Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Alot of companies pay dividends and still are proceeding with share buybacks with borrowed low interest rate corporate bonds and why would they not lock in low interest rates now knowing that inflation comming will financially repress their debt makes perfect sense to do it.

I really hope they actually try fight inflation (not the pussy footing 0.25% rate and Asset selling that knowbody knows when its commencing or at what rate) even if it causes a recession becauses if they don't this will get very very ugly long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The announcement of ending QE has already pushed rates higher which dampen inflation just look at the Irish 10 year bond.

It is a vicious circle then as people will be seeing the opportunity in the short term rental sector and putting their spare rooms (or 2nd homes) on Airbnb instead of renting them out to residents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Dublin jobs market is hopping because the cost of living in Dublin is so high & accommodation is so scarce, employers are desperate to attract staff.

Grand if you already have a house in dublin, but if you're yet to get "on the ladder" then its questionable if its worth your while at all.

Anecdotal but 5 people I know working & renting in Dublin with good salaries are set to emigrate by the end of the year (some of those have already gone). Whether things are actually better elsewhere I doubt it, but the fact of the matter is that quality of life in Dublin is perceived by those renting/working as stagnating and its worth going elsewhere now.

Canada/Aus are more expensive in places, but at least you get the novelty of the new and scenery/climate. Thats what they see anyways.

Thats what I would think - but to date no plans have been made public, yet the commitment to house 200k has been made public. It doesnt bode well for Irish house prices, that kind of demand surge will see prices rise for the next decade. Even if the situation in Ukraine normalises in the next 2 years, you wont have all 200k leaving immediately (or at all for some - as their homes and cities were flattened). That and the legacy impacts of diverting builders into building emergency accomodation for up to 200k people will all have lasting impacts on property market here.

• Advertisement

Yeah good point. My Wife and I are thinking of doing the same thing. Both have steady jobs here but are not willing to overpay for a house by up to €100k. People say you have too but that's almost 8 to 10 years extra on mortgage and if one wants to buy a bigger place in the future then you are goosed as the supply should greatly increase over the next few years. So the house you overpaid for now will not have the same appeal to buyers in a few years as there will be more options due to increased supply.

Needs to go alot higher though ERSI saying it will peak at 8.5%inflation and they are behind the curve and have been since June 2021, so I would suspect it could even hit 9-9.5%.

On another note, did anyone ever read the ERSI report into the rental equivalent method for calculating housing inflation that is then inputed into the CPI. I would suggest people to read it, I **** you not they actually use 2012 and 2013 data and this report was done in 2020.

One major flaw I see in this new model of calculating housing inflation is the way they weight the new rentals which are typically higher with the long term rents that are usually well below that. Basically they are weighted using pre pandemic proptions yet 90% of people I know (mostly Dublin) that were working from home during the pandemic gave up their cheaper long term rents that they were in especially house shares, to go back to their home place.

Now there are more people than ever entering new rent agreements as they have got sick of living with their parents (and want to get back to dublin for social aspect) and/or returning to offices hence making their proportion affect no atall correct.

I actually tried contact on of the research authors on this to get his views but got knowledge.

*Nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

yeah good point on emigration. i do wonder how property market in oz will react to rates rising, possible it ends up not being a destination for those leaving ireland i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Last weekend, for the first time in over 2 years, we went to the cafe we used to frequent for breakfast every Saturday morning.

We expected an increase in the price, maybe 5 - 10% max, but my god, 50% increase. Well we wont be going there again. And a cup of tea was €3.50. Jesus.

And there was us just deciding to get back into normal life and start going out for breakfast every Saturday morning again. It will be lidl sausages and rashers at home from now on I think.

And I bet the guy will not have a clue why he has less customers than he did before. He will just put it all down to people not being willing to go to Cafes, instead of looking at his pricing. There is a price point where everyone just says - I'll do without it.

• Advertisement

I’m the same. I would be considered a high earner but even I am not prepared to pay these prices. I know I’ll get criticised for not supporting business who have no option but to charge these prices. But I agree with you that £3 for a cup of tea, €6+ for a pint of Guinness in some places now, a tenner for eggs on toast…..it’s just not going to work. Going out will become a special occasion now, like pre Celtic tiger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Why not just go every second weekend?..

I would be a high earner too, but there is just something obscene about paying those prices being asked. Im just not going to help them get away with it. Thats what fuels inflation. I know the value of a breakfast and a cup of tea and im not paying anyone anymore than its worth - ever.

Had a similar experience a few weeks back…brought the kids out for breakfast like we used to and was shocked at the prices. I worked it out that prices rose by 55% compared to pre covid. Yes we have food inflation but I can’t see how they can stand over these price increases. Won’t be going back and I reckon I won’t be the only one.

