Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

It does seem like a protectionist racket when solutions can be found so quickly when the eyes of the world are on a linked greater crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I wouldn't be quick to equate homelessness to the housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Insane. Thats an extra 4% to our population immediately.

Genuinely, where are we supposed to fit 200,000 extra people? Infrastructure, public transport, housing, schools, healthcare??

Maybe the least densely populated country in Europe might need them especially when housing has almost sterelised our own population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Long time lurker on here. Although I've posted a few times.

Put a booking deposit on a new build a few weeks ago. €330k, it's a 3 bed semi. Around 109sqm.

It's going to be A2 rated and it will have PV Solar Panels which will heat the water and provide electricity.

However the heating system will be a highly efficient condenser gas boiler. I had thought these weren't allowed anymore but apparently they are if it's a condenser boiler.

Would a heat pump be better or is it much of a muchness?

I was originally looking at second hand houses but the prices were getting close to new builds and there are a few new build developments in or around my town (and the next town over) and with the HTB and lower interest rates for a new build I thought the new build was the best decision.

I'm a Property Solicitor by trade but I'm working as an In-House Lawyer now. Currently my Solicitors are raising pre-contract enquiries but I'd say I will have to sign the contracts in the next few weeks. Have written loan offer too but the property is not due to be ready until Q4 this year so the loan offer will have to be reissued most likely. The Building Agreement/Contract will have the Law Society's usual subject to loan clause in it anyway so should be ok in that regard.

Suits me that the property is not ready for a few months anyway as I can save more towards things like flooring, furniture etc.

Happy to have the booking deposit paid and hopefully it all goes well from here.

Funnily enough in my area some of the second hand 3 bed semis I have looked at recently and bid on seems to have fallen apart as I have had estate agents ring me to see if I want to increase my previous bid as the sale agreed price purchaser has pulled out. Example is second hand houses having successful bids well over 300k, just an average C rated BER 90sqm house, then weeks later estate agent would call and ask if I want to increase my bid from weeks ago before they re-advertise. So I wonder are purchasers bidding high then later realising that these prices are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Well since men of working age are banned from fleeing Ukraine, I doubt there'll be many builders and tradesmen in that cohort.

So what would we need 200k women and children for? I'm all for helping those who need it, but the idea that we need 200k refugees is laughable. 200k is more than the population of Galway, Cork, Waterford, Limerick cities. Only Dublin is bigger. We cannot build another cork city's worth of housing right now - nor do we have a cork city's worth of vacant units suitable. So where do these 200k go?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

Exactly, there is a certain percentage that will always be homeless for various reasons such as chronic drug/alcohol abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I'm sure that our extremely well remunerated politicians and bureaucrats have a plan that isn't something like "shure it'll be grand." I'm sure....

Even if they were builders or tradesmen, you can't build houses out of thin air. Furthermore, where would these people live themselves, and when they've built the houses, will they just leave? We're already at the situation where many immigrants are living in shared bedrooms, and the solution of "build more" would only help if there were not an every increasing influx of new people. If this does not change, we're heading towards tenement life for many people here.

Of course, none of this is allowed to be discussed in mainstream discourse. Anyone who even suggests that immigration needs to limited will have their lives destroyed. This is simply malicious. The state and its venal, bought and sold media will tout about things like "diversity" and "culture", but the reality is that they merely want to import people to abuse, milking them for tax and rent to keep themselves in pensions for another few decades. If this does not change, we are in for some very dark times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Middle income tax payer is going to get rode so hard on this. It will be so bad you'll thing the rogering youve been getting up to now was just foreplay.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heat Pump is "better" in that it's a more renewable option than the gas boiler and more future proof. But also more expensive up front. Works differently to the gas, heat pumps are designed to be turned on 24/7, they keep the house at a constant temperature rather than turning the heat on/off when needed.

The gas boiler will be fine though. In an A2 rated house you will probably rarely use it in spring and summer months. In autumn / winter you will have it on for 1 or 2 hours in the day and the house will be warm for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

80k to 200k in 2 weeks. If that trend continues we will have a serious problem here with housing. The council will be looking to snap up any house it can get. New private estates will surely have more than the standard 10% social requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

We have one of the highest birth rates in Europe

I've been out of the country for a week, but before I left there were over 10k willing to take some in. While away in a small town in northern Spain, there were as many Ukrainian cars as spanish. This would be amongst the poorest regions in Spain yet an obvious location for accomodation

I'm in Limerick, 2 schools closed here recently with capacity for 2k student 1 is now a covid vaccination centre but with all the school infrastructure in place. We had another on this forum renting out classrooms for accomodation

When did infrastructure become disposable in Ireland at the same time as a housing crisis?

Our school intake is forecast to fall 20% over the coming decade over a period of increasing population. Absolute madness. It looks to me that what this country needs is young families as our policies have severely harmed our own

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another reminder about the notes in the first post.

Did anybody see The Way We Were on RTE? I thought it was very interesting to see how attitudes to housing have changed so much over the lifetime of the state. As well as the proportion of renters. The way we live in our houses has changed so much. People were delighted with their council houses when they were first built even though many of the houses were tiny by today’s standards and had large families living in them.

We expect so much from our houses now by comparison. Very influenced by tv and so on, I would think. Not saying people are wrong to want more than shelter from a house but I think it was interesting to see the evolution. Really makes you realise how far we’ve come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Actual homelessness is a mental health/addiction issue, not a lack of housing issue for me. It does not mean however that we do not have a catastrophic housing crisis (i.e. unaffordable and undersupplied housing).

As of right now, 551 ads for rentals in Dublin city. Truly we are at breaking point. To say there is no where to rent is somehow becoming a fact; nothing at all to rent in our capital city of Ireland. It's mental. And this is in the context of WFH just starting to end and new hires slowly starting to arrive into the country. Brace yourselves for an economic squeeze before the pressure causes an economic fallout.

Europe is

A below replacement rate

B far more densely populated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I told you about the refugee crisis coming out of the Ukraine when it kicked off at that stage I thought we couldn't take 20k people in. I have argued that we have had a net influx of migrants year on year since 2014 and we are the most fertile country in the world and people are living longer, we stopped building for a decade and are still not building enough to cover off the population increase let alone what will be needed for births vs deaths and migration. People need to accept that we are not building enough houses another 200k people from the Ukraine alone prices are going up for at least another 5 years at this stage. There will need to be a world war to cause the kind of panic that would see a shift in the supply and demand issues.

• Advertisement

All high income countries are below replacement rate, with the exception of Israel. Population density has very little to do with it. The US and Australia have much lower population density than us and their birth rates are lower than ours. Meanwhile, the population density of Israel is more than 5 times ours.

There are lots of theories about why birth rates are lower now than in the past, there are even some related to housing. But there is no one simple explanation. There are a lot of things at play. It’s hard to separate out structural and cultural causes but the reality is that Irish people used to have large families in small homes, most of them rented. Houses are much bigger and better now but our expectations have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Maybe this is just me but has anybody else noticed a flood of additional houses that are up for auction soon and others that are in need of some moderate repairs on the likes of Daft over the past week or two?

I don't have real stats or anything but I've been browsing Daft a good bit over the past two months and over the weekend, I noticed a lot of what I think are additional houses up there.

Actually, the stats I can find are there was 13,040 properties for sale in Ireland on January 5th. That's up to 13,578 today. About 350 additional properties have been added since the start of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

its very hard to tie down as sites like daft and myhome have adds up there that have houses for sale when they are sale agreed or even sold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks. Yeah I thought the heat pump would be better alright but I suppose the gas isn't a deal breaker. Plus I can always upgrade to a heat pump down the line if really required. Glad to know gas in a new build shouldn't have to be on all the time to keep warm.

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have a gas boiler in an A2 house, my gas bill is about 15 euro a month on average, and that also includes heating the water during the autumn / winter when there's usually not many days for effective solar.

In the colder months generally stick the heat on for an hour first thing when we get up, and then maybe an hour in the afternoon / evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

the 13k includes sites and other odds and ends.

There are around 10.8k of houses and apartments for sale on Daft and during the past week there has been a small uptick in houses and apartments for sale in Ireland. Around 300 extra properties advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It is now springtime and the time when properties traditionally come on the market. Post Covid as well, so the first proper spring market since 2019. You'd hope to see a further increase over the next month. Let's see if that happens.

I was hoping it would but fear the war in Ukraine and all the potential knock on effects for the world economy may scupper much hoped for activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Fear could also be driving sentiment to some degree in a couple of ways.

People considering selling may have concerns of the potential for an econoimic downturn or recession in the near term, thereby limiting future price growth. Hence they may think this could be the last opportunity to get the maximum selling price, in turn increasing supply.

Fear can also incentivise sellers who have been holding out, as they react to seeing more properties come to market worried about increased competition.

Either way, more properties coming to market is a good thing.

I'm definately sensing we may be at the beginning of a change in market sentiment. To be clear - Im not suggesting a buyers market anytime soon. But we could be heading in the direction of a somewhat more normalised market.

The green shoots are there, but there is a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

They go somewhere safe that Russia cannot blow them up with bombs. What is wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

America yeild curves beginning to invert. I'd personally keep an eye on the 10 and 30 year rates and when the invert possibly June/July a recession will follow in 10-18 months. Yeild curve inversions have been a key indicator of recessions the last 80 years. If we get a recession in America, Europe with this war ongoing and its dependency on Russia could face a worse time of it. Growth slows consumer spending slows, job openings slows, layoff start, insolvencies start all the while interest rates will rise to fight inflation that will only most probably fall when a recession dampens demand. I would love to know how this will affect housing but its too f**ked up at the minute to say.

I work in the construction sector mainly building materials supplies and demand is slowly falling, especially since cement went up in Febuary.

With what happened Roadbridge most companies are tightening their credit ie only giving the big boys 1 month credit as opposed to 3 months (trust me this is happening).

All this leads to a negative outlook on supply side, I do believe there will be a slowdown in house building as costs are too high at the minute and new builds are totally unaffordable.

All in all this housing crisis is an absolute disaster.

Advertisement