Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

The sad thing is, you can clearly see in Zalensky's words prior to this whole thing kicking off, that he was convinced that he had the full backing of the west. And even seemed to be convinced of the inevitability of NATO membership...

Perhaps whatever was said in the back channels, created this level of conviction. Even the fact that he has been practically begging for a NATO no-fly zone, looks like quite a surreal amount of naivety on his part.

But then he is an actor by trade, not someone with high level political acumen. It probably shouldn't be surprising if he was led down the primrose path in such a manner.

And yes, I agree with you. The Bush administration "poked the bear" with NATO, but that was back when they were far weaker. The bear got a bit stronger, but the west were lulled into a false sense of security. Really if it's all about peace and security in the region, the question must be asked why play such potentially dangerous games?

Part of the answer in my mind is arrogance. Thinking that Russia had no teeth left, or that the cold war had left enough scars and fatigue that nobody in Russia had the stomach for a fight.

If that was the assumption, we have all found out to our cost how wrong they were. (not least Ukraine)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Our neutrality is a load of nonsense anyway, we arent actually neutral in the grand scheme of things we are very much on the side of NATO as it is you only have to look at the usage of Shannon airport for the Americans during there war on terror.

All this peacekeeping bollox and the mentality that we are holier than thou because of it and being neutral is just a whole load of back patting.

The reality is we are completely and utterly defenseless and completely reliant on the good will of stronger/nastier nations to leave us alone we have 0 deterrents from cyber threats and the likes its a joke really we cant even patrol our own area effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"If NATO was really about the protection of people then Ukraine would have been in it"

????

I've never seen this yoga pose before.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I suggest you research the subject then comment. If you don't know what is being referred to, I have no time to inform you.

Francie, you dissapppoint me. You post something so contradictory, opaque and logically contorted to the point of meaninglessness. And then you scuttle off trying to pull rank as if you have some sort of special knowledge that the rest of us don't enjoy.

1/10

• Advertisement

You stated that eastern European states are in NATO sa they wouldn't be screwed around with.

If that was reason, why isn't Ukraine in NATO?

Give a wild guess Francie. Mind you don't come across as a Putinpot in answering btw.

I asked you.

I couldn't care less what you want to label me as BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How does it feel like to be on the same side of UKIP and Nigal Farage on this one Francie?

Well, I guess its true to form.

When Francie makes a grade A fool of himself with such nonsensical utterances, he normally retorts with some hand waving whataboutism and moral authority of sorts, which is really just cover for his previous mishaps.

Its a tried and tested way for him to go off and try and reset the debate again.

Wont fool ol Marko though. ;)

• Advertisement

Simple one for you.

Do you think the average Pole or Latvian feel safer or less safe that they are in NATO?

And if so, why so?

If it is about people not getting screwed around, why is Ukraine not in NATO already mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

"Don't forget for many years, we have been training with other EU countries in what are called battle groups, which is an unfortunate name."

Isn't it just Simon..isn't it just, especially when you're trying to hoodwink the Irish people about an EU army and handing away our neutrality, typical Brussels slight of hand...

You didn't answer my question.

Do you think the average Pole or Latvian feel safer or less safe that they are in NATO?

This one was asked first.

If it is about people not getting screwed around, why is Ukraine not in NATO already mark?

By the way, any Pole, I have heard interviewed is afraid Putin will continue on into Poland. So the answer is no to your question, the threat seems very real to them.

So the answer is no to your question, the threat seems very real to them.

Not for the first and last time you are so utterly wrong.

Yet, here you are still Putin's mouthpiece on all things NATO.

You're dancing on the head of a pin.

The only reason Poland hasn't been dragged into this war or indeed attacked and fatally undermined in the past by Russia is NATO. The threat of raw-brute iron, steel, and death from above for advancing Russian forces by the treaty alliance.

Weak-kneed hand wringing and sanctimony from political cranks living far across the other side continent doesn't wash with the democratic governments and peoples of Eastern Europe who want their rights, freedoms and sovereignty preserved from an irredentist nationalist Russia who for a long time have threatened to undermine and destroy the democratic gains since the fall of the Berlin Wall. You didn't believe the warnings about Putin then, and you plug your ears to them now.

As you go to sleep tonight in your Moscow Mick jim jams and proceed to count shirtless Putins jumping over fences, you can thank NATO you'll wake up under a sky where a treaty alliance you decry protects the citizens of Europe and our political partners in the EU that we rely on for our wealth and wellbeing as a nation from a further expansion of this war. I'm not shy to say I'm glad of that fact, but you're slow to admit it's a hard reality.

