Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery from external hard risk

Options
  • 16-03-2022 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have accidentally formatted my external hard disk while trying to use it as a start up disk for my laptop. I have used Recuva Pro ( free version) and could recover only 10% of the files. Can you please recommend another data recovery tool or any shop who can help to recover the remaining files

Comments

I found mini tool data recovery very good. Copy the 10 per cent recovered somewhere else first.

You are running the recovery software from the internal disk?

https://www.webopedia.com/insights/completely-erase-harddrive/ says format only deletes address tables .i don't know if that is right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Free testdisk ,photorec, easus have a data recovery app , its free to recover 2 gig approx.

i formmated my sdcard 60gig, i was able to recover about 95 per cent of files. did you do a deep scan with recuva.?

even doing an easus scan is useful, as it,ll tell you what files can be recovered.

yes formatting does not erase the files, it just deletes adress labels, all the files should till be there on the drive, its just you need to recover them .

they,ll be there unless you overwrite them in the future by saving files on the hard drive,

on my pc it takes 4-5 hours to scan 60 gig drive

to recover say 90 cent of files you,ll probably have to use 3 or 4 recvovery programs, recover mp4s, or the most important files first,keep a list of files or save images of the file scan list to your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shouroy

Thanks I have tried the deep scan with recuva but did not recover most of the files. Is there any data recovery tool that I can install easily in Mac and deep scan my external hard drive?

I presume there's mac version of testdisk try easus. Com data file recovery first 2gig data is free see it if works there's a mac version of easus data recovery wizard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk - yes there's a mac version. will help if partition deleted , won't undo re-formatting

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec it doesn't care about folders or filenames

you can use this to scrape raw files off the drive and copy them somewhere else , you will then have to rename them

See if easus data wizard works by doing a full scan, if it sees the files you need to recover you may wish to buy the full version. maybe try testdisk first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shouroy

Well easus data wizard only works on the macOS 11.0, macOS 10.15, macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.12, Mac OS X 10.11 ~ 10.10. My macbook uses macOS 12.3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd image it first of all onto another external drive if you have it. And then make sure that you aren't saving any recovered files back to the same drive! Mount it RO maybe just in case.

PhotoRec is good. It can take a while to run though if you do a deep scan from what I remember. Testdisk is only to rebuild the partition table. Handy if you mess up something there. I haven't used it in probably near enough 15 years but it was fairly good at figuring out the likely partitions when I did use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement