Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

don't think he quite that slow but he certainly isnt the lightest on his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Rector seems like he might have bulked up a bit too much coming out of school maybe?

He's an interesting one, I'm not an expert on outhalf play by any means but it seems like he has the intangibles (awareness of space, decision making, "game management") but his execution of relatively simple skills lets him down at times. On some occasions he struck through the ball beautifully when kicking from hand but he was also sliced a lot of kicks, both from hand and off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought Corkery was a cracking 10. But, I am no guru!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Wouldn't be a bad bit of business for Leinster to make a play for Devine, he really has gone well this year at 9.

He'd also have an easier path into the team at Leinster with JGP away with Ireland regularly. Blade and Marmion likely to be at connacht and theres Colm Reilly behind aswell.

Devine is already under contract with Connacht, there is no play to be made.

They have Fintan Gunne coming through, Foley coming out of the academy and Murphy already in the academy. Not to mention McGrath and McCarthy behind JGP in senior squad.

Leinster need to develop their own not poach Connachts homegrown talent.

• Advertisement

Majority of the connacht squad is leinster home grown talent lmao,

Nick Mcarthy is bang average, JGP is away with ireland for large chunks of the season.

Leinster provide all the other provinces with talent theres no shame in selecting guys to fill gaps.

Different story if hes already under contract with Connacht though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Rey Hot Fork

What a **** attitude. Leinster have the most population, the largest school system and the most money of any province there's no reason they should br poaching connacht players. Particularly given they gave out stick to munster when they did that to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Really? Was never announced as part of the academy. Even if he joined late would he not be on a one year deal and thus theoretically available?

There isnt a gap though.. Gunnes the best 9 to come through leinster in a decade.

It wont happen anyway thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Blade only signed a one year extension this season. If there’s no chance himself or Marmion don’t get into the Irish set up again next year I can see blade heading off to England or France.

Devine and Reilly would get plenty of game time. Devine looks the most rounded 9 Connacht have produced in a while, which is saying something (Marmion, Blade, kerins and reilly) although he would need to bulk up a bit for senior rugby

• Advertisement

Leinster don't owe the other provinces anything, every other province especially connacht are benefiting from Leinsters advantages, without Leinster Connacht wouldn't be able to compete.

Leinster getting a player from the other provinces is few and far between, it's about spreading the talent around isnt it or is that only fun when its other provinces benefiting from it?

Gunne is a good player, but I'd want to see him get through an U20 campaign next year before I start spinning hypebole about him being the best 9 in a decade. Many a highly touted prospect failed to impress at u20 level (Jack Kelly) the most recent in memory.

I'm always impressed by Patterson when I see him play but there must be something going on behind the scenes as to why leinster didnt rate him.

Devine has gone through an u20 campaign and looks very good, plays quite similarly to JGP has a good flow and keeps the momentum of the attack very well, also provides a sniping threat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blade and Gunne are a headline writer's dream. Sniping, bullet passes, putting teams to the sword, looking sharp, something about the Untouchables...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Rey Hot Fork

Ya other provinces have gotten players who haven't been able to make it at leinster. Leinster took connacht best player in henshaw and now your talking about taking the best young prospect the clubs had in a while. Your comparison would be more apt if leinster lost Doris (whos from connacht anyway) and furlong to connacht.

As iv stated previously leinster complained to the irfu when munster went recruiting at leinster schools why would leinster think it's OK now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Good god, if Leinster poached Devine, the most unholy sh*tstorm Irish rugby has ever seen would ensue. It would be like something out of the book of revelation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They'd want Furlong or Kelleher in return. A sort of Devine retribution, if you will.

Uncapped U20 players who got caps for their contribution to the irish u20 grand slam:

Kieran Ryan(LH Prop/Shannon)

Dylan Murphy(Hooker/Garryowen)

Michael Moloney(Scrumhalf/UCD)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Devine is a handy one too. Something about an 'intervention" if he scores a winning try

Devine looks class! He looks mature and older than he is.

After watching the Leinster senior cup matches, I think Gunne is a great prospect. I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone else.

When are the academy intakes announced? Are there any rumors? Daniel Hawkshaw could go west, now that his brother is playing for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Just watched the France game. I found it on you tube. Great win and fantastic effort. Crothers is such a good player and a fantastic captain!

The pack were brilliant! They gave as good as they got. The scum did the get mangled a couple of times. But, some of these French players have played in D2 and have experience.

Jack Boyle is a series prospect. Fantastic game from him. Tector did play well. He runs the side fluidly and is a good tackler. My opinion of him has changed somewhat. Aitzol King is a good prospect also. He's a big lad and very skilled. I thought Hawkshaw was very good also. He didn't play after this match?

This year's backline have great potential. All of them looked quality. I think the backs we produce are getting more skillful over time. I suppose this crop will be dispersed among the academies and some will be pro's soon.

Mullins is an obvious one as is Campbell. Superb players.

How fast Boyle progresses will depend on his physical progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Players with future international careers:

Jack Boyle, Jude Postlethwaite

Future good provincial careers:

Patrick Campbell, James McCormick, James Culhane, Scott Wilson, Rory McGuire, Chay Mullins, Matthew Devine

I reckon that Chay Mullins and Fionn Gibbons could go far! This crop were great! I hope they all achieve their dreams

If there is a tournament in the summer the following players might hope to get a cap:

1. Kieran Ryan(LH Prop/Munster)
    2. Dylan Murphy(Hooker/Munster)
    3. Ben Popplewell(TH Prop/Leinster)
    4. Edwin Edogbo(Lock/Munster)
    5. Charlie Irvine(Lock/Ulster)
    6. Diarmuid Mangan(Backrow/Leinster)
    7. Jack O'Sullivan(Backrow/Munster)
    8. Conor Moloney(Backrow/Munster)
    9. Michael Moloney(Scrumhalf/Leinster)
    10. Sam Prendergast(Outhalf/Leinster)
    11. Shane Mallon(Wing/Leinster)
    12. Daniel Hawkshaw(Centre/Leinster)
    13. Daniel Squires(Centre/Munster)
    14. George Coomber(Wing/Munster)
    15. Dylan O'Grady(Fullback/Leinster)

What tournament? I think the world cup is canceled!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is , but there are efforts on going to have some kind of competition during the summer instead - Nothing confirmed but they are trying to get something going..

• Advertisement

Blackrock won the Leinster senior cup again! That's 70! There's going to be a couple of these lads in around the u20's, I'd guess.

Advertisement