Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You could have written the same post at any stage over the past 8 years, yet nothing has changed/improved. It’s still the same, flashes of brilliance mixed with flashes of mediocrity or even downright bad play. Until he sorts out the obvious issues with his game, he will struggle to win anymore majors. Major winners rarely have 4 great rounds, but they also rarely have 1-2 bad rounds and still win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

My point was though that there is no player in the current generation that has been able to sustain major winning levels beyond a couple of years give or take. I know it's still early in a lot of their careers but look at Spieth and Brooks as a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Almost certainly, he's achieved almost everything in the game apart from the masters, he's already got a hall of fame career at 32. Has a great perspective on life. He's a big family man, I've no doubt he'd pick his family over winning the masters or any other major.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In order for Rory to win another major he will have to play at his best for 4 days. If Tiger did this then he was unbeatable. If Rory plays his best he's beatable. He may deny it but The Masters is a huge weight, especially considering he had it to lose when he capitulated so badly

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

He's part of the pack now - the pack being the top 10 or so players. I also don't buy into (mainly Sky's) the whole Rory is unbeatable at his best line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Very good point. I do think the way Mcilroy is in top 10 every week or thereabouts is phenomenal! but yet he gets no credit for it as he should be winning and maybe he should be. But hes always up there yes might blow up but hes still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That is fair comment.Golf is a strange game and ‘form’ is everything.

In a field of 70 or 80 there is almost always some ‘unknown’ who will shoot the lights out.

McIlroy I feel sometimes tries too hard and forces the shots, I mean a 350 yd drive is no advantage if you don’t hit the green with the approach.

Sometimes I feel he would be better in cruise control for a while and let the course come to him, avoid the double bogeys rather than foot to the floor on every hole.

Attack when the opportunity arises yes.

His drive almost out of bounds in Bay Hill and then the provisional into the water is a good example.

Look what Cam Smith did on the 18 th in Sawgrass…into the water with his second from trees, didn’t panic , got his up and down for a one shot win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

This nonsense we are subjected to from Sky each week particularly Nick Dougherty and Wayne Riley is getting very, very tiresome. McIlroy has no divine right to win any tournament he has to go and earn it like every one else. The way Sky go on you’d swear he walks on water.

I’m a big McIlroy fan but Jesus it’s hard to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Yes Agree. Not on Cam though like why the fcuk did he take driver! 3 shot lead. A 3 wood all day. I have played that hole its very daunting from the tee thats with nothing at sake! He nearly lost it or went into playoff which very easily could of happened.. I ended up far right before the trees up on the hill. Easy bogey for me from there 😄

Think sky love to build him up so they can cut him down when he doesn't deliver. Of course Mcllroy has no control over the media but it must be frustrating for him.

The likes of Koepka, Spieth, Morikawa could quietly miss the cut last week but if it was Mcllroy the knives would be out, we'd have opinions on his game from everybody, tv segments about what's wrong with his game, followed by more over analysis.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I do think now (in regard to blitzing a course on a given day) that Rahm is the top 1 day player and not McIlroy anymore.

I still do probably have McIlroy at a 2nd in that sense in that he can go out an destroy a course easily. However, in the same 4 days McIlroy could also get swallowed up by that same course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Rahm has just the one win in the last 19 months and is world number one, its difficult out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I agree he is one of the pack now, ranked 7th i think. Any one of the top ten could be expected to win a major. To be in the top 10 means they have the game to win. I think the media hold Rory back a bit. There is so much focus on him and he just can't handle that in the same way the likes of Tiger or Phil did.

If the focus was off him and he was just let go out and play like an Adam Scott or Oosthuizen he may fair better in the majors. But he is in such high demand before and after each round. In the pre tournament press conference. I don't think its helping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Spot on re Dougherty. He's full of crap, everything is sensationalised. On Thursday morning in Sawgrass, broadcasting live from beside the 17th green in darkness (before daybreak) he was telling us how "incredible the atmosphere here is already" and then following up with admitting that there was nobody on site yet and that play was expected to be delayed for a lot of the coming days. Like zero actual atmosphere. He's like a little cheerleader, and adores he Rory, albeit it is his job to trumpet the players that the UK audience will tune in to watch.

Rory's getting old!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just think how much better it would be to watch if he said, the weathers crap, the course is muck, nobodies here, and McIllroy has a better chance of winning the Powerball lottery than this tournament.

And there's no middle ground, obviously.....

There's so much data out there, and Sky have access to so much expertise. It's incredibly lazy journalism to trot out the same old tired meaningless soundybyte shite, when they could be adding proper data led insight into the course, the participants, their suitability to the venue/conditions, form related info etc.

Fair enough, the weathers bad, the course is ok, the crowds will be in later, and Mcillroy’s got as much chance of winning this comp as the Irish lottery.

I’m not sure reams of info like you mention above is any better of a spectacle. Maybe you want five hours of stats about every player, stimps, wind speeds, ball bounce etc, for others that’s about as interesting as watching the RTE colour card.

Cant blame the presenters for bigging up the competition, their job is to keep the viewer engaged, not bore them to death with stats.

Not talking about "reams of info", I'm talking about providing the viewer with interesting analysis. Inform them. Engage them. Not infuriate (or bore) them with the same old "Rory playing his best beats everyone, right?" type nonsense. I imagine the average golf viewer is capable of consuming/has appetite for intelligent well produced analysis.

There are plenty on this thread who lap up the Rory stuff, TBH, I don’t know why people get so annoyed with the presenters. Their audience is UK/Ire so it stands to reason that they are going to focus more on UK/Irish players and try to ham it up a bit. Personally I find talk about shots gained off the tee etc dull, the score that matters is what’s on the card at the end of the day, but if that’s your thing, turn the sound down and check your tablet between shots for stat updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Too much analysis and stats are a right pain the hoop.

All these stupid stats of total length of putts, sand saves, short side approaches are utterly boring.

Show us the golf, don't flood the commentary with stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Denny61

Couldn't agree with you more .what someone does in the present or future its what of interest..just cos a horse won one' or two prestige races and comes in the also rans..doesn't make him a good horse..constinency in winning does .a lot on here obviously fan boys..jst taking utter dross . Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Is Rory playing this week or resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory not in the betting . Very few in the top 64 not playing the match play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

Am I wrong or does Rory only win when the course is playing relatively easily and he can hit the ball high on all shots.

Considering we can't look into the future, using past performance is a way of estimating it. Capital letters and punctuation go a long way too

Maybe they are just producing content for the lowest common denominator?

Otherwise known as?

The target audience/subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory scorecard crazy today - just 6 pars. The rest birdies/bogeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

6 birdies, 6 pars, 6 bogies. Consistent

Advertisement