Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think how it could go would be if your brother got a Garda caution at some stage you'd be fine.

However it there was more than two criminal convictions you'd be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Maybe. But the difference between the travelling community and settled folk is that you don't have to dig very far to unearth the skeletons for travellers. Actually, in most cases, they are in plain sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

gotta say I do feel sorry for the young lad who wanted to be a garda

Whatever people say about travellers needing to make an effort on their end, its not exactly easy for the ones that do

How much more could he do there and was hamstrung by his situation, anyone would be bitter. Hopefully it would be reviewed.

Obviously the carrot and the stick approach needs to be targeted by the state not just here to help those who want to be helped

To be fair, Traveller's are not alone in having to pass rigourous background checks. I seem to recall a member of a notorious gangland family (not directly related) with absolutely no criminal record or indeed connection to any criminality had actually succeeded in getting a place in garda training, only to loose that place because of the family connection (I may not have the circumstances correct) but the ultimate point being rigourous background checks are not in place to discriminate against travellers, like Pavy point would have people believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

He didn't say they were either to be fair

its just an example of the kinds of issues people who are in these situations face, whether it be poverty, **** parents, **** siblings, etc

your own initiative can only take you so far, and listening to him, he had plenty of it

despite what people who have no adversity think, which is the majority

and nothing should be a blanket ban, individual circumstances and history should play a part and I doubt it did here, ive a feeling an Garda aren't exactly progressive

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Like becoming a nun or priest in the old days, had to be from a ‘respectable’ family. Suppose it makes sense for potential gardai. Sad, however, how many people judge people on the same basis today. And I don’t mean just for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Stripeyman

You're on the money here. It was presented the other night as if discrimination is the main reason there are no travellers in An Garda Siochana. They are subjected to the same vetting process as every other applicant. The young man on the CB show said that he has no criminal record but failed to mention anything about his family, nor was he asked about them. Perhaps his frustration should be redirected towards some of them, if it's the case that their actions have proven to be his obstacle.

I would also suggest that their under representation in AGS may be due to a lack of educational qualification. There is a minimum Leaving Cert requirement for entry. What percentage of the traveller population have completed the LC, let alone achieved the desired grades? I don't know the answer but I'd guess its quite low. And of those who meet the above criteria, how many have then applied to join AGS? Again I'd suggest it's most likely a small number.

I didn't intend to be critical of the post, my intention was to put the situation into perspective. "Everyone", not just the chosen few goes through rigorous background checks.

I'm sure there's other examples other than the one I used but various people had been accepted & later dismissed because of something related to a connection or conflict of interest and I'd say more were never accepted for the same reasons, none of which had anything to do with ethnicity and of course Claire and other RTE hacks wouldn't mention this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Happens with job offers all the time subject to reference checks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Claire Byrne and Mick Clifford both mentioned that the same checks apply to both travellers and settled people and Claire also pointed out there was no proof of discrimination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Look this is going to be an unpopular opinion but what do you want individual Travellers to do? The program was showing a bunch of Travellers who by all accounts should be held up as role models within the travelling community, these are the ones that need to be given the exposure so younger Travellers see there is an alternative to criminality and that they can retain their traveller identity but also contribute to society. Telling all Travellers that they are scum repeatedly is not going to lead to a positive, long term outcome

Like if there were a group of people from ballymun on you wouldn't get offended because ballymun had a high rate of criminality. Substitute ballymun for any other area or ethnic group and its the same principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know two local detectives here whose sons are cokeheads and sellers neither have seen the inside of a cell, case of who you are and who you know

It's hard for the ones who want to work and better themselves with no chances or opportunities given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The poll that went with the show

I think they only asked travellers to get these results.

There is an alternative to "criminality"

has four letters, begins with 'D' , and rhymes with bowl...

200 sovs (min) a week for doing nowt, rent for 'free house' = €20/wk, which a lot of the savages would #likely (#hazarding a wild guess here) be exempt from,, ancillary benefits eg FF Allowance, household benefits package, medical card; and more, that us Joe/Josephine Soaps would likely be unaware of (if said 'extras' / 'benefits' are strictly for certain 'ethnicities' , and not widely known about )...

factor it all in, and a workshy family of six may well be in receipt of ~ €30,000 , or more , per year,,,

€30,000 and free lodgings is about, (another guess) for said family of six, the equivalent of a non social welfare family of six receiving (thru employment & Children's Allowance) €50,000 a year net,,, as the latter family would have to pay for mortgage/childcare etc,,

Not sure what their beef is,, better off they are on account of all the free money they're getting, than most working folk,, Whatever 'problems' they (The Pavees) have are almost exclusively all of their own making,,

When they've run out of people to 'blame' for their 'plight' (on the rare occasion a presenter 'pins one of them down' , so to speak, on the topic grievance at hand) the 'blame' (by whatever 'representative' / 'spokesperson' is on whatever show) is often levelled at the 'culture' 'within the community' , which flipflops between existing, and not existing, depending on the mood du effing jour,,,

"Would you have their life?" = another dumb question asked round these here parts, when these topics crop up,,, thankfully these last few pages have been 'woke free'

WTF does that even mean?? Would a poster have their (the ethnic) life? Is there some sort of ruddy obligation placed upon them by the Govt (in order to receive all the 'free sh!t' ) to make shoy8 of their surroundings, intimidate all and sundry, litter, and on, and on, and on,,, ?

Maybe there is ☹️ it's a massive mystery to this poster though 😟

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE wanting new restrictions badly.

M

If Ricky Gervais would have made the joke there would be a much bigger reaction.

If Ricky slapped Chris Rock .......

• Advertisement

And are now very disappointed by what that reporter had to say. You could nearly see the steam coming out of Claire's ears

This one is bloody painful. And I'm not talking about Claire.

Ardle is the only one I know and I have no idea how he got roped into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

If Dublin airport can't get staff to work at 1pm how the hell are they going to get staff to work at 1am.

This guy, who is he or where did he work before ? He's very familiar. AA maybe or RSA?

M

The airlines should be refunded passenger fees when the Q goes above 1 hour.

M

Fionn Davenport, he's a travel journalist, was regularly on Newstalk shows.

He reminds me of Paul Reid (HSE) but with a beard, that's why he seemed familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Not the airlines fault. DAA is a shambles. Management fired a lot of staff during Covid when the airport was closed and then they were utterly shocked when travel started again and people arrived at the airport looking to take flights. Really bad leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah it seems like a bizarre solution. They dont have enough lines open to process the numbers going through at peak times so opening the airport 24/7 is basically saying you need to show up 4 or 5 hours before your flight just to be sure of getting through.

Advertisement