Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭puntypower

Is anyone buying batteries from Ali express on the oye sale on the 28th? This is my first attempt to make a pack with BMS. Besides the cells and BMS what's needed? Are cables included from oye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

In case anyone needs a seplos bms 150a, I have a brand new one here, with lcd and usb adapter, PM me for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Currently looking at all battery options at the minute and weighing up costs.

Have a 5kWh Puredrive at the minute and have been trying to get a price for a second one. Priced in the north at £1650 so €2100+ factoring in exchange rate and collection costs. Have tried Puredrive direct put response from them has been non-existent really. Original installers are quoting €2200.

I am currently in contact with a manufacturer in China with a view to importing direct and am firming up prices to see if it is worth it.

I think 10-15kWh battery charged in this weather would get me through the day without any grid use really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

This is my grid purchase rate this month.

The 2 high days were car charging. But for the past 5 days I've only imported a little over 7kWh and most of that was following one bad day.

great going alright, I envisage something similar for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I have an AlphaESS battery/inverter 5.7kWhr/5kWhr and 14 panels on the roof. Love to increase the battery pack but I don't fancy going DIY route.

What are my options other than going back to original supplier? I have no problem going back to supplier - service was excellent and I think price was competitive at the time.

Easiest option will be same product to extend the battery but can I put +-10kWhr compatible battery on system and still use the same inverter and software etc?

System is in place for over one year now and really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

You could possibly add 40kW of storage. Limited only by them being identical I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I have been running from sun for 7 days now. Still managed to export some as even with 20kWh battery and water diverted I was not able to use everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MahatmaGeansai

Thanks @championc !

For the powerdiverter I hang my head in shame... The CT cable was not fully plugged into the unit that's connected to the immersion. It was only marginal but lesson learned. I usually treble check stuff.

Also got sorted on the battery settings on the me3000sp and it's not far off what the BMS is telling and it's charging away mad now, especially today. I've found pointers for the limits etc but if there's any cheat sheet you guys might have that you've found works best?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 optip

that is class :) hopefully, I'll have similar by end of April.

is that Grafana?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Very interested in following this path. I have Dyness - but replacing with something and selling the old Dyness would be fine too.

Did you try Failte Solar already? I got an email reply to ring them on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

I don't believe its possible to add anything other that AlphaESS own brand battery packs to the AlphaESS inverter. The inverter knows what battery is connected to it when you look at the advanced settings, there is no option to change this or set custom parameters to suit any other battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fluffykre

At present I just have solar and would love to build a diy battery however dont have a steal or concrete shed. What are peoples opinion about storing a diy battery in an attic? The shear weight would have me concerned if I wanted to build 20kwh battery, 179.2 kg sitting across roof rafters. Is there anyone storing them in an attic and somehow mounting on a wall so weight is not being placed on the roof structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 optip

very nice... I've been playing with Grafana for monitoring peak shaving / weather forecast based nightly charging

the solid yellow is excess solar, the dashed green is battery SOC and the solid red is peak rate usage... booo!

my 5kWh battery can last well into the evening if cooking happens while the sun is still shining. Once my new cells arrive, hopefully red blocks in the graph will be a thing of the past :)

Haven't tried Failte, will wait to see how the China option plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

Confirmation today my batteries should be here in about 3 weeks. Excellent communication from oye store but nothing whatsoever from pwod with my other cells but just assuming they are enroute too.

Seplos and extra copper busbars arrived today. Excellent price on the seplos through AliExpress and only 4.74 vat due on them so saved about €100+ on if had bought from UK. Thanks again to buzzfish for the Ali recommendation.

Just one question for those who have got the extra busbars from AliExpress. Are yours also several thin copper bars held together with the shrink tubing in centre as expected mine to arrive as one solid copper bar or at least that is how they appeared when ordered with their photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

This is great - and im a little jealous. Ive only 5KW battery and im seeing about 3/4 KW needed per day imported at this stage.

Trying to decide is it worth me adding more battery to fill in the later hours - or should i just keep with the night rate savings. I am afraid if i overbuild from this point I will end up just adding years to my payback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Don't even think about payback, go for it, it's more fun this way 😁

FIT will be useless and you can always fully charge the batteries on night rate in the bad months.

I'm looking at going from 5kwh to 20 myself, will probably never pay back (or payback in 2 years thanks to that stupid commie) but I don't care, I want to be able to do stuff like cook in the evenings without draining half the battery, gaming also wastes a ton of power in the evenings in the house, and still want to be going on battery until the next time the sun comes out, then winter time charge them at the EV night rate which might do me for the day, almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I know this is OT but "stupid commie"? I assume you mean Putin. Newsflash: Russia stopped being a communist country 30 years ago. Putin's political ideology is diametrically opposite to communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I might have missed an obvious thread for this, but is anyone operating batteries purely for load-shifting without panels connected? (cant seem to do a specific thread search these days)

Anyhow, I'd be technically competent to knock up a self-build battery system, neighbour is a spark and can certify mains connectivity if need be.

On my current Bord Gas day/night rural tarrif, there's 12c difference between day night which will increase next month. I'm just break-even on this rate now averaging 25% night usage on usage of 6500kWh/annum. By my reckoning I'd save €490pa after VAT and discounts if I could load-shift to 75/25 night day by battery cycling, about €250 pa for a 50/50 split.

Daily use averages 18kWh, but obvs more in the winter, say up to 24kWh/day.

So to move another 50% to nighttime battery charging year round, I'd need to allow minimum 10kWh battery pack?

Given cost to self-build this, am I likely to break-even anytime soon?

FYI, I have space for about 40sqm of panels on south facing garage, but it is partially shaded for 3 months of the year so would need optimisers to make best use of it. Haven't costed for panels recently, but would prefer to avoid the large capital outlay atm.

Likely to be acquiring an EV later this year, so would be charging nightime and this would improve the night/day ratio although increasing overall usage. Not sure the EV itself merits solar PV, if I can charge most anytime using nightrate from the batteries.

Thinking batteries will also help work around the worst of the punitive "smart meter" tarrifs when these are forced on us.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

The CALB batteries which we have all bought are about €1200 for 10kW, delivered to your door. Add €200+ for the Seplos BMS. You could even go with two packs in parallel (just buy a spare set of busbars).

A good build panels wise would be 4kWp. You can self build that too. You only need to nominate a sparks on the ESB NC6 Form. The sparks would typically then just connect the AC side of the inverter into your board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be aware the losses in and out of batteries...up to around 20%

• Advertisement

Yes, figured there would be at least 10% loss, will factor that into my calcs thanks.

Thanks, that's pointed me in the right direction for some further reading. At that price I'd almost certainly go for 2x10kWh. Assume that BMS can take multiple inputs from mains/ PV inverter if I add some DIY panels.

Would ideally want to use as auto-backup when ESB is down (fairly regular in our area, at least 3 X 2 hour outages so far this year), but understand that may be trickier to implement. Have a manual c/o switch at present to switch from mains to generator input.

The BMS sits between the battery bank and the Inverter. Both the Positive and Negative cables pass through it - battery legs on one side and inverter legs on the other.

Most inverters have an Emergency supply output, and it's from this that critical loads are fed. Yes, you could wire this to your board to feed it fully by way of manual or automatic changeover switches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No BMS can distinguish between the voltages of paralleled cells...

If you want a 20kWh battery pack from 32 200Ah cells, you really should configure them as two parallel packs of 16S1P, each with their own BMS

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Is it just the one spare bus bar needed to join the 2 sets? They seem to sell in sets of 4 or 16 so just wondering how many extra needed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If paralleling cells you need 16 more bus bars

A paralleled 200ah cell is a 400ah cell electrically.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

What do I need for a DIY install without solar? We plan to sell the house in max 5 years so can’t justify solar. Thinking I could go the DIY battery route and take it with us when we sell. Is it just the batteries, BMS, and then an inverter connected by an electrician? We have night rate already so the idea would be to charge over night and reduce day rate usage. Would like to do more for the environment but also want to be a little bit selfish and take whatever I add with me!

