Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

Yeah, thats mostly bullshit though and doesn't change the fact that males are different to females.

Nothing to do with bigotry or opinions or prejudice.

that link is invalid but what are you hoping to disprove?

Do you think men and women are interchangable?

Men and women are different.

If someone is a trans woman, that doesn't mean they are biologically female.

Its not bigoted, ignorant or insensitive to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s fact though, and calling it bullshìt won’t change it, just like it’s also a fact that males and females are different. That’s stating the obvious though, because being transgender wouldn’t be a thing if males and females weren’t different. That make sense?

The point is that males and females being different doesn’t justify discrimination which is regarded as unlawful, and no amount of calling Irish law bullshìt is going to change the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It’s entirely from a persons own selfish view, and when they try to distance themselves from their bigotry by claiming that not only do they get to define what constitutes womanhood, they also get to define what constitutes transphobia, that too is entirely from their own selfish view. If a person is motivated to exclude participants because they are transgender, and introduce measures which are intended to disproportionately apply to people who are transgender, then people are going to see it for what it is and make their own determinations of what is motivating that person’s behaviour.

but as long as you didn't imply anyone is transphobic, its all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Firstly what is invalid about the link?

Im not really trying to prove or disprove anything just pointing out that when people use competitive sports as an argument to isolate an oppressed minority, especially when they have no knowledge or interest in women’s sport it’s a flawed argument.

Firstly there is segregation in it with regards to testosterone serum levels and also quite stringent requirements to compete. Secondly as the participation of transgender in it is between 1-3% how can it be such an issue? Thirdly as there is literally inconclusive data as shown it is simply opinion based, and in reality opinion based on discrimination.

So taking all of the above, In my opinion it is bigoted or at least unwarranted attack on people simply because of them as humans.

Oh Q, if I want to call someone transphobic, I will, and there’s nothing to stop me from doing so.

The point I’m making is that the whole “It’s not transphobic to say this, that or whatever”, is no different than the “I’m not racist but…” stuff. I don’t care whether it is or it isn’t, but the person saying it does. It’s why they claim they “can’t say anything”, but say it anyway 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The reason I said to you earlier that Trans is not Gay, is because you keep bringing up gay as a comparison to Trans, and here you go again.

On Tom Daley's comments, there is no reason to know for certain he didn't 'fit in' because he's gay. It could be about his personalty, not the fact he's gay.

I would personally say I never felt I didn't 'fit in' anywhere in my life. And you know why that is? Because it's my personalty. I can as well fit in in a bogger sports bar playing a game of pool in a county bar as I can fit in in a city gin bar. I don't have a persecution identity complex like some.

I don’t keep bringing up gay as a comparison to trans. I’m not comparing them. I could just as easily have used disability if you’re more comfortable with that? Because the point is, and I know you get the point, because you’re able to point out that you yourself don’t have a persecution complex - you do understand that the point is the experience of discrimination on the basis of ignorance and prejudice is common to people who do not fit in with societal expectations.

Daley made exactly that point himself, in the article I linked to, so to suggest that there is no reason to know that he felt didn’t fit in because he’s gay, has nothing to do with how you feel about being gay, or how anyone else feels about you being gay for that matter.

The point is that Daley reached an audience of millions of young people who feel as he did at some point in his life and he can relate to them, and they can relate to what he’s saying. They don’t have to be gay, they just know what it feels like to not fit in. It doesn’t mean anyone has a persecution complex when they’re being made to feel like they don’t fit in, and a case in point is the social media witch-hunt that has followed Lia Thomas because they are trying to fit in, knowing there are people out there who will go out of their way to make sure people who are transgender know that they don’t fit in.

I’m truly delighted for you that you’ve never experienced what that feels like.

The point is that Daley reached an audience of millions of young people who feel as he did at some point in his life and he can relate to them, and they can relate to what he’s saying. They don’t have to be gay, they just know what it feels like to not fit in. It doesn’t mean anyone has a persecution complex when they’re being made to feel like they don’t fit in, and a case in point is the social media witch-hunt that has followed Lia Thomas because they are trying to fit in, knowing there are people out there who will go out of their way to make sure people who are transgender know that they don’t fit in.

There may very well be a social media witch hunt as you say, that's social media for you, but that does not mean noone is making cogent non-transphobic arguments against born males competing in woman's sport.

Daley has done pretty well for himself for someone who felt he never fitted in. Long last it, and I've no issue with his message to people who feel they don't fit in. One doesn't even have to be a minority to feel they don't fit in. Such is life.

• Advertisement

I dunno if it’s you or it’s me, but it’s like you purposely go out of your way to miss the point 😂

It’s not that there may be a social media witch-hunt, there is! Clearly, and it’s not just on social media but it’s in rags like the Daily Mail and it’s something which people experience in real life, that has real consequences and real impact on people’s lives.

Whether anyone makes a cogent argument about whatever else isn’t the point, and it’s not just life, it’s people - miserable shytehawks who go out of their way to try to make other people’s lives as miserable as their own, and that’s why it’s important for people who are targeted by these assholes to know that they’re not alone, there is support out there for them, and their lives will get better. Like you say - Daley hasn’t done too badly for himself, and neither has Lia Thomas, and that’s why they wanted people who felt like they didn’t fit in to know that they’re not alone.

Whether anyone makes a cogent argument about whatever else isn’t the point, and it’s not just life, it’s people - miserable shytehawks who go out of their way to try to make other people’s lives as miserable as their own, and that’s why it’s important for people who are targeted by these assholes to know that they’re not alone, there is support out there for them, and their lives will get better. Like you say - Daley hasn’t done too badly for himself, and neither has Lia Thomas, and that’s why they wanted people who felt like they didn’t fit in to know that they’re not alone.

How are you with Latin Jack? I'm not good at it, but what you're saying there is along the lines of an Ad Hominem. Not quite, but similar.

I'm actually quite surprised that you of all people would resort to this kind of rhetoric, given that I'd expect you think your own arguments are cogent.

I could equally assume you're a Social Prejudice Warrior, similar to the Antifa crowd, and judge you by your input on the Multiculturalism thread, and say that you're not listening to any arguments but you're motivated by nailing people who you think are prejudiced, not that you really have any particular interest in Trans or Multiculturalism, but are just arguing against people you personally judge to be prejudiced, for the fun of it.

It's not gonna work on an anon discussion forum to assume all arguments you disagree with comes from prejudice. It's fine if you think that personally, but it's not a cogent argument when it comes to the issue of born males competing in women's sport.

Christ for someone who claims they don’t have a persecution complex! I wasn’t talking about you at all!

My latins shìt in any case, been years since I’d any actual use for it.

Being gay in sport is a very real issue that effects so many. You can see this for example in English football with devastating consequences for example Justin fashnau committing suicide and his brother johns actions that in some way causing that https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42.ie/john-fashanu-itv-justin-payment-3965840-Apr2018/%3Famp%3D1

But homosexuality in sport and transgender discrimination are completely separate issues. Firstly, as far as I know, no sport bans homosexuals from competing whereas there is ban after ban for transgender competing. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/article/transgender-athlete-ban.amp.html

As for cogent argument, can I ask one thing…seeing as report after report clearly states that there is no conclusive evidence that transgender athletes have an advantage e.g. https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/four-myths-about-trans-athletes-debunked/ and also when you look at the percentage of transgender athletes competing at under 3% what is the cogent argument? All that I see being put forward is men and women are different and segregation is required, but completely disregarding that testosterone serum levels et Al already exist.

For transparency, being a male who played rugby and hurling quite competively I didn’t have to think about transgender impact while playing but equally as a human rights lawyer (well until a change of roles) I value humanity over uninformed opinion based argument.

Transgender women's advantage in sports is inconclusive due to lack of data

what happens when the data comes in, and it is conclusive?

Well when it does then that Is the start of a cogent argument based on data.

until then, just have to rely on the actual data from reputable sources.

I suppose I could ask you what is your thoughts on the current data?

the reduction in muscle mass, strength, speed, associated with hormone therapy do not cancel out the advantages of having gone through male puberty, and the majority of this reduction occurs in the first year, with 'diminishing returns' (if thats the right phrase) after that. so it's not like 5 years on hormone therapy is very different to 3 years

Apologies I don’t know what this is in relation to.

