Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You have an answer from another poster banned from the main thread for Putin shilling. And it's an answer which is full of sh*t. Of course Ukriane is a democracy with civilian control of its military. There's a reason the man got banned from the other thread. He makes crap up.

None of this is a 'game' Francie, and it's extremely sad and unedifying watching someone who presumably claims to be a democrat dancing to the tune of an autocrat and his fascistic war. Pointing 'over there' when the continent is in upheaval at the hands of a disgraceful war.

You'd do well to take a long hard look at your stance, because your name on boards will be tarnished forevermore if you don't attempt a volte face at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just ignore history Yurt is it?

You can do as I do, abhor and condemn Putin for what he has done. That doesn't absolve others though.

Like any conflict/war, the true job of a neutral and a democrat is to first look at why it happened and what it's causes were. You cannot seriously be saying that is a bad thing.

You can point the 'Putin Bot' finger all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You're not doing history Francie, don't insult the discipline. You're attempting revisionist dross that's because you have a political crank hobby horse to peddle. Revisionist dross that's so close to the Kremlin line that your claims of abhorrence ring hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

yes

The only action NATO has ever taken without UN approval, is the bombing of Yugoslavia to prevent a genocide in Kosovo.

The only reason the UN could not give its blessing, was because Russia kept on vetoing the resolutions.

But, NATO has never invaded a country and has only ever intervened after security council clearance such as UN security council resolution 1386, that created an international security assistance force, to help the Afghan interim authority with security in the Kabul region.

• Advertisement

None of this needs explaining to me. I am fully aware that NATO never officially invaded countries just the "USA and its allies".

Getting involved in NATO means getting militarily involved with the warmongering Americans. I don't want Ireland anywhere near that shower in an official military capacity.

You'll live happily in a Europe protected by their security umbrella though. If they packed up and left tommorow it wouldn't be long before you'd be calling for their return.

Eaten bread and all that...

I would happily join a European defense pact where if a situation like Ukraine happened to an EU country we would go to war.

I will not support the US who indiscriminately bomb and invade foreign countries.

Massive massive different between protecting from invaders and what the Americans get up to.

Also protected from who exactly. Only one army foreign ever killed innocent civilians in this country and guess what they were in NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How does it feel to be firmly in the Putin-bot Kremlin line of thinking, along with your friends from UKIP?

The notion that the European peace would hold minus the Americans is fanciful.

You may not like it, but the only reason why the European continent wasn't back tearing itself apart for the second half of the 20th century was the US acting as the cornerstone of NATO.

I'll leave you to your hand wringing about US interventions. I know what side Europe has its bread buttered and you'd do well to consider the implications of Europe without an American security presence and concimennt garuntees.

• Advertisement

A very debatable viewpoint.

Like everything, the US has done some good, but not everything it does or not all it's influence is good either.

So we should all just bow down and let them do whatever they want because they have the biggest guns Fk that. Countries that start wars should not be backed.

If I think their "intervention" ( Putinese for invasion) was disgusting and a war crime then why would I sweep that under a carpet.

If China or Russia agreed to keep us safe should I lick their boots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I think the currents shower, Coveney,Varadkar etc are extremely dangerous for Ireland....

"There are no plans for an EU army and if there were, Ireland would not be part of it."

-- Simon Coveney, May 13, 2021.

If you want to make it debatable go crazy.

A European security architecture without the US is a suicide pact for the European peace.

How shy do you think Putin and any other sh*tbag autocrat would be about ripping up the post Berlin Wall settlement in Eastern Europe with France as the only army of note in the democratic bloc and Germany refusing to shed itself of its self righteous pacificsm.

Use your brian Francie. I know you've been weaned on reflexive anti American nonsense your adult life, but the current set of circumstances would be a good stopping point to consider if you've lost the plot or not.

But that doesn't mean we go silent in deference. Those days are over. If the US is to have a role it must act responsibly, and before the flag wavers went all gung ho over Putin's crimes, the FACT is the US and NATO were being criticised. Those criticisms don't just disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

So you would happily join a European defence pact and who are the two main military powers in W. Europe - France and UK.

I think both France and UK also get up to what the Americans get up to.

That one army that killed innocent Irish civilians is also the mainstay of any European defence force as there are only 2 real military competent powers in Western Europe

Quite how you've landed on the US or NATO being evil doers in the European theatre is a mystery.

You're high on your own supply.

As I said to Francie, you'll go to bed tonight in a democratic Europe with more rights and freedoms than any European generation before it, and it'll all be ultimately protected by those bad bad men in the Pentagon.

I'm not expecting you to admit it for the purposes of this thread as it's a loss of face, but it's the truest thing you'll read on the internet today.

And when the sun rises tomorrow you'll be free to spout whatever nonsense you feel like without fear under that very same security umbrella.

Whoopdeedoo. You were always free to criticize the US or NATO and you'll be free to to do so tomorrow. Unlike a certain country due East which you're providing cover for, you won't be pulled out of bed or dissapeared for doing so.

Still the taunting.

If you can find a single pro Putin word I have typed on here, go ahead. It is just a handy deflection for you guys at this stage.

