Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ryso

Contacted our dealer today, they said the car left on a different boat not the parana at the weekend, weser highway is due in Dublin Thursday 🤞

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Met plenty of id4 on my travels today. Special, and I mean special, mention the the ID4 drafting about 6 feet behind a truck on the motorway, and then deciding I was a nicer option (going faster) and drafting behind me for a short while. Idiot!

236km driven, 129km remaining. Pretty happy with that.

My brain immediately freaked at you getting 22kW AC, only to realise you're DC charging the bejesus out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dave Barry

That's strange.

I worked in Volkswagen Group Ireland for years and never heard of Weser Highway being used as a boat that docks here. It also looks like it's on it's way to Zeebrugge after leaving the UK so would be very tight to be docking in Dublin/Cork by Thursday. I have heard that there's another boat docking in Dublin on 31st March but I don't know what boat.

I'll be keeping an eye on Marine Traffic - that's for sure 😅

Scratch that - it's just been updated to show Dublin as an ETA for Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

and that’s another boat that left my car on the port. Might be time to join a support group. If I wasn’t Supping a beer by the pool in Abu Dhabi I’d be mad..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

More info on new features

https://youtu.be/oWRpW3iQB2I

https://youtu.be/zKx57f1pKFo

The park assist plus should be good for a laugh, there's several car parks near me with no lines and some nobody parks there properly anyway, so hopefully we'll see some epic fails

There seems to be some debate over whether the ID.4 1st can support it. Newer cars have extra sensors that the ID.3 1st doesn't, not sure about the ID.4

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I’m reading about the new features , whether they’ll be available for the older cars or not , and was wondering how many people actually use the features already in the car?

I don’t have travel assist , but use ACC all the time on the motorway. My wife on the other hand has never used ACC or ever used cruise control on any car she’s driven.

I know boards has lots of enthusiasts who need to know all the details (myself included) , but I can’t see this as being a big deal for the average driver.

I can see the 12v battery recall and control unit update as being a bigger issue for VW. Most ID drivers I met hadn’t a clue about the 2.3 update (didn’t read the email), know very little about the app, and just drive the car.

The way VW communicates is poor , can it get much worse? I waiting to see what they are planning to do with all the old batteries.

German forums saying 2.4 starts middle/end of April

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

Hey all,

We managed to get a cancellation of a car, but collected / bought it only last month, so I presume its 'build date' is some months ago. The car does not give me side camera views when parking, even though I think I can see camera's in the wing mirrors. It doesn't have the Assisted parking feature, or the blind spot warnings - so I presume what will be coming to me in 3.0 will not be very much? Any ideas?

The car is a 2022 (but likely built in 2021?) Pro Business.

Thank you!

• Advertisement

Seems like all/most the changes are to travel assist enabled cars. Not us poor 1st models.

In other news, someone gave me a pretty hearty door ding. Passenger side rear door, right at the seam between the front and back door, so a pretty strong point in the door, but they gave it a nice enough bang to dent it. Guessing it was centre parks, and most likely between parking after packing to leave, and actually leaving (3-4 hours). Surprised I didn't see it when washing the car on Tuesday, but i've only been to Woodies since and no one parked near me. Not worth fixing, but annoying as I do keep a clean car and this kinda spoils it.

I use the travel assist a lot, the auto lane change would be a pretty nice upgrade although it's not exactly burdensome to do it manually

The swarm data could make a big difference for using the travel assist off of motorways, or even smoothing out some of the big speed changes. For example going from the M50 to M11 there's often a buildup of traffic that causes the Travel Assist to slow down quite suddenly. If it knew there was traffic ahead it would slow down in advance

The parking assistant would be nice, although I suspect a lot of more difficult spaces will confuse it. I think the recording your parking maneuver thing is a bit of a gimmick. You have to stop before your house and start the maneuver which is a waste of time.

Also outside my house there's a perpetual football game going and the kids don't really believe in avoiding cars. The parking assistant would probably have a complete breakdown stopping every 2 seconds

I’d imagine what you’re seeing in the mirrors is the welcome light that projects on the ground. Business specs don’t have 360 degree cameras. The teller would be if the front Volkswagen badge has a camera in it but as I said, Business specs don’t have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can see what year it was built by the VIN. If the 10th alphanumeric character is M it’s 2021, if it’s N it’s 2022

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for this!

Thank you! The VIN character you mention is N, so I guess it was only built! Thanks for explaining that.

Travel assist is great but I wish they'd somehow manage to program it so that when in lane 2 or 3 on a motorway it would keep more to the right than the middle which can get it too close to Lorries.

The auto lane change is another gimmick only because the E.U insist that your hands have to be on the wheel.

It's really bad that VW didn't put these extra sensors in existing cars if they knew that they would have this swarm feature, the ability to learn is good too but there are a good few cars already with travel assist that could be sending this data back to VW,

It would be good that the cars with swarm that learn and send data back, for instance if a driver takes over at a particular place due to changes in lines in the road etc can be applied to existing cars with travel assist.

Crazy to think our cars are already outdated..........

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Apparently you'll be able to set where you want to sit in the lane in the new travel assist, so you can keep slightly to the right or left

I suppose the auto lane change might be handy for people who aren't great at changing lanes to begin with. I like how it has to do the lane change in under 5 seconds, that won't fit in with the standard Irish driver's habit of trying to sneakily change lanes without indicating 😂

So far it's only the ID.3 1st editions that are confirmed to not have the extra sensors, so there might be hope for us yet

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

The newer cars seem to have the extra parking sensor near the wheel that might be the sensor needed to the park assist plus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Anyone here have vw charger installed. Got mine over weekend and when I export charging data. It says KW hours is N/A and to contact customer support. Are others seeing the same, would have been handy to know? Maybe I should have gone with zappi 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement

Oh really? I had a quick look and didnt see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you referring to the "Consumption" column in the export, which you get to via "Charging at home"-->"Export"?

Which version of the charge point did you get? My guess is you got the "ID. Charger Connect" model?

To see kWh values you need the "ID. Charger Pro" as it has the "MID certified energy meter" in it.

Did you car land in on this by any chance? From a few people I spoke to with connections in Volkswagen Ireland, they hadn't heard of this boat carrying cars for Ireland.

Yep, they said it’s landed, they told us today they dispatched it so it should be with them at the main dealer this week, not sure what boat it was on, just delighted it’s in the country

Noticed it for a while now, but confirmed it at the weekend. While using cruise control and the car is braking (using regen - green bar filling up), if you then manually use the brakes you stop using regen and use the actual brake pads.

Following a car off a motorway slip road is where you'll notice it most. Car brakes because they're slowing down, but you want to brake more because you see the junction ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I got a big ding in a bright blue new car recently (v windy day in a retail park carpark, big dent and lots of red paint transfer), and while it looked bad, right in the middle of the door, it was returned good as new for €180 by a paintless dent removal crowd in north Dublin. I genuinely couldn’t even see where the dent was.

Cool. I might see what our local panel beater says. Not sure if the "smudge" is their paint our my cars paint. It's dented but also wrinkly paint where the impact was. I'll get a pic up later. I'd be happy enough with ~€180 to keep the car 99.9% (wife banged the passenger side door against a stone wall so it's slightly chipped).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Range coming right back up last few days! Had 218km for 45% on the dash this morning = ~480km for 100%.

Thursday marks one year since I got my 1st edition, coming up on 21000km. Some good, some negatives!

Bad (and these really seem to get over focussed upon):

Software isn't great.

Touchscreens are downright dangerous (but that's not just a VW issue).

Winter range takes a bigger hit vis a vis summer compared to the Leaf. 'Apparently' going to be sorted with a software update.

Doors don't open sometimes because they've tried to be clever with fancy pants electronic locks which are too slow.

Moderate acceleration.

Good:

Smooth as hell to drive.

Great summer range (I touch the 500km).

Loads of space.

Excellent road anticipation / regen setup. For those that don't know the car uses radar for traffic and (presumably) GPS to 'know' the road situation its in and uses regen to slow down for obstacles, bends etc as needed. This actually works really well (and I'm usually the last person to praise intrusive modern safety systems).

Surprisingly good value (1st editions anyway). Not sure why anyone would pay more for an Enyaq unless they prefer the looks.

For the EV newcomer, it's an easy step into electric driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

This parking sensor the new cars have but the older both pro and first dont have.

• Advertisement

I think today is actually 1 year since I got my ID4. Must check the odometer, but I'd say it's only about 15000km.

I do wonder does winter range vs summer range feel much worse than a leaf or ioniq because a 20% drop of 500km is 100km, vs a 20% drop of 200km being just 40km lost.

Careful of your doors not opening. Our passenger door started that way, then went a bit wild and would open while driving. Got the door latch replaced in the end. Get it while the warranty exists.

Advertisement