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Sale starts tomorrow until Friday

That's pretty much it. Cables and DC disconnect device too.

The best storage inverter would be the Sofar ME3000

Is there any point? Even if you charge the whole battery every night at night rate, and use it all up at day rates, you will save 9kWh (usable) * (19c day - 9c night) * 80% round trip efficiency = €0.72 per day (€250 roughly per year), the system will cost you at least €2000 (if you buy really well) to setup plus the cost of the electrician

I suppose the real unknown is as to where the price of electricity will be next week, next month, next .......

True enough. And what is missed quite a lot in these discussions as well is that night rate electricity in Ireland is much cleaner than day rate. It is already over 50% from wind. It's not all about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Hi Unkel. That’s a really important point. Do you have any links to the % of wind generation as part of overall electricity generation at night in Ireland? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭fael

Just ordered 32 x 200Ah from the PWOD store, some good deals at the moment indeed. Had it sitting in the basket for a week.

Very addictive this PV and battery business, haha.

Anyone any recommendations where to buy 2x Seplos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭S'

Also looking at 32 x 200Ah. What did you pay? I know these were €2500 incl shipping before Christmas but looks like never to be seen at those prices again

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭fael

Paid €2265. Pretty good deal. Shipping and VAT/Customs included.

The price changes when you put it in your basket, it takes away the VAT and that is the final price you pay.

16 32pcs CALB 3.2V 200AH 3C LiFePO4 Battery for Solar Energ long life 4000 Cycles for power system| | - AliExpress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭S'

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Ya tbh as I priced it I realised financially this makes very little sense. But I could get pretty much all my usage bar say the kettle (very short spike) and the oven off day rate onto the cleaner night rate. Just goes to show how little investment (in my opinion) it takes a house hold to clean up their grid use.

6.96kwp South facing

Best way to clean up your grid use is to max all your roofs with panels! I live in a small semi-detached house in a suburb of Lucan and I have 8kwp, producing about 7MWh per year. A typical house in Ireland (without EVs or heatpump heating) uses about 3MWh per year!

You must have an S facing shed (like me) or E/W split because no way you'd get 8kwp on a one sided semi-d roof in Lucan 😂

5 panels on kitchen extension, 5 panels on house roof (busy up there, already had 40 tubes and 3 velux windows) and indeed 14 panels on my large new shed, all south facing 😁

Someone was joking this morning, asked me how long it would take for the shed panels to actually pay for the build of the whole shed 😁

BTW my virgin road / north facing front of the house is next if / when panels would drop significantly in price. According to Quentin, a north facing typical roof angle panel in Ireland produces about 50% of a south facing panel, so could very well be worth it then. Would fit about 18 panels on that in theory minus a few panels for chimney shading...

Bought some more batteries from PWOD last night too, just got an email that they have already shipped

What size battery have you got unkel now with the latest addition? What kind of payback you expect on this?

Edit: not sure why that photo attached and unable to delete it 😱

Photo could have been a lot worse 😂

I ordered 32 more CALBS, not quite sure what to do with them yet. I might sell my current 16 to someone who doesn't want to wait for 2 months for delivery from China. And install the 32 new ones. Payback period? Not too worried about that. But I am currently still load shifting. If you load shift 365 days a year with a 20kWh pack, that alone is worth about 18kWh (usable) * 365 * €0.1 (difference day and night rate) * 80% efficient round trip = over €500 per year. That alone makes for a decent payback! And the difference between day and night is likely further increasing.

• Advertisement

Ah that's good as thought you were critical of some in battery thread that increasing in battery capacity from 10 would be waste. Must have mixed you up with someone else here. Gone with 20kw batteries myself which should be here in next few weeks. Should be able to cycle them each day and will be load shifting on bad days and in winter.

Some cracking prices to be had in battery storage at the minute and yesterday's sale price even beats my Feb sale price that I picked them up at 👍

Lol you could have been right about the photo 😁😁

Advertisement