Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what shop? and what kind of fragile elderly person would put themselves through trying to find parking on the madness that is main street in Fairview? the lies they come out with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is the plan still to divert all the traffic (Coast, Howth and Malahide Roads) along Fairview Strand? Is that what happens on the 26th? Very little information being given to locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The traffic management is all outlined in the Irishcycles article, sounds like there’ll be no diversions necessary. This is for section 6 (Marino mart down to edge and sons):

Section 6 – Fairview Strand to Malahide Road

Similar to Section 2, between March and June 2022 works will be carried out on the inbound lanes. Four lanes of traffic will be maintained during the first traffic management set up, two inbound and two outbound, maintaining a dedicated bus lane, a traffic lane and a cycle lane in either direction. The Contractor will move to the middle lanes between July and September, and move to the outbound lanes during October to December.

and then for the section further back:

Section 7 – Malahide Road to Alife Byrne Road

For the next six weeks the Contractor intends to work on the junction of Alfie Byrne and Clontarf Road, affecting traffic on the inbound lane, and on Alfie Byrne Road. Further traffic management proposals are to be submitted over the next few weeks for May onwards. Similar to Section 2 and 6, the Contractor intends to carry out the majority of works in this section during 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Do you mean divert it along Ballybough, when you say Fairview Strand?

Traffic from Howth, Coast, Malahide roads will still use Fairview Strand as usual, but the lanes will be reduced to a single car and bus lane in each direction.

It's from the Jewellers Shop that's just before Edge's Hardware on that stretch of shops. I'd say he's worried about the effect the construction period is going to have on his business. But he's claiming the new cycle path is destroying the whole area, by removing some trees and parking spots.

People are just shortsighted and locked into a motoring mentality. They don't care about anyone but themselves really.

There was a post about the illegal parking along Fairview recently on the Clontarf Facebook page, and while it had nothing to do with cyclists it was just bursting with the usual cyclists don't pay road tax/run red lights/don't wear helmets comments. Nobody seemed to have an issue with cars parking on the footpath or cycle path.

I just have to sit back and watch. Too many crazies in Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sure, to a point, but that presumes one is using the cycle path in its entirety. There are plenty of destinations and other roads along the way that one may want to get to. If you are cycling to Ballybough then an off-road cycle lane is pretty useless and you'll have to use the road and then face even more opprobrium from drivers demanding to know why you aren't in the perfectly good cycle lane.

I used to cycle along the road in fairview at 6am, in pitch dark autumn mornings. The cycle path was just too dangerous as it was covered in leaves and unlit. Almost every morning you'd get someone blasting their horn at you. And that's when there wasn't even much traffic.

From this morning. While I do feel bad for businesses that are affected, I don't see why the rest of the public or the area should suffer as a result.

so the infrastructure of an entire city should never change because of one business. This is the kind of thing that has us with no metro and terrible public transport in Dublin, never mind bike lanes. Pretty sure it's the busiest cycle route in Ireland too.

On a different local facebook group, the metro was brought up in relation to this project. 😂

I hope it's just a vocal minority that are doing the complaining. It's funny though, when you read the amount of people saying this must be stopped, but it's actually happening right now, after 20 years of planning and consultation. Not a hope of it being stopped.

People are also shouting about the cost, but no mention of the water main replacement that's included, or that the new streetscape and planting is a massive part of the uplift in costs. It's all the just cyclists fault.

• Advertisement

relish it, these are the kind of people who enjoy when cyclists are killed because they saw one break a red light before, I've seen them make comments like that on the journal loads of times

I do have an element of sympathy for the likes of Duggans and even Edges, but there’s also a heap of pay and display parking right around the corner on Addison road so it’s not as if there’s no way someone in a car could get to his shop.

The likes of Damien Farrell didn’t help things at all by proclaiming that it’d be the worst traffic diversion measures in the history of the country, and would ruin the area for two years, without actually checking to see what the measures would be

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

People are also shouting about the cost, but no mention of the water main replacement that's included, or that the new streetscape and planting is a massive part of the uplift in costs. It's all the just cyclists fault.

To be fair to the whingers, it was originally misrepresented by the media and residents groups as just that - a very expensive cycle lane. e.g.

Read the commments to this IT post on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/irishtimes/posts/10156275261491158?comment_id=10156275509251158 - you'd be forgiven for questioning the level of intelligence amongst some of the posters...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Well that’s taking the “put it underground” thing to a whole new level!

DCC have finally published the official details about traffic management on their site as well with diagrams etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would be nice if they also banned cars from the woodenbridge, absolute carnage on a sunny day, a lovely amenity completely ruined by cars.

I can’t see them doing it in the near future since they missed the golden opportunity to do it last summer when there was the massive tailbacks of up to 2 hours for people trying to drive across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Agree on this one. Insane watching them all squeeze thru and then get stuck in the sand at the end.

The golf buggy set can walk😅 good exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It ends up cars facing eachother playing chicken and tailbacks and nowhere for people to safely walk, despite there being a perfectly suitable concrete bridge further down that was actually designed for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well, they can use the pedestrian crossing that is right there beside his shop. He's lost the battle now anyway, he will have to move on (although I don't think the first phase of works will impinge on his 'freedom', he'll have to wait for phase II.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is also quite possible he's just completely wrong. Businesses are absolutely terrible at estimating how important parking is to their business.

I wonder if maybe his business isn't doing well, and this might just be the final nail in the coffin.

Another vocal business owner is an insurance salesman. Who goes to a physical shop to buy insurance these days anyway.

I'm just worried about an increase in danger to cyclists while the works are going on. Drivers are already very aggressive along that stretch as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I cannot believe the state of the shared space path / cycleway along strand rd / station rd in Baldoyle. Sharing the space for that distance is dangerous and will also bring pedestrians and cyclists into conflict. In adddition they are adding 'landscaping' to add further obstacles and places for Ped's to walk out from behind. Don't see how this is different from just cycling on the path thats there which is rightly illegal. I'll be staying on the road. Also the integration with the existing cycleway at red arches doesn't seem well thought out as you a plopped out onto red arches road and you have to join the coast road to join the existing cycleway 50yds later - would they not just straight line it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Some of the junctions look poor alright. That stretch through Baldoyle as you say plus some of the random on-road sections such as through Portmarnock village. I might try to view the drawings in person rather than online as they're really not loading consistently for me at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Can't really understand the thinking behind the Strand Road section. They are widening the existing path to 6 or even 7 metres but still are proposing a shared space. Elsewhere, there are some good sections but the proposals at some of the pinch points are disappointing and potentially dangerous. The most worrying detail is the timeline - 2027 for completion and that's before allowing for slippage that seems to be an essential element of cycle infrastructure projects. Have booked in for one of the webinars to see where the main opposition will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't believe someone actually thought it might work, it's 10 times safer leaving it as it is, who in their right mind thought adding flower beds and trees randomly at different sides would help. I think the ideal solution is to demolish the wall in the centre and have the entire width from the end of the houses to the edge of the prom as a shared route with footpath, cycle lane and cars having own route either side.

For anyone who hasn't seen the proposed artists impression...

That looks like an incredibly stressful place to walk or cycle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be curious to know whether there was input in that design from people who regularly cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I dunno. It looks sort of like the seafront esplanade/cycle/walk shared spaces you get around places like Alicante in Spain. There's benches, big flowerpots, trees, people walking, cycling, kids on scooters, skateboarders, people walking dogs.

I've cycled along those sorts of paths with my family, and it's really pleasant and stress free

Advertisement