Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In case it got missed in the new page.

How many NCAA Division 1 Championship Finals did Will Thomas compete in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

A very strong statelemt from Seb Coe, head of world Athletics. “gender cannot trump biology”.

I think that's the core of the discussion here. One side argueing that the female category should be defimed by gender/identity, the other side arguing that it should be definiteed by sex/biology I agree with Coe that sex/biology should be the determining factor in seperating the categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

first three replies:

• Conservative politician hands out participation trophy
    • why is the government involved in sports?
    • So let me see if I understand this right: A competition involving University of Virginia and University of Pennsylvania swimmers held in Atlanta, GA is what you're arguing, as the Gov of Florida, getting to declare the winner of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fair play for the measured response, credit where it’s due 😁 It’s an interesting point you raise about equestrian sports because there’s an ongoing debate over whether or not they will continue to be recognised by the IOC as an Olympic sport, given they are accessible only by a tiny minority of people who have the resources to be able to participate in the sport in the first place, and it truly is an horrendously expensive sport - my son recently has taken to it like a duck to water after years of me trying to steer him in the direction of rugby, hurling, swimming, etc. I don’t mind supporting him, I’m in the fortunate position that I can, but I just wish he’d developed a passion for a less expensive hobby! 😂

I think this boils down to a battle of ideas over "identity". You want to define the category of woman in sport to include anyone who identifies as a woman. I'm not a woman myself, so this is not my battle primarily. But, if women want to maintain their space in sport for themselves, then they are going to have to fight for it, because that's really all it is, a fight over definitions and the meaning of words.

From an outside perspective, outside of collegiate level sports in the US that is, I can understand why it might look like it boils down to a battle over definitions and meanings of words. But that’s not the reality of it, that’s simply the way it’s being portrayed by some people who are keen to maintain the status quo. Why do they want to maintain the status quo? Well, collegiate sports in the US is a $19 Billion dollar industry, annually. That’s right - BILLION, and the athletes themselves see very little of that money (until a recent case which determined that athletes may receive an income from their likeness being used) -

https://www.statista.com/chart/amp/25236/ncaa-athletic-department-revenue/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association_v._Alston

And in spite of having lost the case, the NCAA still manages to make themselves look like they give a shyte about the athletes and fairness and all the rest of it in sports -

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/6/30/ncaa-adopts-interim-name-image-and-likeness-policy.aspx

The sponsorships and so on are not an income for the athletes as such, they are an investment, and that sponsorship is only available to an elite few. It wouldn’t make any sense for sponsors to associate themselves with losers, in the same way as the IOC income from broadcasting rights is in the region of four billion (there’s that word again) dollars from American broadcasters like NBC, and an additional $7.5 billion from NBC in 2014, and again the athletes see very little of that income, and only the elite of the elite, are sponsored by brands who don’t wish for their brand to be associated with losers, never mind athletes who will never be seen by an audience of three billion people.

I’m trying to put it in context for you because this isn’t just about dictionary definitions or ‘science says this’ or any of the rest of it. It’s not even about laws and organisations arbitrary rules which individual States, sports organisations and even at the level of the President of the US who can issue Executive Orders on a whim (Obama included protection from gender and sex discrimination in Title 7, Trump issued an EO to reverse it, Biden issued an EO to reverse Trumps EO… you can see how it flip flops depending upon who’s in Office), it’s about maintaining the status quo which it’s greatest beneficiaries regard as entirely fair, to them at least… vs a mounting challenge to the status quo from the people who are benefiting very little from it, being joined by people who are being completely excluded from benefiting from it at all.

It’s about people who were never represented gaining equal respect and recognition and status as the tiny minority of people who are benefiting the most from the current status quo. Naturally, the people who are benefiting the most will play the victim and portray themselves as being under attack, but arguing to be regarded as being of equal status, to put an end to the flip-flopping fcukwittery over their legal status is not attacking anyone. That’s why the policies and laws needs to change, even if they’re forced to do it through gritted teeth, because they really, really don’t want to!

The dissent is gaining momentum, and it’s not just people who are transgender are arguing for recognition and representation, it’s a growing number of people who has ever known how it felt to be unfairly treated and discriminated against in order to uphold and maintain the status quo which was founded by a minority of people based upon some fairly shìtty beliefs about their own superiority over other people - beliefs that were never supported by science, beliefs that still aren’t supported by science, and trying to maintain that science supports their beliefs is doing nothing more than promoting pseudoscientific nonsense, because the “scientific evidence” to support their theories just doesn’t stand up to critical examination. It has as much legitimacy as Lisa Littman’s “scientific research”, which has been widely condemned for it’s perpetuating pseudoscientific nonsense -

https://aninjusticemag.com/what-parents-dont-know-study-reveals-fatal-flaw-of-rapid-onset-gender-dysphoria-c7cd95030c24

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lia Thomas case was a topic of conversation on Newstalk OTB today

https://youtu.be/sWgIB-tm5PU

Some of the comments off that link leave a lot to be desired

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

OTB actually give a shite about women's sport, so you can tell they've approached this subject in a fair and rational way.

Not like those in here who openly admit to not caring about women's sport.

do you care about women's sport?

because I don't. But I do care that women get to have the ability to have their own sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Here is a link to the swimming section in the Sports forum on Boards: https://www.boards.ie/categories/swimming

i could be missing something but a brief look at the first few pages of that sub forum had nothing about female swimming. Why the page after page here regarding a race won by a transgender woman?

because most people dont care about swimming. A lot of people care about transgenderism and the growing trend to accept belief over biology and the erasure of sex-specific spaces in order to accommodate people who believe their self determination of "gender" means they should be accepted as the biological sex that they identify as.

It's nothing to do with sport. It's everything to do with how people align when it comes to the specific culture war of gender identification.

• Advertisement

the only real argument these days when it comes to transgender these days is competitive sport. So if it’s nothing to do with sport and you have no interest in sport…then what is it that you don’t like about aparticular human being?

im curious to know if transgender people were banned from competitive sport (that you admit that you have no interest in) what else would you want them excluded from that you have no interest in?

I believe that sports that are segregated into male and female categories, should only have males and females competing in them.

Same as I would about weight or age categories in sports.

It doesnt matter whether or not I have an interest in the particular sport.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I do care about women's sport and up until recently was actively involved in it.

You and I aren't too far away in terms the stance we have here. I think it's a tough situation for everyone involved and I don't know what the fairest solution is. I have sympathy for trans men and women because from accounts I've heard it can be a mentally scarring process to go through to try and realise just who you are.

However, as highlighted by Ross Tucker in the OTB interview above, you can't get away from the impact puberty has on the male body, even if you try to take treatments to reduce the natural levels of testosterone in your body.

And alongside that, I would imagine there are many women who would lean more on the opinions of those who 'get' women's sport, rather than another pity party from someone who only cares that they get to run, jump and swim around a couple of times a week and use this situation to further their own agendas.

Before you ask, I have no proof of that, but as someone who has actually been involved in developing women's participation in sport I know what a lot of women in sport care about, and it's not someone who only cares about them when this particular issue arises.

That’s a good point. And honestly I really am not here to start an argument. I made a point previously on this thread regarding a podcast from Jordan Peterson who made the point that when it comes to discussion about transgenderism it mainly centred around competitive sport.

so in competitive sport, certain exclusions separate competitors related to hormone count so there is segration.

also certain athletes are excluded from categories based on the above is sprint races versus long distances. So it’s not a case of men v women.

When it comes down to it is Sport the real discussion or is it simply a dislike of transgenderism. Because when someone states they have no interest in sport, but speak for athletes in it, it’s not a good look.

thats fair enough. i respect your opinion and experience.

For you perhaps, it has nothing to do with sport, but for the people who wish to participate in sport in accordance with their gender, it has everything to do with changing the criteria under which anyone is eligible to participate in sports.

