Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal changes might actually happen but...

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ray, Ray, Ray. there is no need to be so triggered. My suggestion was merely a suggestion that the FD scheme be reworked so that the lien was a smaller percentage but that there be an additional component calculated on the market value of the rent, with the additional feature that the additional 80% clawback be removed entirely. Thereby adding an incentive that the house be used rather than being left vacant, potentially for years with all the associated issues such as invalidating insurance and damp etc.

Everyone would win if they wanted to. It would not be compulsory and the owner or their representative could instead decide to leave the property and eat the additional calculated amount.

No need to be getting yourself so worked up

No offence, but why should the decision be anyone's other than the owner of the property? If they are incapable, and have not seen fit to delegate someone with the authority to make such decisions in their stead, the authority should of course fall to the court.

I'm not trying to be harsh towards you - you are stuck where you are stuck. But it might help someone else who might find themselves in that situation eventually. They can make a choice as to who might represent their interests should they become incapacitated. Should it be the Court or do they want little Jimmy or Mary to do it for them. Let them be aware now and make that decision in advance. It doesn't help you but it might help someone else from ending in that same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Anyone who thinks this is not an emotive subjective has obviously had no experience of it. Not that wasn't obvious from all the factually wrong comments.

I agree. Could you maybe try not making them?

As pointed out many times, if people do not like the FD scheme, they don't have to enter it. If you are really against it, you can petition for it to be ended if you want. Then people can just sell their properties up front and pay for their own care out of that. I wouldn't be in favour of that but you can be if you want.

My suggestion is simply to modify it to provide an incentive to allow the house not to lie vacant. Currently there is effectively a disincentive to do that. That is not a good system

Your simplistic proposals do not fix the problems. Because you don't understand them. Even when they've been explained to you. You just keep repeating the same dogma.

• Advertisement

Of course I understand my proposals. They are, indeed, my proposals. Are you going to tell me that you understand my proposals better than me? I'm not making anything compulsory. Me posting on a message board has no effect on any policy or legislative decisions so there is no need for you to take it personally.

There are plenty of houses that would be able to be rented out tomorrow whose owners have gone into care. The reason they are not is usually that there is no financial incentive to do so. Many of these unique exceptional situations where it is impossible to rent out that property might be found to be suddenly cured over night if, hypothetically, the government removed the 80% clawback and instead said that all rental income was to be tax free while the owner was in care and was to go directly to their bank account.

You can alternatively tell us under what general conditions you would be willing to support a scheme where someone in care could elect to voluntarily rent out their home

Let us first establish the principles. Can we assume that you would not support a scheme whereby 101% of the rent was capitalised onto the lien? Now, can we further assume that you would support a scheme where the owner of the house received a million Euro a year for their house? If so, we have at least established the concept in principle. Now what remains is to find the point at which you go from negative to positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭whippet

What in the name of jaysus are you talking about ?

of course when someone is incapable it is up to the courts to make decisions for them unless Enduring Power of Attorney has been arranged ... I've never said that it should be any other way.

what I am and what people are explaining to you is that your proposals and understanding of the issues and subject matter is next to nothing .. you obviously did a bit of furious googling yesterday to try back up some of your posts.

and putting 'no offence' at the start of a nonsense post does not excuse it being offensive.

you and you alone brought up the notion of children looking to spend incapacitated parents money on BMWs ... you are the one trying to advocate for forcing incapacitated people in to renting out their assets even if they are paying for their own nursing home care.

you haven't a clue

He thinks it's all driven solely by money. So can't grasp why people leave properties empty or sell them, instead of renting. His dogma and blinkered focus prevents him from understanding the bigger picture.

Theories are all very well. But to test them you have to put them into practice. If someone is not willing to do this. That tells you all you need to know about their theories.

So a Govt telling people to do something they won't do themselves should be all the warning people need.

You are the one who could do with some googling. The only time I did a google was to pull up a link for someone to educate them on something which I said but they disputed. Nothing I have posted was factually incorrect. It is human nature for people to stick their fingers in their ears and go "nah nah nah nah I can't hear you" when being told something which they don't like, but I can't help them on that.

People are not paying for their own care costs. Giving a contribution towards it is not the same as paying for it. I already said that I think it is a good system. But saying you are paying towards it is somewhat analagous to the extreme case of a person in a council house, who puts has to give 10 Euro "rent" a week, saying that they pay for their own housing. I am only using an extreme case to illustrate the concept.

You were apparently complaining about it not being "your choice" to make decisions for a family member if they were made a ward of court. I was merely pointing out that there was no reason why it would automatically fall to any specific relative unless the person had made provision for it. It was a simple concept.

You avoided the question Flinty boy.

Would ya be happy for the place to be rented if the government paid 1m a year for it?

Let's establish the principles first. After that we can figure out a price at which you would still be happy.

• Advertisement

The fact reminds these houses will remain in legal limbo a long time. They will not be available to rent.

The state will not be able to clear out a house in legal limbo and refurbish it to their required standards and rent it. There's a massive amount of obstacles to that. It's not viable.

Even the changes to Fair Deal only enable people to sell. It does nothing to help the rental supply.

Maybe if the house was put up for sale, a superhero landlord could swoop in and buy that already existing house and solve the country's housing problem by using their expertise to figure out how to put it on daft.ie. Rental stock up by one.

What is your issue with my proposal anyway? It would not be compulsory and only provides an incentive to those who want to, or are able, to rent the houses out. If you didn't want to avail of it you wouldn't have to. You haven't actually given me a good reason against it in principle - except for the fact that you yourself would not want to be involved in it. Not everything revolves around you though.

FYI, the house is not in legal limbo. It's title will be fully owned by the person in care while they are alive.

yet again - you fail to even understand the very basics of Ward of Court - when this is awarded you do not have control - the courts do. So any decision which is made is made by the court - you can petition but you do not have a choice. So again - you are talking pure nonsense.

As for 'making a contribution' ... .my mother is making more than a contribution - I've outlined the actual figures - you choose to ignore these type of posts.

Also - where is the equity - someone who doesn't work a day in their life, living on social welfare and in a social house will have the state contribute 100% to their nursing home care. But when someone pays for their own you want the state to be able to also milk their assets which have been paid for.

Your argument is nonsense and at this stage you are just trolling

Please clarify who this "you" is when you refer to Ward of court.

Are you referring to the incapacitated person or the "relative"?

If it is the former, they are incapacitated. So I presume you mean the latter. If it is the latter then it is legally nothing to do with them

The sick persons assets can provide for their care. That is what they are for. Expectant beneficiaries may prefer that they only took 20% or 10% rather than the 22.5% for example, but that is irrelevant. They are the property of the sick person and theirs alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This thread is a mess. I don't have time to review it now, but I intend to do so later.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to significantly de-personalise your posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement