Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billions [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The constant talking in references by everybody is getting old now, I find it distracting and un natural.

Chuck has shed some amount of weight over teh last few episodes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I recently zipped through the last few episodes of the last series.....it's very lightweight imho, easy on the eye and probably not worth examining in too much detail.

There was one scene in particular with Prince and an investor which I found very grating....the investor was going to pull his funds and Prince basically ranted at and insulted him for about 5 mins....and yer man goes "Sure ok...I'll hang on" 😂

I mentioned on the thread last year I think about character allegiances and motivations - there's been so many shifts and switches now that I genuinely don't know who's doing what and why (but maybe I'm not paying enough attention).

If I remember correctly this show started out as a somewhat edgy satire (?)....not sure what it's trying to be now tbh... there's an occasional look and feel of Succession but then it reverts back to parody mode.

Having said all that I'll watch the new series....it's something of a guilty pleasure at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont think it was ever meant to be satire, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I guess I have no real frame of reference for how billionaires act, but based on what I see from Bezos and friends I dont think Axe is too far off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Maybe satire is the wrong word...from memory it was more light-hearted and didn't take itself so seriously.

I wouldn't have a lot of insight into billionaires either...I'd imagine they get to a point where money doesn't matter anymore and it's all about ego and d1ck measuring.

Will be interested to see where the new season goes anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It was loosely based on SAC capital in the US with Axe based on the founder of that fund. Basically they were all over insider information etc and were eventually caught by the SEC.

In reality though it's difficult to make that premise into a whole series and hence it drifted away after the first season or so. I stopped watching after series 4. I think I'll give it a go getting back into it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,877 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Billions renewed for season 7 at Showtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

It has some of the sharpest writing Ive seen in ages. 'Ill roll over you like a tank through Tiannemen f*cking Square' was a stand out quote for me from Season 5 or 6 I think it was. That competitive edge they constantly wanted to get over each other. Characters were so deeply flawed but you could not help but be fond of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Put a fork in it they're done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've found this season better than expected. But not a lot going on really.

I've already forgotten why chuck has such an issue with Prince. He doesn't seem so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chuck has a problem with Prince because he backstabbed him to get to Axel and now Chuck has a bee in his bonnet over the whole Billionaire Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i was not expecting much from this series after axe left but it seems to have made it more interesting again having prince around leading the ship

The internet isn’t for everyone

Ah yeah, I forgot about Prince doing that. And obviously it lead to Axe being able to escape to Europe. Overall though, Prince doesn't seem too bad. Not as much of a bad guy compared to Axe anyway. And Chuck looks like a bit of a dick for trying to stop the Olympics coming to New York.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chuck has ran his course but with yerone jumping ship it should freshen things up a bit, it's not a bad watch but not as good as it used to be.

Yeah, it was a good move for her. I was getting a bit bored with her just standing at chucks side.

I thought last week was the end of the season and I thought it was a good way to finish it to setup Chuck vs Prince, the next episode is even better and sets up a few very interesting potential storylines.

Good to see Chuck being spun on his arse, his speech went on a bit too long for my liking and I was tempted to fast forward it

An amazing speech to have ready with no preparation, having him up freed up to take the fight to Prince should make for some good TV.

That was a brilliant episode. I reckon it will be Chuck V Sweeney for Governor next season

I didn't even think of Chuck running for Governor, that'd be a great storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

This has been a better season than I expected but surely it's has to come to an end soon?

It has potential to keep going, Dollar Bill/Mafy haven't been used much so there's a lot of potential there, a new Chuck has to come in, Chuck is still in play, a couple of new Billionaire's have been brought it, I like the direction it's going and removing the whole Axe/Chuck is making it even better.

They have just reinvented it by replacing ax with Mike Prince

Yeah, it's just been the same formula really. Last night proved it, with Prince just setting up Chuck and Dave outside the park, paying off the participants.

I can see Taylor leaving and setting up with Scooters nephew. Can't remember his name! Possibly taking Tuk and Ben along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Wags was a bit of a spare part this season. Very little of his usual escapades. Patrick is the nephew's name as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Far too many movie and sporting quotes / references. Nobody speaks like that and can come across as lazy write as in fills the gaps where real dialogue should be.