In many countries, gender and sex are interchangeable, and the concept of “sex-specific spaces for women based upon them having an appropriate number of biological markers to denote sex”, is the recently made up phenomenon to counter the belief that people who are transgender are as entitled to equal rights and protection from discrimination as everyone in society.

Sports are just one example among many where people are determined to keep people who are transgender from being able to participate in public life, starting with inhibiting their ability to avail of education by insisting they use the “correct” bathroom, to ensuring they aren’t permitted to participate in sports in accordance with their gender, because of what’s recorded on their birth certificate -

Beggs asked to wrestle in the boys’ division but the rules for Texas public high schools require athletes to compete under the gender on their birth certificate.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-texas-girls-title

Athletes and sports don’t exist in a vacuum, there are other considerations and factors involved, as part of wider society, like the fact that everyone has the right to autonomy and freedom of expression, freedom of thought, conscience and belief, those sorts of rights, as opposed to some made up nonsense about “sex based rights”.

Sorry OEJ.

I disagree.

Males and females are different. Sex is different to gender.

As someone who was involved in competitive female sports what was the percentage of transgender athletes involved in same?

Did the hormone requirements for 12 months previous of those transgender athletes level the playing field to some extent?

as someone who was involved in female competitive sports, how does it feel like for people who openly admit that they have no interest in womens sport to speak on your behalf simply because they have an issue with transgenderism?

Sure I know you disagree and wish to apply your own standards as if they’re worth anything, when Irish and international law says otherwise. I know lots of people like that who wish to apply their own standards to other people and pretend there’s any conflict of rights when in reality, there really isn’t - the same standards of protection from discrimination and prohibition from practicing discrimination apply to everyone regardless of their sex, gender or their own personal beliefs about either concept.

ok oej.

you may think my standards dont mean much but I'll continue to hold them.

I disagree with you

• Advertisement

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that should be respected. But at the end of the day the data regarding the impact of transgender athletes on sport is inconclusive https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.verifythis.com/amp/article/news/verify/sports-verify/trans-woman-athlete-advantage-inconclusive-bans-harmful/536-49343f8d-12e2-4c90-84aa-271491ac4dce

Where female sports is used as a stick to isolate and discriminate against a minority group, and let’s face it is the main way to do so based on unfounded opinion then it is unfair and unwarranted.

It’s not just a question of what I do or don’t think, it’s a question of knowing for a fact, that your standards don’t mean anything. You’re free to hold them of course - freedom of expression, freedom of thought, conscience and belief and all that, but your standards have no effect in Irish law. That’s the point I’m making and that’s what I’m pointing out as fact, regardless of whatever you base your beliefs on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is a side to this debate I don't think has been touched on before and that is...the fans.

Pro sport isn't something that exists in isolation. Pro sport wouldn't exist without the spectators, the fans, whether in swimming they be armature or casual swimmers themselves, or, like many pro sports, they are armchair viewers, and have never participated in the sport they enjoy to watch on the telly in their lives themselves.

So, when ppl say, oh your not motivated by 'caring' for women's sport, rather trans-phobia, they are ignoring the fact there are those who do care from their own personal interest. Literally that means, if a fan thinks a competitor has an advantage, then that affects their enjoyment of the sport, as a spectator, even an armchair viewer.

So, it's not so much they 'care' or need to care about women's sport, it's more they care about what they are observing from their own perspective. 

Of course it's desperately hard to make a completely level playing field when it comes to any sport. Say in Snooker a taller person has an advantage because they don't have to use the rest as often which makes a pot much more difficult. Or a Left handed Tennis player who has an advantage because the right handed players don't usually play against a left hander, and the Left hander almost always plays a right hander. The fact one is left handed per se has nothing to do with making them a better player than anyone else. It's not so much the lefter has an an advantage, but the right hander has a disadvantage when they play a left hander.

But the thing is, all these kinds of physical differences are accepted. By and large noone complains about these differences. Neither the competitors nor the spectators. 

A person born male playing with women is a different thing altogether, and I can't see spectators ever accepting it, from their own selfish view you could say. But it's still not trans-phobia.

Post edited by AllForIt on

Thats all fine and dandy.

