Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/guidelines/transgender?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I agree 100%

Men - cis and trans should compete against each other, and women - cis and trans should compete against each other.

Isn't it nice we have found common ground.

*hugs*

And?

This is indeed the question.

I do not claim to have the answer.

I am prepared to wait until there is more evidence and look at things on a sport by sport basis.

At the moment the evidence does not support the premise the transgender women have an appreciable advantage which make them more likely to win. The proof of this is they are being beaten in fair competition by cis women.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

The dunne is referring to men as males and women as females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm really not sure what your message is about, because it certainly wasn't a reply to the message you quoted.

I maybe be wrong though as it's hard for me to prove my international/provisional pedigree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think what @[Deleted User] means is separate categories based upon sex, without any regard to gender, as opposed to organising entirely separate governing bodies and competitions and awards exclusively for people who are transgender who wish to participate in sports.

It’s not that the events wouldn’t be accepted, it’s that even though they are established and have been for decades now, not all people who are transgender want the same thing, or will be satisfied with being excluded from participation in sports in accordance with their gender, same thing as not all people who aren’t transgender want the same thing. There isn’t just support for the idea coming from people who are transgender, it’s coming from people who want to lead social change in sports -

https://www.unlv.edu/news/release/more-games-olympics-and-global-spotlight-societal-issues

That’s just the Olympics, albeit the most well-known organisation among thousands of sports organisations and federations around the world. It’s undeniable that at every level in sports there is politics involved, and at a global level the politics involved are much more than just whether or not it is possible to maintain discrimination in sports based upon gender.

No doubt there will be people involved at every level in sports who will make every effort to ensure that they can still discriminate against people on the basis of their gender even though international and domestic laws in the countries in which they operate mandates otherwise.

Aww.

Sorry.

I meant male and female. I forgot that some people now consider biological men to be women and vice versa.

Pretty much oej.

Treat sex the way you treat age, height or weight. Undeniable, definable, and not open to interpretation based on how someone identifies

Your self identified gender shouldn't be a consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

transgender women will always beat cis women, every single time

no-one has ever claimed that, that's just a strawman you made up

Not so.

This is the current RFU policy

"Transgender female Players

To be eligible to participate in the female category of rugby a Transgender female player must meet the following criteria:

• she (parent or legal guardian in the case of a minor*) must provide a written and signed declaration that her gender identity is female and that she wishes to participate in the female category of rugby; *It is strongly encouraged that consent from a parent or legal guardian is provided, however where this is not forthcoming the consent of the Player alone may be acceptable in accordance with the principle of Gillick Competency. • she must demonstrate that the concentration of testosterone in her serum has been less than 5 nmol/L continuously for a period of at least 12 months immediately prior to application; and • she must keep her serum testosterone concentration below 5 nmol/L for so long as she continues to compete in the female category of rugby.

The RFU considered bringing in height /weight restrictions for trans women players where the decision would be left to the individual coaches. This has not been implemented to date as there is a push back from cis women who would be too tall/heavy according to this guideline and feel it sets a dangerous precedent in therm of policing players body mass.

I have to say, lot of people commenting here who don't seem to be up to date with what is happening in women's sports.

Some people here think trans women are banned from playing rugby. They aren't. They cannot (currently) play international. Any level below that is up to the individual national unions to decide. The RFU have decide they can.

• Advertisement

Is he?

Gosh.

I am referring to men and women as they are legally recognised.

Are you in any position to be accusing other people of making stuff up?

You claimed transwomen can't play rugby.

Did I quote you?

Genuine apologies if I did. I meant to respond to @AckwelFoley

My phone has decided to be uncooperative when I try to respond to specific posters. It's got a mind of it's own tonight.

I know.

Me and my outdated expectations that people will assume that when I say man, I don't mean someone born with a vagina.

I'm such a dinosaur.

Yes he is.

Nobody, at least from what I have read, has claimed that's "transgender women" will always beat "cis women", every single time.

That's a strawman (strawperson?) you made up.

I quoted World Rugby, who govern mens, womens and under 20's rugby union national teams, and rugby sevens.

i gave you the link where they explain their reasons,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Utter nonsense

International caps. Christ. If your going to counter my point trying to wedge some pride organised sport with elite professional rugby players you're again not at the races

If you're trying to spoof that men and women of an elite level rugby played full contact rugby you can try your spoofing elsewhere to someone that might believe it.

This thread is a steaming pile of shite. I won't be debating against complete and utter nonsense. It goes both ways, men and women don't and shouldn't compete in sports where there is a natural physical advantage.

Where the sport doesn't require this advantage such as darts or snooker, I'm all for it. That young woman that competes at the darts and is beating the men, Good for her, she's super popular and well respected.

have you not heard, birds are dinosaurs too...

I don’t think the lids going back on that box tbh. Organisations and federations have to acknowledge gender in order to remain relevant and attract new players and participants into whatever sport it is.

You might have some sort of leverage if it wasn’t a thing where there are dozens of other criteria which give athletes advantages over their competition, whether it’s financial support or development of the sport in any particular country or even whether or not the sport is recognised by the IOC which took great pride in it’s attempt at gender equality in the 2020 Olympics in a country with what can only be described as an odd take on the concept of human rights -

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/24/japan-ruling-party-accused-of-violating-olympic-charter-over-lgbt-rights

Sports organisations and federations can only survive while they have support, and unless they move with the times, they will have the same fate as any organisation which is no longer fit for purpose. People simply drift away and form their own organisations among themselves, and corporate sponsorship doesn’t be long following.

Perhaps you are right, but I can see this particular subject doing the opposite of what trans activists are looking for.

Anyway, seems pointless to even discuss as there will be no middle ground found on this subject.

• Advertisement

Personally I imagine what is likely to happen is the same thing we have seen in other domains in society besides sports - people weren’t interested in middle ground, I don’t imagine anyone is interested in middle ground because that means compromise. All that happened is people simply gravitated to whatever suited themselves. There wasn’t social media 30 years ago so it was considerably more difficult for ordinary people to find other people who were just like them. That’s simply not the case any more.

I’ll bet you can think of numerous examples throughout history where someone warned everyone that their campaigning would do the opposite of what they were hoping for, except it didn’t, and people got that much closer to their aim of being treated as equals.

Treating people as equals isn't the issue.

It's treating biological men as if they are biological females (or the other way around) that is the issue.

It's not asking for equality, it's asking for people to accept something that isn't true.

It would be like being compelled to accept that someone is a different age than they are or a height that they clearly aren't.

The conflation of gender and sex is too muddied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

"Ledecky on the other hand, is something of a phenomenon, and her time in the 1,650m freestyle event could be enough to qualify her to race in the men’s event. The record in the men’s event is 14:22:41. It’s just impossible to do any sort of a real calculation.."

Ledecky is something of a phenomenon but she would have been around a 50 metre pool length behind the fastest male swimmers in some of her events. Which shows the average performance difference between men and women and the reason why we have different categories.

Treating people as equals IS the issue if you’re making the point that people aren’t asking for equality, which is equal treatment without discrimination on the basis of gender. That isn’t asking anyone for their opinions on gender, it’s the opposite - devising policies where previously organisations could discriminate on the basis of gender, so that they are prohibited from doing so in the future. It’s not about peoples individual opinions, it’s about policies.

You’re not compelled to accept anything, it’s simply that you can no longer compel anyone to accept being discriminated against on the basis of gender. You wouldn’t accept unfair treatment, so it shouldn’t be a foreign concept to you that other people would be unwilling to accept being treated unfairly from their perspective.

I do treat people equally on the basis of their gender. I couldn't give a flying **** who identifies as what. I ignore that **** equally.

Their gender has absolutely no bearing on their sex.

It's not unfair at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I find these trans athletes very selfish.

Eh? It doesn’t show the reason why we have categories at all? It DOES show that it’s possible to have categories in sports based upon ability, without discrimination as to either sex or gender. We don’t have individual competitions solely for each competitor so every participant gets a medal, cos they’re all winners in their own right. That’s a nonsense platitude that isn’t applicable outside of kindergarten.

We’re not talking about average men and women when we’re speaking in the context of sports. Sports have rules and regulations as another poster pointed out earlier, so to suggest participation and categorisation in sports is purely about biology is just nonsense from the get-go!

When I was participating in competitive swimming and I was the same age as Ledecky at 16, she would have easily been faster than me. I can’t remember my time but I know it was well outside 15 minutes, and I had to swim 2km in order to qualify for a certificate as a lifeguard. I was ineligible to apply for an outdoor certification because I was still only 16 at the time and at the time (30 years ago now) applicants had to be 18. That was the policy. It wasn’t anything to do with me as an individual and whether I could meet all the other criteria.

Having been born with a congenital hip defect which my parents kept passing off as just me putting it on didn’t stop me from wanting to compete either, it just made me even more determined, and I ended up with incredible upper body strength and chicken legs because I never used my legs when swimming. It was only in my 20s I had to go private to have an operation done to try and repair the damage caused by the medical professionals at the time missing out on what should have been an easily detectable condition that all babies are tested for at birth, more commonly known as a ‘click-hip’ -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_dysplasia

Medical professionals make mistakes, it doesn’t mean anyone should have to live with the consequences of a mistake at birth which was someone else’s fault, and it should never mean that anyone should be subject to discrimination for something which is biological that they cannot change. I was fortunate enough that I’m able to change it, but people who are transgender are not so fortunate, and it doesn’t mean they should be prohibited or discriminated against from participating in sports in accordance with their gender because of what is recorded on their birth certificate.

It should be an obligation on organisations to change their policies, not an obligation on individuals to try and change who they are in order to be eligible to participate in sports without discrimination on the basis of their gender. The arguments about an invasion of men in women’s tennis didn’t happen in the 40 years since Renee Richards won the right to participate in women’s tennis, it was a specious argument then, and it’s as specious an argument now as is the whole trying to compare average men and women argument, ignoring all other context which doesn’t support your narrative.

Mate, just because the nearest you ever got to top level rugby is evoking a great player in your user name doesn't mean every one else is as ignorant of the mechanics of the game as you.

And like it or not - for fun on the international squads men and women have played together in full contact, 80 minute games. And got a right b*llocking from the coaching staff afterwards. It's actually good training for both.

Even at club level it's not unheard of for mixed training sessions. Ask Donnacha O'Callaghan what he learned scrummaging against the women's team his sister played on. Women generally have a lower centre of gravity therefore can crouch lower then men and have more ability to then drive from the hips (those child baring hips come in handy) - very hard to defend against.

I have seen, and participated in, mixed teams playing at tournaments including Highfield Easter and Kinsale 7's. Although why the hell a prop like me was playing 7s is still a mystery - but people get injured... drunk...lost... and teams consisting of the sober(!) and willing get cobbled together for the craic.

But you don't want to know anything about that because it doesn't fit your world view.

Girls and boys can play on mixed gender teams up to the age of 15 with the full sanction of World Rugby if that is the only way the players can continue to play the game- full contact but modified scrums or 'schoolboy rules' as they are known.

As for Transwomen playing rugby against cis women - the FFR also allow it

According to the New York Times :

Four women’s rugby powers, the United States, England, Canada and Australia, said they would ignore the ban when holding domestic competitions. New Zealand is expected to follow suit.

Transwomen can and do play rugby against cis women, have been doing so for years, and to date there is zero evidence that this has lead to a greater number, or more severe, injuries.

I'm sure it's a co-incidence that the home nations that allow it also happen to be the same one's with the top ranked women's international teams - although transwomen are not allowed to play at international level. I know in my playing days I would have relished a front row battle with a transwomen - just to see if she really did have some alleged 'advantage' and, if so, how I could counter it. What a fantastic challenge that would have been.

But fair dues to you that you think it's grand that women can compete against men in darts and snooker. There are many here who will disagree with you.

Thankfully this thread isn't about cis men competing against cis women.

It's about transwomen competing against cis women.

The men can make the sammiches.

Post edited by Bannasidhe on

• Advertisement

I was referring to your complaint that you’re being asked to accept something that isn’t true. You’re not. You’re being prohibited from discriminating against anyone on the basis of their gender. Same laws which apply to everyone apply to you too. That way nobody has to care for your validation or approval (or anyone else’s for that matter), they’re protected from discrimination by law.

Your whole point centres around the fact that you’re now prohibited by law from treating anyone unfairly on the basis of their gender, and I know you remember there are exemptions in Irish law in certain circumstances, which only permit discrimination as a means of achieving a legitimate aim. That’s what it means for people to be treated as equals in law, and nobody has to give a fiddlers for your personal opinions on the subject.

(I do though, cos you’re not the worst 😁)

Advertisement