Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭fits

Bonkers or switcher used to tell you whether the rate was fixed.

just got my electricity bill. 500 euro for two months which includes all our heating, cooking and 90% transport costs. there’s not a whole lot of room for making savings on consumption as house is new build and pretty efficient but how high is it going to go???

We are on a 24 hour rate as I seem to be stuck with a smart meter and I have been reluctant to activate it. Need to look at solar again. We have other work to do in house and that will be delayed if we go with solar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Good to know smart meters can be switched out.

Wasn't aware of that. More options for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve been waiting for mine to be switched out since September.

I haven’t pushed it though because with increased standing charge and needing to pay to get one reinstalled I wasn’t 100% convinced.

Check the t&cs on energia website - the updated since March 5th edition. Point 24 on the EV offer.

It says the unit price is fixed for 12 months. Now, the unit price there is incorrect, but when I signed up in Jan I'm pretty sure the same typo was there, and it wasn't easy to find on the website either.

Might be worth checking, especially if you're still within the cooling off period with current provider 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I was planning on solar in the next 5 years, thinking I might need to accelerate that plan

You're right that you've hit the diminishing returns point in energy efficiency, a high BER rated house covers most of the bases already. Beyond some changes to habits and maybe switch to night rates then the only real option left is to start generating some of your own electricity

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yes I signed up yesterday and was linked in my email to the same T&C's. Like you I noticed rate was incorrect but rates are not usually in T&C's. Point is clause 24 specifically says the electric car plan has fixed rates.

I guess we will just need to see what happens, I will complain if rates turn out to be not fixed.

Incidentally, I had been "cooling off" on a bonkers retention deal when I changed to the electric car plan yesterday. Based on my last 12 months actual there was little enough in it (less than €20 over 12 months), but I moved for the rate being fixed, plus we will have 2 EVs shortly so saving on night rate from Electric Plan would be more in coming year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They were fixed as recently as Dec 21 when I signed up at 24.13c/6.95c. Letter confirms same.

EDIT: Energia T&Cs still says it is fixed. See item 24: https://www.energia.ie/privacy/terms-conditions

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep mines fixed. It's not changing till August. The only one that was fixed.

I don't think energias ev plan is fixed anymore. But mine is thankfully.

I just didn't get in early enough to get @unkel really low rates

The ev plan rates have gone up since I started my contract. My last bill I was just shy of 2000 night units.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Looking at the terms and conditions for the Energia EV plan, it seems that the rate is fixed and the discount is fixed but the standing charge is explicitly not fixed. Are there any limits to how much they can increase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

After thorough research, below is the finding and query, please advise

Use case - Smart meter - with no intention of replacing with day/night - Average national usage - currently with Energia (elec/gas) - with that thought in mind

1) 24 hr meter - cheapest is Electric Ireland - 17.74

2) smart day/night combo - cheapest is SSE - 18.57/14.09

Should I even bother going with day/night considering not much difference in rates and simply change to Option 1. EV will be charging mostly at night twice a week (during working week) and more during summer times

Am I missing anything or good to switch?, please advise, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ptltd

I'm going through the same decision, also need to consider SSE has a 19.81 peak rate.

Also considering Electric Ireland night boost, 24.444 day, 12.58 night, 6.79 2-4 am.

Depends how many kwh a year you drive, and if can always charge at lowest tarrif.

5000kwh year house, 4160kwh year car.

Back of the envelope:

SSE smart is about 120 euro year cheaper than SSE flat, without factoring a bit of peak usage, so reduce that a bit.

Electric Ireland smart boost is about 10 euro cheaper than SEE smart.

Haven't considered standing charges differences..

Post edited by ptltd on

cheers, all mind boggling calculations - the more we do, the more it gets messy. Plus there is no coming back especially if we go for Smart Day/Night with very little or no financial advantage - Main Con :(

Looks like winner could be between EI Vs SSE - some relief :) ..am more inclined towards Home Electric+ Saver 26 - wanted to check here in case I missed any obvious points !

Our usage is less than std I would say - mainly work related - weekly approx ~ 180 - 200kms - so 4160 sounds about right !

Home Electric+ Night Boost - I see little bit diff rates, just highlighting for ref

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 - 25.24c per kWh

Night: 23.00 - 08.00 - 12.98c per kWh

Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 - 7.01c per kWh

Yeah slightly cheaper when dual fuel with Electric Ireland smart dual+ night boost.

Yes activating smart is the only risk, which is the risk of the unknown, probably none, long term (years) day/night meters and 24hr meters will fade out with (hopefully) more smart choice.

I can (calculated) save 120 to 320 a year if I use SSE or EI smart, just the commitment to smart is a conundrum.

ok after more careful readings, seems I will go with Home Dual+ Night Boost - EI. Any final thoughts before I press the button? need to do it today, thanks

EI - Home Dual+ Night Boost Vs Home Dual+ Saver 26 - is very tempting as well

Pro (EI)

1) 200E bonus

2) Night boost available in EI

3) Night rate cheaper than SSE

4) SSE smart day rate almost equal to SSE Peak rate

Con (EI)

1) Day rate (24.44) greater than SSE day rate (18.57)

2) Gas rate (5.79) greater than SSE (4.93)

Using 5000kwh house and 4160kwh car (back of napkins):

*Not considering standing charges and some SSE peak...

If you can live with 24.44c day rate and use 2-4am 6.79c exclusively then on paper EI dual boost is 200 euro year cheaper

If you use EI night 12.58c for all of car charging, SSE is 30 a year cheaper.

If you car charge 50% EI night and boost it's 90 euro year cheaper than SSE.

If you car charge 50% of the year on day rates on both SSE and EI, SSE is 180 year cheaper.

Post edited by ptltd on

well then, that leaves me with 2 options, since we are evaluating step by step and back of napkins :)

Home Dual+ Saver 26 (EI - 24 hr) Vs 33% DD & eBill* (SSE - smart day/night) (* since SSE Flat is already out as per earlier posts)

Should we take the leap of faith 🤔, what say? So close now :)

SSE and EI flat are close enough to same unless I've lost track.

SSE smart is 110 euro year cheaper than EI flat based on all the same caveats.

Both flat rates are more expensive than all other cases except EI 50% car charge on day/night no boost by 162 year, or break even if 50% SSE day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Is the Bord Gais smart plan not a little better than all of those if you can avoid using too much during peak?

are these rates before or after the BG hike - BG announced 27% hike from April 2022? Plus SSE smart still better - PFA below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

going by the standard meter rates, they look like the pre-pricehike rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Well I just checked them today so presumably they are inclusive of the hike?

I guess which one is better depends on whether you are going to use the EV rate on bord gais much. I'd charge my EV and set up dishwasher etc to run at this time so would probably make sense

They are before increase as far as I can see.

On the plans I've checked if you can exclusively use the EV or 'boost' rate it's much cheaper on my calcs, if I think more real world, only use it some of the time, and account for peak times, it becomes marginal.

be careful is my advice, if you dont ask, they wont tell...in the end whatever works for you, good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The BG price hike comes into effect from 15. April, I'm not sure the website reflects this yet, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

I don't think it does as I signed up a few weeks ago and those were the rates.

BG new EV rate using 29% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭beachhead

13c hasn't been around for a while.18.49c is the lowest standard price I've seen in the last 10 wks with Electric Ireland(the lowest of any supplier)When looking at comparison websites remember they have an inbuilt commission in the prices quoted.Always check with the company they recommend directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭beachhead

19.74c with BG in March 2022 before increase on 15/4/22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Gone up since,you signed up just as the price increased.

• Advertisement

18c night rate. LOL. And the peak rate of 33c, after discount!! 😲 Rip off.

Energia have a 6.9c night rate (for 9 hours). Day rate is 24c so may not suit everyone.

Electric Ireland had one very recently, 18c Day, 9c Night I believe. Not sure if still available.

Imo, the EV rate thrown out by some providers for a few hours is being used to gouge you on other time slots.

Advertisement