Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

That’s the worst ever.

Mickey G has to go now otherwise they won’t bate Tipp in croker or Antrim in corrigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

We won the game so it’s not the worst ever. That said, Mickey has now overseen some terrible results on his watch. Wicklow last year was arguably the worst ever.

The 2012 home loss to Offaly still holds a place in my heart as the “worst ever” - that I witnessed anyway. They were one of the worst intercounty teams I had ever seen and they beat us.

In relation to the drop in performance, Tipp have the excuse of a high turnover of players from 2020. We’ve lost few if any.

These players are all highly experienced and are winners at both underage and senior level so I don’t think it’s them. I’m not a fan of changing the manager too much but Mickey & the lads need to find out what is wrong quickly and address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

As far as I can tell Cavan are not yet promoted. If we lose by 6 pts or more to Waterford, Tipp draw with London and there is a winner between sligo and Leitrim we would lose out on score difference

Didn't make today's match but that's a very worrying result. You'd have to wonder what exactly is going on in that camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Nope, we are not promoted. We are playing officially the worst team in the country next weekend so, as bad as things seem to be, you’d have to expect we will win. It really would be the “worst ever” if we didn’t.

Tipp beat Carlow by double scores today and are motoring well after a poor start. Unless there’s a dramatic improvement, we won’t be winning League silverware this year either.

Waterford lost by 2 points to sligo today and finished the game with 11 players and also had one of their management team sent off.

• Advertisement

I think they should give Ray an Xbox with Fifa 2022 next weekend so he can be in charge of every pass in the game and give the sub goalie a run out.

I don’t think it could be said that we’re playing well but not blowing teams away. The performances have been poor and we have struggled to put 70 good minutes together in any game.

There just doesn’t seem to be something right because I firmly believe these players are better than they are showing.

Ray has played every minute of every game under Graham. If poor aul Liam Brady doesn't get a run out this weekend, then when will he?

So I have an issue as stated before with the amount of mouthing Ray is doing, coming out in the middle of the field and dictating to every player what to do. In my opinion that is not what a keeper or indeed a leader should do on the pitch. Lads need freedom to make decisions waiting to hear Ray tell you to go back or forward, left or right is not what you want to be hearing. Communication is important in all sports but that communication is normally directed when you see an issue, a man not being tracked, a fella drifting in behind the full back etc. I wasnt at the London game but i read on another forum similar stuff coming from the line. I would lose the plot if I was a player listening to that. Its too robotic and is in effect coaching creativity out of lads. So for me Ray who is a great keeper should stay in goals a bit more, tone it down and let lads play and same for the line if they are at the same. And give Liam Brady a run out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Oisin was injured and yeah only match squad were allowed travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

Is the league final 2nd April at Croke Park?

It seems all 4 finals are scheduled for that day so can't all be at HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Where did you see that it was switched to 6pm on Saturday?

It's on gaa website

Mickey Brennan and Damien Donohoe said on the commentary that Oisin Kiernan was injured.

The Waterford Cavan game has been switched?

My other big worry is that we could do with putting up a bit of a blanket ourselves as we are being cut wide open at the back on occasion. It's confusing how we are so pedestrian going forward yet so easy to get at in the backline.

There's a full round of club fixtures scheduled for 3 on Saturday. I wonder will they be moved back to Sunday now. There's nothing up on Cavan GAA Twitter about a move.

Re the Leagur finals, I think they are all scheduled for the weekend of 2nd April. The usual routine is 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Yea League Finals are usually Div 4 and 3 on the Saturday and Div 2 and 1 on the Sunday but looking at the GAA website they only have Div 1 that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Is it because the London / Tipp game is the night before for travelling purposes for the London panel? If Tipp win that or lose then Cavan’s result is redundant the next day- so I assume on that basis both games are the same time.

Yep, that’s my understanding. Remember getting a late night division three game one Saturday night.

beaten by the Rossies in a league final. Which was the style at the time.

That was a Division 2 semi final I think in 2007. Meath beat Monaghan in the other semi and then beat the Rossies.

I went to Meath Donegal Division 2 final in 2019 and the Division 4 between Leitrim and Derry was before it on the Saturday evening.

It's a strange setup at the moment. Carlow vs Wexford is at 1 Saturday. Cavan vs Waterford at 6. London vs Tipp at 7. Sligo and Leitrim the next day on Sunday is at 1. I thought the Sligo Leitrim game is the one people was arguing should be moved as it's a pointless game if both Cavan and Tipp win, therefore it would be better off being at the same.

• Advertisement

I missed Sunday (thank christ i didn't pay for a flight and all the trimmings for that- spoken like a real Cavan man) but in the other games, I am struggling to get my head around what I am seeing. I think Yevon or Cavan_King have made the point that we are having the odd 10 minute burst but that is it. Is it a case that like most fans the players just want out of Division Four? That once they get a bit of a lead that is all?

I know someone said there's nothing to be gained from giving everyone a hiding (even if we were set up to do it) but I can't see the value in the risk-averse way we are playing. And as you point out, we are unbelievably open at the back. We could have conceded 2 or 3 against Tipp and same again against London. Even Carlow could have had a goal or two more. Don't get me started on the tackling. Gunner, Faulkner and McLoughlin aside we just seem to be ready to concede frees as part of our "tackling".

However, as the eternal optimist, i still think we will come out with more intensity in the Antrim game. We were awful flat in all our league games and came out of the traps against Monaghan in 2019. We all scratched our heads in 2020 about how awful we were against the Rossies and Kildare, yet we clicked into gear a few weeks later. Big gamble that the spark can be switched on and off at will. But I am hoping that we have a few more gears to kick into.

As for Saturday, I am predicting like almost all of our league games, we will have a few spells of good football, get 4/5 points ahead and then absolutely lose momentum, leaving most fans biting their nails and watching the clock. Let's hope we don't, but I think that is what will happen. All we do is to get over the line. After the Wicklow debacle, we cannot be complacent.

I was trying to get my head around it, but there is no sense at all to it. To me, it's a typical response to division four as if "sure what does it matter what goes on there". I think it's very disrespectful to the likes of Sligo & Leitrim who have trained and put the graft in to possibly play a game without anything at stake. We all want the last day drama, the aul fellas with the radios pressed to their ears... (or young fellas with their fancy Twitter updates).

Tackling has been very poor and I can't see why it has been. Surely that is something that somebody like McMenamin, who played a very defensive game with Fermanagh, should be improving.

We're not defending well but then we're also not scoring well. It's all a bit of a mish-mash at the moment.

James Smith seems to have big disciplinary issues. You can't continue going into games with a lad that is going to end up with a red or black card.

People have been saying that re the hard training and being sluggish since last year! Part of Andre Quinn's role is to have them ready. We're only 4 weeks from Championship now and it appears there are a number of injuries that need to be cleared up. It'd be good to get minutes into the legs of Conor Brady, Conor Smith and Martin Reilly, for example, before the start of championship.

At least the podcast was a bit more realistic in their review of the London game. The performances are way below par so far this year. I thought our scoring statistics were shocking. Gearoid top scorer from play over 7 matches with 1-18. Caoimhin Reilly is in the top five scorers I think with 1-4! You're watching League Sunday and seeing Sam Mulroy kick 1-9 in a single match for Louth. Shane McGuigan regularly does similar for Derry.

You also see the scores that Tipp and Sligo are putting up on teams and we are getting nowhere near that. We're playing Division 4 football and haven't hit the 20 point mark in any game yet.

Our lack of scoring isn't just down to forwards, but very much with how we are set up to play. It's so risk averse and about game management. But why in division four? No disrespect, but surely we are good enough to have a crack at the likes of London or Carlow? And as you pointed out, it's not like we aren't being cut open at the same time.

We know that relegation last year was a total embarrassment and hurt the players and management. I just keep wondering if this very stale possession football is affording too much respect to the opposition and focussing on getting the results to get us out of division four.

By the way, I don't agree with this as an approach but i am trying to get my head around how we approach each game so far. I can see the logic when we are against a gale in managing the possession and being patient but when we are 1-5 up with the breeze against the likes of London that we can't just go for it and put down a marker rather than sit back, be patient (and then inevitably let the opposition back into the game).

I feel that if we can't learn to take risks and take scores against division four teams when are our younger forwards suddenly going to kick into gear come championship? That scoring that you listed isn't a case that our forwards are kicking games away, they aren't even being encouraged to do for it.

You are indeed correct in regard to the forwards. There is far too much sideways, lateral and robotic play. As you say, players afraid to make a mistake. It's as if players are afraid to kick the ball and lose it. I was talking to a supporter the other evening who felt this is nothing new. He pointed to Chris Conroy against Dublin in the All Ireland semi final. He felt Conroy tried a couple of kick passes that went astray and was then hauled off.

I don't know if Mickey is trying to mimic Dublin under Jim Gavin but I think teams have moved on from that. Listening to an interview with Niall Morgan the other day, he pointed to how Tyrone go for far more long kick outs now because, even if they lose the ball, the opposition has to get back through their defence. If they take a short kick out, its disaster if they lose the ball and its a lot of work to get it up the pitch if they do keep it. That is a big change from the last decade where we saw very few midfield aerial battles.

Football is evolving constantly and it would be very difficult to carbon copy the system of that Dublin team of the last decade.

Not only has the game moved on, but we were at our very best in 2020 when we went for it- not just the Monagahan and Down (second halves) and Donegal games, but also the league wins over Westmeath and Laois when we just went for it. Not reckless kick and hope, but fast transition, intensity and willingness to take risks and take scores on.

When the shackles come off and we just play to our strengths we always look dangerous, when we are methodical we just look toothless.

Another mention for us on the latest podcast. Apparently the pair of bucks were just giving their honest opinion on the Tipp game and other people are entitled to their opinion but Damien would have more respect if they emailed in their criticism. I have no issue with that but my gripe is I don't find it realistic to say that Cavan missed 5-21 or whatever ridiculous stat was being rolled out.

A lot of people around the county are talking about how they feel stats are ruining the team and certainly a stat like that is an attempt to brush over what was another poor display. There was a bit more realism this week with the criticism of the London game but there were also mentions now of how Cavan supporters are unhappy with winning 5 out of 6 games. As I've pointed out previously of course we are. We're a a team as per most ranking tables that are around 13th in the country whereas every team in this Division is at least ten places below us with Tipp being the highest at 24th.

I'm not sure why there appears to be a clear inaction to get some new contributors onto the podcast. We've heard all week about the great craic and everyone the WAC team met in London so why not invite a few of them onto the podcast for some alternative views? We've have several years listening to the same two voices now which, isn't a slight on the lads whom I do enjoy listening to, but it would be interesting to hear some other views and stories. I was actually hoping we'd get some content with Mickey Brennan this week re the game as he was in London and, in fairness to him, he seemed as downbeat as most supporters following the game on the radio.

And Paul Fitz, when you're reading this, why not register and engage with us on here rather than reading and addressing our points on the pod? One of the We Are Meath lads contributes to the Meath thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Are they lifting things from here for content and the expecting posters to email into them?

• Advertisement

I have contacted them directly and raised the issue re hearing other voices on the podcast. Others have to - well based on what they have told me - and nothing has changed. No point banging your head against a brick wall. I actually previously said on here I have raised it. Do you want me to send a weekly email? I had forgotten your position as Damien Donohoe's bodyguard.

I'm not trying to get him to register so we can criticise his work. He's entitled to his opinion. I just don't see why he regularly brings up points discussed on here yet chooses not to register and interact with us. It's not like we're the raving lunatics you see over on HS yet he once took some of their quotes from that board ahead of a Cavan game and printed them as part of a match preview.

Re ''staying anonmymous'', I've given more information about myself than others like yourself on here who have failed to even confirm what club they are from. If you want to practice what you preach and share your own details, feel free to go ahead and do so.

Advertisement