Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I like their updates but Russia seem to have been reorganising for about 2 weeks now, to no great effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stuff like this kinda reminds me of watching TV reports from Russia's invasion of Afghanistan when I was a kid and the Mujahideen fighting back and how we cheered them on. Even Rambo got involved. 😂 That aged badly as the 90's rolled along and the new century beckoned.

Now these are no Mujahideen as far as alien doctrines and attitudes go, but let's just say the same above member of parliment would have more in common politically with The National Party here in Ireland than FF/FG/SF. Her main political drive has been anti corruption in Ukraine and she was dragged out of her car one night and very nearly beaten to death by thugs with the support of the government of the time for her work there. And it didn't stop here. Very cool and brave isn't in it and the above current stuff shows she's lost none of that.

However she started her political life in and as the press secretary of the Ukrainian National Assembly party, a far Right outfit. Her since murdered by the opposition husband was a member of those Azoz lads. Then as her views matured she ended up in the National/People's Front, a very conservative and nationalist Centre Right party. In Ireland and I'd bet by many reading this thread they would be seen as much more Right than Centre.

Like I was saying earlier when some were pointing out that other European nations have more neo nazi and far right groups than Ukraine, in that part of the world they simply don't need as many as the mainstream parties are more Right wing and conservative and nationalist anyway. Certainly more than many if not most centre Left and Liberal Irish people would be exactly comfortable with. Now Ukraine has been changing and much of that down to a real desire to look West and join the EU. EG attitudes, if not legislation have softened to LGBT rights considerably over the last decade.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"But the volume that you give… for one week we use in 20 hours. We have so many occupiers, our military calls them locusts." Zelenskyy

I don't think Ireland or any other member of the EU should be neutral in the face of this. Solidarity doesn't prevent deaths and casualties - it's a cowards way of soothing their tiny conscience.

The Ukrainians want more aid and you are saying 0-1,800 AT4s wouldn't make a difference when everyone else is sending enough - well they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well I suspect medical equipment, ambulances, helmets and body armour might prevent deaths and casualties to some extent.

And in case you hadn't noticed the EU has been supplying weapons; Ireland just chose to make its portion of that donation to not include weapons. If you're arguing for the EU to dive into Ukraine and fight the Russians well that's a slightly different thing.

I mean I'm not opposed to Ireland doing more to help Ukraine but I don't think sending offensive weapons is going to be of much material help to Ukraine in the grand scheme of tings; and is also at odds with our long-held military neutrality. If we had a few medium to long-range Soviet SAM systems which Ukraine badly needed I might have a different view.

EDIT:

I mean they're even asking explicitly in their message for anti-air capabilities and cruise missiles; none of which we have.

Well a Ukrainian minister claimed that Poland is actively preparing for a Russian invasion so it wouldn't be a surprise if their training is ramping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Sergei Lavrov speaking a short while ago at the Moscow State Institute of International Relations has said even a peace keeping mission will risk war with NATO!

Yes only russian «peacekeepers» are good enough offcourse

At least he's being consistent with his veiled threats. On present evidence that imaginary war would be extremely brief.

It's a pretty far-fetched notion when they can't even secure a few small eastern Ukrainian cities and they'd have to get across western Ukraine first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Historically Russia and the USSR before it has been fond of spouting stuff like this to judge Western responses to them. Kinda like the way they send in conscripts first. To soften things up and judge the opposition. Like those Russian TV shows with ranting old farts straight from Soviet central casting going on about invading Poland and the West and nuking Washington. It's all spin and smoke and a way for them to try to hide their true aims. They can always deny afterwards anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Renault isn't the only French business still doing business in Russia: Decathlon is still trading there (something to think about if you're planning a trip to Ballymun) as well as the Leroy Merlin DIY chain and the Auchan supermarket chain.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité indeed.

Worrying signs that Russia might have badly compromised Kyiv's air defences; at least one S-300 launcher and possibly more claimed to have been destroyed yesterday in Northern Kyiv:

And then today what might be Russian SU-25s spotted attacking targets in Northern Kyiv uncontested which they haven't been able to do since the start of the war:

It's also possible they're Ukrainian SU-25s I suppose; it's impossible to tell from the video.

This is my main concern about Ukraine's ability to keep Russia at bay; that their air defences just will be whittled away and Russia will be able to use their air superiority much more effectively all throughout Ukraine. All while the West takes its sweet time getting them the anti-air capability they've been constantly asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Decathlon is still trading there (something to think about if you're planning a trip to Ballymun)

Well I suppose to be fair to them, if they are located in Ballymun, the pictures of the terrible destruction coming from Ukraine might just remind the workers of their drive home out of Ballymun.

That said, I suspect that they don't have strong links to their location. If they did, they'd be more likely have been called Decoathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

This raises the question has there been any notable boycotting or drop in sales in the Western world of those still doing business in Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I think the issue of 'how right wing is the Ukraine', is a game that Russia would love us all to start playing. Here, and on the other thread lots of people have questioned the nature of the ASOV brigade. While also glossing over the fact that there are NAZIs fighting with the Russians too. One was decorated 'Hero of the Russian Federation'.

The fact is repeated conflicts with Russia, which were all instigated BY RUSSIA - will have a negative effect by promoting extremist anti-Russian parties, and groups. We have seen this action/reaction politics in many conflicts throughout history (including Ireland, British actions in the North in the 60s/70s were rallying cry's for the IRA)

• Interference in Ukrainian Political affairs internally
    • Annexing Crimea
    • Arming Separatists in the Donbas
    • Blatantly attempting to Bully the Ukraine, and treat it as though it was a mere province of Russia

IMHO if Ukraine has serious Right wing extremist problems - Russia created said problems. In order to use as an excuse for this invasion. We can hope that when this conflict ends, Ukraine will begin to calm down. Politically i mean. But Anti Russian sentiment could last decades or longer.. Especially if Putin continues to stoke the flames perpetuating it. Which he will. The man is an abhorrent war criminal. And just as a generation of Ukrainians will be baptized in the fire of Hatred for Russia - so too will Russians; They will despise the 'Neo Nazi Ukraine, and their Jewish president' - The difference is that i can sympathize with Ukrainian loathing of Russia. The Russian animosity toward Ukraine is 'artificially grown', based on lies, and serves only to help Putin remain in control ..

Its horrifying, I dont know what else to say.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

I wouldn't be overly shocked if Ukrainian ultra-nationalists become incredibly popular after the conclusion of the war; especially if the war ends with Ukrainian soil handed over to Russia coupled with Ukraine being excluded from NATO and the EU. Kinda hard to blame a country from turning inwards in their droves after they're invaded by one neighbour and then not helped to a significant enough extent by their other neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

If we go back to the Ukrainian election in 2004, we have the main opposition candidate Yuschenko running against the Russian stooge Yanukovych (the one who was ousted in 2014). Yuschenko was being smeared as a Nazi in the media and was poisoned, nearly killing him. If Ukraine gets a chance to develop in a normal way, without their malignant neighbour poisoning politicians, they will eventually root out the corruption and nationalist elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Oh I most certainly don't gloss over it and have repeatedly stated the fact that Russia has enough neo nazis to be well stocked up. IIRC even the Azoz hard Right organisation was initially set up with a counterpart in Mother Russia. And we have the Kremlin's own bully boys and hit squad in the Wagner group, SS tattoos and all. As the great English philosopher once put it:

Russia most certainly shouldn't be. It's actually farcical that they ran with this spin in the first place. Especially to Russian people on home ground. If we were to gather up a group of say one hundred Russians, I'd bet the farm that at least half of them would express attitudes to gender roles, Gays and non White folks that would have many if not most Irish people "shocked and appalled" and choking on their skinny lattes. Note in putin's speech to his own about traitors from within how "they enjoy gender freedoms" as a negative picture of their non Russian decadence. His audience and well he knows them would lap that up. His anti LGBT rhetoric and legislation has widespread support in Russia. Western libralism is widely seen as decadent and deviant. Which begs the question; how Right wing would you have to be to a goodly chunk of the Russian people to be classed as a nazi?

And ditto for quite the percentage of Ukrainians. The Right wing there was certainly watered by Russia, but the seeds and shoots were already there growing on fertile soil. Hard right full on neo nazis have dropped by quite the margin since the Maidan revolution, but make no mistake mainstream politics in Ukraine is strongly centre Right, nationalist and very socially conservative.

but make no mistake mainstream politics in Ukraine is strongly centre Right, nationalist and very socially conservative.

Relevance? They have chosen the politicians they want to represent them, the are overwhelmingly moderates rather than extremists. What is the relevance of the them being right or left of centre to the invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A former friend and colleague of his who knew him for many years was interviewed on CNN a few nights back. Said he is stunned at the absolute nonsense Lavrov is coming out with - he is an intelligent man and probably doesn't even believe most of the Kremlin codology he is emitting. He's effectively just a Putin mouthpiece now and saying whatever his boss wants him to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The funny thing is that I reckon if it was going well for them they wouldn't be threatening everyone with every weapon they have.

As I said before, once they fire one of them they lose control of the situation. I think that's the reason they won't. They can get most of what they want with just the threat as horrible as that is.

Part and parcel of being a senior figure in a dictatorship I guess. Come out with endless nonsense and lies, even though you know yourself that what you are saying to the public is BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Allegedly Ukraine stocks running low now, as others have reported the Russians may be running low too. My feeling is, that once Mariupol is "cleansed" of "Nazi's" (with no doubt many captured and forced on camera to play to the Russian media back home how thankful they are to be saved before they are too dissapeared) , then the Russians may try a final push on Odessa or call it victory at Mariupol and Ukraine will have no choice to accept terms as they too are unable to make grounds either. I think we are one or two weeks now before the conclusion of this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I think that's the CNN guy I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For those who were claiming that the "Kremlin predicted all of this"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement