Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

A well Mr O’ Neill has spoken! Dirtbag! Don’t believe a word the tool says anymore you see!

I am surprised that after 2 years some people still don't understand that a lot of people simply don't want to wear masks.

Most people aren't afraid to get Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

These people live on a different planet. Worrying about a crowded Dart when normal people have moved on and are going to restaurants, gigs, matches, cinemas. Some haven't left their echo chamber and don't realise life is going on around them.

The grift continues.

It’s great for the likes of Luke. They never need to sit on the fence; they can just flip flop between whatever opinion gets them the most airtime. Then airtime gets his two books sold. €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

We are all going to get Covid - even if you have had Covid, you will get it again at some stage over the next 2 years.

The more people who get Covid now, the more immunity will be built up, and the better we will be able to cope with it in the future. We will still be liable to get Covid, however in general, we will be able to deal with it.

We need to move on. There are many things in life which will kill us eventually. Covid is another thing in the mix out there.

In 2019, there were 4 x Corona viruses circulating some of which have been around for 100+ years. In 2022, there are now 5 x corona viruses circulating. Time to move on.

This wave will pass too.....I suspect by mid April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

And at Christmas 2021 we had masks galore, restrictions on mingling and about 500000 cases in a week.

Sporadic mask wearing really is trying to keep the tide out of your sandcastle with a bucket and spade type of stuff.

It serves no other purpose than being seen to be doing something.

It's like Michael Martin doing his 10 days in isolation, has to be seen to be doing something but might as well be out and about like everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I see that the Journal.ie has a poll today wondering "should mandatory masks rules be reintroduced in certain spaces". Current polling has 69% yes, 27% no and the best 4% not sure (they are the half mast folk you still see going around!!)

So coming into the summer, with brighter better days. With covid burning through the last of the folks who haven't got it yet, people want to "feel safe" by forcing others to poorly wear a near useless piece of cloth in certain circumstances?? Like what is going on with people? Do they want masks forever? Do they want Gardaí policing buses and trains forever?

It's a fact at this stage that everyone is going to get Covid at least once. Please understand this folks. You are not staying away from it - masks or no masks. You can run, but you can't hide with this one I'm afraid. It is far too transmissible to avoid.

So the poll in the journal says that people aren't wearing masks but 70% want them mandatory lol!

That's a bit contradictory. Those 70% can wear one if they want...

So maybe the original virus didn't need any restrictions at all given how uncontagious it was?

I mean we had the highly contagious alpha, the super contagious delta followed by 70% more contagious omicron and now 30% more contagious BA2.

Sounds like we were locked down for months for no reason.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio Ones Today with Claire Byrne, he said: “[We are] in a global wave, it’s just happening again in a sense and it’s because of this BA2 variant, the new variant around, the sister of Omicron, and this is much more infectious than Omicron and it’s spreading more and more widely.

"It could be the most infectious virus we have seen amazingly, chickenpox and measles is very infectious, we know these spread like wild fire but this BA2 there's nothing like it, it is 30pc more infectious than Omicron which is already 70pc more infectious than the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes exactly. However, as we have seen time and time again, the Irish public just love being TOLD what to do. And then go along like good little boys and girls and question nothing. A populace that loves to be seeing to do the right thing, even if it makes no sense! Like the toilet going mask wearers in the restaurant I was in on Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Journal polls are worthless. Half of the votes come from 20 bot accounts and most of the rest come from piss-takers.

China's official case number has increased tenfold in 3 weeks despite locking down entire cities into a far more restrictive regime than we ever had.

Anyone who thinks facemasks can make a blind bit of difference against Omicron is completely clueless.

I support anyone who feels like they want to wear a mask for comfort reasons, I don't judge. But you may as well be wearing fishnet tights on your head.

Masks, the way they have been deployed in this country, have always been pretty much a waste of time.

The only thing that works is reducing your contacts, yet there is nobody calling for that at the moment.

Because reducing contacts isnt something that can be physically seen, so it's of no interest to these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Be this time next week i reckon there will be panic and actual serious talk from government of bringing back masks,

I hope im wrong ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Hi guys,

Anyone have an idea of pcr test turnaround times at the moment?

There was 1308 in hospital with Covid yesterday. 203 new cases in the last 24 hrs. 101 discharges. So 102 new cases right?

Wrong. There is 30 new cases. 1338.

Massive outbreaks happening in the hospitals. ICU not increasing at all. We're going to have to get comfortable with the fact that hospitals are going to have a good number of Covid positive patients over the next few months or even years.

The amount of outbreaks is scandalous at this stage! That 1338 is not a real number! Icu should be the only number reported now end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Luke O’Neill on that one Byrne’s interview:

“”The new BA2 variant of Covid-19 is much more

infectious and is spreading more and more widely,

according to Professor Luke O'Neill.

The Professor of Biochemistry at Trinity College

Dublin added that this variant is a

"a sister of

Omicron"

" and that it "could be the most infectious

virus we've seen"

Prof O'Neill added that it is almost impossible now

to avoid getting this variant.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, Prof

O'Neill explained that the spike has changed in the

virus and it sticks to your lungs much more readily

and hence spreads much more quickly.

"It's 30% more infectious than Omicron, which is

already 70% more infectious than the previous

one," he said.

"Secondly, the incubation time is shorter in

someone who's infected, so [it] grows more

quickly in someone's body, and that means it'll

spread more because it grows more rapidly.

"The great news is that the wall of vaccinations is

holding up massively all over the world and really is

protecting us.

He urged people to get their third Covid

vaccination, and, for those that are vulnerable, to

get a fourth jab against the coronavirus.

Prof O'Neill is also in favour of people continuing to

wear masks in indoor areas.””

Well at least he admits that it’s going to be impossible to avoid this variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That's always been the case. Introduce measures when cases are at or reaching a peak and then when cases fall they are credited as why, when it would have happened anyway.

61 in icu was 49 yesterday with 11 admissions.. so 1 person caught it in icu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Allinall

Shut the pubs.

This happened a month or so ago! Big jump in icu for a few days then it dropped again! I’d think some of those 11 are in icu for something else but tested positive before being admitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Now it’s the WHO’s turn to put the boot in.

Hans Kluge: “”Several European countries, including Ireland, lifted their Covid curbs too "brutally" and are now seeing a rise in cases likely due to the more transmissible BA2 variant, the World Health Organization has said.””

however Kluge goes on to say “he was "optimistic but vigilant" about the pandemic's development in Europe.”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The contrary fker in me reads stuff like that and wonders could we put together an equation of infectiousness.

Makes me want to ask questions like, so how many percentages more infectious are we now above the very first variant?And what percentage does it matter, since the first variant appeared to make people far sicker?And can we remove any percentages for having being vaccinated??

I have no doubt the man has a valid point but as someone else said, it's here, it's not going away, you can run but you can't hide from it (and frankly it has been exhausting being forced to try and hide from it), and why it took the human race at large almost 2 years to cop on to this fact is the biggest mystery of all.

We are not the brightest bunch.We honestly thought we could stop nature in its tracks, and somehow make ourselves immune to this thing or lockdown it into non-existence.We're our own biggest enemy really.

Shutting half the testing centres would get cases down quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Allinall

There would still be the same number of cases.

Hans is a muppet.

We had about 500000 cases a week over Christmas, we lifted restrictions and cases fell off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭Xander10

Shut the churches instead. Indoor gatherings of the old and vulnerable.

Yes I know but its confirmed cases the media need to drive the frenzy.

Get rid of logging those snake oil antigen tests too.

• Advertisement

They’ll keep banging this drum until it happens!

push push push!!!

Advertisement