Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,600 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He already looks like an elf and fights with a sword (in a world of lasers) so giving him a clearly elf name was a bit annoying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know what’s wrong with the series: no one has modified a tricorder to do anything. I’m fact i can’t recall seeing a tricorder at all.

They can be modified to do anything from sub space communicates to acting as a homing beacon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Also a serious lack of deflector modification or level II diagnostics

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How do they know there’s been a disturbance to the time line without modifying the deflector array to probe it with a tachyon beam? Ridiculous

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Too many pages to read them all. I wasn't gone on series 1. The story was too convulted. Picard suddenly likes kids? Picard is grief stricken over Data. But not over previous crew losses?? Also Patrick Stewart is just too old for this ****. He is 80.

I would have preferred a completely new crew to push Star trek forward not this last of the summer wine

However its only ep 2 and so far it is better than season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gotta say, I'm not mad about the show being set in LA ... mostly cos I think it's one of the ugliest cities in the Western World. Flat & sprawling, blanketed with smog, blasted by sun and its streets always look about one week away from the apocalypse. And having been watching Bosch I feel like I've had my fill of that city.

I'm sure it's entirely 'cos that's where the production took place but it's a pity it all couldn't have taken place somewhere else - anywhere but LA.

I think most Trek shoots in Canada.

But Americans seem to hate having the apocalypse anywhere except the US. Unless of course there is a Big Ben or Eiffel tower to blow up.

Even when you do see a US city it's often Canada. I remember seeing loads of recognizable parts of "Boston" and "New York" in Vancouver and Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Discovery and, I think/assume, Strange New Worlds shoot in Canada.

Picard shoots in LA because PStew lives there.

It’s ludicrously expensive to shoot films in Boston and New York for various historical reasons both cities managed to more or less price themselves out of the movie business year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Prime example, Hawkeye was shot mainly in Atlanta, subbing for New York. Van Couver is a big television hub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's funny cos it's not like LA hasn't often stood in for other cities, however unconvincingly it often has been. There are loads of readymade lots for "typical New York Street" they could have used. Mind you, I'd probably be complaining then about the shoddy version of wherever instead 😎 either way just sick of that smoggy, ugly metropolis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Apparently Lea Thompson is directing next episode. Hah!

She done the last one too. Ironically the time travel one

No, Hawkeye is on Disney. Picard is a Prime example.

😜 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Didn't realise it is Paramount I get my streaming services right Now. You must feel as proud as a Peacock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye I think they should have set it in Dublin lol. Sure they could have crashed the ship in the Phoenix park who would have noticed and then Raffi and Seven could have went up Capital Dock Tower which is the tallest building in Dublin lol to look for the watcher who is probably in Dublin Castle lol.

That would have been so cool. Well we can dream

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

God that's a very uninspiring tallest building.

Also what a symbol of our times.

The building was developed in a joint venture with the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA) on the site of the proposed U2 Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm not as hard on episode 2 and 3 as Mike and Rich are but that segment around when the definition of allegory pops up on screen is pretty spot on. Spoilers obviously

Just that picture alone puts me off anything these guys have to say.

I'm probably just old but I don't get all the gimmicks that YouTube reviewers seem to need

I think the image is just making fun of those gimmicky YouTube reviewers you mention. The video is just two guys sitting in chairs, talking to each other.

Haven't watched this one yet but RedLetterMedia are usually pretty decent, like grabbing a couple beers and chatting shite about movies with friends. Mike and Rich are just big TNG-era Trek fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

RLM are about as gimmickless as you can get unless, like Wiiliam Shatner, you saw their Nerd Crew parody and thought it was genuine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I understand why people who, like me, are very wary about various youtube content would assume the worst about them but RLM are the only youtube folk I watch religiously. I often watch things I never would have just so I can watch their review of it. Their Best of the Worst series is one of the best things on youtube.

RLM's thumbnails are often intentionally, sarcastically referring to the kind of clickbait noise you'd normally get - so if you didn't know their style I could easily understand why someone might be turned off.

Their recent video on Bruce Willis' avalanche of detritus was particularly fascinating. IIRC Mike also got into an online fight with William Shatner once, the latter taking some of their skits seriously.

As to their thoughts on Picard... they're not wrong. Many of the flaws I'd agree with - but are just those I'm looking past. I Don't think there's anything wrong with Q having his levity written out a tad; even by TNG's standards he was often incredibly goofy. Now that it's highlighted though, yeah. I'd 100% agree about the poverty of character writing on display, especially the contrived attempts to make the main cast a "family"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I tend to enjoy RLM's banter generally, and I'll even sometimes put them on to listen to them chat about stuff I've not watched.

I find them to be probably among the more balanced detractors of modern Trek. Unlike Doomcock, Midnight's Edge and their co-hort there is a shot of RLM saying positive stuff instead of nit-picking the thing to pieces due to some perceived "woke" angle on the show. I haven't watched the new video yet but their Episode 1 review concluded that they "didn't hate it" and were weary of the fact that the Season 1 production staff appear to be unchanged for Season 2. The resonates with my own fear of Kurtzman somehow finding a way to undo a lot of the good will that has been built up so far in these first 3 episodes.

Also, mentioned RLM, I can't help but share this animated excerpt from one of their TNG reviews :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I suppose it's like the "Pitch Meetings" I HATE the thumbnail he uses and it put me off for a long time but they are actually quite funny (Start with Season 8 of Game of Thrones or Pacific Rim if you have seen them)

Oh my goodness yes. YouTube's algorithm kept recommending me those videos and I was all like "would you fúck off with those shítty looking videos". Those thumbnails are the absolute worst thing, yet the actual sketches are gold. Fantastic comedy videos - but you'd never know by the thumbnail.

It’s super easy to enjoy those videos, barely an inconvenience:P

I tried watching just now and was utterly bored of that drole guys sarky moaning after 3 minutes. He is essentially one of those "nobody is watching this show" bores that pop up on every Trek forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement