Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sports are just one example among many where people are determined to keep people who are transgender from being able to participate in public life

Thats exactly it. Its an agenda to restrict trans people dressed up as faux concern about fairness in womens sport.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

You're asking for my opinion. My preferred solution would be to have an Open category rather than a male category, and allow everyone of every sex and gender to compete there (Subject to standard PED rules, which could potentially cause an issue for Transmen if Testosterone usage is not covered by TUEs). I absolutely wouldn't want to see anyone prevented from taking part in sports as long as the rules are fair to everyone. Some sports events already do this. Some sports event results are de-facto treated this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're missing the point of the sports segregated by sexes, females can already compete in the "male" category of most sports if they are good enough, it typically isn't a male category at all, any human can enter it.

If a trans-man wants to compete against males, they are taking the risk on themselves and they must adhere to any requirements (e.g. testosterone levels). The trans-man is disadvantaged due to having lower bone mass, smaller lung capacity, differently shaped hips and generally smaller frame (among other differences). The risk in contact sports is very high to the trans-man to the extent they may not be allowed to compete at elite levels due to that danger to themselves.

A trans-woman competing in female events has all those advantages.

If you could find a sport where females have an advantage over males, then yes, it would be unfair for the trans-man to compete against other men in that sport.

But there is no such sport (even your debunked ultra endurance running).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You're missing the point of the sports segregated by sexes, females can already compete in the "male" category of most sports if they are good enough, it typically isn't a male category at all, any human can enter it.

They can’t though, it’s absolutely a male only category. That’s why Chris Mosier was worried about their future in sports and why they campaigned to have the IOC change their policies regarding the participation of transgender athletes.

And that’s not the point of the sports segregated by sexes either. The point of sports segregated by the sexes is so that the prestige and status in sports traditionally only played by men (and even then only a certain type of man), is maintained.

There’s no testing to determine whether or not it’s fair that men with either low or high natural testosterone levels have a biological advantage over other men for example, because however hard it has been tried, deductive reasoning is not definitive proof of an advantage so great that it necessitates a policy to exclude a whole group of people on the basis of being within a specific encdocrinological range - fancy a pork burrito if you’re a man? Enjoy. Fancy a pork burrito if you’re a woman - that’s a paddlin’, and no amount of blaming it on Mexican immigrants hygiene standards is going to be accepted as an explanation.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/1006622129/an-olympic-hopeful-says-her-burrito-is-to-blame-for-her-positive-drug-test

Arguing about the capabilities of a list of top 100 runners in the world all being men are nothing more tan than specious nonsense. The top 100 cheerleaders in the world are women. I know you’re interested in scholarship opportunities, so not to disappoint -

https://www.ncsasports.org/cheerleading/cheerleading-scholarships

Nobody is arguing that anyone be forced to participate in any sport they don’t want to. It’s the fact that they shouldn’t be able to determine whether or not anyone else has the same opportunity as they do to participate in sports without discrimination as to their sex or gender.

Maintaining that the restrictions are to protect integrity and fairness in womens sports is nonsense, there’s been little interest in protecting the integrity or fairness of women’s sports up to now, apart from when the physical examination was disregarded for the pseudoscientific nonsense it is, chromosome testing was disregarded as unreliable, and hormone testing is also regarded as an insufficient scientific standard to determine sex for the purposes of competing in competition.

Imagine if the same resources which are put into sex testing women were put into actual protecting athletes from abuse and actually promoting women in sports what could be achieved? Crazy idea I know, better to promote pseudoscientific nonsense as legitimate when comparing apples and oranges to deduce the nutritional value of grapes 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am not missing any point.

But it is interesting watching people dancing on the head of a pin trying not a answer a very simple question.

I did not ask what the current rules are. I know what they are - and no. Cis women may not directly compete against cis man in a great many sports. It has nothing to do with being "good enough", it has to do with that precious trope of "bigger/faster/stronger" being evoked.

My question was a very simple question.

In response to your pin dancing I will re-word it.

If those sport that are currently segregated by gender become segregated by biology should transgender men be compelled to compete against women?

Yes or No.

Post edited by Bannasidhe on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And that’s not the point of the sports segregated by sexes either. The point of sports segregated by the sexes is so that the prestige and status in sports traditionally only played by men (and even then only a certain type of man), is maintained.

You keep coming out with this nonsense as if the prestige and status of men would be threatened one iota by women being able to participate together in their sports. There would be predominantly only men in elite sports if they were not segregated and there would be only men competing to actually win and gain prestige.

Women's sports were undoubtedly not given the requisite support and treated as second class for an incredibly long time (and still are to a large degree in most sports). But the problem is not that they were segregated out - there would in essence be no women in elite sport to worry about if they had not been.

(there are niche examples such as not allowing women to compete in marathons for example, though at the competitive end they are to all intents and purposes running separate races)

It’s as though you imagine the 50/50 gender split at the Olympics in Tokyo was just a happy accident or something 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I can see where you are coming from, but lets look at the figures:

"The DSM-5 estimates that about 0.005% to 0.014% of people assigned male at birth and 0.002% to 0.003% of people assigned female at birth are diagnosable with gender dysphoria." or 1 in 30,000 males and 1 in 100,000 females.

That is a statically tiny percentage.

I could only find figures on medical transitioning from 2011 - and those were self-reporting by a relatively small sample size.

"61 percent of trans and gender nonconforming respondents reported having medically transitioned, and 33 percent said they had surgically transitioned. About 14 percent of trans women and 72 percent of trans men said they don’t ever want full genital construction surgery."

Sooo - roughly 6 out of 10 of those 1 in 30,000 males and 1 in 100,000 females tweak their hormones.

How many of that 6 are athletes?

How many are good enough to be considered elite?

I reckon there would be more competitors at a large school's sport day then elite trans athletes who meet the hormone requirements in the whole world.

Who would fund them? Who would sponsor the events?

The nearest thing to what you are suggesting is The Gay Games, who have adopted a policy of, while segregating by all the usual categories to ensure fairness , stating people's gender will not be policed. The athlete self declares whether they wish to compete against men or women.

But lets be honest - as fun as the Gay Games are, and judging by the level of training the Irish team did for the Paris games the participants take it very seriously - but it ain't elite.

It's not even elitist as anyone can enter - gay, straight, trans, non-binary. It is completely inclusive.

But not elite by any stretch of the imagination.

Trying to restrict the very small number of elite trans athletes to competing only against other trans athletes would effectively bar most from competing at all simply because there wouldn't be anyone for them to compete against no?

And what about the team players? Soccer...rugby...volleyball...basketball etc etc.

Be hard pressed to get even one top flight team of both transmen and trans women never mind two.

What non-contact sports are females banned from competing in against males? Track, athletics even soccer are open to females if they are good enough, at the non-elite levels they constantly mix

If those sport that are currently segregated by gender become segregated by biology should transgender men be compelled to compete against women?

If they stop taking testosterone supplements, why not (providing the sport doesn't have a ban on juicing in the off season). Again, at lower levels in sport, this happens all the time, it's when competitions and risk kicks in that the regulations also kick in.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you didn't come down in the last shower and believe the "pork burrito" excuse from a competitive athlete :)

(I'm sure these type of mistakes happen, but nowhere near as often as the effected athletes end up claiming).

And not sure where you're going on cheerleading, cheerleading squads who compete have a mix of genders, male and female cheerleaders can get scholarships, which gender has the advantage in cheerleading? The scoring criteria also matches the fact that it's mixed gender (unlike gymnasts where the skills are differentiated due to these differences).