It's an enjoyable show but very samey and has been for a while - you take a swing at me - I take a swing at you. Tune in next week to see how swings being taken.

Its just lots the magic that was the early seasons.

I would like to see Axe back in the mix, highly unlikely.

Either team up with Prince to get rid of chuck for good or team up with chuck to get revenge on price but that has kinda happened before/

No chance he'll come back. He knows the show is creatively all washed up.

Possibly a small cameo type roll in the final season or something.

• Advertisement

I thought last week was the finale. 3 more episodes to go.

Episode 10 was a bit meh after 9 last week but the clip of episode 11 looks very interesting indeed

doesn’t look like Chuck is going anywhere sadly, he’s getting boring now

The script writing has gone all West Wing with rapid responses and too much introspection. It just looks naff now, I think it lost cred a few episodes ago where for some stupid reason they were listing the cost of all the clothes/jewellery they were wearing in each scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah, what the **** was that all about?

Not sure why I'm still watching but I'll stick it out till the end. Sunken cost fallacy...or something. 🤤

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

It's just rinse and repeat.

Chucks new revenge plan is just like that last plan against axe. Make him fight a battle that he thinks he can win but can't.

Its the same story line with just a new character.

Watchable but if this season was the first season I wouldn't make it past the first couple of episodes.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we even learned in this episode that Chuck will never change. Nice to see Dave taking charge though, and having to tell Chuck she's the boss now, and cases don't concern him.

I didn’t see that coming

I like Mike 2028 🤣

I'm halfway through the episode and accidentally clicked on this thread!

You must be bored if you’re browsing boards while watching billions lol

shame they don’t put a spoilers warning in the title of the thread to save people accidentally clicking on it

It's one of those show that I feel has gone downhill. So I have it on an external monitor while I'm working. If there's anything that I need to concentrate on in an episode I can pause and pay attention to it. But I wouldn't dedicate any time to actually sit down and watch an episode of it.

• Advertisement

Fairly obvious move for a character that is hungry for absolute power.

Just a slightly different rehash of earlier seasons. It's gotten boring and predictable. I'll probably just give it until the end of this season and then drop it.

agreed - it feels like its been the same for the last few seasons.

Still easy watching for a Monday evening. It's been renewed for a 7th so no doubt another round of the same back and forth battles that kinda go nowhere.

About time Chuck just retired. Spend some time looking after his kids before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I enjoyed the latest episode... good fun, a few overdue funny scenes involving Wags!

One thing that bugs me when watching this that doesn't ring true is something that happens in almost every other scene. Two (or more) characters are having a conversation and almost mid-sentence or before the other person draws breath, the person speaking turns on their heels and walks away quickly! Mike Prince does it in almost every scene he's in. I've nearly made a drinking game out of it - there he goes, walking off stage again.

good episode, i didnt know which way it was going to go

i think chuck needs to go at this stage

Chuck is just totally unsuitable in his position. Dave needs to rethink working with him.

Such lazy writing though, with the presigned warrant.

Is there another episode this season, or is it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

That was it, I think. Absolutely turgid season.

Viewing figures show it's dropped about 60% since it started.

I won't be tuning in next season anyway.

fa from done according to this article in bustle

The Billions Season 7 Cast & Plot

Though Showtime has yet to make any official announcements, it’s likely that the Season 7 will see the return of many longtime Billions cast members, including Maggie Siff (Wendy Rhoades), David Costabile (Mike “Wags” Wagner), Condola Rashād (Kate Sacker), Asia Kate Dillon (Taylor Amber Mason), Jeffrey DeMunn (Charles Rhoades Sr.), and Giamatti. Some newer additions from Season 6 are also likely to reprise their roles for the upcoming season, such as Daniel Breaker (Scooter Dunbar) and Sakina Jaffrey (Daevisha “Dave” Mahar) in addition to Stoll.

Not much has been revealed about the potential plot of Billions Season 7, but co-creator Brian Koppelman did say that he’s confident they can continue the show for several more seasons. “We’re still really engaged,” Koppelman told the Los Angeles Times. “We love the way the season ends, and we feel it gives us plenty of runway moving forward.”

• Advertisement
Advertisement