Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The poster in question is a well-known and proven liar. Everyone knows this given the poster's history on this site.

Although filleting him at ease is fun, I wouldn't take his word at anything.

NATO's concern is not, at heart, real people and their lives

What is their concern then?

Still puppeting the pro-Kremlin line I see!

I have not spoken for or againest nato as regards eu peace and have not argued againest anyone other than eire joining it

Quite why you feel need to post long irrelevant non-sequiters which yous then attempt to substanciate via strawman arguements is beyond me,

but its just really really poor posting quality,which deosnt even rise to level of whataboutery,yous would be laughed out of a leaving cert level debate,with that post above there,

francie is free to entertain piss poor posting,which runs from any obvious qs/flaws being pointed out while hurling personal abuse back to paper over lack of depth in yous dogmatic posts,

but im old enough know a bluffer blowing smoke up peoples hole from along way out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not people's lives. That has been proved already. If it was, Ukraine would be in NATO. Is Zelensky toeing the Kremlin line too? His people are dying.

More useful idiot stuff.

I see Brian Becker is the person behind that channel.

This is the guy who excuses the Uyghur Genocide and parrots Chinese State Official's Tweets on the matter.

• Advertisement

You really are the most dishonest poster on this site, arent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Look Blaaz, I'm wise enough to know I've touched a nerve. Reflexive thoughtless dunderheaded anti-NATO sentiment has long been a sacred cow of certain elements of the left. That's some folks hobby horse and I can live with it.

But what's not kosher is in the act of launching the most despicable war in Europe since WW2, when the Russian state sounds the horn, these chumps come running and start parroting propaganda like clapping seals. Some mealy-mouthed "oh dearisms" about what Putin has done, and then endless rants about NATO.

It's an embarrassment to the left, and they bring shame upon our democracy and the peace that millions have painstakingly built since the end of the Second World War. History will not be kind to the "yeah but" merchants when the cost is counted of this conflict.

To be honest Blaaz, I don't know do you too have a sneaking regard for that type of tought pattern as well. I suspect you might.

As for LC debate? Whatevs, I've minced Francie in this thread and he deserved every word of it. He's a card-carrying "true Irish Republican" making an absolute show of the movement and has an appalling grasp of its principles on the evidence of his showing here.

The only rants on here are your attacks on posters with a different opinion to you.

I'll remind you what the thread title is about = NATO and us joining it.

Why you wish to stop discussion of NATO and it's actions is bizarre and deeply suspicious.

The political left seriously needs to be wide of the company they're keeping at the moment. There's some very bad actors running the show in places like Beijing, and they do not wish the welfare of European democracies well. The 21st century is not going to be a comfortable one for the rules-based democratic order, and I'll repeat, the political left, particularly the hard-left, would want to do an audit of what they stand for and what company they wish to keep.

The 'questions' being asked are some of the most childish stuff I've seen on this site. They are purely dishonest.

• Advertisement

Is this the same poster going off on tangents about Coveney? Give over Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Its absolutely time we considered joining NATO in my opinion.

I know its unlikely we'd be attacked but you never know - and if we were to be we'd be wiped out in no time.

The Americans wouldn't come to our aid - that's clear now with the situation in Ukraine.

Our neutrality wouldn't be worth a tuppence to us if we were attacked.

And again more strawman arguements and non-sequiters to try bluster through personal prejudice without facts and logic

....its impossible to touch a nerve as regards this issue,when at best ive a passive interest,just find notion of blind support for an organisation who founding member have committed war crimes here perplexing tbh and the notion we should join laughable

the notion of europe building peace since ww2,while im old enough to remember german politians floating possibility of flying countries who were in bailouts at lower level at eu functions soon falls asunder imo

No tangent, I explained why I mentioned him. Just because you don't want to confront the hypocrisy inherent in what he did doesn't make it irrelevant.

NATO isn't a personality contest, it's a military treaty alliance designed to protect the peace in Europe and the democratic dispensation. Like others, I'll refer you to my post on page 1 of this thread: I'm not even necessarily full-on in favour of Ireland joining NATO. My broader point, that NATO has been essential to protect Europe over the course of the 20th and 21st century is correct, and a gilt-edged fact that for whatever reason, drives the cranks nuts.

Facts? Logic? Your last sentence gives the game away Blaaz, those words actually have meaning and aren't punchlines to deploy in a losing argument

No you didn't. You dropped in some cryptic nonsense about Coveney looking for votes, then didn't even have the manners to explain what you were blathering on about.

Except yous havnt provided facts as regards keeping europe safe?

Yous have provided alot of dogma and rethoric loaded with abuse to paper over lack of depth,but little in way of any actual facts?

Like yous are free to proclaim your belief,dont particularly care really,but notion that it cant be challenged and yous need to be resorting to hurling abuse suggests to me anyway,something is amiss as regards the substance of it,and it is worthy of further examination

(the inability and refusal to even acknowlege the main body of posts only serves to further suggest your positions foundation is weak as fcuk)

You didn't know he went to Moscow looking for Russia to vote for us in the UN?

Ok...maybe google it.

Blaaz if you don't think the long European peace isn't down to NATO backstopped by the US military presence after two centuries of the continent tearing itself apart, you don't have bean about what the latter half of the 20th century was about and the last two decades of this one.

Absolutely mystifying take. You want evidence? How about 70 plus years of the major powers of Europe not at their throats with the US as the sword and the shield. If you don't accept that as evidence, you're way beyond hope and are off in your own dogmatic dreamworld.

🤣🤣

That's your evidence of hYpOCrIsy???

Francie, you're not cut out for this. Utterly pathetic contribution.

• Advertisement

Maybe Taiwan should join NATO too so?

Your dishonest questions are an obvious way to try and draw the argument into a cul de sac. Earlier you were giving out about talks regarding Ukrainian membership of NATO being one of the reasons the Russians invaded. Now you are blaming NATO that Ukraine is not a member in the first place.

At least be consistent in your dishonesty.

Yes, if you are creating lists of people have contact with Russia after Crimea and 2014, which is what you are doing.

More than the left enabled Putin is the point. They clearly don't like to be reminded of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dr Leech

The Americans would feel compelled to come to our aid. Firstly, there is the small matter of a very powerful Irish-American constituency in the US. Secondly, Ireland is smack bang in an important geostrategic area for the US: back door to the UK, front door to Western Europe and a potential launching pad for a hostile power to vie for dominance of North Atlantic.

Correct, the Putin bots needs new material.

Francie was peddling this nonsense in the SF thread weeks ago before he got thrown out of the place like a drunken under-aged teenager.

Of course every country gets canvassed. Are you being serious?

But Russia had invaded in 2014 and annexed another country. It should have been a pariah state for those on your rant list but not for Ireland when they needed a vote.

You are not being very consistent here.

Anyway, maybe sleep on it. I am off to bed.

You've lost it Francie and are resorting to desperation tactics.

You're quite correct, it's long past your bedtime

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the americans aren't guaranteeed to come to our aid even if we did join nato.

we are actually more likely to be attacked as part of it then not, and we are better off out of the issues nato membership does bring.

the only options open to us are.

1. spend big on our own defense and use gurrilla tactics which would bog down an invasion force, if the provos could bring the british army to a stailmate then a decently equipped irish army should be able to hold up reasonably via the use of similar tactics.
    2. a european defense force which is defensive only.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Time to get our defence up to a minimum standard and then a true debate on joining NATO.

Nobody is coming to help if Russia ever decides its too tempting to take an undefended mouthy island right between Europe and the US. Everyone is too afraid of the nuclear bullying tactics.

I was in favour of a strong defence and being non aligned. In light of recent events it is clear that it is now foolish not to join nato.

Those opposed must hate freedom and democracy. I recommend emigration to north Korea, China, Russia. But would prefer if you stood up for your beliefs and died in a dicth alongside putins murderers and rapists.

The world has changed

Advertisement