(you really need to cut down on the whataboutery, burrito case was a particular reach, it doesn't add anything to your posts, I'm guessing most will skip over it entirely)

It’s not whataboutery, sure isn’t it all to do with protecting the integrity of women’s sports? 😏

Too right I didn’t come down in the last shower, that’s why I’m not prepared to swallow nonsense about the restrictions on transgender athletes having anything to do with protecting the integrity of women’s sports or any feigning concerns for the safety and welfare of women. That reasoning itself is the very definition of whataboutery, when the objectives of fairness, safety, promotion and protection of women’s sports is in no way threatened by the participation of people who are transgender.

It’s why I don’t even entertain the argument that it would lead to a deluge of men claiming to be women in order to participate in women’s sports - have you seen what happens to anyone who has tried? It’s precisely because they’re transgender is the only reason they are disproportionately targeted for derision and scorn. That has to be taken into account in terms of fairness to all athletes regardless of their gender or sex (some competitions specify gender, some competitions specify sex).

The point I was making about cheerleading was in relation to the same point that’s being made about running - so what if the top 100 runners in the world are men? What’s that got to do with anything? The top 100 cheerleaders in the world are women? Still nothing to do with anything. In every sport there are opportunities for all sorts of body types and positions on the field of play in team sports - the advantages and disadvantages balance each other out overall and everyone plays to their strengths. It’s for this reason that we know of Usain Bolt the runner, and not Usain Bolt the cricketer - an early injury in cricket put the skids on any hope of excelling in cricket, so he changed to running. Plenty of people do, and they change events and they change all sorts as they age.

Nobody is actually restricted to any particular sport to the degree that posters arguments about the top competitors in any particular sport is of any relevance to the discussion, just like nobody is required to read my posts if they don’t want to - nobody is going to force them to, and it doesn’t mean they will be excluded from the discussion simply because they have the attention span of a gnat, but imagine they have the power and authority to determine international sports policies based upon nothing more than their own ick factor.

Unsure of the point you're actually trying to make here other then males being great at running? (the top 100 female runners are pretty good too but will be about 10% off the top 100 people).

Anyone can play any sport they want to, if you want to compete and earn recognised medals, you need to follow the rules.

It sounds like we're past the point where self-affirmation is enough (we are, aren't we?)

Which means we're actually at the point of what level of disadvantage leads to a level playing field or finding out that the level playing field is impossible from a practical standpoint.

You're right that the current number is too small for it to have any meaningful effect at the macro level, but it can have a big impact at the micro level, particuarly on female competition right at the time when we want more females participating in sports (as there is a huge drop out when they hit puberty leading to lower levels of fitness for a lifetime) it's also when some female sports (soccer being one) are finally getting increased sponsorship and exposure (the big problem is still that females don't tend to watch other females play sport so it's primarily male viewership being targeted where there is only so many eyeballs to go around).

Of course it wasn't an accident - it was forced. That is the entire point.

In a world with no segregation it would have been 100% male.

the big problem is still that females don't tend to watch other females play sport so it's primarily male viewership being targeted where there is only so many eyeballs to go around

That’s a low blow astro 😂😂

Right, at least you’re not still trying to convince yourself that it had anything to do with biology.

That’s the REAL point - sports competitions aren’t just based upon biology, they’re purposely configured, by humans, who make up rules and regulations as to who can and cannot participate. It doesn’t matter that the 100 best runners in the world are men, it doesn’t matter that the one million best runners in the world are men, that has nothing to do with prohibiting anyone from participating on the grounds of either gender or sex, they can still participate, and they do.

They’re just paid a lot less, and they aren’t held in the same esteem as the mens games, because men are permitted to do things women aren’t - the rules for men and women are different, whereas there’s nothing to stop the rules from being the same for all participants regardless of their sex or gender.

They don’t even have to have the same training or diet regime, and many of them don’t. They don’t even have to be amateur or professional, and many of them aren’t, so the idea that the 10000000000 best athletes in the world are men? Who gives a fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The rules?

How is running in a straight line more beneficial to men? Explain that one.

Right, at least you’re not still trying to convince yourself that it had anything to do with biology.

