Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Did you enter and work in those countries illegally, or did you meet their visa and employment requirements and guidelines?

If the former then you should have been refused entry or deported. If the latter then why is it any different for people coming here?

Your argument is basically "shure they're here already and they have lives and children" which, I'm sorry, is a nonsense counterpoint. "Outcasts and issues" - so?? Should I feel sorry for people who don't even respect our country enough to be here legally?

They shouldn't be here in the first place, they know it, we know it, so why should we turn a blind eye? Should we drop any pretense of immigration controls completely then in that case?

It is entirely normal for a country to have immigration controls and require new arrivals to apply via legitimate entry methods and respect our laws. Just because they haven't been caught (yet) does not excuse this and nor should we just ignore it because they might have to face the consequences - the same as would happen in any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"What is the issue with keeping people who have made a life here? These people are working, have children etc in Ireland."

"As I already mentioned it is clear that ireland has illegals already in the country and they are not going to suddenly fly out to get caught. So either you can bring them into ireland as citizen so they can make a proper life for themselves and their children. Or keep them as outcasts and end up with issues long term."

What issues long term?

What about the others that are queuing and filling out forms, and following the proper route to get an Irish citizenship?

Who is is working, has children and made a life here the majority of them, or the minority? The ones that now have a family and have made a life for themselves, it's not really a life, is it? They also knew that they were illegal before they started, and they should never have been able to go that. How are they supporting themselves?

Who is employing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I am not sure why people constantly tell other poster on here what their argument is. Do people honestly think they know someone else opinion?

As I said the people are already here, they are already integrated into our society and keeping them outside will only end up in long term problems which loads fo other countries have seen

This end up in huge criminal problems etc

It was 17000 people who is thought to avail of this bill. This in a population of 5m. To me it’s better to integrate now and stop the king terms issues

In the US for instance it’s over 10000 Irish.

Um.. You have stated your opinion and reiterated it there. It's exactly what I said - essentially "they're here already so leave them be because we might cause them issues if we enforced the law".

If you're telling me that not doing so will lead to criminality then that's even MORE reason to have effective immigration controls.

You also didn't answer my question - when you lived/worked abroad, did you do so legally or did you chance your arm knowing that you were breaking their laws by doing so?

I did both, not sure what difference that makes.

If you look around the internet and if you have travelled you will see what happens with illegal immigrants not getting integrated into society. Kids are not sent to school because they have no paperwork, those kids grow up and what options do they have? People are taken advantage of by employers who have them working with no workers rights etc.

No idea how people are unaware? This is very new to ireland but most countries are years ahead of ireland. From what people are saying we should just ignore what has happened in other countries, do the exact same as they done and hope it turns out different

As I said it’s 17k people. Bringing this people into ireland as citizen is a lot better move than keeping them out.

I have yet to see you come up with any reason why it’s so bad, apart from them skipping some paper work, which by the way they will have to do now.

So what is the issue with bringing these people in as citizens?

Post edited by brokenangel on

• Advertisement

"What is the issue with keeping people who have made a life here? These people are working, have children etc in Ireland."

"As I said the people are already here, they are already integrated into our society and keeping them outside will only end up in long term problems which loads fo other countries have seen

This end up in huge criminal problems etc"

These are allegedly the "for" illegal immigrants to be made legal - argument. You know, the ones that already broke many laws to get here.. . The threat that they will become more criminal if we don't give them free money.

you seem to struggle with reading and comprehension on all my posts. Sorry but I cannot provide any further assistance, to myself the post is clear and concise. Thanks

Well your first sentence explains your view on the topic alright. As someone who did the same abroad yourself from what you've said, it's not surprising you'd have no issue with others living and working illegally in another country (in this case, ours).

The difference is that if someone has no respect for the immigration laws of a country, what expectation that they'll respect any of the other laws of that country, such as employment laws which you also say you broke yourself.

Good for you. Not so much for the citizens and legal migrants in those countries who abide by those laws.

Yet you expect illegal immigrants and workers to be felt sorry for because they're victims? Please! The only victims are the aforementioned citizens and legal migrants who are being undermined and paying for the abuse of their hospitality by chancers.

As for the notion that we should not only ignore this but feel sorry for them and reward them with citizenship - again a perspective skewed by your own experiences and sense of entitlement you had to break the laws of your hosts, but absolute nonsense in the real world.

I already told you what we should do instead - properly screen at point of entry and deport anyone without legitimate and valid reasons for entry, and likewise identify, detain, and ultimately deport any such chancers who do show up in the system (hospitals, welfare, known industries or employers where they frequently end up working illegally etc). This isn't rocket science and there's plenty of international examples to work from.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,962 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's happening for the same reason we don't have a proper defence force, resources and funding have been stripped from those tasked with immigration control.

But typically the power swap and fans will blame everybody but themselves. Alá Varadkar blaming the idea that people thinking that somebody else coming to our rescue for the state of the defence forces.

Pathetic.

BTW People living and working illegally are not 'integrated in their community', it goes against every thing 'integrated' means.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think the real figure is going to be a lot higher than 17000, McEntee was even hinting this as well.

I get what people mean when they say it will bring the illegals into the system and they will become taxpayers like the rest of us but it also sends out the wrong signal to people intenting to come here illegally that this country is a soft mark compared to other EU countries.