The problem with the conclusions of that data is that the data is sourced from small-scale studies which had numerous issues in their methodology. The data doesn’t come in at all if athletes are barred from participating in sports in accordance with their gender, which is what’s happening already.

The NCAA have effectively passed the buck and absolved themselves of any responsibility in the same way the IOC has done by leaving it up to the governing bodies in sports to determine their own criteria. It’s why athletes are having to go to court to be able to uphold their right to participate in sports, some 40 years after Renee Richard’s succeeded in suing the USTA -

"When an individual such as plaintiff, a successful physician, a husband and father, finds it necessary for his own mental sanity to undergo a sex reassignment," New York Supreme Court Judge Alfred Ascione wrote, "the unfounded fears and misconceptions of defendants must give way to the overwhelming medical evidence that this person is now female."

https://www.history.com/.amp/this-day-in-history/renee-richards-us-open-tennis-barred

Is your thesis that any post pubescent male is a better athlete simply because of male puberty?

again the studies show that trans athletes do not have an unfair advantage in sport https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/four-myths-about-trans-athletes-debunked/

just did a media bias check on aclu and came back mixed but mainly factual which is passable but not great so did more research.

it is correct that there is an advantage in lean mass and strength for a limited time but this is not a conclusive advantage as strength is simply that. Again nothing shows that transgender is advantageous and the tiny percentage of transgender in sports shows that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Honestly - why? What is the point of and logic behind the separation of genders?

again the studies show that trans athletes do not have an unfair advantage in sport https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/four-myths-about-trans-athletes-debunked/

You've posted that twice now as it is some kind of definitive proof, but it doesn't actually link to a single study about the physiological conditions of trans people. It says it is a myth that they have a physiological advantage because they face other societal problems and some people have long arms. Trans people face countless other barriers in life, I do not deny that. This discussion is unlikely to be helpful to them, and I regret that it is so prevalent. But having proponents spout that it makes no difference and there is absolutely nothing to worry about unless you are a raging bigot is a massive part of the reason that there is such an argument about it as it precludes any attempts to accommodate trans people in as fair a way as possible. Also people's other genetic makeup obviously impacts them - this is the classic "Phelps had big feet" argument. Yes he did, many swimmers do. He was also about 1% faster than the other top male swimmers, not 12%. Sports is looking for these "abnormalities" but one distinction between people (male puberty) utterly swamps everything else.

Have you actually read the other link you posted? Ross Tucker is incredibly opposed to the IOC guidelines and was part of the panel that ultimately banned transwomen from playing international rugby. He also doesn't believe that T suppression is sufficient. I should add, World Rugby released comprehensive accounts of all their discussions and reasonings behind the decision. What evidence there was was limited but it all pointed in the same direction - that there was an inherent advantage.

Sports is looking for these "abnormalities" but one distinction between people (male puberty) utterly swamps everything else.

What evidence there was was limited but it all pointed in the same direction - that there was an inherent advantage.

What evidence there is, was not just limited, it was practically non-existent, and inconclusive, as opposed to any idea that the underlying assumptions they were attempting to prove “swamped everything else”. In a systematic review of what studies were available in 2017 -

Objective

To the authors’ knowledge, there has been no systematic review of the literature pertaining to sport participation or competitive sport policies in transgender people. Therefore, this review aimed to address this gap in the literature.

Method

Eight research articles and 31 sport policies were reviewed.

Results

In relation to sport-related physical activity, this review found the lack of inclusive and comfortable environments to be the primary barrier to participation for transgender people. This review also found transgender people had a mostly negative experience in competitive sports because of the restrictions the sport’s policy placed on them. The majority of transgender competitive sport policies that were reviewed were not evidence based.

Conclusion

Currently, there is no direct or consistent research suggesting transgender female individuals (or male individuals) have an athletic advantage at any stage of their transition (e.g. cross-sex hormones, gender-confirming surgery) and, therefore, competitive sport policies that place restrictions on transgender people need to be considered and potentially revised.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5357259/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

My mind boggles - seriously why are people so trans phobic? Allow people be who and what they wanna be

Yes, there is incredibly limited evidence specifically in sportspeople. There is evidence for people in general that they maintain significant advantages. It is perfectly reasonable to posit that this would extend to professional/high-level athletes (why wouldn't it?) unless there is evidence to the contrary.

This is not to even get into the point that, for example, the new IOC guidelines specifically state that athletes should not be put under pressure to take medication in order to compete. The mandated T reduction is not guaranteed to remain and presumably we can all agree that that would be unsustainable? (and yes I am aware that most trans people would be on hormones anyway, though seemingly not all these days).

I did follow up on the aclu study by saying that I did a media bias check on aclu which found mixed left leaning. I did a bit more reading and acknowledge that lean mass and strength may exist but in reality that is not a defining factor.

This article is interesting in its opinion https://www.science.org/content/article/scientist-racing-discover-how-gender-transitions-alter-athletic-performance-including

But going back to my original point, the vast majority of people who are arguing that transgender people should not be competing in female sports are doing so not because of female sports but as a way of discriminating against transgender women.

I did follow up on the aclu study by saying that I did a media bias check on aclu which found mixed left leaning.

I don't mind that they are left-leaning, I care that their article is garbage and doesn't remotely purport to do what they claim. I am not surprised that they are more concerned about the inclusion angle (makes sense and they do fine work), but they try here to wade into scientific debate without backing it up at all. It is worthless.

But going back to my original point, the vast majority of people who are arguing that transgender people should not be competing in female sports are doing so not because of female sports but as a way of discriminating against transgender women.

I don't doubt that that is the case for a significant proportion. Whether it is a majority I do not know. That is unfortunate, but it doesn't much change the underlying issues.

And yes, Harper's work is decent, but a fundamental flaw in it is that she generally only considers current testosterone levels and not the impact that testosterone had during puberty. Current T levels are not particularly indicative of performance at least within gender/sex though the gap between them is still large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Who do transgender men compete against?

Every policy doc I have looked at across a wide variety of sports has stated transgender men who have medically transitioned (which means they are taking hormones) may compete in men's competitions as long as they sign a legal wavier stating the understand and accept the risks.

Do you think a competitor with a testosterone bulked body competing against women would fair? Because that is what deciding by biology rather than gender means.

It means more and more instances where athletes like Mack Beggs are forced to compete while having a distinct advantage.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-texas-girls-title

Do we accept trans men using testosterone competing against cis women who are barred from using testosterone, ban trans people from competing at all, or accept the reality that trans athletes exist with hormonal modified bodies and find a formula based on those hormone levels that allows them to compete according to identified gender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

That link doesn't work for me either. "Access denied"

Joanna Harper, the sports scientist who had more influence over the current IOC guidelines than anyone else (possibly because she is trans) admits that there is an impact. So, for anyone to claim that there is no impact is making an extraordinary claim, and the onus is on them to provide the evidence, not the other way round. The presumption until that time should be that trans women have a significant advantage over biological women.

The problem as well is that the answer isn't that you handicap trans women by some arbitrary degree and hope that that leads to a similar level of performance on average. There are so many problems with this, if it's possible at all, like how are you going to measure it, reliably and free of any bias? There are already suggestions that Lia Thomas has been swimming slower than she is capable of in some races. How can you prove or disprove that?

We have to accept that men and women are physiologically too different, that they can artificially be made the same somehow. Even the whole idea of trying to do that is not accepted by many trans people in sport, including some arguing on their behalf at times here. Being born male is just another in a list of advantages to these people, like good hand eye coordination for tennis players or quality of fast twitch muscle fibres for sprinters.

• Advertisement

Listen, you make excellent points. Really good points actually. And as a 43 year old white male who from the age of 3 had a Hurley in my hand, went to an all boys primary school, remember in 2nd class laughing when a boy said he wanted to be a nurse when he grew up, then went to an all boys boarding school playing rugby and hurling 6 days a week.

realistically I shouldn’t even try and debate this because I have no clue. But when I see people openly admitting that they don’t care about female sports and are only arguing because they fear the impact of new definition of gender (eg post 9270). Isn’t it more appropriate to ban competitive amateur sports than to discriminate against human beings?

Advertisement