Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with magnetic pickups?

Options
  • 22-03-2022 10:30am

I rang a local musical instrument shop, and I was told by the clerk that magnetic pickups are rubbish. Instead of recommending me an amp for a magnetic pickup, I had almost been pushed to buy a condenser mic, mixer, and other nonsense.

Anyone using a magnetic pickup on a guitar that they don't want to butcher with holes?

Please let me know your setup. I only want to play at home with some headphones on. I'm not planning on selling out Croke Park anytime soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nearly all pickups are magnetic as far as I know, quality varies like most things but unless they're broken completely they should be fine for what you want, sounds like the clerk's upselling or doesn't have a clue.

Thanks, @bladespin . That's what I thought. Funny you should say that, as the musical shop does not sell magnetic pickups or any pickups whatsoever (according to their website).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Are you talking about an acoustic instrument? Usually, piezo pickups are used on acoustic, which sit under the bridge. It's possible to get magnetic pickups that sit in the sound hole, that'll need installation through the strap pin. It's possible that the shop don't like doing those installs.

If you're talking about electric guitars, the person in the shop hasn't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Find a good luthier, most are dead sound and will fit a pickup for you , fishman are the standard, piezo are more sophisticated

post a link to the instrument and give us a look

“magnet pickups are rubbish “ is a hilarious statement though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

If its an electric bass or guitar, then the shop assistant is an idiot.

Acoustics are a whole different kettle of fish.

Under saddle piezos are the most common, but there are transducers and internal mics as well as soundhole pickups that are magnetic.

this week I fitted my first soundhole pickup (to a yamaha 12 string) after 30 years of piezos. it sounds fine!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have an acoustic guitar (an old Yamaha FG model). Now, if he mentioned what I said for an electrical guitar, I would 100 % agree with you all 🤣!

I know the aesthetics of a sound hole pickup are not ideal, but I do not mind. I do mind the lead poking out of the sound hole. I'm just a bit nervy to put my 30-year-old guitar through a butchering process. I'm having our house renovated, and my confidence in getting others to do things right is a bit disturbed.

Here it is:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Here's mine. It's a flanger pickup off ebay, with an artec preamp/strap jack and an external battery box because I despise those horrible bags held in place (very temporarily) with velcro.

No visible wires!

Viva Yamaha!

Its a 1972 FG-410-12A BTW

Post edited by martinedwards on

Advertisement