Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I signed up for 18c day 9.5c night with Electric Ireland via bonkers about 3 months ago. Great deal. Can't find anything better out there still.

We have a 3:1 (sometimes 4:1) Night:Day usage pattern despite being 2 tech professionals workiing full time from home.

Also, that peak rate is eye gouging. 40+c??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah i agree there,imo ev drivers are better off with the best day/night available at that time-if it suits of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No, just one or more EVs charging solely at night, many appliances running solely at night, large powerwall charged up only at night, to release its electricity during the day. Several of the regulars on the renewables forum do pretty much not use any day rate electricity at all for large parts of the year. Saving themselves a fortune and being environmentally friendly at the same time...

During the last week or so, I have generated 30-35kWh per day on average from solar PV. The average Irish house uses 10kWh per day (without EVs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

So we're with BG and they are about to up our rates 30% from April 15th. It's well worth the 50 euro to break the contract and move, but I'm wondering if the other providers are also planning to up rates. Any views on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They're all going to up their prices. I can't see a situation where they won't to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

12 month fixed with Energia EV tariff is well worth a punt.. leaving aside the 6.95c night rate, I suspect the current 24.13c day rate will be a very attractive proposition in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

Great thread, thanks to all contributions, i learnt a lot.

Have been doing a spreadsheet, as it is so complex, everyones usage is different, we currently have a smart meter, but i am not on a smart package tarrrif. having done a detailed analysis of our specific usage, based on 2 years usage, with 2 EV’s, but thankfully, only 1 being charged at home, and its low usage, averaging 110 kw per month over last 9 months.

we have a Heat Pump going in this week, which i had to estimate, at 2,500 kw annually, the best two smart packages were the @Unkel suggested SSE Airtricity, smart tarriff, followed closely by the 24 Hour EI 26% off. Have also flexed my estimates up and down, 20% each way, and they are still almost identical. (Less than €10 before vat separates them annually.)However, the SSE has better flexibility, to potentially use more on the night rate, and so its the smart meter tarriff, winner for me.

I am also trying to see if its worth exploring a Day /Night meter, and I am still unclear how one goes about getting a smart meter removed and installing a day/night meter, whats the actual process ?, call my existing BG supplier, or is it Electric Ireland networks ?

My BG contract ends in a few weeks, so i might wait to see what price increases come in over the next month, before moving onto next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have yet to see a convincing reason why one can’t get a day night rate with a smart meter. What’s the reason?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

LOL. No, just dedicated to load shifting to the night. Everything can be timed. Current place (that we're leaving in 5 weeks) even has storage heating so literally everything is on night rate from washing machine and dishwasher, to car charging, to water heating etc is done at night.

Current place has no battery or storage or solar, just my cheapness. Why pay a penny more for what's in your control and is not time critical to do now or 2 hours later? If I want a cup of tea at 1030pm I often wait for that click at 10.52 local time to boil the kettle :P (the mrs hates that!)

Boiling the kettle costs €0.02 at day rate and €0.01 at night rate. You're the ultimate miser / cheapskate 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have a son who fills the kettle to make a cup of coffee. Drives me mad when there is a mark for one cup or whatever..

It's a waste for sure, but not as bad as you think. If your house heating is still on at the time, there is in fact pretty much no waste at all if he did that during night rate hours as heating with old skool 100% efficient electric heaters like a kettle is barely more expensive now than heating with a high efficiency oil or gas boiler and actually even cheaper if you're on the Energia EV rates - even the current much gone up in price one 😁

Ah yes, that I am.

For the new place I've budgeted for solar panels, storage, and a backup diesel (will be run on SVO) generator to go off grid eventually. The standing charge is like 50-60c per day, paying that per month just for the privilege of having electricity really bugs me. I hate overpaying for anything that's not a luxury. I'll happily spend 80-90k on a model X but hate paying 50 cents extra to run the dishwasher during the day!

It's handy to have back up in case the grid goes down. But going off grid costs a lot more than being on grid even if the standing charges doubled or trebled! Off grid is only really viable if there is no grid connection and it would cost a fortune to get connected. Like a remote holiday home. Or of course if you are a dedicated prepper deep down in the USA somewhere - I know this probably appeals to you 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ptltd

If you haven't activated a smart tariff, you can (according to Energia on the phone however is still at ESB discretion) have a smart meter replaced with a day/night meter.

On my complex spreadsheet the Electric Ireland day/night is very attractive, my smart meter was installed before I had any notion of getting an EV, however after the time and effort of getting a mains upgrade and charger installed, I'll just pass on the hassle of having the meter changed.

I'm also leaning towards SSE smart tariff, going to hit the button today, erk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The Electric Ireland 26% discount rate for day and night is one of the lowest alright from what I can see. Day 18.94 Night 9.35.

I had signed up to Energias EV charger plan. Got the day night meter installed and the charger was installed this week. I'm now switching straight away to the electric ireland plan above and I'll pay the €200 contract termination fee.

So essentially, I got the charger for €200 and will have the electric ireland rates instead of Energias at 27.98 and 13.42. standing charge almost exactly the same.

The letter I got from Energia with the rates advises a €50 termination fee. I'm told on the phone however that this EV charger plan termination fee is €200 as I have had the charger installed already. It doesn't say this anywhere on the letter at all. Can I insist the termination fee is therefore only €50?

I have something at home that is a huge draw on my electricity-it's called a woman!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ptltd

how long did it take to get the day/night installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Energia have a 6.95c night (9 hours) , and 24c day plan. EV plan. Fixed unit rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

They wouldn't switch me from the contract I was on to that offer. And the day rate put me off anyways as the Electric Ireland rate was 18c.

About 2 weeks to get them in.

Sounds like energia is the crowd to go with. At least it's fixed for a year. Am I reading that right? BG say the contact is just the discount rate and the unit cost can vary.

Yep. And the only plan even within Energia that has fixed rates is the EV rate.

I'm on it here https://www.energia.ie/products/price-plans?MeterTypeDDL=2 and cannot see what stopping them putting up the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There's a T&C saying the unit price is fixed. I'm on it my myself since Jan. I believe its the only plan with fixed unit price.

You can always contact them to confirm.

Advertisement