Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

In what way is not allowing biological men compete against women discrimination?? That is an utterly ludicrous argument.

No sport bans transgender athletes, they merely only allow them compete in the category of their biological sex. It's like saying that a homosexual man is banned from competing in a female race and trying to make a fuss out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s perfectly reasonable to posit lots of things, using science to address these hypotheses is precisely what it’s used for, but when there is insufficient evidence to support a hypothesis, claiming that there is evidence that not only supports the hypothesis, but that the evidence is so overwhelming that it swamps everything else, is taking liberties in order to support policies which it was already argued were necessary to maintain fairness in women’s sports. Same arguments are still being made based upon ethnicity too, but those kinds of advantages among athletes are overlooked, whereas the idea of portraying transgender athletes as a threat to women is a much easier bogeyman to sell to the public.

I don’t know that it’s true most trans people are on hormones these days either tbh as the waiting lists for just for diagnosis through the NHS run into thousands, just in the UK alone, and those are only the people who are willing to be diagnosed (some people aren’t only self-diagnosing, they’re self-medicating with hormones bought online). No idea how many people among the population in any country could actually be transgender, but it’s a fair assumption to suggest that there are more people who are transgender in some countries than others, and with cultural variations and values and so on, they may not even recognise or acknowledge the concept of gender or what it means to be transgender from a Western perspective.

In India for example, the concept existed for millennia in literature and religion, but it was only in recent times that the idea of people who don’t fit in with traditional ideas about the roles of men and women in society, being recognised in law and given protection, became a national issue, and a Supreme Court decision meant the introduction of similar legislation to Ireland… sort of -

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/12/04/784398783/india-just-passed-a-trans-rights-bill-why-are-trans-activists-protesting-it?t=1648025183368

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/12/05/indias-transgender-rights-law-isnt-worth-celebrating

You can see now why the IOC were keen to wash their hands of any association with having to determine an actual policy, and instead chose to issue guidelines instead to national organisations and federations, let them look like they’re not being inclusive and fluffy and all the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m not too sure but what is your opinion on Ireland’s Gender Recognition Act 2015 and if it could be discrimination? Honestly I don’t know the answer so interested in what you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't need to be told how science works. All evidence suggests something is true for the population at large, your proposition is that it is different for a particular subset. That is the claim that needs the evidence, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Pretty much all of these laws have carve-outs to specifically allow same-sex discrimination where it is necessary, but they don't generally enumerate the situations so it would be ultimately up to a court to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Would anyone on the segregate sports by biology like to comment on trans men?

Do we, or do we not, insist that a trans man who is taking testosterone competes against women in all sports?

I would really like to know how people propose to fit that square into the "protecting women's sports" circle.

Everyone would be happy to see Pat Manuel in the ring against a women because 'biology'?

And before anyone asks I reckon if a woman wants to fight Manuel that's her decision. I have no ideological position on it either way.

But if people are concerned about the damage a person with a bulked up by testosterone body would do in a competitive fight with a woman then surly this would be uncomfortable, to say the least, to watch?

Someone's biological sex has nothing to do with their gender. Apparently.

No, they should participate with men as they have no inherent advantage (though with the understanding that they themselves are likely taking risks) - quite obviously someone taking testosterone should not be competing against women as it is essentially doping. Its banned for a reason. It's not that complicated.

There are already rules regarding PEDs. It would be up to the biological woman if she wanted to compete in the sport or take performing enhancing drugs which would block her from competing. People make these choices daily. Do I want to train, or do i want to drink? Do I want to move up a level or stay where I am? etc.

• Advertisement

But that is not insisting sport is segregated according to biology which is what many many posters here are saying is the way it should be.

Your stance seems to be (and I may be misunderstanding so please correct me if I am) that medically transitioned transgender men may compete against biological men as the hormones they take have leveled the playing field enough for it to be fair.

But medically transitioned women may not compete against biological women as supressing the same hormones does not level the playing enough.

Only in women's sport should the biology rules apply?

I'm not sure what question you are answering tbh. It's not the one I asked.

I asked if people who believe sport should be segregated according to biology think it is therefore right, proper, and fair that medically transitioned men compete against women.

IF gender cannot be changed that means a transgender man is a woman...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

No, I think medically transitioned transmen will be at a significant disadvantage competing against "biological" men so clearly it doesn't represent any problem with fairness. I think they should be made aware that they themselves may be at heightened risk in certain sports such as boxing/rugby but if they are ok with that then its their right.

Your question is exactly what I am answering.

In female sports, certain PED's including testosterone are banned. If a biological female wants to live as a man, fair enough, but if they want to compete in a sport, they have to follow the same rules as everyone else, including the use of PEDs. I don't think I can be any clearer.

I would prefer people answered the question.

If people cannot change gender it follows that trans men are women. Therefore if sports are segregating according to biology trans men should compete against women.

Yes or No.

If Yes - what about the physical advantages they have gained by medically transitioning?

If No - who should they compete against?

Then you recognise that due to medically transitioning trans men can be regarded as men when it comes to sports?

The biology rule can be waived?

I never made any "biology" rule. But as far as I am concerned women can compete in male sports right now if they want without even transitioning. Because there is no "fairness" reason to exclude them.

My view is that female sports are a protected category - i.e. the one with restrictions on entry - and male sports are to all intents and purposes an open category.

• Have my stopwatch on for this thread. 😉

• Advertisement

I did ask that those who advocate strict segregation according to biology explain how to 'deal' with transgender men.

I am genuinely interested in their response.

Biologically, to avoid any whinging, Yes.

And should they wish to compete in a sport, they should have the same rules as everyone else. Including those on PED use.

Ok.

Is it your position that in order to be allowed to compete in sports a transgender man has to effectively de-transition?

I have no position on it other than the rules should be adhered to. It is up to the person to decide what they want to do. I'm sure there are plenty of athletes who have had to retire/not make it due to the medications they are on being on a banned list.

The rules are being adhered to - the rules for most sports state transgender athletes who meet the hormonal criteria may compete in the category of the gender they identify as.

You wish the rules to be changed so it's segregated strictly according to biology.

Thank you for your honest engagement.

If I may - what category to you think athletes considered 'intersex' should be placed in?

I haven't looked into intersex, and in this case, am not going to. It has nothing to do with transgenderism, it is a medical condition, which apparently gender dysphoria isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Ron De Santis being the voice of reason as always :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’ve no doubt you know how science works, no need to be snippy about it. I’ve no doubt you also know how medical ethics and laws and national selection committees work too in order to arrive at a favourable outcome in terms of who should join a team to participate in international sports competitions, as opposed to the idea that the only criteria that is relevant is biology.

That’s why an athlete studying an academic discipline in the US loses out on a position on the team because they fail to meet the qualifying time in the heats, but they can still compete in the Olympics and represent their country, Hungary in this case, whereas the athlete who is born in the US, is excluded from competing in the US, and cannot represent another country at the Olympics, effectively ending their athletic career before it’s even begun.

Science can’t determine fairness in sports, which is the crux of the issue for ALL athletes, not just current athletes, but those young athletes who will hope to participate in competitions and represent their countries in the future. In America, being regarded in sports as an All-American athlete is kind of a big deal.

Btw the proposition is that a different set of rules applies to a particular subset of athletes, while there is insufficient scientific evidence to support what is regarded as discrimination which is unfair to them and a disproportionate measure which inhibits their participation in sports. Science doesn’t decide a person’s gender either. For that the only thing that is relevant is the law, and upholding their rights to autonomy and to participate in sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Because a lot of people are cis men obsessively angry that trans women exist. Thats it really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement