Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Ram in HP Pavilion Desktop

Options
  • 21-03-2022 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion Desktop that is limited to 8 GB ram. I have a spare 16 GB , (2X8) lying around and I was wondering if I could do something to make it see the extra ram.

It's not my main PC and used mainly for "messing about". Any idead anyone ?

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's two vague to answer. What specs are the DIMMs? What model is the desktop? What RAM is in it currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Thanks for your reply,

HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xxx

It has 8GB Pc4 2400t-UA2-11 or ram.

I have 32 GB of DDR4 UDIMM 3200mhZ

I installed that, but it only sees 8GBs, but works, maybe slightly faster.

Thanks

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check for a BIOS update. However, generally the BIOS limit is unbreachable otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If 8GB is the max the motherboard can handle, then that is the max it can handle.

You can try the memory configurator on the crucial website to confirm:

Either go through the steps of identifying the model, or simply allow it to scan your computer and you should get your answer.

Thanks for your help lads. dotsman would this suggest that I should be able to use 16 Ram ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can you post screenshot of your Task Manager Performance tab with Memory highlighted or RUN>>msinfo32

Also, see in BIOS what is RAM location for graphics

Also, see in BIOS what is RAM location for graphics

Sorry I can not find this info, am moving out of my comfort zone.

Your screenshot show you only have one DIMM installed.

Either your "extra" RAM not recognized by system or not installed, Not familiar with this PC BIOS - perhaps DIMM slot can be disabled, you have to find out.

I have 2X8 Dimms installed, I swapped them around and even just used one dimm at a time in both slots. The board can not seem to recognise more that 8ram, no matter what way I install it.

Thanks to all for your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭wandererz

Check the BIOS.

What amount of RAM does the BIOS see?

Also in Windows, run "msconfig"

In the box that pops up, select the "Boot" tab and then "advanced options"

Check if the "Maximum Memory" option is ticked. If it is, uncheck it.

What version of Windows are you using?

• Advertisement

This was one year ago with 570 model, perhaps relevant to your case.

Not excluding posibility of 2nd slot being dead altogether

Hi wandererz, I am using Windows10. If I tick the box, it shows 8192. I can enter 16384, but as soon as I click "ok", it reverts back to 8192 or zere if unticked.

I think I might be stuck here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭wandererz

Thanks for the reply.

That eliminates that as a config option, Based on what you have said (and assuming both sticks of RAM were plugged in at the time).

But you need to reply to ALL the questions to get people to assist you properly and be very specific.

Thanks for the the screenshot above.

What about the below?

• Check the BIOS.
    • What amount of RAM does the BIOS see? (google how to access the bios on HP Pavilion Desktops if you need to)
    • What version of Windows 10 are you using? (Home. Pro etc?)

Amazing how helpful people can be.

smuggler the link you posted is interesting and might work for me, but I already have 16 Ram spare, so I don't wan to purchase more for a back up PC.

Wandererz, I'm using Windows Home. The bios in this machine is prety basic.

and I don't see any way of changing anything. remember 8 Ram is recognised in EITHER slot.

I'm not a newby, (I go back as far as DOS), but I can't see any way of changing anything.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

ammm, yeah.... Potentially this board is fussy about RAM and, i speculate here, it only can work in dual channel with two sticks, so RAM must be a kit. Unless yours IS and its just fussy...

...and this one exactly match your model - HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-015na

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-power-580-015na-RAM-upgrade/td-p/6525706

Hi smuggler, I have finally managed to get a message to the link above and am awaiting a reply.

It does seems as if HP have locked down the PC to only use only the

Crucial by Micron brand.

My spare 16gb of ram are,

Patriot Signature Line Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz UDIMM Form Factor 288-Pin RAM memory technology DDR4

Memory speed 3200 MHz Capacity: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4

Frequency: 3200 MHz (PC4-25600). Timings: 22-22-22-52.

Shape: Non-ECC Unbuffered DIMM; Pin Out: 288 Pin

Spec looks the same, but.....

Thanks again to all.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and especially those who offered links that I missed. smuggler found a link from someone with the exact problem and the exact model as I have. Working from this, I also found something strange. No matter what you put in slot 2 on it's own, the PC will not boot.

As the other poster found out, (think he is from USA), this model is extremely fussy about what make of ram it will accept.

The Crucial memory site, as mentioned by dotsman, said that Crucial memory would work in the HP.

This is what the other poster did, as soon as he installed the Crucial ram, slot 2 sprang into life and showed 16gb of ram.

As a final test, I borrowed a 16 ram module from my "good" PC and installed it in slot number 1.

The computer recognised 16 of ram on boot.

Anyone want to swap 2X8 for 1X16 lol.

Thanks again to everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement