Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antonov 225 reportedly Destroyed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

New footage from Gostomel airport released today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

There's more here. Safe to say that Mriya is no more.

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1499640900020051969

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I believe it’s here somewhere

ANTONOV Company

+380 44 454 3233

https://goo.gl/maps/YddJ1prjjEkZMbzJ6

• Advertisement

Yes, that's Sviatoshyna, she is inside one of the large hangers.

If you look at Google maps towards the sheds at the North of the site you will see the shell of an un-finished AN-124, the second AN-225 is in the shed beside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Post edited by Nibs05 on

That's the shell of CCCP-680210, long term stored AN-124 shell (since 1982), the second AN-225 is inside the shed next to it.

If true it could put the Antonov plant near Sviatoshyna at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so a spiteful jealous Putin had the world's plane vandalised on purpose?

• Advertisement

Fitting call sign for the last flight of Mriya (or rather her transponder) earlier today!

Likely salvaged or another transponder modified, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Possibly. As much of a marvel of Soviet engineering it was its an even bigger symbol of Ukrainian achievement. The fact that there was only one really sticks the knife in as well.

They should really ask Putin does this mean the Russian Shuttle is definitely off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

As far as the Russian authorities were concerned, it ended up on the wrong side of the border when Ukraine achieved independence. I think they resented the fact that the dedicated Ukrainian flight and maintenance team kept it going and made a viable business out of it.. the fact that it flew in Ukrainian national colours and was revered in aviation circles all over the world, must also have been an annoyance.

I know there are far more important human tragedies to be concerned about in this war, but the world has certainly lost a unique aero-engineering achievement.

As I feared earlier Russia has attacked the Antonov Plant in Sviatoshyna, reports of massive damage to the plant:-

The second AN225 shell is inside the larger (middle) building here at the plant:-

The Ukrainian airplane and defence industry has always been a thorn in Russia's side since the break up of the USSR, Antonov rose well above the remaining prominent Russian based former USSR aircraft companies Tupolev, Ilyushin, and Yakovlev for example.

Initially they just could not compete with Antonov and is the very reason why the UAC was created. Russia merged ALL their design bureaus and plants in order to take on Antonov, and that seems to have worked with the Sukhoi Superjet 100 bringing the UAC well above Antonov.

Myria was considered the greatest soviet aviation success story, or indeed the greatest air freighter story in the world (not that that was her original purpose) and Russia are p****d that it is considered a Ukrainian success story rather than a Russian one. Myria was the star of the recent Ukrainian independence celebrations.

Perhaps the biggest annoyance to Russia is that Antonov was actually a Russian company (and not Ukrainian) having been founded in Novosibirsk in 1946 as the Research and Design Bureau No. 153, it moved it's HQ to the Ukraine in the 50s and when the USSR broke up severed it's ties to Russia, ever wonder why Antonov Airlines has not flown into Russia itself for many years?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I dont think its in a hangar. i saw a documentary lately and it seems the second AN225 shell was outside the airport grounds in a warehouse off the airfield but of course within the vicinity.

• Advertisement

If it has been moved off site then it was recent as it was still in the large middle hanger shown several posts up as recent as 2020.

I would be surprised if it was moved off site considering it has been on site for over 30 years and moving it outside the premise would be no easy task.

Seems like there's a pissing match going on between Antonov and it's chief pilot Dymtro Antonov.

Dear public!

In this difficult time, when our country is trying to divide the merciless tanker, when our colleagues, relatives, acquaintances lose their homes, friends, relatives, and employees of the DP "ANTONOV" defend the Motherland in the banks of the Armed Forces, when in our eyes a grresor destroys everything that has been put into our team's lifetime effort, we we have no moral right for any treacherous actions that could cause the situation surrounding our home enterprise to worsen.

As a result of hostile actions of Russia, the airport complex in Gostomel was destroyed, the An-26, An-74 aircraft and the flagship of the An-225 "Dream". Now each of us is asking ourselves: what can I do for my home business?