You can giggle, prevaricate and float silly bad-faith questions on forums all you like, but the next time you look a Polish person in the eye, know that their relatives and friends in Gdansk, Wroclaw and Lublin sleep sounder and enjoy the freedom from fear because of their membership of NATO - a freedom that has been brutally stolen from the people of Ukraine by an autocrat you're being very slow to condemn and assign blame to for the current horrific circumstances if we're to be honest about things.

Europe has learned an important lesson in the past few months: When an autocrat with a standing army speaks of irredentist desires and starts unsheathing his sword in the pursuit of those desires, you best believe what he says.

And a second-order lesson is that home-grown enablers and apologists of these autocrats in Europe should be banished even further to the political fringes of public life on our continent. Their brains are mush, and they have nothing to add to our democratic well-being and understanding of what makes our societies tick. They're fifth columnists who should have their bank accounts pored over by prosecutors and forensic accountants - because you can be damn sure a lot of them have taken dirty money over the years. It's the nihilists and sad acts who do the cheer-leading for free that I really feel sorry for.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

As if an irish political establishment,which geos all in on leaking confidential state documents would be let within an asses roar of nato/eu army

Medium to long term,what an eu army would likely be involved with,would be best avoided for irish troops given our history imo

It's the nihilists and sad acts who do the cheerleading for free that I really feel sorry for.

Nail.on.head.

I would that your post 100 times if I could, the Putin bots need to be called out.

That's a poll from 2016. 6 years before this invasion. The Ukrainians didn't believe he would invade either mark...they were tragically wrong.

Now are you ready to answer my question?

• Advertisement

Would you just answer the question which has nothing to do with Poland.

If NATO has the interests and safety of people first and foremost at heart - WHY is Ukraine not in NATO.

Looks like I'll be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Irish neutrality. Not really a thing that most members of the public have really ever bothered about. Even

Apart from the odd old intellectual lefty, now in their 60s and 70s, who flirted with CND back in the day.

Always a nice angle for politicians to raise very occasionally, to add to the list of other soundbites about us as nation of the world. That conversation usually begins with how friendly we are.

All the time relying on the RAF or British Navy to protect our airspace and waters.

The media always able to push the very good news story about Irish peacekeepers wherever they are deployed. Always one of those cuddly feel good stories, regularly trotted out.

Then you have the nationalists who must grit their teeth and bite their lower lips, everytime the Royal Navy and RAF are ever merely mentioned. Oh, the torture.

Seriously though, it is quite the conundrum. I can see us being part of some EU fudge on this, if the EU is still comfortable with opt and opt outs, but folks it's all very raw at the moment. We'll have to see what our view is over the next few years.

I suspect the cost to the national purse, if there is any, will focus most people's minds on the issue.

You will be waiting because it's a dumb question.

You're dancing on the head of a pin using a full-on paranoid Putinbot talking point that's one of the pretexts to the disgusting illegal war that is upending the continent.

Look at you, 8am on a Tuesday, probably before you even brushed your teeth "Anshur moi queshchun"

No Francie.

NATO membership takes time and there are a lot of requirements set out - things like being a democracy, politically stable, having military forces under control, no outstanding border disputes. NATO doesn't want to let people in who are going to drag them into a conflict.

Ukraine currently doesn't meet most of the conditions, putting it politely. That answers your question of why it is not already in NATO.

They had hoped to get in eventually, they had been asking for a timetable. It's off the table now.

It didn't take 'time' for the other states funnily enough.

So at least we have an answer - they are not in it because they didn't meet the criteria. So we can conclude that the motive was not protection of it's people.

Bush and Clinton have been playing the geo political game with NATO is the honest answer here and Putin was too. The problem is that Putin was serious and the game is now a real one.

The poll sees that the vast vast majority of Polish think NATO provides protection. 62% to 8%.

I would imagine given what Russia is doing to Ukraine now, that the numbers are much higher, which of course blows your Putin-bot theory out of the water....

Ask your average Eastern European their view of NATO and you will get put in your place. You exist and spout your nonsense from a position of vast privilege. Maybe check it sometimes.

A classic 2 + 2 = a batter burger.

You are outdoing yourself this morning Francie. It must be a lonely place.

You cannot change historical facts mark. You can change your view of them and you are free to do that, but don't expect everyone to be convinced.The historical facts are that long before Putin decided to invade...even in 2014, NATO and principally the American membership was shipping criticism. See this article for some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It would also mean we have to join any illegal American invasion of a sovereign country so we wouldn't"only benefit"

Personally I like being from a country that doesn't commit war crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

It wouldn't at all. NATO has never invaded a country.

Advertisement