Immigration seems to be a topic that successive Governments are afraid to even have a discussion about in this country, and it won't be any different if SF get into power because thy are in favour of even more liberal immigration policies.

• Advertisement

The jobs the majority of immigrants are doing, the Irish will no longer do. It's like all the people complaining about Keelings and giving jobs to overseas workers, yet Keeling only had 40 people applied for jobs.

Go to any companies and a certain job type, Irish people won't do it. They would prefer to sit on the social welfare.

So either Ireland brings people in who are willing to do these jobs, or we just ignore and hope it all works out. Want a view of how it looks? Well Brexit is an excellent view with last year the UK saying it had a huge staff shortage.

Also in terms of the 17,000, they are already in Ireland, they are already working you will find. So if someone can explain how Ireland will get 17000 people to back fill for these people? while putting a stamp down telling immigrants they are not welcome so we are not the "soft touch"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Does anyone know about this? Behind a paywall. Disappeared off the top stories.

A national politician has become involved in a Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) investigation.

The CAB visited the offices of the Oireachtas member as part of a probe into the finances of a suspected criminal.

I only know one national politician currently suspected of criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The inference seems to be that the subject of the Garda investigation is a client or former client of the politician - and that the politician in question still does some work in that profession.

From the article:

<snip> - copyrighted content removed

Suggests it's someone that still maintains their old professional office - and someone who was previously a county or city councillor.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Good to see the continued uptick in residential commencements.

Would you go away with your good news story😇🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

I see Regina Doherty is once again embaressing herself and FG again.

Not sure how an apology is "embarrassing herself". I guess that is what you are referring to ?

I guess it is what she tweeted originally is what they were referring to.

Not really. I think majority of people in Ireland would agree with her.

A certain opposition leader tweeted about this and the responses are hilarious.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it has anything to do with this

The timing with that coming up must feel very unfortunate for Helen McEntee, and her donations that were each hundreds over the allowed amount per donations. Just the way it will remind many people that certain partys and payments for favours often can go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

We always need entities from outside of the state to put manners on our politicians.

You need to ask her, the image's I seen posted prove she was 100% right

Well she obviously couldn't stand behind the images she was seeing, so I doubt you would be able to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That FG fool Alan Farrell is absolutely spoofing and waffling on the Tonight Show. How did they elect him in again!?

They are discussing Direct Provision and he simply doesn't know how to answer simple questions. Direct Provisioning was supposed to be a short term arrangement and here we are 20 years later with some families staying 10 years in these centres.

I think history will be very unkind on the way successive FFG governments treated people in the context of Direction Provision centres. It will be up there with the Mother and baby homes, Illegal Adoptions and Industrial schools.

The journalist was correct when he warned Ukrainian refugees not to expect good public services when they get here.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Every government TD goes on these shows they are a fool, or car crash etc etc etc. Seriously change the tune

Dragging the mothers and baby tragedy in to get a cheap shot is not very nice. Is that what the tragedy should be used for now? Thrown around online for digs at political parties?

"he simply doesn't know how to answer simple questions"

That seems to be a trait that extends to their lackeys on here too. But he is exceptional in the fact that he made it to where he is. He will never be an appointed minister, they are well aware he is only holding a seat until they get another candidate in his area. He was lucky in his timing. Even the FG voters wouldn't vote James Reilly anymore and there was nobody else. Farrell got the default vote from FG voters too stubborn and arrogant to admit he's useless.

Absolutely, the hypocrisy is beginning to stink to the high heavens tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Car crash you say?

TD Alan Farrell claimed €880 worth of car repairs after minor collision - but later dropped case - Independent.ie

Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell alleged he would have to have more than €880 worth of repairs done to his car following a minor collision - but later dropped a claim for material damage after photos of the vehicle were shown in court.

Mr Farrell says he is "satisfied the matter is concluded" and will not be making any further comment following a segment on whiplash injuries on Prime Time last night.

‘Insurance sector telling us porky-pies for quite some time’ – Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell - Independent.ie

A FINE Gael TD who made a compensation claim for whiplash after his car was pranged at 5mph has accused the insurance sector of telling “porky-pies”.

Alan Farrell took a €15,000 legal case as a result of the road accident – but was only awarded €2,500 after a judge described his injuries as “very minor”.

The Fingal TD alleged he suffered neck and shoulder issues which affected his personal and professional life for up to 18 months.

The court was shown a photograph of him up a ladder with an election poster four months after the incident.

Alan Farrell Whiplash Claim After Vehicle 'Rolled Into His Car At 5 mph' (extra.ie)

A Fine Gael TD filed a claim for damages and personal injuries after a van rolled into the back of his vehicle at ‘around 5 miles per hour’.

Despite the minor nature of the collision, Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell had more than €880 worth of repairs done to his car.

Judge Coghlan said there was ‘little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash’.

TD Farrell campaigned actively in weeks after 'significant injury' - Independent.ie

Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell continued to actively campaign in the weeks after he claimed to suffer a "significant injury" in a crash.

😂

Yet ye turfed Maria Bailey out who got nothing from her duplicitous case.

New Politics?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well seems 95% of asylum claims are bogus you would think the government has a right to challenge the claims who sometimes appeal for 10 years trying to con the system.

They are free to leave anytime they want, no one is holding them against their will.

Advertisement