Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Except the Polish bravado risks broadening the conflict. It's a time for further tweaking of sanctions and waiting. I see no cynicism in any country taking time to figure out how to replace 40% of its energy supplies. They are working on a plan, just one that is far more long-term than their hyper impatient neighbours.

It's difficult to fault the countries that are dependent on Russian gas and oil, for not wanting to immediately disconnect from that.

Their economies will suffer but more importantly, especially in the case of Germany, as gas is primarily used for heating, it would not be possible to disconnect without an alternative as people would die during the cold winters.

Having said all that, these countries are actively out scouring the market for alternative sources to allow them to disconnect asap.

I've no doubt they'll modify their stance once they get those alternatives in place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Russians kill opponents usually in other countries. More difficult to blame them. He is much safer in prison or in gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I kind of would like to see Danzy (and similars) mug in an alternative world where M. Martin gets up at the lectern and tells Irish public we are dialling down the gas flows and oil imports by approx 50 % as of next week to do our part for war effort against Putin/Russia in Ukraine...

Will be hello to 3 day weeks, brownouts + no central heating. Will they stoically bear it? Past eruptions of anger over likes of fuel shortages and price rises suggests not. He + many pals would probably don their little yellow vesteens and be straight up to the Dáil (if they can buy fuel for their convoy) shaking fists at the gate in rage and calling for Micheál's scalp + the govt. to be brought down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

My Russian friends parents ( not all, but some definitely) would have been born during the communist times, so that would explain their attitudes, but as has been mentioned here several times, the younger generation are not fooled so easy, and they are not impressed by what the state controlled media is telling them. I remember being in restaurant's and bars, when the news would come on, and people would watch it, and then dismiss it with a flick of their hands. Even in the communist times, people knew it was buls*t, or as the workers used to say " They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work...." The problem we have here in the west is the sheer amount of information freely available. Democracy means that everyone can have a viewpoint, for better or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

how many American politicians were detained in Guantanamo. Your not Lukashenko by any chance he jumped at the same angle in a CNN interview recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Mariupol still holding out. It will just be ruins by the time the Russians have stopped shelling, but it's not theirs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The gas side is the difficult one and can't be switched off straight away. Oil however could effectively be turned off with immediate effect.

Alternatives are available, it will cost more but it would have a far more dramatic effect on the Russian economy than the rest of the world.

If Iran are allowed to sell to the west again then their might not be cost issues. This is why the yanks are pushing to resolve things with them.

Good idea, stop importing oil from the terrible Russian regime and start importing from the wonderful Iranian regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

No need for that language projecting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Unfortunately they rushed head long in to changing over 40% of their electric power production without any concrete plan to replace it bar Merkel's reward after Crimea of approving Nord stream 2. I don't like coal or nuclear power but a replacement strategy outside of Uncle Vlad should have been considered.

Germany withholding aid, starting to roll back on defense spending, fighting sanctions again.

It's utterly transparent and cynical. They hope for a quick end and return to normality but that's rough on The Ukraine and all of us. They remain needing Russia goodwill and vulnerable to blackmail this winter.

It's the harvest they have sown, now they have to live with the consequences, as do we all unfortunately. Hiding from it makes it worse in the long run and only encourages Putin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think this will pretty much make up any possible peace agreement. Like the street name thing, there could be a few other relatively minor things like recognition of Russian as an official language (which, given it's common usage in certain areas, is not necessarily an unreasonable thing). I think it's possible Ukraine's EU membership aspirations will be conceded by Russia, which will be a win for Ukraine and the thing that gives at least some guarantee for Ukraine's sovereign future. Russia's ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina even recently hinted that "I think, the way out of this should be the European system, not NATO" (he was talking specifically about B&H's NATO aspirations, but in the context of Ukraine).

I think the possession of the Crimean land corridor will depend on how Russia can depopulate it. Obviously their strategy in Mariupol is to make the place uninhabitable. It's much easier to lay claim to a place with no-one it. I think Russia will attempt to keep pummeling the area to get as many Ukrainians out as possible, so that if they do get it in the negotiations, it's easier to manage in the future. And if they don't, then it's years and a huge cost to the West before it's usable again. Of course it's basically ethnic cleansing, but it's a tactic Russia are unfortunately very comfortable with. Easy for me to say from the safety of my home office, but the more Ukrainians that stay there, the less chance Russia has of stealing, and then legitimising the theft of, that land. The big question is, how far are Russia willing to go in destroying the place and the people to achieve this aim? And what's the point at which the west say that they've gone too far to negotiate back from at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Looks like that claim of hitting a Russian patrol boat earlier was true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I can't recommend this piece more. For anyone trying to understand Putin the man, Julia Loffes interview here is excellent. Filmed 4 years ago, it's quite shocking to hear its relevance today. Take a couple of hours out tonight and watch the video.

https://youtu.be/b1HWNcLDK88

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The Americans are working on Venezuela too(highest oil reserves in the world!)

This is the problem, they don't have the resources to police the entire world, so they have to prioritise. If Russia wants to be public enemy number one, then they need to let Iran and Venezuela off the hook. The resources are out there though, its just hard and takes huge investment in risky states to switch suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Wasn't the old joke that "there is no truth in Pravda (truth) and no news in Izvestia (news)"?

You could safely apply that to today's Kremlin-controlled media. Strange how history repeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Dont you read the thread .... Was posted already, not to long ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So it's all Merkel's fault? That's hardly a basis for any kind of a solution and very Captain Hindsight. Scholtz has reversed a de facto policy of well over 50 years in a few weeks but clearly that's not enough for some people. They are working their way towards unwinding that dependency. It's hardly an excuse for other countries far less affected by cutting ties, to lecture them on what to do. Who says they are cutting aid and how did the Germans suddenly become the bad guys in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,660 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

"Russian military have food supplies, ammunition and fuels sufficient to meet their needs only for the next three days" Both the Ukrainian army and the American Think Tank Institute For The Study of War claim that the Russian army has serious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

Germany's decision to decommission their nuclear reactors was a bigger knee-jerk reaction than anything any of their neighbours have done in recent years.

To summarise the propaganda:

Option 1:

”They made me do it!” / “They provoked me” (classic line used by all sorts of abusers)

Option 2:

Whataboutery (yup, there’s a lot wrong in the world, but that doesn’t make this any less wrong.)

Option 3:

But, but .. both sides… (while only one side is quite flattening cities with bombs and killing thousands of civilians).

It’s just rather unfortunate to see sometimes well meaning people repeating this bile.

Have sanctions ever actually worked anywhere?

I do think price of food could be absolutely nuts come next november/december,noone will be worrying fuel prices then and few chickens are going to come home to roost as regards CAP/mercursor....

Theres a short enough window left for crop planting in ukraine,people in world are going to go hungry and richer countries (china eu etc) will buy up food on poorer countries without the ukraine harvests/general farm output prices are going to spiral out of control

and you'll have people coming to europe fleeing famine in numbers that will dewarf ukraine refugees numbers....this will cause political instability across europe on scale putin could only dream on

You should have a read of the link below as you are way off the mark if you think it was a "knee-jerk reaction"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's Merkel and schroder's fault all right and the German greens - bought and paid for by Gazprom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement