Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, what percentage ( I believe it will be high ) will apply for leave to remain ? If Russia, stands down, withdraws…. It could easily flare up again.

while here the Ukraine visitors will get used life here, feel safe here, will become accustomed to our social welfare system, free healthcare, comfortable standards of living, amenities, far from the threat of Russia why wish to return ? Some will but I’ve a feeling a big enough percentage will seek leave to remain.

It sounds like they will be on a stamp 4 type of permission which is reckonable for citizenship so its very possible that some may stay and become full citizens.

Even if some don't, its unlikely that Ireland is going to turf them out if the war is still raging or Ukraine is still in ruins.

So yeah, some will live here for the rest of their lives and personally I don't have an issue with that, the more the merrier

The more the merrier for them, certainly. :)

the more also, the greater challenge to the wellbeing of us Irish people,, which has being eroded over time already… and will continue to be as politicians make these decisions to compromise our wellbeing.

How dare they provide safe harbour for war zone refugees

Those bastages!

a 5% population increase over a few weeks and months for a country this size and all will be exclusively depending on this state, for everything…. So a fair number will stay and will be of that ability as has been acknowledged.

you choose to dress it up in disingenuous terms, I’ll stick to what’s happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pretty much our government and anyone who thinks taking 200k people in is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But you weren't talking about war zone refugees when you said some will stay for the "some will live here for the rest of their lives.......the more the merrier".

Well yeah, if they are on a stamp 4, which is what it sounds like, then their stay is counted as reckonable which means they will qualify for citizenship so strictly speaking after that point they are no longer refugees, semantics I suppose.

Either way I'm delighted to see how many are being granted the chance to come to Ireland.

Semantics, eh? Course it was. Why would you want Ireland flooded with non-nationals? I understand giving refuge until the war is over. I don't understand your rationale, unless, of course, it's to wind people up.

was talking to my cousin of FB, she’s on disability as she recovers from a LTI and cannot work… she is returning to health and will be back healthy later in the year, after a difficult three years… but today in tears as she gets a letter from the social welfare to attend an interview with some **** to prove she is entitled to claim. Some rancid knacker of an individual up in mellows road with all the manners of a castrated hedgehog in her correspondence…which she showed me. A seriously unreal lack of courtesy and professionalism…

asked to bring everything from bank statements and so on to prove she’s not sitting on xxxxxxxx grand, she’s sitting on a couch a lot as she isn’t good on her feet, in pain and uses crutches…

so in one breadth we are facilitating tens of thousands of people from the Ukraine with tens of thousands in assistance per person but my cousin who has worked full time since she left college and never asked anything of the state most of her adult life has to go and be victim of a cross examination, just to receive what she is entitled to… worried sick now because they are coming they are after her due to the ‘new arrivals’… and the state being under pressure…on the balance sheet…she’s right…

she’s done fantastic in her rehab, has paid for a private physio instead of a state one… living in private accommodation….so what she is costing the state is negligible yet her ‘entitlement’ important and needed…

but, now just as we are inviting tens of thousands and the bill for that…. She’s called in for an ‘interview’ to justify her ability to get help.

this .. another product of multiculturalism, more pressure, more bullying of citizens, taxpayers, this is just the beginning.

• Advertisement

My rationale has been explained multiple times in this thread.

If a different opinion winds you up.......

I must have missed it in amongst all the nonsense and this stupid new boards doesn't allow you just click on a profile and see their previous posts. I guess it will be lost to posterity. It doesn't wind me up, I just don't understand it.

If I go to England, I like to meet English people and chat with them. If I go to Spain, I like to meet Spanish people and chat with them. Same in any country I go to. Ireland is the same, according to a lot of Failte Ireland tat, come meet the locals. You seem to want a hodge podge of homogeneity with no defining culture or "locals".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was an article last week saying it'll cost an average of 33k a head to accommodate each refugee in a hotel for a year. Welfare, children's allowance , medical cards, extra teachers etc etc on top of that. The children's hospital will be peanuts in comparison.

The government don't intend to pay a subsidy to house owners for hosting which is very unfair if the alternative is 33k a year in a hotel. The Brits are giving 350£ a month to owners.

DaCor believes that Ireland (or any western nation) should accept/encourage an unlimited number of foreign born migrants. It's come up on this and other threads. Basically, he's previously covered the pov that it would be great if Irish people were a minority in their own nation as long as it's an ethnically/culturally diverse society.

He is the poster child for multiculturalism. Good luck getting any logical thinking, or realistic/practical consideration of the problems involved though. Everything is perfect in "la la" land.

The intention is the visa these folks will be given will allow them to live and work freely without restrictions so a lot should be able to get into some kind of employment reasonably quickly. This should ensure the pressure on the exchequer is alleviated to some extent.

I know there are plans underway for some employers to be matched with some Ukrainians where a skills match is identified. This is in early stages so there should hopefully be more on this in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You have to understand that as your cousin is Irish she has to work with the Irish social welfare system so is liable to be interrogated intensely when claiming anything, thats the guidance given to social welfare inspectors. Asylum seekers and refugees are in a different system so don't have to go through the same hoops as some elderly person person who sees their carer hours cut due to lack of funding while millions are spent on funding for new arrivals. Same as O Gorman can promise own door accommodation withing three months for newcomers while native Irish can spend 10 years on housing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I know you can't answer this, but I'm slightly concerned about how this will play out.

Most / almost all the Ukrainian refugees are women with young children or older people of pensionable age. Given these demographics, I'm struggling to see how they will fill skills shortages in the Irish economy, which are primarily in construction and food processing, plus tech and health care. It's fair to say that few young mothers will be lining up to work on building sites or in an abattoir. In fact, I read a report from Poland that quite a few construction projects have halted there because such a large number of Ukrainian men returned home to fight.

Tech and health care require specialized skills that only a relatively small % of any population possesses. That's before we even contemplate the language barrier...

My overriding sense here is that the government is in panic mode and hasn't a clue what they are doing. I happened to catch the Roderick O'Gorman interview on Newstalk whilst driving home yesterday evening. To say that he does not inspire confidence, is a gross understatement.

Personally, I'm very concerned about how this is evolving. The projected numbers have grown exponentially from 10k to 20K to 80K to 100K and now to 200K. As somebody with young children, I'm also worried about the impact this will have on access to educational and medical services going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

I take it that in conjunction with 200k Ukrainians the government is continuing with the amnesty for the 8k in direct provision, amnesty for illegals here estimated at 17k by government n will also be paying a billion in foreign aid this year. Sure it'd be racist not too I suppose!

You are quite right to be concerned, because we are staring into an abyss.

if I was a teacher, would I bust my hole encouraging Irish kids to do their best ? Doesn’t feel right enabling them with false hope…

ultimately, now…

get sick, you are fûcked

look for a chosen college place, you are fûcked…

stiiting on roads and in public transport for an inordinately large percentage of your week…

if current Ireland is getting bleak, future Ireland will certainly be more bleak, more unfair, more against opportunities for taxpayers…

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

O Gorman is a do gooder virtue signaller and wants to be liked by his crowd for being such a humanitarian but the results of what hes doing will only be felt down the line when he iis out of the hot seat. Its typical of this government get short term approval at all costs and **** the future. He has no kids nor does Leo so they dont think like family men with childrens futures to think about. Children make people grow up and become mature until you actually have that responsibility for little ones you have no clue of their needs thats why its a dire mess they are making for twitter likes !!

• Advertisement

Granted there's not a lot of them but women do work in construction, food processing etc so I don't know what you mean.

I take your point regarding specialized skills, there's no argument there and it goes to the point I was making about trying to match skills to employers. I don't know if that will be a runner, but we'll have to wait and see.

As for the govt not knowing what they are doing, no argument there. Nobody does as this is an unprecedented situation. I liken it to covid when that kicked off, nobody has a clue what to do and it was a shambles. As time went on we got a better handle on it. This will be no different

A lot of Ukranian women stay home with their children unlike western women so the skill set may be a lot less than you think. They are a family orientated people and the men are the head of the family ( thence they are fighting for their country) which was the same as Ireland 50 / 60 years ago so we may have them as dependants for some time until their husbands collect them and take them home. I believe they will want to go home after some time to their home towns once rebuilt.

You really don't know what I mean when I imply that the number of young mothers and pensioners willing and able to work on building sites and in meat processing plants is likely to be negligible? Seriously?

This is nothing like Covid. What the Irish government is proposing to do, is to increase the population of this country by up to 5%, within a few short months. 'DaCor' do you have children? Can you honestly not see how people trying to raise young families and secure them access to a decent education and health care might be concerned by this proposal? 'It'll be grand' just doesn't cut it.

I have immense sympathy for people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine. However, 200K is an utterly insane number for this country to absorb. Let's be clear here. This is not a short term emergency resettlement. A statistically significant % will remain in Ireland indefinitely. I have zero confidence in the political class in this country not to transform this into a total s**t show.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

What are you basing this assumption on Mary?

Its not supported by any data I can find.

For example this site indicates that Ukrainian women made up a greater percentage of the total workforce in ukraine than women in Ireland, the Uk and Germany

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL.TLF.TOTL.FE.ZS?end=2020&locations=UA-IE-DE-GB&start=1990&view=chart

This will be very different, the legacy of this could be felt for decades.

already where possible some ukranians are going back having brought their children & elderly to safety they are a family orientated people nothing wrong with that.

What the Irish government is proposing to do, is to increase the population of this country by up to 5%, within a few short months. Can you honestly not see how people trying to raise young families and secure them access to a decent education and health care might be concerned by this proposal? 'It'll be grand' just doesn't cut it.

But it will be grand. Sure there will be bottlenecks in some areas, mess-ups in others, but overall, it will be fine. It's a wartime situation that requires putting pressure on some services to assist these folks.

I have immense sympathy for people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine. However, 200K is an utterly insane number for this country to absorb. Let's be clear here. This is not a short term emergency resettlement. A statistically significant % will remain in Ireland indefinitely. I have zero confidence in the political class in this country not to transform this into a total s**t show.

I've no doubt there will be a % that will stay but the % that will return home will be greater so I'm not worried. As for the ones that stay, great, I've no problem with them.

Social welfare doing their job?

And you're complaining about that? When they don't do it, you complain also.

No pleasing some people.

As you said, this is an utterly unprecedented situation. Never in the history of this state has anything close to 200K people arrived on our shores in the space of a few short months. You simply have no idea if "it'll be grand". Given O'Gorman's performance yesterday and the track record of this government, this will do a lot more than put some pressure on services.

So I ask you again. Do you have young children whose welfare is your top priority? Are you already struggling to find a home in a horribly tight housing market? Do have have an elderly parent, whose access to a woefully deficient health service, is a constant worry?

I reiterate; 'it'll be grand' doesn't cut it. I want to see a solid plan from this government on how they plan to deal with a potentially 5% growth in the population of this country. I want assurances that my family's access to education and health care will not be compromised.

• Advertisement

For years it was "omg welfare cheats, omg1!1!!"

Then checks and balances were put in place to stop the above

Now its "omg welfare bullies, wtf, trust me!1!1"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Advertisement