the competition by claiming their competitors have a biological advantage over them. Kinda obvious that they do, otherwise they wouldn’t be winners, all other things being equal. Wouldn’t make for a very entertaining spectacle either, which would mean sponsors wouldn’t be all that interested in having the athletes showcasing their brands.

The sentence “men are stronger and faster than women on average and at the extremes” is exactly talking about average men and women. Again it’s just another way of saying the same thing - there isn’t anyone disputing that idea, they’re just not entertaining it, because it’s not relevant. The idea is that when we’re talking about sports, talking about averages as they apply within the general population simply isn’t relevant. What’s relevant are for example the fact that of that in a competition like the Olympics, and this is just to put it in context - 11,000 athletes competed, and the gender split was 50/50. Team USA was made up of 225 athletes - 115 men, 109 women, and one non-binary athlete; Team Iran was made up of 65 - 55 men, and 10 women. Looks like the US team were a tad more committed to the idea of gender equity than the Iranian team 😏

The point is that your whole ‘averages’ argument, is ideological, it’s fine on paper, but it doesn’t map to reality, not even slightly.

I’m not asking, I’m telling, because nobody should have to ask to be treated as an equal. It should be the default behaviour. It’s not though, because of the historical discrimination within sports organisations who formulated the policies and rules to suit themselves, which was never fine, because of the implications of those policies and the people who benefitted from them, and the people who didn’t.

Do you want to draw me a diagram and explain averages again, because the spoils weren’t dished out evenly among the beneficiaries so they all received an equal amount, amounting to an average payout of the available prize fund. Nope, some beneficiaries received far, far more than others, and the 11,000 athletes competing in the Olympics? Well they receive no monetary benefit from participating at all. Some have had to flog their goodie bags on eBay to support themselves. Not particularly surprising that they wouldn’t be all that interested in equity when it came to creating opportunities for everyone to share in the spoils.

I’m not saying that anyone has to make way for individuals who are men, there are plenty of men involved at all levels in women’s sports already, I’m sure you’re aware of the numerous scandals they have been involved in and the numerous abuses they have perpetrated which have had a devastating impact on women in sports, but abusive men haven’t put women off sports, so the idea that women would be competing against men, when they already have to put up with an enormous amount of shyte caused by a tiny minority of men, hasn’t actually put women off in the past, and the entry of a few men in competition, isn’t going to put them off in the future, and there are plenty of women who just don’t care - they’re interested in competition, not whether their competitors stand up or sit down to take a piss.

That’s also notwithstanding the fact that you’ve forgotten, or perhaps overlooked the fact that were the status quo to remain as it is, you would have to allow for the fact that people who do not identify as women, would be competing with women, and would still be accused of having an unfair advantage if they were to have the appearance and characteristics of a stereotype of manhood. It’s not just the men you’d be concerned with, you’d also have to introduce new rules and policies and guidelines to maintain a stereotype based upon womanhood.

Neither science nor biology are particularly helpful to anyone attempting to maintain societal norms which everyone else is expected to fit into. You don’t need me cherry picking the bits I do and don’t like from either science or biology to explain why those ideas simply don’t map to reality, especially in sports, especially in the context of a global scale where the point in winning is to be so exceptional as to be an outlier. It’s why there are as many outliers as there are in sports competitions - outliers excel because they use every advantage they have and it’s honed to the nth degree, well beyond what the average human being is capable of achieving.

The RFU, IRFU, USARugby, FFR just for starters disagree with you.

Soccer, Aussie Rules, Volleyball, Netball etc etc. All state that as long as the athlete identifies as a woman and her testosterone levels have been reduced to being within the normal range for a cis woman, she can compete.

The IOC have gone as far as to drop the requirement in their guidelines for hormone reducing medications.

That you think the argument is about how much a transperson needs to be 'disadvantaged' shows how little you understand gender dysphoria. The goal is to have a body that conforms as closely as possible to one's gender identity. Hormones are how this is primarily achieved. Athlete or couch potato - no transwoman wants to live in a hairy male body, and no transman wants under boob sweat and periods. If they can prevent this they will.

As for my playing rugby - gosh, it does seem to have upset a certain sub-set of posters here. Poor pookies.

No matter how you wish it wasn't true, I'm afraid it is. If you, or anyone else, is getting wound up about it that's your problem. Not mine.

If it helps I have never played a round of golf in my life. And I am so absolutely shocking bad at basketball, volleyball, and netball that not even daily doses of testosterone could bring about an improvement.

They don't seem to specify - transition can mean many things including social (which involves major steps like name change, documentation change etc). As they are concerned with hormone levels it does imply some form of puberty blockers being administered. Which is controversial in and of itself.

Surgical transition is, afaik, not performed on children. They would have to be very late teens at the youngest - aka post-puberty age.

It seems to me that such a rule encourages the use of puberty blockers (rugby is not the only sport to have this policy) which could put pressure on pre-pubescent children to rush into taking them if they want to compete in their desired sport as the gender they identify.

Let's face it - most elite athletes start training very young, often long before puberty.

I am not comfortable with a young person being faced with the decision of take these drugs or forget your sporting dreams.

• Advertisement

Agree with you about the thing that has nothing to do with this topic?

Yeah, whatever.

How do you know 'these transwomen' have had several years? That an assumption on your part.

We are not talking about the average cis man* (and not only because this thread is NOT, I repeat NOT about them) or the average cis woman.

we are talking about cis female elite athletes who by and large are most certainly not average.

And their bones might not get smaller - but they break a hell of a lot easier.

*they're so vain, they have to make this thread about them. 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"as long as the athlete identifies as a woman and her testosterone levels have been reduced to being within the normal range for a cis woman, she can compete"

So the average bloke with a greater muscle mass, larger lung capacity,, higher bone density, larger heart, strength etc as compared to the average woman just has to identify as a woman and turn up with a lab report showing reduced testosterone levels and all's hunky dorey? And I know there will always be exceptions to this. But that doesn't remove the reason why there are seperate male and female sports categories in the first place.

Btw you may wish to check before referring to others as ' cis'. The thing is no one has the right to unilaterally appropriate others with any alternative name or description. That's basic respect.

John Boyne writing in the IT

"And while I wholeheartedly support the rights of trans men and women and consider them courageous pioneers, it will probably make some unhappy to know that I reject the word “cis”, the term given by transgender people to their nontransgender brethren. I don’t consider myself a cis man; I consider myself a man. For while I will happily employ any term that a person feels best defines them, whether that be transgender, non-binary or gender fluid to name but a few, I reject the notion that someone can force an unwanted term onto another."

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/john-boyne-why-i-support-trans-rights-but-reject-the-word-cis-1.3843005

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Sweetest divine.

This thread has feck all to do with the average cis man. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

It hasn't much to do with the average cis woman either.

I am discussing ELITE athletes who are women. Transwomen and cis women.

Not men. Not transmen or cis men and certainly not average men.

And feck off with your 'just has to identify as a woman and turn up with a lab report showing reduced testosterone levels' like it's as easy as doing a PCR test. Just shows you are all John Snow on this topic if you think it's that easy.

No, I won't stop using a medical term that describes exactly which group of people I am referring to. It is not derogatory, it is descriptive of the condition whereby a person's biological sex and gender identity align. If you don't like it get onto the German sexologists of the early 20th century who coined it - they also gave us homosexual and transsexual. Cisgender is actually older than than transgender as a descriptive term.

I've been called a lot worse on this thread - genuine and intended insults so why don't you go police the language of those posters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"Feck/Feck off"? Absolutley charming!

You can check but you're the one who referred to others as "cis". First it is certainly not a "medical" term and only came into use in the last 30 years or so*. I can't help that you don't seem to like it being pointed that shows a basic lack of respect to refer to others by unwanted descriptors or names they don't chose and I'm definitely not the only one saying that.

I have no idea what people may or may not have called you in this thread, because a. it's irrelevant and b. I'd suggest if it was derogatory maybe best report same. You should realise that logically there's absolutely no need for anyone to unilaterally apply a made up name like "cis" to men or women where the term 'trans' is already accepted by trans men and women to describe themselves.

And if you check the discussion so far has everything to do with the biological differences between the average male and female, when it comes to male vs female (athlete) sports categories. Btw it was you in your comment who claimed that an athlete simply needed to identify as a woman and provide certified lower testosterone levels to be allowed to compete in woman's sports or are you now backtracking for some strange reason? Eitherway the comment stands as you clearly haven't bothered even addressing the issues raised other than having a virtual tantrum for some odd reason.

But answer this one question. What is the purpose of there being seperate male and female categories in sports?

https://web.archive.org/web/20150814051905/http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/june-2015-update/new-words-notes-june-2015/

*"Coined in 1994, cisgender began to be added to dictionaries in 2015 as a result of changes in the way gender is conceived in popular Western discourse."

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

"This thread has feck all to do with the average cis man. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

It hasn't much to do with the average cis woman either.

I am discussing ELITE athletes who are women. Transwomen and cis women.

Not men. Not transmen or cis men and certainly not average men."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The fact that you're bringing gender dysphoria into it shows how little you know about sport, treatment of gender dysphoria is independent (and rightly so) of any of the requirements needed for a trans woman to compete against biological females. Sports are a secondary concern in any treatments as the requirements may not make sense for many (which is another issue as some would feel the requirements force people to make changes to their bodies they are not comfortable with and argue that self affirmation should be enough for a gender change in sports).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How many NCAA Division 1 Championship Finals did Will Thomas compete in?

I don’t think it’s particularly useful to focus on a particular sport, the point is that it could be any sport where the categories are based upon ability as opposed to any discrimination on the basis of sex or gender. The idea of maintaining the authenticity of any distinction is simply a different way of arguing in favour of maintaining discrimination based upon sex or gender. Djokovic for example recently tried to set up an organisation for men players only, and when Martina Navratilova penned her editorial on men’s participation in the women’s game, that didn’t really go down too well either. To say that people wouldn’t be interested in mixed gender sports isn’t borne out by the evidence that there does appear to be an appetite for reform in sports.

Yes. Maintaining discrimination based on sex in sports that are still segregated that way, is what I am arguing for. That's not to argue against mixed gender sports at all, or even against separate mixed gender categories in sports that are primarily segregated. We already have it in some sports. Horse Racing hasn't suddenly become woke allowing Rachel Blackmore to dominate. Women have been allowed to ride the English Grand National since 1977. Which isn't to say that women haven't faced barriers and discrimination they shouldn't have faced. But, there's a reason why some sports are mixed and why others are segregated by rule, is the point.

I was making the point that at it’s most extreme, categorisation would come down to individual players having a category of their own, and being declared the winner by default, if all they needed to do was eliminate the competition by claiming their competitors have a biological advantage over them. Kinda obvious that they do, otherwise they wouldn’t be winners, all other things being equal. Wouldn’t make for a very entertaining spectacle either, which would mean sponsors wouldn’t be all that interested in having the athletes showcasing their brands.

Okay, I see your point. But, this debate tends generate a lot of straw men. Nobody is arguing for arbitrary categorisation like that.

The sentence “men are stronger and faster than women on average and at the extremes” is exactly talking about average men and women. Again it’s just another way of saying the same thing - there isn’t anyone disputing that idea, they’re just not entertaining it, because it’s not relevant.

Of course it's relevant. You don't want it to be relevant, which is very different.

The idea is that when we’re talking about sports, talking about averages as they apply within the general population simply isn’t relevant. What’s relevant are for example the fact that of that in a competition like the Olympics, and this is just to put it in context - 11,000 athletes competed, and the gender split was 50/50. Team USA was made up of 225 athletes - 115 men, 109 women, and one non-binary athlete; Team Iran was made up of 65 - 55 men, and 10 women. Looks like the US team were a tad more committed to the idea of gender equity than the Iranian team

That's exactly how equality of the sexes should work. Equal resources put into men's sport and women's sport, but separate competitions by sex. That system has worked well and we don't need to change it.