Women and men are different. Boys and girls are different.

If there is a sport, a space or a situation where male and females are segregated, it should be respected.

Gender is different to sex.

It's only a matter of time before the race for progressiveness eats itself. Most sane minded people know that this is bullshit. I'm prepared to wait it out.

which pro sport are you referring to and is there any evidence that transgender competitors have an edge in that sport that is not levelled by the hormone count eligibility requirements?

and with regards to fans, why is there literally no posts about this in the female athletics/swimming thread from fans but pages of it from posters who literally say that they have no interest in female sport?

What are your thoughts about the current segregation regarding testosterone serum levels as eligibility criteria?

honestly I have no skin in the game but see this issue as the first and foremost instrument to discriminate against a minority.

Honestly, I haven't looked too deeply into it.

I have no skin in the game either. I just believe that women and men are different, deserve to have their own spaces and categories and shouldn't be compelled to accept someone of the opposite sex as the same because of some abitrary designation of a gender by someone who is biologically different to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

which pro sport are you referring to and is there any evidence that transgender competitors have an edge in that sport that is not levelled by the hormone count eligibility requirements?

All pro sports? Professional sport that wouldn't exist without sponsorship, media coverage, advertising, and big financial rewards for the participants, and the most crucial think...the fans. Because all that couldn't exist without the fans, as if the fans have no say in the matter.

and with regards to fans, why is there literally no posts about this in the female athletics/swimming thread from fans but pages of it from posters who literally say that they have no interest in female sport?

From my participation in a couple of sport forums here ppl don't care to talk about political stuff. That's what CA if for.

A person born a man playing with women is a different thing altogether, and I can't see spectators ever accepting it, from their own selfish view you could say. But it's still not trans-phobia.

It’s not any different from anything else that’s different. It’s not any different from any other accusations made by both fans and rival competitors that their opponent has an unfair advantage.

It’s entirely from a persons own selfish view, and when they try to distance themselves from their bigotry by claiming that not only do they get to define what constitutes womanhood, they also get to define what constitutes transphobia, that too is entirely from their own selfish view. If a person is motivated to exclude participants because they are transgender, and introduce measures which are intended to disproportionately apply to people who are transgender, then people are going to see it for what it is and make their own determinations of what is motivating that person’s behaviour.

Apart from any of that, it’s not the fans who determine anyone’s right to participate in sports. Fans of any sport are fans of the sport, not just the players. Plenty of people support players for one reason or another, and there is no shortage of support for people who are transgender who wish to participate in sports in accordance with their gender.

It’s one of the reasons why Lia Thomas did what they did, in spite of knowing the backlash of public outrage they would receive for doing so, because they wanted children who are transgender and younger transgender athletes to know they’re not alone -

“I just want to show trans kids and younger trans athletes that they’re not alone,” she says at the coffeehouse. “They don’t have to choose between who they are and the sport they love.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/03/03/lia-thomas-penn-swimmer-transgender-woman-daily-cover

Similar sentiments were expressed by Tom Daley when he made it known to the world that he was gay -

“When I was young, I always felt like the one that was alone and different and didn’t fit in, and there was something about me that was always never going to be as good as what society wanted me to be,” he said.

https://olympics.com/en/news/tom-daley-sends-rallying-cry-to-lgbtq-youth-you-are-not-alone

For some people these things aren’t important, for other people they are, and it can lead to the gathering of support of a whole new legion of fans of not just the athletes in question, but an interest in the sport where they know there is a place where they fit in.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. But surely if it was such an issue as per your point regarding fans they would raise it.

from what I see regarding transgender impact in sport (and let’s be honest it’s female sports) it’s isolated to amateur sport. So again what pro sports are you referring to (bearing in mind I have referenced above and will again that there is no conclusive evidence of the impact of transgender impact in sport https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.verifythis.com/amp/article/news/verify/sports-verify/trans-woman-athlete-advantage-inconclusive-bans-harmful/536-49343f8d-12e2-4c90-84aa-271491ac4dce

Advertisement