On the eve of the war, employees of ATP DP "ANTONOV" worked in aural mode and already on the evening of February 23 the sixth engine on An-225 was installed so that on the 24th morning "Dream" could fly to the m. Leipzig. The fifth plane An-124 took off from the Gostomel Airport on February 23 at 23.51.

But the morning of February 24 brought its terrible corrections. And although all the staff involved in the flight went to work in the morning, the air space was closed, Antonov Air Force employees were hit by airstrike, some were killed, some were injured, and all the possibilities of the flight were full I'm blocked by the truth.

And now it turns out that Dmitry Antonov - the one who has been sitting at home all this busy time, not a word or a matter of a finger by not hitting the firm's survival case, drives out on a white horse in people and with a face of anger tells that the enemies are around, "vs" ьo gone " and he alone knows everything for The Truth and the Wrong.

We go back to the first question: "What did YOU do to prevent this situation?" Although, as the first deputy of the airline in flight service, in fact the second person in management, could have made the most effort and, if considered the extreme level of danger, arrange an An-225 flight at least a day earlier. But let Dmitry Antonov answer this question to himself and people. Where was he and what did he do in these critical days of February up to a few weeks before and why refused to leave a job after the war started?

And now, with a look at what happened, pretend to be a shining knight over the entire team, praise the people who developed, built, tested, and then, after the collapse of the 90s, restored this magnificent plane and put it on the wing, show the floor Zri in "inadequate patriotism" from his home sofa, disgusting and doesn't fit the boss, which thanks to the daily labor of thousands of Antoniv residents, decided to show himself in the internet space as the only one who rejoices for our share, not personal Dream. And continues to boast at the expense of the whole team.

Dmytro Antonov provides false information about the fact that the management of DP "ANTONOV" is in Leipzig. Since February 24, the CEO of DP "ANTONOV" - Bychkov Sergey and his deputies have been in workplaces and work 24/7, not leaving the territory of the company.

We, the employees of the "ANTONOV" company appeal to the people of Ukraine, to all the airmen of the world, who care about the fate of our country, its technical potential and people's achievements, please, in the background of our present national-freedom war, be watchful. Unfortunately, not all people in this difficult situation can stand the pressure of war around and support themselves and others. But we know that it will pass, dust will blow the wind of history and we will together restore the strength of the ANTONOV firm against the plans of the alien.

Summer warehouse and staff of ATP DP "ANTONOV".

Indeed, I mentioned it in the Ukraine/Russia thread:-

He blamed Antonov management for the loss of Myria, he has been sacked apparently, following the video, not that he could be doing any flying from Kyiv anytime soon.

So if I'm understanding that right as the translation is a little broken.

The 225 could of being flown out on the night of the 23rd but Dmytro didn't want to ? So there blaming him but he's blaming them 🤨

Some folk on the Mryia FB group are saying it could have left with even only 4 engines in use under a light load.

It seems they only lost 3 aircraft and all their 124s are safe. Be interesting to see if they'll recover from this in the long term.

*Edit*

Reading more into it Dmytro argument is why did Antonvo ignore Nato's warning to move all off the airlines aircraft, parts and personnel to Leipzig in the weeks prior.

Quite shocked to see a spat like this in the middle of everything going on.

The status of their AN124s at Gostomel and Sviatoshyna is unknown, also their AN22 status is unknown, it was awaiting repairs, the latest satellite pictures I have seen appear to show the AN22 to be intact, but it appears another plane has collided with it so there may be damage to it.

The question is how much longer the out based planes can keep operating from Leipzig before parts are required from Sviatoshyna?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Terrible to see the Antonov 225 (almost) destroyed.

How much would a replacement cost?

An A380 retails at $400-450m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The A380 had a production line. They only ever built one and a half AN225s.

Mriya was only ever a niche aircraft. To that end, I can't imagine that it'd be worth spending what you'd need to spend to get the second one finished and airworthy.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

It struggled to be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It struggled to get off the ground :) .... but what a machine it was.

• Advertisement

The Antonov company are opening an international appeal for donations to complete the unfinished AN225.

Advertisement