Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

I haven't played below zero, lucky me I still have it to look forward to.

I played Subnautica on PC, which I've pretty much packed away now as its specs are at best on par with my series x and also with working from home the last thing I want to do with my evening is extend my time sitting at the same desk looking at the same monitor. I'm a bit put off playing Subnautica with a controller, which has been enough to put me off playing it. Think I'll get over it though and start playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only issues I found with the controller is sometimes it's hard to line up something to pick it up or mine, especially the smaller stuff, but that could just be my fumbling fingers too. Then again, I'm not a KB/M person at all so... Planet 4546B and the Oldest House (Control) are 2 of the best new locations in gaming in the last few years and I want more of it.

Gave Breathedge a go on Gamepass. Touted as Subnautica in space, but it's just not the same. Below Zero is more like DLC, I wasn't a huge fan of the on land bits, but the underwater bits had some great quality of life improvements, and you seem to advance a lot quicker. Still so much fun to explore, but the first one did it better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure you're all following NoClip by now, but if not they just released a 2 hour documentary about Black Mesa, the 20 year(!!!) half life mod that eventually went commercial (and is arguably the better experience). Never got around to playing their reimagining of Xen mind you:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should give Xen a go. They did an amazing job and really managed to elevate it into an incredible experience.... especially considering what they had to base it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I was playing GTA V on and off on my PS5 over the last couple of months and I'm probably about half way through the campaign. I decided to pick up the remastered version so I deleted the PS4 version on the console and downloaded the PS5 version to have it ready to play on the 15th. Turned it on last night and went to try and open up my previous save thinking I'd just have to open it up from the file saved on the console but that would obviously be too **** easy. Turns out I have to set up a Rockstar Social Club account, upload my file from the old GTA V to that and then download the file through the social club to the PS5 version. A spectacular load of balls which meant I had to download the PS4 version back on to the PS5 just to transfer the save file over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Despite them saying that Tunic definitely wasn't coming to GamePass less than a month ago, it's day one on GamePass. Wonder if there was a last minute cashflow problem that required them to jump on it, or if they always planned to go the GamePass route, and just wanted to milk the preorders right up until launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's getting lots of really positive reviews as well - seems to be one of the more interesting puzzle-based action platformers, mixing together a bit of Souls, Fez and a lot of Zelda. It hadn't really been on my radar but it might be just the palette cleanser I need after many hours of Elden Ring!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dg49q/tunic-finally-got-me-to-stop-playing-elden-ring-every-day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New Tekken animated series coming to Netflix

"Power is everything." Jin Kazama learned the family self-defense arts, Kazama-Style Traditional Martial Arts, from his mother at an early age. Even so, he was powerless when a monstrous evil suddenly appeared, destroying everything dear to him, changing his life forever. Angry at himself for being unable to stop it, Jin vowed revenge and sought absolute power to exact it. His quest will lead to the ultimate battle on a global stage — The King of Iron Fist Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BobyRossco

I played quite a bit. So far, I have not had time to feel challenging, but it will probably be ahead. But the design itself is very cute.

• Advertisement

Damn. That looks crazy good. Makes one excited for the future of gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

FOH that's not a real woman :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I swear she used to work in my nearest Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Read that Fortnite is getting rid of the building mechanic...

It's only for a couple of weeks so I wouldn't get too excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Picked up riders republic about a week or so ago, on a bit of a whim. Its actually really good, nice variety in the races between road/ dirt / stunt as well as the snow events.

The wingsuit though might be my favourite, bombing down the mountain, mere feet from rock and trees (you score by staying as close as possible for as long as possible). Its no SSX, but I find myself constantly having 'one more go!'

Furry joypads... Clearly the people who signed off on this don't actually use joypads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

People will buy them. That's the reason they exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure it's more a novelty thing. Like how usable were the Chainsaw or Slime controllers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

People won't buy them. There's only two, and the only way to get them is through a competition.

They might be sold off to a collector then, but they'll never be used. Imagine how gross these would be after a tough boss fight or anything that makes your hands sweat, ugh.

But that's exactly my point. They're for collecting, not playing. It's obvious.

You never said anything about collecting in your original post. And even as collector's items, it doesn't detract from how unbelievably stupid they are.

And yet someone will buy them. I'll try to spell everything out in greater detail in future so everyone can keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Subnautica. Just started this and keep dying. I know some on here praised it which is why I said I will give it a shot. Only about 15 mins into it. So didn't move far from the life vessel. I did go over to the

space ship but getting hit with radiation so you were not obviously suppose to go over there.

Is it worth putting the time and effort in. I keep dying from low oxygen and then low on health when a sting ray or something whacks me. I also dove deep near the starting area and got

disorientated from some plant and couldn't get back out of the area as I hadn't a clue where I was or upside down or what and died of low oxygen.

Don't stray too far from the starting area. Have you crafted the scanner? Once you have that, start scanning parts near the starting area so you can start finding and building the oxygen tanks, rebreather and Seamoth. Follow the audio logs in the inventory to follow the story initially, this will guide you also. If you're really lost, I do recommend following the start of a guide, just to get you going. It really opens up once you have better oxygen and travel. Scan everything! The screen will prompt you if you can scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No I haven't the scanner. I always go in blind when I play games as I prefer it that way and don't even watch most of game trailers or first 15 mins or what ever of game play videos before release of games. But I may have to watch a video but I will put that on the long finger. I will play around a bit more without watching a video. So that was a good tip about the scanner. I will collect materials near by the starting area so and craft them items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

i turned off hydration and food gauges in that game and left on oxygen and ending up loving it on switch

• Advertisement

As above, i turned off food and drink, made it a much more enjoyable game. Enough things to find and to kill you without needing food also.

I get you want to go in blind but read your PDA, there's a survival section that advises you on what you should be doing at the start. Like mentioned above, getting the scanner is essential and then the repair tool to fix your pod and receive radio messages.

I actually rage quit as i couldn't find the materials to make things at the start. Went back to it a month later after asking google and once i made those first few tools, the rest played like a dream. You'll be able to swim father and deeper in no time and then you'll have vehicles. Where you won't have to even worry about oxygen while you explore and look back on your first hour with the game and laugh at how useless you were.

Advertisement