This doesn't even make sense though I'm happy for you that you seem to think you made me concede something. There is a 50/50 (roughly) split because it is enforced by rules that create a separate space for women who otherwise could not compete fairly with men.

They’re just paid a lot less, and they aren’t held in the same esteem as the mens games, because men are permitted to do things women aren’t - the rules for men and women are different, whereas there’s nothing to stop the rules from being the same for all participants regardless of their sex or gender

Indeed, there is nothing. Though women will then be held in even less esteem and earn even less because they will likely never win anything in professional or elite sports ever again. Women don't run slower than men cause they "are not permitted" to run as fast.

I honestly feel very sheepish right now, the high horse is retired and I won't be back for a few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

@joeguevara

Since you've read some 'conclusive' studies could you clarify exactly what is meant by the conclusion that 'transwomen don't have an advantage', in respect of the following point :

There are 2 elements to sporting success

1. The innate talent one has for the sport, honed by practising/training for that sport
    2. In physical sports, the physical attributes one possess, which aids point 1

Is the conclusive conclusion you speak of referring to point 1 or point 2? Or both? I admit I haven't gone though the studies you've linked to me earlier with a fine tooth comb. Actually, that was just an opinion piece on a report, but not the report.

I can see how the conclusion could be valid for point 1, but not point 2. The devil is in the detail.

In case that's not clear, here's a real world example. Serena Williams may very well be just as talented and skilled as Rodger Federer. She may even be more talented and skilled than Fed. However point 2 would/could swing the difference as to who would win. And who wins in sport is so utterly the point.

It would be quite brave of you to say physical differences between men and woman are irrelevant. If that were the case in sport it would be the case generally in life. All those men pumping iron in the gym, all those muscles, but doesn't give them any advantage physically over anyone at all, even other men.

edit: typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

It makes perfect sense as you’ve been arguing that segregation in sports is based upon biology and the expectation of women’s inferior capacity to men in human activities which were created by men, developed by men, and for the vast, vast majority of human activities, are still governed by men, who called these activities ‘sports’.

You’re also arguing inevitable consequences which just haven’t been borne out by evidence from human history in other domains where women were also assumed to be inferior to men due to their reduced capacity as a consequence of assumptions about differences in biology and their effects on human ability or indeed inability to participate, let alone excel in any given activity other than reproduction and domestication.

In short, you’re making exactly the same arguments which were made over 200 years ago in order to maintain the status quo as it was then. Thankfully for everyone in society, attitudes have progressed in that time, not through proofs or scientific discoveries, but by rules, what we call laws, being changed to prohibit discrimination and protect everyone in society from discrimination and allow for their participation in public life as equals.

A small number of sports organisations have a bit of catching up to do is all. It won’t be the first time they’ve had to change the rules as to who is or isn’t permitted to participate when the only thing at risk wasn’t the participants safety, but the organisations income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you've made that point a couple times, how does letting trans women compete with women negatively affect any organisations income?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

men are permitted to do things women aren’t - the rules for men and women are different, whereas there’s nothing to stop the rules from being the same for all participants regardless of their sex or gender

The men's javelin must be at least 800g and 2.6m-2.7m long, the women's javelin must weigh 600g and be 2.2m-2.3m long

the men's Olympic record is 90.57 meters, while the women's Olympic record is 71.53 meters

In Shot Put, the 'shot' is 7.26kg/16lb for men, 4kg/8.8lb for women.

the men's record broke 20 meters in 1960. currently 23.37 after having been 23.12 from 1990 till last year

women's record broke 20 meters in 1969. currently 22.63, since 1987

how do you see that going for women if they had to compete with men, and play by the same rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It’s a very good point. But I will say that I never said anything was conclusive, i said that all of the studies so far are inconclusive as to advantages of transgender people over others but I take your point.

