Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vaccinating sheep before lambing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Ewes will be lambing from mid March,intend vaccinating next wkd,think I used Covexin 10 last year.I forget what 'extra cover does' it give disease wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

I never vaccinate ewes either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ok im back with questions got a bad doing with lamb dysentry last year and am going to vaccinate all ewes and ewe lambs this year. my ewes are between 2 and 5 year old , what timeline of vaccincines should i do. they have never been vaccinated before. what timeline do i need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

With heptavac it's 2 injections 6 weeks apart with last injection 4 weeks before they lamb so awhile yet if lambing mid season

grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

What is peoples preference for vaccinating before lambing - Heptavac P Plus or Covexin 10 ?
    Thinking of buying some from Agri Direct in their sale this weekend.
    Only noticed today that you only need to give 1ml of Covexin compared to 2ml of Heptavac so Covexin is better value for money but cheapest is not always best as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    What is peoples preference for vaccinating before lambing - Heptavac P Plus or Covexin 10 ?
    Thinking of buying some from Agri Direct in their sale this weekend.
    Only noticed today that you only need to give 1ml of Covexin compared to 2ml of Heptavac so Covexin is better value for money but cheapest is not always best as they say

I believe that resistance to Pasteurella pneumonia is important, it's a common enough thing in sheep at stress times at housing and autumn.
    So we use heptavac P plus
    Covexin 10 is a different product, it covers the same 8 diseases as heptavac P plus two more diseases that aren't common but doesn't cover pneumonia,
    We got a bad enough outbreak of one of the rare diseases and changed to covexin for a few years but we also vaccinated as well for pneumonia separately
    with Ovipast

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Was having a chat with a neighbour about vaccinating ewes before lambing. He vaccinates about 2 week before they lamb because he thinks the vaccine protection ends after 6 weeks from the injection and the last lambs born won't have any protection. I vaccinate about 6 weeks before they lamb on the understanding that the vaccinte needs time to get from the ewe to the lamb and protection doesn't drop after 6 weks. Are either of us right?

theres an old video on youtube on vaccinating lambs english made very good at explaing. pasive immunity gives about 8 weeks after lamb born

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The missus's best friend is a vet. Ill ask her now

• Advertisement

The advice is four to six weeks before lambing, I'd take it that two weeks is too little time for the vaccine to work in the ewe. we do them four weeks before lambing

i have hoggets lambing in 2 weeks but cant get any vaccines. only want 50ml bottle

That's terrible, and to inject baby lambs doesn't really work until they're 3 weeks old,baby lambs are not able to respond to the vaccines/ develop antibodies until they're 3 wks.

You might get away with it though, some never vaccinate

Vaccine doesn't drop after six weeks, a ewe in the heptavac system would peak immunity and stay up for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Samuel323

You have to vaccinate the sheep 3-4 weeks before lambing.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

I have a 100ml bottle with about 80ml left you can have if its any use to you, i am in mayo don't know if it is any good for you to collect. Another thing is it was used a week ago and it says something on the box about being used within so many hours, don't know if that matters. Anyway you are welcome to it if any use

If we were intending to keep a bottle, we'd use a clean needle to suck out of the bottle and seal it up again with clingfilm or candle wax when we'd be finished and the stored stuff always seemed to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Anyone use the e coli vaccine for sheep ?Its called ecolibob (well thats how its sounds anyways ,spelling could be miles off )

Considered doing it here this year due to anti microbials (Enroxil ,Baytril )becoming restricted .Spectam gone off the market although never found it much use .Would have a few e coli lambs every year esp. coming to the end of lambing .Found Enroxil etc . excellent at curing them .

In the end didn't vaccinate .Friend who lambs about 3 weeks after me did .Still had a couple with it but in his opinion not as dehabilitating as previously .Think ballpark one euro per ewe .

We did some trials for teagasc with a pig vaccine called Erisorb years ago for joint ill, Other farmers were involved too, it worked quite well here but then we couldn't get it. Other farmers didn't get good results so it only worked on a specific bug.

We were using iodine on the navels at the time and getting lots of trouble. we changed to hexachlorethane on the navels and haven't had much since

Advertisement