Another one that happened to us recently was getting fleeced in the cinema. I went on to Amazon while in the cinema and ordered a projector. Its all set up now with movie night every Friday night. We wont be going to the cinema again :)

Why would you when they are just taking the total piss with their prices. All they have done is shoot themselves in the foot.

for example the local pub is charging 12 euro for pancakes and Nutella for kids when it used to be 7.50 euro. The cost of eggs flour and milk haven’t even gone up 5% in 2 years not to mention 62%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is a bit of an echo chamber. Pubs, restaurants and cafes are absolutely hopping at the moment. The prices are high but clearly there are more than enough people willing to pay.

post Covid and st Patrick’s weekend. We’ll see what happens now. I’m very sceptical that people will pay these prices once we feel back to normal

Not to mention the fuel costs and interest rate hikes coming….Disposable income will fall and people will cut back on discretionary spending in restaurants, pubs and cafes.

Everybody should go live and work in a different country for a few years. Very beneficial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

House prices are clearly falling - at this stage they are rising in nominal value at well below real world inflation levels.

There's an opportunity here for first time buyers who take this chance to negotiate wage hikes and buy, before everything normalises again.

Unfortunately wage hikes maybe temporary, depending on what sector one is in. Could well be hit with cuts in the near future in certain sectors, will be irrelevant then when one has a 25 or 30 year mortgage.

Earnings are only just starting to rise in response to inflation - in some sectors not at all yet.

When that happens, expect house prices to surpass inflation again also - because its a supply shortage problem.

Yes, this is my point. People will just stop socializing, eating out etc very soon as the prices are just ridiculous. Avo and taost 12 euro, come on enough of that BS please. If people stop spending doesn't that lead to a recession of some sort down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

central banks are currently stuck in the low rates environment, theres simply too much debt out there now, particularly private debt, which is the far more dangerous debt, raising rates too soon too fast by too much, would probably induce recessions. wide scale debt forgiveness would probably be a far safer approach, even though problematic, but only corporations would probably be given this privilege, leaving the average punter in the crappier, debt forgiveness should also be available to the household....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

If you are a homeowner in the middle/average income range, are you really squeezed?

Your interest rates are at record lows and fixable for the duration of the mortgage so your housing costs are locked and 100% protected from inflation

If you do feel squeezed, could the responsibility lie with high property prices and rents that you have to subsidise through taxes and higher prices when you go out shopping. Pay for student accomodation, childcare etc.

Is there really a benefit in higher house prices for homeowners. I would strongly argue the opposite and its those home owners pay the costs plus their children get hammered.

Reverse evolution

Think of the increasing squeezed middle in the rental sector. A homeowner complaining about squeezed middle is bit like posters complaining to Poland that they have to take 200k refugees when they have already processed 2,000,000 plus with open arms, soup, sandwiches and ultimately 100% respect.

I get your point, but companies are going to be badly affected by inflation also. People seem to think companies can up employees wages at the drop of a hat. Employers will be badly affected by energy costs, fuel etc. Its right across the board. Not every employer can offer big wage increases as it may make the company non profitable in the very near future. Something has to give I feel. Are companies doing so much better than pre pandemic that they can up all employees wages, I very much doubt that. And if they can then I guess everyone was paid poorly before the pandemic. How can companies pay bigger overheads in the space of a number of months and still continue to operate as normal. I feel many companies may trim their workforce etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I've never assumed Sinn Fein would improve things, and like I said - I wouldn't personally vote for them (At this point point anyway), and I firmly believe things are about to get much worse either way.

I think Fianna Fail will come through the next election, simply because of their short term in office this time round. Fine Gael on the other hand I do believe will be annihilated - they have had so long to sort this mess, and have achieved absolutely nothing, other than make the situation considerably worse. They were, after all, promising to be the party for "people who get up early in the morning" - yet conditions have gotten no better for that cohort.

I think it would be naive to think there won't be a massive change in how we do housing in this country in the next couple of years (regardless of what party is elected) - it's pretty much next to impossible for the current trend to continue beyond the short term without the economy falling apart.

People will begin to get very nervous shortly when we bypass the Celtic tiger peak in the next couple of months, it didn't end well last time and it won't end well this time.

I don't believe our average wage is significantly higher than it was in 2006 / 2007 (open to correction on that), and we were told how unsustainable prices were then. We are shortly going to be at the same of point of wages vs house prices.

I honestly don't see any party at the moment with a decent plan for sorting this mess unfortunately.

People are still spending it’s just that spending patterns will change…less discretionary and more on essentials.

you may have a recession in the services sector such as pubs/restaurants while growth in other sectors.

There is big wage inflation in certain areas where companies are paying 10+% to attract staff….which will put upward pressure on houses prices as people will be able to borrow more under LTI rules.

it’s all a bit crazy to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, you are really squeezed.

The squeezed middle are the people who are hit with the full tax burden, but earn too much to get any hard benefit from it from the government, but also don't earn enough to get creative with their accounting to reduce tax hit.

It has nothing to do with owning a home or not. It has long pre-dated any housing price spike.

Advertisement