Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Like Jimmy Saville. He was weird looking even by the standards of the 1970s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The trailer playing itself like a video nasty is a weird tone to strike. Presumably the final documentary will be less trashy. You'd hope so, given the subject.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Like an old man in a shell suit smoking a cigar. It's a far cry from CBeebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I want to watch Top Boy but do I need to watch Top Boy Summerhouse before I watch the 2 more recent series

• Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus that was unsettling and in a few of those clips of him, it sounded like he wasn’t trying to hide it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I use to watch and love Jim'll fix it as a young lad, and I can say that I didn't think there was anything especially weird about his looks back then. Any opinions that he looked like a weirdo (or other description) are based solely on hindsight. Anyway, off topic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's not hindsight if you weren't around to see him in his heyday. And as most people outside the UK or Ireland are unlikely to have been watching Jim'll Fix It when it was on, they will probably have the same reaction, is all I'm saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Netflix has yet to find a ‘true crime’ story it can tell sensitively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Boiling Point (2021) - Philip Barantini’s single-take kitchen sink drama, starring Stephen Graham, is a real-time tour de force of heated tension. Burdened by personal problems, a testy head chef must keep his cool amid multiple crises during a hectic Christmastime service at his upscale restaurant .

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Nice! I had no idea that this was coming to Netflix so soon after it's initial release. Have only heard very good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Dunno, when you see old shows from the 70s and 80s bad taste seemed to be the thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I watched Boiling Point recently, it's pretty solid. Stephen Graham definitely holds the whole thing together. It's all a tad contrived (like many one-shot films) and the gimmick has been done before and better. But it's definitely an entertaining - if relentlessly grim, strangely - watch, and it's always nice to see Graham get substantial roles like it.

i have seen old shows from the 70s and 80s, or, as I like to call them, shows I watched growing up. He was always creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, Saville always stood out. Even when all you wanted as a kid in the 80s was for Jim to fix it, he was still in a league of his own in the weird looking stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The most of them were creepy , Bob Monkhouse, Ted Rodgers, Les Dawson would all have had an air of sleaze about them.

they didn't have kids sitting on their knee every week. and they didnt dress as oddly as savile. anyway I think that is enough about the vile necrophile.

Love Like the Falling Petals (2022) (Japanese) - An aspiring young photographer falls in love with a vibrant hairstylist. The future stretches before them -- until a twist of fate changes everything..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

On the last episode of (and I think this is the title) - the woman in the house across the street from the girl in the window.

While its been enjoyable, I think it kinda falls between two stools, I know they're aiming for parody, but it drifts between Naked Gun levels of Silliness, and at times its almost a compelling Drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I couldn't make it past the first episode. I found it too tonally awkward.

• Advertisement

I wonder is it possible to watch Top Boy and not be walking around saying “Innit” every 5 mins for weeks after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Boiling Point. Good film but the catering industry will wince at the realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Watched Boiling point last night myself and enjoyed it. Thought the one shot worked quite well. Glad I never had to work in a restaurant.

What’s Coming to Netflix UK Weekly in April

N=Netflix original

Weekly Episodes

Forecasting Love and Weather (Season 1) N – K-drama – New episodes Saturdays.

Jump Like A Witch (Season 1) N – K-drama – New episodes weekly starting from April 12th.

Riverdale (Season 6) N – New episodes Mondays.

Thirty-Nine (Season 1) N – New episodes Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Tomorrow (Season 1) N – Webtoon K-drama fantasy series – New episodes twice weekly starting April 1st.

April 1st

Abby Hatcher (Season 2) – Kids animated series.

Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood (2022) N – A new hybrid animated series starring Jack Black. About a man narrating his early years living in Houston during the historic Apollo missions.

Battle: Freestyle (2022) N – A new Norweigen romantic drama.

Beyblade: Burst Surge (Season 1) – Japanese anime series based on the renowned children’s toy.

Captain Nova (2022) N – Dutch sci-fi movie about a fighter pilot who travels back in time to stop a global disaster.

Celeb Five: Behind The Curtain (2022) N – Fake-VCR comedy movie.

Get Organized with The Home Edit (Season 2) N – New episodes of the reality series looking to get your home organized.

In Good Company (2004) – Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, and Scarlett Johansson star in this rom-com.

Oddbods (Season 3) – Kids animated series.

Pet Sematary (1989) – Classic horror starring Dale Midkiff.

Rise of the Footsoldier: Part II (2015) – British action movie starring, written and directed by Ricci Harnett.

Stray (2020) – Award-winning Turkish documentary looking at the city of Istanbul through the eyes of three stray dogs.

Stunt Science (Season 1) – British reality series that tries to figure out the science of the most daring stunts.

The Bubble (2022) N – An all-star cast comes together in this pandemic-era movie about a group of actors trying to make a movie while quarantining in a hotel.

The Last Bus (Season 1) N – A new British kids series about a group of students fighting to save humanity from an army of drones.

The Women (2008) – Comedy about a wealthy New Yorker wrestling devising a plan with other socialites to help win back her man.

Welcome to Eden (Season 1) N – Spanish-language sci-fi series.

April 3rd

Confession (2022) – David Beton writes and directs this action thriller that plays out in real-time during a night when a vengeful religious confession takes place.

April 4th

The Goldfinch (2019) – A boy in New York is taken in by a wealthy family after his mother is killed in a bombing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Produced by Amazon Studios and distributed by Warner Brothers.

April 5th

Black Dog: Being a Teacher (Season 1) – Korean drama series about a temporary teacher battling school politics.

April 6th

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story (Limited Series) N – A retrospective look back at the life of the disgraced TV star Jimmy Savile.

Michela Giraud: The Truth, I Swear! (Season 1) N – Italian stand-up special.

Pálpito (Season 1) N – Spanish-language Telenovela.

The Ultimatum: Marry or Move On (Season 1) N – New reality series from the creators of Love is Blind. Sees six different couples put their engagements to the test.

April 7th

Return to Space (2022) N – A follow-up documentary looking at SpaceX’s recent mission to get NASA astronauts up to the ISS.

Senzo: Murder of a Soccer Star (Season 1) N – South African docu-series.

April 8th

Dancing on Glass / Las niñas de cristal (2022) N – Spanish thriller.

Dutch Lines (Season 1) N – Dutch drama series about the invention of one of the first erotic call centres.

Elite (Season 5) N – The mystery crime Spanish series continues in April.

Green Eggs and Ham (Season 2) N – New batch of episodes of the Warner Brothers animation series.

Metal Lords (2022) N – From Game of Thrones writer D.B. Weiss comes this new teen movie about two kids starting a metal band hoping to make it big.

The Inbetween (2022) N – Paramount+ movie starring Joey King arrives exclusively on Netflix. About a brokenhearted teen.

TIGER & BUNNY (Season 2) N – Anime sci-fi series.

Yaksha: Ruthless Operations (2022) N – Korean spy action film directed by Na Hyeon. On assignment in a perilous city to inspect a Black Ops team and its notorious leader, an upstanding prosecutor steps into a deadly war between spies.

April 11th

Joker (2019) – Joaquin Phoenix plays the iconic role of the Joker in this dark reimagining of the character. Written and directed by Todd Phillips.

April 13th

Almost Happy (Season 2) N – Comedy from Argentina.

Our Great National Parks (Season 1) N – Former US President Barack Obama narrates this nature docuseries.

The Taming of the Shrewd (2022) N – Polish romantic comedy.

April 14th

Hard Cell (Season 1) N – Catherine Tate appears as multiple characters in her new mockumentary series set in a prison.

The Worst Witch (Season 4) – CBBC series.

Ultraman (Season 2) N – Three years after it first premiered, the anime series returns for new episodes.

April 15th

Anatomy of a Scandal (Limited Series) N – Produced in the United Kingdom, this new courtroom thriller is about a sexual consent scandal amongst the British privileged elite and the women caught up in its wake.

Choose or Die (2022) N – Horror previously known as CURS>R produced in Britain and starring Asa Butterfield (Sex Education).

Heirs to the Land (2022) N – Spanish language historical drama.

April 16th

The Man of God (2022) N – Nollywood movie.

April 19th

Battle Kitty (Season 1) N – New interactive animated series that sees you assisting Kitty and Orc battling monsters across Battle Island.

April 20th

Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes (Limited Series) N – A new docuseries from Joe Berlinger about a man who dined with the powerful and preyed on the vulnerable.

Russian Doll (Season 2) N – Natasha Lyonne returns in this follow-up season to the Groundhog Day-esque series.

The Marked Heart (Season 1) N – Mexican thriller series.

Turning Point (2022) N – Italian crime film.

April 22nd

Along for the Ride (2022) N – Feel-good romance drama based on a book.

Heartstopper (Season 1) N – An eight-chapter story about life, love, and everything in between.

Selling Sunset (Season 5) N – Reality series.

April 26th

David Spade: Nothing Personal (2022) N – Stand-up comedy special.

April 27th

Silverton Siege (2022) N – Arnold Vosloo stars in this crime drama about three young freedom fighters seeking refuge in a South African bank.

April 28th

Bubble (2022) N – Anime movie directed by Tetsuro Araki. In an abandoned Tokyo overrun by bubbles and gravitational abnormalities, one gifted young man has a fateful meeting with a mysterious girl.

April 29th

Honeymoon with My Mother (2022) N – Spanish-language comedy.

Ozark (Season 4 – Part 2) N – The final season of Ozark that sees Ruth on a mission to get revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must do a rewatch of Russian Doll before the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭strawdog

I watched it a good few years ago when it was on channel 4 and in still doing it a fair bit since!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Very interesting film all along, but I felt like the ending was a bit flat. He was under some pressure though. Very apt title for the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

or when greeting close family relations with a simple ‘wagwan’ or get you get the complete wrong end of the stick when your mother asks ‘do you want some food’

Advertisement