Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

Could be a hydrogen generator either, I'm not fussy. 😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Still didn't find any planning permission sought by ecars for a new hub. Anybody had more luck?

Planning is no longer required for sites that have up to 4 chargers serving up to 8 charging spaces.

Really ? that's progress, I suppose the real issue is suitable site locations and a lot of garages might not be keen to have ESB on site when they might be planning their own charger installations or thinking about it in the future but not yet keen to invest and still don't want the ESB on site which they might see as taking revenue from them in the future.

I think a lot of these garages should start replacing some petrol and diesel pumps for high power chargers, not going to happen I suppose considering they are making a lot of money in 3 or 4 mins it takes to fill a tank compared to having an ev sitting there for up to an hour.

I think the Government need to put "our" money where their mouths are and create laws that force garage owners to install high power chargers minimum of 4. Suppose now they're more focused on making car ownership more inconvenient in the hope it will make People give up cars altogether which has a greater chance of allowing us to meet the ridiculous emissions limits the Government signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a misconception, Mad_Lad. Most people who stop for petrol / diesel are on their way after the 3-4 minutes and don't buy much / anything in the shop. Despite the high pump prices, there is actually very little margin on fuel. Whereas most people who stop for electricity spend a lot more time there and they will also likely spend money on extremely high margin items like coffee. This is very lucrative for the garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wonder could the government introduce a mandate for on-line service stations to install (DC) EV chargers, and introduce a fine system for non compliance..

It would stop the likes of AppleGreen shunning eCars simply because Applegreen 'might' do something themselves in the future.....

Also, not sure how the deal works out with eCars for hosting a charger onsite, but even if it was a minimum 10 year agreement, surely garages would be mad not to get them onsite if for nothing more than the upgraded grid connection, with a view to kicking them offsite after the 10 year agreement expires to then install their own chargers, piggy backing on the grid connection that eCars paid for 10 years earlier.

Why aren't ESBN also tapping up the climate action fund to help pay for the grid connection upgrades that eCars desperately need? Bit of joined up thinking like that could mean 100% of funds given to eCars would pay for everything downstream of the HV connection as opposed to paying for the expensive grid connections, which it looks from the outside is where the vast amount of their money seems to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is also a misconception. Most garages have 4-8+ pumps, selling fuel at about 3cpl margin (so the head of Maxol said on newstalk when talking about the recent increases, their margin remained at that level). Even if no one buys anything in the shops the throughput is much more on the fossil pumps so you might easily sell 4,000+ liters an hour. That 4,000 liters gives you a margin of €120 per hour. Probably could have more in a larger services and less in a small local station but you get the idea. If you more rationally theorize that there are some in store purchases, these are often 80%+ margin (think coffee!) and that's what drives the real profits. 4,000 liters per hour over 8 pumps means you need 8-12 cars per pump per hour, and then you have 32-48 purchasers per hour that you only need to get a few to make instore purchases to bump up the margin. These purchasers are spread across multiple pumps with 3-4 mins dwell time - meaning there's no funnel to the demand as there's no queue.

How many EV "pumps" (at €50k-€150k+ each) do you need to reach 32-48 purchasers per hour? Additionally unless you install the "pumps" yourself and retail the electricity, you also lose the 3cpl margin off that too.

EV owners (and we're on our 4th) have the misconception that they would be preferred customers by garages when in reality the dwell time is too long. Even if you buy coffee etc.

You forget the either the electricity "pump" costs nothing (installed by Tesla, Ionity, EasyGo, ESB, etc.) and makes no revenue (or just a small share), or it costs a lot, but makes €10 in fuel margin anytime someone charges up (vs €1-2 in fuel margin for a petrol / diesel) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I know nothing about HVDC connections but I’m going to hazard a guess that the problem isn’t purely money, it’s resourcing. ESBN probably have a very small, highly trained and highly paid cohort of staff who work on these kinds of projects.

The projects are probably highly dependent on hardware elsewhere in the network, it’s not just a case of drawing power from the nearest HV line and plugging it all together. Extra switchgear may need to be fitted to a nearby substation, power lines to that substation may need to be upgraded, etc.

That said, the number of chargers that we need to install isn’t going to get any smaller so someone needs to figure out how to overcome these problems.

At the end of the day, if it were more profitable these businesses would already have changed or added the EV model.

Look in Norway , these self same charging stations like Circle K have not only installed their own branded stations and partnered with Ionity, but literally ripped out fossil pumps to put in EV chargers (even under canopy!).

I'm a risk analyst by trade and if I were working in the fossil fuel industry I'd be seriously pushing for diversification at the moment. Fuel is not going to be the direct and indirect cash cow it once was. Part of that diversification would be to EV but the existing model wont work. EVs will need to charge less than fossil need to refuel so a business case for change is needed. Fewer, but larger, services will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Funny you should say that. We were in Clare earlier last week and the charging situation there is pretty dire. We actually managed to use the DC in Wednesday night at Lahinch. We stayed in Ballyvaughan and Lahinch is the only public charging point anywhere "near", albeit 30 km each way from where we stayed. A hybrid was plugged into the AC there when we arrived and a second hybrid arrived while we were charging and they looked like they'd love to plugin too. As the DC is 50 kW that were all of the public charging points at the Clare WAW section in question in use for 80 minutes. Thu-Sun must have been pretty tough if you needed to charge.

On the way back home we stopped at Birdhill SuC where there were A) plenty of free chargers and B) didn't need to spend 80 minutes charging due to higher speeds. That felt great in comparison. If ESBN got their finger out and got the Athenry SuC connected it would have been a ESB free weekend for us. And in the future for all the CCS equipped cars when the SuC opens for non-Teslas.

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. It's human nature to be reluctant to change. There is also a lot of ignorance out there. Countries like Norway and the Netherlands are several years ahead of us in these terms. Over there EVs are the norm, not the exception. Ireland is still in the very early adopter stage. And nobody is denying it is risky to put money in a developing industry. Your investment could be too costly, before it becomes profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Presumably they still need planning permission for upgrading the grid connection. I imagine at the very least new transformers would be needed and possibly new cables would need to be brought from the high voltage line

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Perhaps the Govt needs to sit down with Easygo to support the latter in delivery on motorway network.

And also do the same with operators from outside Ireland like Gridserve or instavolt from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

The government can’t just pick some private companies and ‘support’ them, that could be a breach of EU State Aid regulations. What it can do (and should have done a long time ago) is issue a tender for private companies to install and/or operate a pre-determined network of EV charge points. The government can then award one or more companies the right to take part in that contract and pay some/all of the cost. This is how the government subsidises the internal flights between Donegal to Dublin and a bunch of other things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You talk like we have a responsible competent government (do disrespect to you)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm sure they can hire a consultant who can copy paste whatever the UK olev office did

EV owners hang around because we've no choice lol. But yea, the potential is far greater for People to stop in and buy stuff.

The other side of that though is if we have a lot more EV owners we'll need much bigger places for people to sit and eat and around 50-100 charging bays, think about that amount of energy needed per site ? when you think about it, we might even need more than 100 per site along a busy motorway if electrics have to stop for around 30 mins or even 50 mins by the time you/Family eat and your average car fills up in 3 or 4 mins, that's a huge difference and a huge amount of extra pressure on infrastructure.

I think garage owners do see the future and will resist installing chargers for as long as they can not wanting the ESB getting revenue that they should be getting as they might see it now.

If everyone changed over to EV in 10 years and if people are to stop in and have food while they charge that's going to be 30-50 mins maybe 1 hr, we'd need over 100 chargers per site possibly well over 100 not to mention all the extra amounts of People who will be inside.

Is the solution few massive "garages/plaza" or scrap garages for charging and build a few massive dedicated charging hubs to cater for many times more people on site ? because I don't think the sites we have now are designed to handle the massive amounts of People that would be on site for a much longer period of time.

As cars charge a lot faster this will be less of an issue but it's going to be a long time before we see 5-10 min charging times for the range people require on a long motorway trip at 120 Km/hr.

Like I said, the garage holder will either get free chargers in (and get just the extra high margin food and drink revenue) or they pay for the chargers and the ESB connection to the grid, but then they can make up to €0.70 per kWh on top of the commercial rate they will be paying their provider. Times an average of say 50kWh filled per car, do the maths, ka ching! Up to €35 gross profit per car before the people even have a cup of coffee!

Agree that the capacity of those charging plazas will have to be drastically increased. And massive PV installs on them and mega battery packs will help too. Like they have already been doing in other countries for years

Garage owners will be very clear winners in the electric transport revolution 😎

I don't think were going to need 100 bay sites, but rather more and more sites spread out along the motorway networks with multiple chargers at each site, to give people genuine choice in where they stop, and give everyone 2-3 decent options when their battery gets low.. then as EV numbers grow, the sites should be expanded to meet demand. I see this as being entirely handled by the private sector.

Ireland isn't big enough to warrant super hubs, and by the time we get to a point where EV's outnumber ICE's, the charging speeds will have increased enough that 15-20 minute charges will be sufficient (there already are in a lot of cars (Tesla's/Porche etc..) where you can even do this already).

Every motorway services should have banks of chargers, able to DC charge at least 10 cars (for now), so if you're heading up/down the country, you have multiple options as to where you get your little top up.. and if a site is busy, the next one is only 15-20km up/down the road.

But lets get realistic about our current situation. It's 2022 and eCars have 2 sites where more than 3 cars can DC charge simultaneously (Ionity have 5, Tesla have 5, soon to be 8), so it's going to happen, but just not by the hand of eCars.

I just can't wait for the serious players to move into Ireland when it starts looking like a viable business proposition to them, so eCars can get back to doing what they do best....

Every Little Helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know when I stop at Birdhill or Castlebellingham I always grab a coffee and if the kids are with me then it's at least 20 quid I'm out of pocket.

I like the idea that somebody had here with a digital sign on the motorway telling how many chargers are free at a service station. That's a great idea but probably about 20 years away!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That comes with the Tesla SuC so when it opens up you will be able to tell from the Tesla App (on the screen in the Tesla EV itself so easier)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

My little 'hack' is saving eCars as a favourite in the web browser of my Model 3, so I can bring up the map and see the chargers around me and see if they are available or not as I approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think I said it before but if Aldi or Lidl or someone installed 4 of those 200kW Delta units with 2 plugs each plus batteries and solar at all or most of their stores, they'd immediately get the most extensive charging network in Ireland, a great lure for customers, cheaper energy, immunity from power cuts and new revenue streams from charging or from selling power to the grid

Seems like a no brainet tbh

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The one slight worry id have with Lidl and Aldi is whether they would want usage of chargers linked long term to using the shop.

I don't mind paying extra for charging if not using the shop. As clearly offering cheaper charging if you buy stuff in store is an obvious incentive.

I more mean that they might want to make chargers for use by customers only by which they would mean buying stuff in their shop.

What we need is chargers that anyone can come and use regardless of using a particular shop.

To use an ICE example - you can pull into Maxol or Circle K and just literally buy fuel - ie buy nothing else.

However there is an undeniable opportunity there and indeed anywhere else there's good useful car parking.

I like the way that you can roll into the chargers at Blanchardstown and have no obligation to buy anything at shopping centre

It's not related to their business model though. They want people in store and to spend some time there, especially in the middle aisles. 25-50kW DC makes sense, especially as we move forward and these are not considered en route chargers. Spending an hour on a 25-50kW DC charger whilst doing your shopping could be the norm.

Integrating a high throughput station may actually harm their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

If I was in charge of lidl I would indeed replace all their AC chargers with DC ones with plans to grow or even preinstall double chargers before they are needed. However grid upgrade costs, may be impossible on their existing sites, at least to the amount needed. I expect in the future hubs will be located where the grid connection already exists with a suitable sub station and where a motorway is nearby. Based on that business model then lidl may be a diversion off the main road, and only by used by locals with no home charging option.

I see hotels on major routes having loads of parking, good good options if not fast food, and it may work as a viable business model.

Actual profitability right now may be a problem, where even relatively busy DC chargers still don't make a reasonable pay even period, due to initial layout costs and expected maintenance and life. Add a second unit and the second unit will be harder to justify etc. An 8 unit site is very hard to justify. Easygo should be able to do this, they seem to have funds but so far they seem to have rolled out very little, so I wonder if the sums today don't make sense. Probably government tenders are needed, open to all bidders, with key criteria such as fast rollout, uptime, pricing etc.

If I were in charge of lidl or aldi (or any other shopping chain) I'd put in banks of 25kW DC chargers. 80c per kWh, refunded in full on your till receipt.

25kW DC fast charge is a bit mean / low (my last car could AC slow charge at that speed LOL) but if at least 50kW and they would be generally available, I would likely be doing my weekly shopping there (provided the price and quality is already the best / cheapest). It can be linked to your loyalty card.

• Advertisement

So have one or two 50kW chargers too. I say banks of 2*25kW DC as they require no supply upgrade from 2*22kW AC, and even the hardware there's a big price difference between 25kW and 50kW DC units. You get the general gist of it though.

Multiples of low-medium powered DC chargers, free if you shop in the store, expensive if you dont. Main thing is though, have enough that you don't have to rush back to the car.

I do think in "the future" we'll go like some colder parts of the US and Canada, where there are very low power outlets at all parking spaces. They use them for block heaters. Even 2-4kW. But the ubiquitous nature means having to look for somewhere to charge is a thing of the past. As is having to move the car etc, that's fine for early adapters but you dont and cant expect good behavior to come from everyone.

Advertisement