Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So look, here is the link you are missing, if spread in the community is reduced, the likelihood of hospitalisations from Covid also reduces.

That over 50% of hospital cases are now incidental suggests that there are far bigger problems in hospital. Hospitalisations from COVID are now well below 1% and cases are overwhelmingly full households laid up for a bit. This little surge should pass quickly enough so a swift reverse will look like we can't live with this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Of course there are far bigger problems in Hospitals, they are full of sick people, Covid is not the only reason why people attend/stay in hospitals. But each person in hospital with Covid has to be isolated while there, so if even 50% of people in hospitals are as a result of community spread, it puts a huge strain on services.

I do not advocate going back to restrictions or mask mandates, but there really is no excuse for not understanding the benefits of wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Young, fit, healthy, vaccinated people aren't getting very sick. No matter how much people want force this blatantly incorrect narrative down our throats.

At this point I'd argue its more stupid to go around worried about this, genuinely. You are getting covid, it will happen, its a part of life now. I do find it interesting that 'stupid' is always used for the less conservative, and its acceptable. But its unacceptable to call the hyperconservative stupid, even though they're damaging their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The thing I'd add to that sentiment though, is that you should continue to be mindful when you are going to be around people with vulnerabilities. It's an extra reminder to be careful when you possibly have any viral or bacterial infection to do what you can to ensure you don't pass it on to others, especially anyone vulnerable.

I never thought we'd see the day that people actually wanted to have a pandemic. The media are absolutely desperate to get this back on the front pages. The experts are lining up to be interviewed. The unions are sharpening their knives. The hospitals desperate to tell us that the same number of people as every year are on trollies.

I work on a team of almost 100 people and they are all giddy. Dying for the numbers to go up in the hope they can work from home again.

i see lots of people say "Nobody wants a pandemic" but I don't believe it. People do want this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Highly transmissible new variant, high numbers in hospital, you could be the one in a million young, healthy and vaccinated people who get it etc. and a mask is fantastic.

We've heard this narrative before, many times now. Well at Christmas we had masks galore and 500000 cases a week.

Guess what? Masks made no difference.

Masks are mandatory in hospitals yet we keep getting hospital outbreaks.

Surely if masks worked this wouldn't happen?

Every pub I went into last weekend had plenty of old people, they didn't seem bothered by this non event.

So everybody with a positive covid test gets a private room?

How is it spreading in hospitals if they are all isolating and wearing masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Worked at a wedding at the weekend and there were quite a few elderly people attending. They made zero effort to reduce their chances of getting covid. No wearing masks and could always be found in the most unventilated parts of the venue (presumably more worried about feeling cold than getting covid). I'm 100% in favour of removing restrictions, including mask mandates, but I did worry for them somewhat. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Nor are young, fit, healthy unvaccinated people for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well at least some positivity, ICU has dropped from 61 to 55 this morning.

There is no denying a lot of people wanted it to last forever.

Back in the office now and the price of fuel!

We really need a breakdown of vaccinated / unvaccinated / being treated for covid / incidental covid.

I wouldnt be surprised if we are treating less than 10 fully vaccinated people for covid in ICU today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭Xander10

Stephen Donnelly & Helen McEntee join Michael Martin on Covid list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The good thing is, the more ministers/td's etc. that get it, the more they will realised its just another bug we need to live with. Let the elderly and vulnerable take a bit more care and give them a 4th vax, but society has to just get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

This isn't true though, many aren't but enough are, Our household is really suffering with covid this week, way worse than any cold or 'mild flu'. My wife run's marathons, my daughter is superfit, swims and dances. We're all in bits. Of my friends who have it I'd say it's 50/50 between mild symptoms and being really floored by it.

I guess it's this new variant, but I don't believe it can be so readily dismissed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The rhetoric is relentless though! It’s all over social media! GPs coming out the medias back side! Near impossible to avoid the headlines! You had the IT and Examiner with front page news today!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh I hear you, I'll be avoiding my inlaws for the next week as I know they'll be back up to high do! Anyone not locking down/mask wearing are akin to murderers, its quite sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s not being readily dismissed for most part. It’s people trying to live their lives alongside it and rightly so. We are all going to be exposed to it. Anyone who is calling for lockdowns ( i know a few) or severe restrictions at this stage as far as I’m concerned can DO ONE. BTW i do practice caution and still wear a mask in certain settings and work. I’m certainly not dismissing it.

Being ill at home is hardly "very sick" though. Most people would define very sick as needing hospital or even ICU.

The numbers of vaccinated in ICU are not increasing.

We are all most likely getting this at some point so we just need to move on, and if we get it, deal with it.

The majority have most likely had it by now so herd immunity can't be far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The stress of isolating is worse than the disease at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ultimately, if you think the potential of being in bed sick for a few days is worth putting your social life on indefinite hold for, fine. I would argue that's extreme and a net negative to your life.

What annoys me is when not being worried about it is described as 'stupid', and the above is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Agree with most of this

but herd immunity isn’t necessarily a thing when re-infection is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Absolutely this. We've had three runs of it in the house (all getting it at various times). My wife not great with it, but only for 48 hours. The rest of us fine with mild symptoms (I had no symptoms).....yet we were in various states of isolation for nearly a month. The pain of trying to sort work/childcare/school due to the current rules far outweigh the effect of the disease now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I saw that clown from Trinity College talking about BA2, you know the 'new' variant. I immediately thought...new? I knew about that variant 3 months ago ffs. He was only saying it was new so that he could peddle a narrative of impending doom. I really despise people who try to cash in like that.

It might be an unpopular view (because you won't here it on the tele) but you're best getting Covid while the vaccines are active in your body. A few months from now they won't be as effective and high caseloads will inevitably lead to more suffering. Let it rip through the population NOW, while the vaccines are actively protecting us. The more of us infected the better. Acquired immunity is the gold standard, offering longer lasting protecting and deliverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Data would suggest the current surge has peaked. The bank holiday weekend might give a little bump in about a week, or may be inconsequential.

The media will get another couple of weeks banging on about hospital numbers and random GPs fretting on the radio about ICU numbers, before they realise surge has already passed and they're flapping their gums about something which has already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just half curious but is there any level of analysis applied to the uploaded antigen tests? For example, if Random Person A uploaded a positive antigen result yesterday and again today are they one case or deemed to be two?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Email from the boss, possibly reintroducing masks to our workplace.

i give up!

Indeed, I suppose once people are on their third or fourth dose of covid, which many probably are at this point, the severity of illness diminishes.

Hence very few, if any, fully vaccinated people in ICU this wave.

Edit: ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I swear I'll die a happy man if I never have to read the words "WHO special envoy David Nabarro" ever again.

Advertisement