Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

That's a beaut! Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I see the ski hatch/armrest again, must come as part of the Dinamica seats option. I think they're becoming a must have for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I really like the grey seats but don't think I can justify the cost with the lack of VRT relief adding so much to it. In saying that, my finance quote was with the Pilot L pack which I couldn't get so maybe the price increase for seats won't be so bad.

Oh right did you get a quote on finance already? Is it Volkswagen PCP and HP that's available?

Yeah finance quotes are available so you should be able to throw some numbers around with a dealer to get an idea.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Will look at that next week so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

We both test drove today and she placed a deposit as a result. Feels a step up from the ID3 and much nicer styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Saw a white one down in Waterford today when we were test driving the Ioniq 5. It is nice looking in fairness.

Just my luck my dealer hasn't gotten theirs yet!

I'm curious to see what the seat support is like. Fifth Gear said they aren't as supportive as the Cupra Leon which is unusual as they're both bucket seats from the same brand. If the sport seats in my standard Golf are solid I'd like to think these are just as good.

Is that the Karun Chandook review? He was throwing it around in track test v. the Leon. Don't know if i'd be pushing it to those limits myself!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah you wouldn't push it that hard on the road but I do like a spirited drive from time to time. I believe he's the only one who didn't like the seats so probably a non issue.

I see Airside Cupra have one listed now too, Vapor Grey. Seems all the demo cars have Hurricane wheels.

Was Karun in the standard seats or the Dinamica options?

He was in the Dinamica seats. I imagine they're a similar base just different material. The cloth seat doesn't have the extending leg support.

I'm due to test drive next week, looking forward to it.

My dealer has one in now, outside of the arrows for the built in navigation I wonder if the HUD will be any use. Hopefully I can get a test drive this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have it on my Id.3 and it can be useful but I could also live without it.

Well then. I had my test drive and was very impressed! A couple of things I'm not gone on if anyone is interested, I can discuss them here.

Otherwise, a very nice car and looking forward to getting my hands on one!

Still waiting to hear about my test drive.

What wasn't to your liking?

• Advertisement

Always good to get feedback from potential owners rather than the journalists. I've watched a ton of reviews and I feel like they're very divided, Autogefuhl or our own Nobby On Cars seem to think there's a bit of tweaking to make it drive a bit sharper, even without DCC or 231hp but others think it's just the same car. It seems like some criticism is just for it being a Seat and people favour the ID.3 for no real reason. We know it's not a GTI and obviously it will be very similar to the ID.3 as it's the same platform (the Leon and Octavia don't seem to get this criticism?) but it does seem like they've done enough to differentiate it.

Yea I loved it to be honest. Didn't get a chance to drive it on flowing or twisty roads but still had it out for a good 30 mins or so.

The demo car had the HUD option which is a neat bit of kit, but I could never justify the €1k cost. It's virtually invisible when wearing polarising sunglasses, but I'm sure it looks much better at night (when obviously the sunglasses are no longer an issue!). I did like the Sat Nav arrows and info on the HUD, and a cool little amber line indicating the car in front when using the adaptive cruise control --- cool tech but unnecessary really --- distracting if anything. The ACC worked brilliantly, couldn't really test any other tech options. The parking camera and sensors are great, although anything is better than what I have currently, which is none!

I feel like you wouldn't be long getting the hang of the infotainment system, it reacted well to any of my swipes and pushes. And the steering wheel touch sensitive buttons are a bit of a pain at first, but nothing like the disaster some reviewers make them out to be. I got the hang of it after about 3 attempts.

I wasn't gone on the 20in Hurricane wheels but that's just a personal style choice. I felt the bumps and undulations in the road a bit, not excessively though, probably down to the large wheels and it being a pretty heavy car. And maybe I was noticing it more as there was no engine noise, who knows. However, the benefit of that stiffer setup is better handling I'm sure --- couldn't really test that.

The grey Dinamica seats are gorgeous, rear ski hatch/arm rest a big plus --- however the massage function is a gimmicky waste of time. There are cheap plastics in places on the inside, you hear the reviewers talking about them all the time, but it doesn't bother me --- let's face it, it's not a Merc.

It's quite a tall car and bigger than I imagined. Decent boot and much nicer inside than the ID3. Still plenty of room in the back behind my drivers seat. Seemed quite dark in the back, even on a bright sunny day, as the rear window is so small it doesn't let a lot of light in, plus you have the black headliner and trim. The panoramic roof would make a huge improvement here, but that's also an expensive option.

The PCP finance package isn't as good as I was hoping, at 4.9%. Other manufacturers are offering 2.9% or even 0%, but on cars I do not want so it's a moot point really!

Overall, I was very happy. I'm aware of the brand recognition issue DaveyDave mentions above, but I don't particularly care, I know its a thoroughly decent car and a very desirable one at that!

Long post incoming :)

Called my dealer just before they closed yesterday and arranged a test drive this afternoon. 30 minute spin on my local roads. Nice to go alone so I could focus on the car.

I'll start with the negatives, there isn't many. The seats aren't as buckety as I'd like. In my Golf it feels like you're in the seat whereas the Born feels more like you're on the seat if that makes sense. Support is still ok though. The only real downside is my right leg was on the side support a fair bit, the seat might be offset to the left a bit due to the electric controls?

I'm 6'4 and I had the seat at the lowest, there wasn't any room for a passenger to put their feet under the seat and I definitely couldn't sit behind myself but with a rear passenger I might get away with not having to move my seat for them to get their feet in like in my Golf. The seats are higher due to the batteries so it's less of a drop getting in and out of the car but the seating position is normal so you don't feel like you're sitting upright in an office chair.

Interior is nice. The perforated leather wheel and alcantara door trim make up for the lack of soft plastics which in reality don't lift the cabin at all and are just a talking point for reviewers, the wheel has a nice shape. The HUD is cool looking but pointless in reality.

The ride quality was impressive, I wasn't sure how it would feel on 20" wheels but the tyres are 215/45 which is a 97mm sidewall, 17" wheels on my Golf have 225/45 which is 101mm, a Golf on 18" is 225/40 which is 90mm so the ride won't be harsh due to the wheels. Suspension soaked up bumps quite well, better than my Golf sport suspension. Not sure if it's the weight of the car or just better quality parts with it being Cupra but I'd even consider removing DCC as passenger comfort should be fine. It handles decent too, roundabouts or accelerating out of a corner is solid although you do feel the weight a little bit. Didn't push the car too hard as the Continental EcoContact 6 aren't a performance tyre but traction didn't budge, the heavy RWD combination keeps it planted.

I might switch DCC for dinamica seats. In Drive mode there's no regen when coasting as it's more efficient to just coast but I did notice the smart/active regen when approaching a roundabout or turn without me touching the brakes so it's nice to know you don't need navigation on for that, I believe that can be turned off if you want.

Does the panoramic sunroof have a retractable screen?

It has a retractable blind as far as I know if that's what you're asking.

I won't be ordering until this time next year and I'm counting down the days already!

Dealer said it's too late to change spec, surprisingly as we're a long way off from the car being built but he's going to double check as someone also asked. If I can't get dinamica seats it's not the end of the world but considering I ordered blind and only had a test drive last week I'd be pretty annoyed if I can't remove the dynamic suspension as the nornal suspension isn't harsh and drives comfortable so I don't really need it now...

Was this a dealer in Dublin by any chance?

I was told something similar, that removing an option would mean my order would go to the back of the queue and I wouldn't be guaranteed a car this year (not that anyone is guaranteed one to be honest).

Thought it was a bit cheeky and a sales technique in an effort to maximise the price paid... but maybe that's me being overly cynical.

Yeah they're in Dublin. It's possible the car is going through the system business as usual despite not having a demo car to sit in as the Born has been available to order elsewhere since September. If that's the case it's poor form from Seat as the orders shouldn't have been opened so early. I wouldn't mind but I only called them a few days after my test drive it's not like I waited until they were bolting on the wheels and shipping it off before wanting to change anything.

Then factor in lead times, ID.3s ordered before Christmas have a 2023 delivery time and I was already order 5 of 10 in my dealer in the beginning of March so I didn't want to wait around, the next batch of cars probably won't arrive until next Spring/Summer...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Yea it's poor form alright.

I wonder if you'd get the same hassle if you tried to add an option that increased the sale price? Doubtful.

• Advertisement

That's the thing, the suspension is €800 and I'm replacing it with the €1,200 dinamica seats, they'll be getting more out of me!

Advertisement