The point is that your whole ‘averages’ argument, is ideological, it’s fine on paper, but it doesn’t map to reality, not even slightly.

It doesn't map to reality. It is reality. You acknowledge it yourself but say it isn't or shouldn't be relevant. As for the "spoils" of the Olympics not being dished out evenly - that's a very cynical view of it. Do Olympic medalists value their medals less than any money they make out of endorsements, or do they resent others who make more money than they do? It's a separate issue regardless.

You talk about men being involved in women's sport as administrators etc. Again nobody has a problem with that in principle except maybe you would expect more women to get involved over time as men aren't better administrators than women.

That’s also notwithstanding the fact that you’ve forgotten, or perhaps overlooked the fact that were the status quo to remain as it is, you would have to allow for the fact that people who do not identify as women, would be competing with women, and would still be accused of having an unfair advantage if they were to have the appearance and characteristics of a stereotype of manhood. It’s not just the men you’d be concerned with, you’d also have to introduce new rules and policies and guidelines to maintain a stereotype based upon womanhood

"Maintain a stereotype based upon womanhood". That's absolutely wrong. This goes back to the crazy idea that took hold a few years back that determining sex is complicated. It's observed at birth and is right except in a tiny number of cases that can be resolved either way with rules.

Neither science nor biology are particularly helpful to anyone attempting to maintain societal norms which everyone else is expected to fit into. You don’t need me cherry picking the bits I do and don’t like from either science or biology to explain why those ideas simply don’t map to reality, especially in sports, especially in the context of a global scale where the point in winning is to be so exceptional as to be an outlier. It’s why there are as many outliers as there are in sports competitions - outliers excel because they use every advantage they have and it’s honed to the nth degree, well beyond what the average human being is capable of achieving.

I think this boils down to a battle of ideas over "identity". You want to define the category of woman in sport to include anyone who identifies as a woman. I'm not a woman myself, so this is not my battle primarily. But, if women want to maintain their space in sport for themselves, then they are going to have to fight for it, because that's really all it is, a fight over definitions and the meaning of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why only up until age 15? What happens after age 15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some professor at Purdue college said it is empowering women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In case it got missed in the new page.

How many NCAA Division 1 Championship Finals did Will Thomas compete in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Enduro

A very strong statelemt from Seb Coe, head of world Athletics. “gender cannot trump biology”.

I think that's the core of the discussion here. One side argueing that the female category should be defimed by gender/identity, the other side arguing that it should be definiteed by sex/biology I agree with Coe that sex/biology should be the determining factor in seperating the categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

first three replies:

• Conservative politician hands out participation trophy
    • why is the government involved in sports?
    • So let me see if I understand this right: A competition involving University of Virginia and University of Pennsylvania swimmers held in Atlanta, GA is what you're arguing, as the Gov of Florida, getting to declare the winner of?

Fair play for the measured response, credit where it’s due 😁 It’s an interesting point you raise about equestrian sports because there’s an ongoing debate over whether or not they will continue to be recognised by the IOC as an Olympic sport, given they are accessible only by a tiny minority of people who have the resources to be able to participate in the sport in the first place, and it truly is an horrendously expensive sport - my son recently has taken to it like a duck to water after years of me trying to steer him in the direction of rugby, hurling, swimming, etc. I don’t mind supporting him, I’m in the fortunate position that I can, but I just wish he’d developed a passion for a less expensive hobby! 😂

I think this boils down to a battle of ideas over "identity". You want to define the category of woman in sport to include anyone who identifies as a woman. I'm not a woman myself, so this is not my battle primarily. But, if women want to maintain their space in sport for themselves, then they are going to have to fight for it, because that's really all it is, a fight over definitions and the meaning of words.