But I don’t fully agree with your point 2. You are suggesting (and correct me if I’m wrong) that strength aids point 1. Firstly as far as I know lean muscle mass is lost to a large degree after 2 years of hormone therapy. Secondly the hormone replacement is an inhibitor of strength and muscle. Transgender women are in no way as strong as they would have been if they didn’t transition but in any case for most sports involved testosterone limits exist so they would not have a fair advantage in sports like weightliftkn, sprinting etc . Also it is clear that strength and muscle is not always an advantage e.g in golf huge muscle bound guys don’t always drive furthest, slight football players can be way better than beasts etc. I will admit height can be an advantage and that won’t change.

but I suppose until there is actual long period studies to determine what so many people just automatically believe it’s not fair just to completely isolate people mainly because they just don’t like transgender people. Again the participation is under 3% and apart from very few outliers transfer women are not running away with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You didn't answer my question.

Regardless, I'm not getting into that whole testosterone reduction thing. I find that all completely beside the point.

To be brutally honest, I think all the surgical/medical thing is what is at the root of all these controversies.

It was initially done as a superficial measure to help people with gender dysphoria, to help them psychologically, so they could get some comfort in themselves exuding the outward appearance of being the gender they think they are. I think all that was a mistake, because it's not possible to change a sex into it's opposite.

Hypothetically, let's say there was no surgical or medical treatment available. Would you still argue, that a born male, who is completely male, should compete with women, because they are trans and believe they are a woman?

Compete in what? Running, swimming. Grand. Like how many transgender people actually compete in sport. A minuscule amount. But that minuscule amount has caused a backlash of hate and vitriol against a group of people that don’t even compete in it. Twitter is obsessed with it, huge swathes of people are denigrating transgender people, (I do admit that a considerable amount of transgender advocates are equally as toxic), comedians are doing whole specials on them, Graham linehan devoted years of his life and thousands of tweets trolling transgender people, like for what, nothing.

There has literally been no impact in female sports. If people were really worried about the adverse impact in sports they would be discussing doping etc but that is dwarved By the amount of airtime transgender in sport evokes.

To answer your question, if a tiny amount of people want to compete in amateur athletics or swimming where winning is at the end of the day meaningless (and the vast majority of people don’t win anyway) let them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I'd disagree. Its disingenuous to try and claim the issues here solely relate to sport. I'd also question the idea of this only being an "argument" rather than a multifaceted discussion which with a range of issues relating to men and woman and society in general. Its certainly not helpful to try to paint this discussion into a corner of "only sport" or use a reductio ad absurdum of "not liking a particular human being"

There are many wider issues relating to the current debate, including biological females being forced to share certain spaces with biological males whether those are toilets, changing rooms, prisons etc or indeed the impacts on women who face issues with competition from trans women (biological males) to education based on scholarships or positive discrimination programmes or any of the other issues

And indeed there is the issues relating to sport and competition and with it health and safety and the rights of those who participate in all sports both professional and non professional

And lastly but not least people don't need to have a personal interest in a topic to discuss these issues and their repercussions

If someone is a danger to others in a prison they should be segregated and not be a threat to any person. Being a transgender person does not make them any more of a threat to others than the other criminals there.

Also, what is so abhorrent to you that a transgender person is housed with other women. Do you think that you do the crime you should only have the pleasure to see females.

As for made share toilets..like where? God help us if in the next cubicle is someone that is transgender.

As for changing rooms..where…like do you think transgender women are ogling as you get dressed. Should lesbians be excluded to. What is so wrong?

As for these sports based scholarships..well seeing as participation in sports by transgender is under 3% and the vast majority of those are not elite and not taking every valley high girls bursary. But for the tiny amount that might let’s give out about the whole lot of them because they are wrong,

People are entitled to discuss whatever their fancy is without or without personal interest. But say it as it is, it’s not about sport, it’s just anti transgender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't have a subscription so I can't read the article, but it looks like Sonia O'Sullivan is taking a strong line.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sonia-o-sullivan-transgender-athletes-cannot-be-allowed-in-women-s-sport-1.4834586

Advertisement