The reason Moscow Mick, George Galloway and fellow travelers get labelled as useful idiots isn't because they offer mealy mouthed condemnations of Putin followed by a giant BUT (sound familiar?), it's because they exist in the grand tradition of certain elements on the Western European left of refusing to show their hand and say what they really mean.

You've spent a few pages on this thread abusing the word history. Here's a little history for you: throughout all the darkest days of the cold war and into the Russian Federation era, Moscow has spent an inordinate amount of time at arms-length cultivating voices on the fringe European left convincing them that NATO is the problem, that they'd turn swords into ploughshares if only NATO would stop being such meanies and they'd be nice boys and girls.

This cultivation has being going on for decades and often political movements in Western Europe don't actually cop they're reading from script.

This is also an unfortunate and hard fact about the political movement you belong to. Throughout the decades, members of Irish republican movements have been found at Kremlin sponsored propaganda conferences in Moscow and even up until a very very recent about face, have been peddling boilerplate anti-NATO nonsense in the European parliament.

They do this because they walk that silly little tightrope between the wink and nod to bad political actors such as the Kremlin, and their supposed independent point of view.

It's in crises like this that it all falls apart, and the years of parroting grumbles about NATO in Western fora pretending it's not paraphrased sh*te from the Russian institutional state becomes unsustainable.

It's not the weasel condemnation that gives you away, it's the inevitable BUT.

NATO is not a luxury for the European peace that can be pulled down and replaced with an erzatz replacement that has no balls. Which is what is being called for by the political fringes.

Putin and his circle of thugs running the show laugh their head off at people like you, Europeans calling to cut their own throat. Wringing their hands and tut tutting about Kosovo (best thing NATO ever did btw) while fastidiously calling for the destruction of a treaty alliance that has vexxed shitbag fascists for three quarters of a century now.

And lastly, the thing that really acts as the cherry on top and the chef's kiss is that in the face of one of the most dangerous wars and acts of aggression against a sovereign state in Europe since a certain Austrian snuffed it, you spend your days mouthing off about the treaty alliance protecting Europe from untold bloodshed.

• Advertisement

And we are back to the question you have been running away from for the last few pages - if NATO had balls why then isn't Ukraine in it?

You cannot answer that honestly, yet you complain of non honest others in the debate.

Francie you've been schooled and paddled up and down main Street here.

I'm not even sure what the point of your question is. And I know a bad faith question were an under-read contributer wants to drag things into the pig pen when I see one.

You've done enough apologism of Russian aggression for today, and you seemed satisfied with Teowhatshisface a-factual answer to your silly question, so why don't you run with that? The first rule of debate is to ignore stupid questions, and this isn't the Oxford Union so why don't you take it to Ask Jeeves if you're so curious?

For a man that protests he's not giving shelter and succor to Putin, you spend an awful lot of time reading to Kremlinite script.

Yous "schooling" hasnt included any actual facts though,and is heavily based on personal prejudice/dislike of fringe politicans

NATO rightly has some qs to answer on this,they dangled a carrot in front of ukraine and as soon as help needed kinda left em to it....theres a lesson in there for anyone who wants it

The answer lies in Berlin. And it was a massive miscalculation on other NATO country members part to be browbeaten by a country compromised with a naiive Ostpolitik agenda and Russian money.

You can dance a little jig about that if you want, but it's a tragedy for Ukraine and Europe generally, and if we follow the deutschmarks, the real source of the problem comes from Moscow.

I think we're at a point where we need to call things by their name.

Dislike of fringe politicians who shill for Putinist agendas? Damn right son.

You'll get all the facts you want out of me if you're coming at this conversation with good faith. This may surprise you, but I'm not one of these people that only found Ukrainr and Russia on a map 4 weeks ago.

'You are pro Putin' is not the answer, it school yard level hysterical theatrics tbh.

You sound like someone from the 50's full up with gung ho nuke em aggression. Have at it.

You are pro-Putin. The man has sand in his vagina about NATO for decades and it's one of his main foreign policy preoccupations along with near-abroad countries joining the EU.

If you're providing shelter for him and this insane war and hammering on at length at the only institution holding the man man back from further destruction of Eastern Europe you are by definition pro-Putin.

You should just own it and be done with it. But you can't do so because the loss of face would be immense - and as Mark Twain said: "It's far easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled." That's where you're at Francie, and I don't envy you.

Don't even bother with the last jibe you threw my way btw. I'm not the one providing a back handed defence for the most dangerous act of war since the 1940s in Europe. I actually value the European peace and condemn fully and without BUTs those who try to tear it down for sad-act political fetishism.

I said the only foreign army to ever kill anyone in Ireland were NATO members.

Are the British army not in NATO ?

And no I do not believe that an EU detached from the US in an official capacity would suddenly be in major danger.

Apart from this having nothing to do with anything, it also happens to be wrong.

Take an old stroll in North Strand in Dublin with your eyes open some day and report back what you find.

Why what will I find ?

Genuinely curious as a won't be anywhere near North Strand any time soon.

• Advertisement

You'd be an utter fool to think the European security architecture minus the US wouldn't be significantly weakened.

The only point of the US retreating across the Atlantic would to be to appease Putin and anti-democrats.

The US leaving Europe has never looked less likely, and I'll give three cheers to that because I actually like the democratic and peaceful post WW2 settlement.

Advertisement