From an outside perspective, outside of collegiate level sports in the US that is, I can understand why it might look like it boils down to a battle over definitions and meanings of words. But that’s not the reality of it, that’s simply the way it’s being portrayed by some people who are keen to maintain the status quo. Why do they want to maintain the status quo? Well, collegiate sports in the US is a $19 Billion dollar industry, annually. That’s right - BILLION, and the athletes themselves see very little of that money (until a recent case which determined that athletes may receive an income from their likeness being used) -

https://www.statista.com/chart/amp/25236/ncaa-athletic-department-revenue/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association_v._Alston

And in spite of having lost the case, the NCAA still manages to make themselves look like they give a shyte about the athletes and fairness and all the rest of it in sports -

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/6/30/ncaa-adopts-interim-name-image-and-likeness-policy.aspx

The sponsorships and so on are not an income for the athletes as such, they are an investment, and that sponsorship is only available to an elite few. It wouldn’t make any sense for sponsors to associate themselves with losers, in the same way as the IOC income from broadcasting rights is in the region of four billion (there’s that word again) dollars from American broadcasters like NBC, and an additional $7.5 billion from NBC in 2014, and again the athletes see very little of that income, and only the elite of the elite, are sponsored by brands who don’t wish for their brand to be associated with losers, never mind athletes who will never be seen by an audience of three billion people.

I’m trying to put it in context for you because this isn’t just about dictionary definitions or ‘science says this’ or any of the rest of it. It’s not even about laws and organisations arbitrary rules which individual States, sports organisations and even at the level of the President of the US who can issue Executive Orders on a whim (Obama included protection from gender and sex discrimination in Title 7, Trump issued an EO to reverse it, Biden issued an EO to reverse Trumps EO… you can see how it flip flops depending upon who’s in Office), it’s about maintaining the status quo which it’s greatest beneficiaries regard as entirely fair, to them at least… vs a mounting challenge to the status quo from the people who are benefiting very little from it, being joined by people who are being completely excluded from benefiting from it at all.

It’s about people who were never represented gaining equal respect and recognition and status as the tiny minority of people who are benefiting the most from the current status quo. Naturally, the people who are benefiting the most will play the victim and portray themselves as being under attack, but arguing to be regarded as being of equal status, to put an end to the flip-flopping fcukwittery over their legal status is not attacking anyone. That’s why the policies and laws needs to change, even if they’re forced to do it through gritted teeth, because they really, really don’t want to!

The dissent is gaining momentum, and it’s not just people who are transgender are arguing for recognition and representation, it’s a growing number of people who has ever known how it felt to be unfairly treated and discriminated against in order to uphold and maintain the status quo which was founded by a minority of people based upon some fairly shìtty beliefs about their own superiority over other people - beliefs that were never supported by science, beliefs that still aren’t supported by science, and trying to maintain that science supports their beliefs is doing nothing more than promoting pseudoscientific nonsense, because the “scientific evidence” to support their theories just doesn’t stand up to critical examination. It has as much legitimacy as Lisa Littman’s “scientific research”, which has been widely condemned for it’s perpetuating pseudoscientific nonsense -

https://aninjusticemag.com/what-parents-dont-know-study-reveals-fatal-flaw-of-rapid-onset-gender-dysphoria-c7cd95030c24

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lia Thomas case was a topic of conversation on Newstalk OTB today

https://youtu.be/sWgIB-tm5PU

Some of the comments off that link leave a lot to be desired

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

OTB actually give a shite about women's sport, so you can tell they've approached this subject in a fair and rational way.

Not like those in here who openly admit to not caring about women's sport.

do you care about women's sport?

because I don't. But I do care that women get to have the ability to have their own sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Here is a link to the swimming section in the Sports forum on Boards: https://www.boards.ie/categories/swimming

i could be missing something but a brief look at the first few pages of that sub forum had nothing about female swimming. Why the page after page here regarding a race won by a transgender woman?

because most people dont care about swimming. A lot of people care about transgenderism and the growing trend to accept belief over biology and the erasure of sex-specific spaces in order to accommodate people who believe their self determination of "gender" means they should be accepted as the biological sex that they identify as.

It's nothing to do with sport. It's everything to do with how people align when it comes to the specific culture war of gender identification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement