Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it's mostly Azov Battalion down there. They know full well if they surrendered, they would killed by the Russians. Amazing effort down there.

Saying that, once the Russians take what's left of Mariupol, Putin may take that as his win. He has gotten rid of his Nazi's, taken most of Donbass & Luhansk and just call it a day. It could be his get out.

Ukraine also get rid of their nazi problem and the Azov Battalion go down as National Heroes.

It's a bit of a grim scenario that may suit all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Something to do with some kind of "pecking order" among dog breeds ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Just to comment on your ideas about this. If it has to happen very suddenly (a separation from China say, as is being done with Russia at the moment), it is going to be chaos and there will be a huge global economic crisis. I can't actually wrap my head around it really. However, I think you do exaggerate a bit (other post) claiming we are 40-50 years with a critical dependency built up on China and other cheap non US/non Western manufacturing and outsourcing locations to run our economies and provide standard of living we expect. It perhaps began back in 1980s when free marketeers had long stretches in govt. in the US/UK, but it has really picked up in pace post 2000. It has only gotten to the dangerous state that exists now (where the disconnection would cause a crisis/disaster) post the IT/communications revolution and China joining WTO and opening up more to investment.

There is maybe 20-30 years of outsourcing critical manufacturing and services to put into reverse, so if the policy changes start today and are kept to by governments its going to take on scale of a 1 (maybe too optimistic)-2 decades at least to correct it more gradually. Afair the important things in life (job, house, transport [car], raising children, healthcare, retirement) were really not any less affordable or available than now and were not of a terrible standard back in those years in the rich Western countries. People travelled far less abroad, they had less cheap throwaway "stuff" of all types incl. electronics and they waited a bit longer to get what they wanted. The hyper-consumerism had not got fully into gear. I'm not sure if rowing back from this will be a bad thing at all in the end provided its a weaning rather than a shock. Another aspect is the rich had not yet pulled quite as far away from the rest of us in countries like the US (and they are the ones driving alot of this consumption...maybe they should take alot of the hit in that area). The (originally Western) MNCs hadn't bloated up to the size and power they are now etc, thanks to global markets and supply chains.

Also reverting supply chains and critical manufacturing and services in Western economies to be more like what they were 2-3 decades ago as regards location does not mean rejecting 2-3 decades of technological and scientific progress made in the interim like a complete luddite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know a few Russians living here and for a long time too. They really like, even love Ireland and if prodded are actually very quick to come to her defence, but you get very little criticism or rather no thoughtful critique of Russia itself. Now these would be mostly over 35 so there's that. Like you say the older generation who lived through the 90's and genuinely see putin, for all his faults, and they will acknowledge that actually, as someone who dragged them out of that. And in spite of the West. They went from communist Russia where times might have been hard at times, but they were all in the same boat together and it was stable enough and there was pride in the USSR. Then the promise of a new dawn after that, which ended up with them being utterly screwed over by pirates and for a time it was worse than the USSR had been and pride was lost. Now they were their own pirates, but they add blame at the west for that for not doing more. That they had to clean house internally and putin was the result and the very man to do it.

I 100% hear you CB, but what I have found - and long before this shítshow kicked off too - is the Russian(and many from the former Soviet states too) folks I know think "we're" just as brainwashed. If not more. Contrary to popular belief they don't 100% trust their media either. They don't trust media in general(look at the uptake of covid vaccines here. At one point the unvaccinated sick in hospitals had a strong bias towards ex Soviet background people living here. They weren't exactly lining up in droves in Russia either, even with Kremlin support). They've grown up with a controlled narrative and clumsily applied with it, so have that suspicion. They reckon we're more naive to trust our media and sources and think we do so because ours is more subtle and polished, so we're less suspicious. And IMHO they'd have some point to make.

The difference, and once again IMHO, they don't seem to grasp so easily is that we are exposed to far more narratives and opinions and often extremely contrary ones than they've ever been. They're suspicious of different narratives out of the box because of that background. They have one narrative so they will question that within boundaries, but different narratives are a blank spot in general. They also seem to rely far more on hearsay and what a "friend/relative told me is The Truth(tm)".

So yes we in the West are exposed to spin all the bloody time, but different spins. And we're used to that and will make up our minds accordingly. EG Outlet A will report Event X and usually accurately enough, but will then spin the reality to their ends. Outlet B will report Event X and usually accurately enough, but will then in turn spin the reality to their ends. For Russians all their outlets will spin Event C the exact same way out of the gate and usually not accurately. A very different mindset and approach.

Add in that dichotomy of the "West" being both something good and aspirational and also something to be feared that has attacked Mother Russia for generations. So when push comes to shove they'd rather listen to the devil they think they know, than the devil that is at best confusing, or mildly and often overtly antagonistic to them.

So IMHO it's not nearly so simplistic that they're brainwashed imbeciles or terrorist supporters. That's too easy a read. Put it another way; if you're an atheist why would you read and believe religious media, and vice versa? If you had suspicions that a Ukrainian opinion/report/Fact in this war was dubious, even utter bollocks, how quick would you question it and do so openly in this thread? And here we're much freer to come out with such opinions. Imagine growing up in a world where you weren't. Especially if an opinion made you start to question your own deeply held beliefs and facts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not liking what I’m reading about this Azov group.

Not a good look for Ukraine and zelensky to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Maybe NATO can give an ultimatum

Withdraw your troops or we will be at war on such a date

On the build up to this date we evacuate all the large population centres

If they don't withdraw on that date then NATO hits them hard, obliterate their military

If they respond with nuclear missiles then NATO responds in kind

Yes, thousands would be killed but if we don't stop Putler then millions will die

• Registered Users Posts: 35,962 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah jaysus Liam. 🤣🤣 They are soooo bad at spin and propaganda it's beyond Monty Python level farce. I suppose that's what you end up with when all you've had before is a captive and hungry audience who will swallow any bloody thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They sure have a hard neck. All of their talk about Ukrainians being "Nazis", "drug addicts" and "bandits" strikes me as being 100% racist and yet they are the one complaining about receiving hate.

"Ukrainians will proudly remember their sacrifice and refusal to surrender vs. overwhelming odds against them"

Indeed there will be some interesting stories, books and no doubt films to come out of the conflict with a mix of fiction and non fiction no doubt

The Ghost of Kiev 🛩

The Mariupol Defenders ⚔️

The Sunflower Seed Lady 🌻

Zealous Zelensky 🇺🇦

The list will go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I think the big question is who will do these jobs and at what level of pay? The west has more or less full employment so if all the outsourced work or factory’s came back to Europe or US there would need to be mass immigration and existing resources would be stretched to the point they would break….just look at housing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Ukrainians fear that Belarusian armoured forces will invade and go towards Lviv.

If face-to-face combat goes that near the Polish border and a missile fired by Russian or Belarusian forces goes in a certain direction .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I roared laughing @Wibbs - I saw it on my YT feed - naturally iv been watching a lot of stuff on the war - so 'recommended for me'

my initial reaction

followed by

I mean its beyond pathetic - Can you imagine the mental state of people in a meeting. Of 'Western Aimed Propaganda' - signing off - on that

'Yes. That will Definitely Konvince those Western fools Komrade - Good work - You now receive 'Hero of Soviet Union Russian Federation'

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Going back quite awhile, a poster mentioned that his Russian wife had a guaranteed and fool proof way to end the war, overnight. Her solution? Offer every soldier an EU passport......

"If they respond with nuclear missiles then NATO responds in kind

Yes, thousands would be killed but if we don't stop Putler then millions will die"

If they respond with nuclear and NATO responds in kind that thousands can have several zeros added onto the end of it on both sides.

Millions would die in a nuclear war and worse still, it's highly likely those who survive would be envious of those who didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Any apparent collapse of the Russian state, especially Russian security forces, would be a calamity. Rogue missile commanders, rogue missile sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

"We've never seen this, not since WW2, maybe not even then." Daft prick never heard of Aleppo did he. On his watch and did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Today, Lachlan visited a group of young Ukrainian cyclists who have had to flee their homes and are now being hosted by the Polish cycling federation.

etween the ages of 14 and 17, most of them have had to move there alone leaving parents and older siblings behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭maebee

Someone suggested a few days ago that this thread should be re-named and I agree. I can't remember the suggestion details but it really should be changed from "Russia" to "Russian invasion of Ukraine". This thread is about nothing other than the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Why do they still call him "Mr. President "?

He first says former President when introducing, but then addressee him directly as Mr. President, not the first time I've seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's pretty standard to address former presidents as, "Mr. President".

Would second that, then have another thread called Russia which could be a general Russian non invasion thread which contains 0 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

As predicted that Russian paper which released Russian MOD figures of military deaths (almost 10k) has quickly retracted the article and claimed it was "hacked".

At least now we have an idea of how many Russian casualties there have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sometimes we divert into opining on why Russia is the way it is and political developments in Russia. Obviously the invasion of Ukraine will dominate the thread, though. I don't think anyone's clicking on the thread expecting to find us in the middle of a discussion about the situation in the Caucuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'm kind of just waffling here and not putting significant thought into it or how things would change I suppose (and maybe I should shut up, as its very off topic...) but first it doesn't all have to come back.Also on unemployment/availability of workers, perhaps not here (Ireland) but thought there were some European countries with large amounts of persistent unemployment (haven't checked rates though) + also under-employment in areas. Even in US, alot of not so great lower skilled jobs that maybe keep people employed, but aren't particularly productive (could a machine do them?), are insecure and do not pay very well. I think any manufacturing stuff that comes back from China/India or the like is not going to operate in the way it did when it moved there (or how it works now). It will be more automated first because it is new investment and that is the way the world is going anyway and also because workers are going to be somewhat dearer and as you point out in shorter supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

The way the Russian army is behaving I'd say that even now, command and control if far from 100%. And as time goes on and things get worse for the invaders ( and get worse they will. ) Troop control will deteriorate...drunken officer's do not command respect, never mind confidence. So while I hope that Missile sites are under stricter control, I would not like to bet my life on it either even in the present time's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I doubt the Russians have any intention any more of striking out for Ukraine's western frontiers (if they ever did) and if the Belarussians proposed that on their own bat they would very likely discourage them. I'm sure the Russian commanders on the ground at least realise Lviv would be several bridges too far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

There's an odd echo in there of an anecdote by George W. Bush. He said in an interview that he never saw eye to eye with Putin. When Putin visited them he scorned Bush's little pet Scottish Terrier 'Barney'. A year later Bush was in Moscow and Putin brought in this enormous hound and said 'bigger, stronger and faster than 'Barney''. Bush puts it pretty plainly, Putin has a massive chip on his shoulder. It makes you wonder if he had a hand in this himself. It's not very subtle how some of the dogs are overweight, bored, undisciplined and fighting amongst themselves while the 'Russian' dog is obedient and pristine! What a bunch of jerks behind this.

Putin must be apoplectic at the disastrous incompetence of the Russian army being broadcast day after day. I think he has clear narcissistic traits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement