Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I'm finding it funny how this was brought in as a play fair for the supermarkets, yet all the deals are still in the supermarkets and the pubs are jacking up prices as normal. I was away there the weekend in Austria, its only till you walk into a Spar shop over there that you realise how much we where previously sky high before any MUP and are now thanks to MUP reaching x3 x4 times the price of some items vs mainland Europe, I looked at a 6 pack of Heno bottles 330ml in SV yesterday, 12€, they had 500ml bottles in Austria in a pack of 6 for 6/7€ and minus the stupid saloon swinging gates and a boxed off section in the shop. We are been governed by morons.

As a BA if flying from Austria, they have 2x1lt Bottle of Smirnoff and Bacardi for 31€.

I had thought about offering to collect spirits for people in this thread at cost price for people in my local area in Dublin before heading over, but totally forgot and wasn't sure of the practicality of it, but we can bring back 8lts from within the EU. Is it feasible to do something like that on this thread for people heading away for weekends here and there to collect a bottle or two for people on the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tried mybooze.eu as a bit of a group buy with a couple of friends, Ill work out the numbers later but 100% success, basically got us back to pre-MUPpet pricing no hassle, in fact way better seeing as we're now buying 1L bottles for what were previously 70cl prices, cant complain at all, free minibar bottle of peach shnaps and a nice Jack Daniels glass in the box aswell, no customs or anything, great site.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dingaan

Good to read that there is still some success via MyBooze.

What was the size of the order? How many bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

About €400 split between 2 houses delivered by UPS in Limerick, about a dozen bottles in each, nothing more expensive than a liter of JW Green Label. The rest was a collection of random vodkas and whiskeys in the €15-20 a liter range, no research was done or anything, just whatever caught our eye was thrown in the cart.

I have a ridiculous amount of alcohol in my house atm, I need to unsubscribe from this thread 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was only thinking this morning, MUP and last year the vouchers being stopped both caused me to buy a sh1t load more booze than I ever would dream of buying. I could genuinely open a pub for a night and nobody would go home sober 😂🤣

on top of that, these measures implemented to curtail drinking………. Well I’m definitely drinking a hell of a lot more now, 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's reminiscent of when pub / off licence sales were banned on Good Friday. Result = lots of people went mad at house parties and they'd be practically queueing around the block at the offie the evening before. Buying loads too "just in case" they run out when they can't get more. Would they have drunk as much that day if the pubs and off-licences had been open - no. It'd just be another Friday on a bank holiday weekend, which is what it's become now.

Same as the aul "closing time drink up" - get a couple of pints in quick as you can, and maybe some shots too, as they'll be chucking you out in half an hour - along with everyone else in all the other pubs. All drunk, hungry and looking for chips and a taxi at exactly the same time. What could possibly go wrong with that genius plan?

Are the powers that be ever going to realise that restrictions on alcohol are counter-productive, the more you try and make it hard to get, or even hard to hear about (advertising) then the greater the illicit pleasure in evading the hurdles the busybodies have put in your path.

Over-18s should be able to buy alcohol whenever they like and not pay a ridiculous price for it either. If things get any more stupid then poitin will take off in a big way - don't these people study history at all?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Dunnes. 20% off wine and champagne

I did notice last week in Dunnes that all of the wines which would have been below MUP with a 20% reduction were off the shelves.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Put your address up and a few of us will call around and help you with a tidy up and such 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

I completely agree that MUP turns people completely opposite . I recently had a neighbour visiting , we usually drink a beer together and talk about the world. After the introduction of MUP we spoke the complete 2 hours he was here about alcohol! BUT ! I would not go too public about deliveries from overseas here. I agree that it is an act of self defence . The Charm and the Cruelty of our little Island is that the public works are insufficient and badly organised. It starts withe the TD you vote for and ends with the Council Clerk who organises the filling of the pot -holes. But if the public eye gets to interested in some type of deliveries from over seas, some guy out there might take his hand out of his pocket just to prove that his wages are justified! My advise is : KEEP A LOW PROFILE ABOUT IT! protect the others.

Post edited by La Madame on

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Speaking of Good Friday. We had the whole country arriving at Limerick City to watch, or claim to watch, Munster play.

Yeah that was crazy. If the law was stupid then it should have been repealed for everyone. If the law wasn't stupid, it should have been enforced for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just picked up 8 cans of 500ml 4.2% Prazsky for €10 in my local off-license in D15 (one of the name chains of off-licences). Should be €1.66 under MUP.

Flashed priced, and best before 31/08/22 so I guess it's more of a case of using a sunny day to get rid of medium-aged stock rather than the start of a rebellion by the market.

Won't post the name of the offy which might get them into trouble, but happy to PM anyone who wants it (unless I recognise you as one of the MUP-is-good puritans)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It's cheap plonk.

It's certainly not in any way shape or form a €20 bottle of wine.

My local Sainsbury's has it at £6 on promotion. Usual price is £8.

Tesco do the same crap here in NI. Double the price and then make it a customer think they are getting a reduction when it is reduced to what normal stores charge anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Put in another order on MyBooze.eu (just 2 slabs of Paderborner). Will update the thread how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭con747

I see shipping has increased from €17.89 to €19.98 now. A sign of the times.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

2 slabs ordered from my booze on Monday and delivered Friday.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Hoboo

If you read back that’s what I said. But plonk? Seriously, that’s ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lidl

From Thursday 31st.

Tuborg 8x 500ml cans €12.65.

(that's €1.58 per can, it is 4% so that is rock bottom MUP price)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It's £8 in Sainsbury's. It is half decent plonk. Quite a heavy red, but as good or as bad as any other mass produced wine that sells at £6-£8 (or €10 in the south)

It is in no way shape or form a €20 bottle.

Funny, the standard price in Tesco up here is £8.

You are being codded if you think it's a bargain at €10. It simply is a half decent €10 bottle that should be no more than €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SteM

Cool. You've said basically the same thing in 2 posts now so you've put your point across. Maybe drop it now? If someone is happy to pay €10 then it's up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I took a spin up to lidl Newry this past week but the place had been nearly picked clean of wine in the £4 category in boxes. Empty bottom shelves! And much amusement on the checkout😁There were only the 13.5% and 14% south African reds left, metlot and cab sauv. Bit too strong for my liking but nearly half the price of down south. I figure it's well worth it to me a few times a year but will go earlier in the morning before the hoards from the South clear it out. Petrol was around €25 return. tolls €4. Savings €100 plus.

I put in my first order on mybooze.eu on Tuesday. It came to just over €150. I was tracking it and just got a notification that it is out for delivery today by UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭bassy

Guys does anyone know if UPS work and deliver on Saturdays??.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Order status this morning is "This package is being held for a future delivery date." not sure if this is a reason for concern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think the last few people who ordered from it were nabbed by Customs. It's a pain tbh. Was locking forward to another few slabs of Bitburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

4 slabs ordered last week and delivered this Wednesday. Including the delivery each can works out at 1.75 EUR but good quality beers I have to say.

Packaging was very good and they split the order into 2 boxes. Will keep ordering from them for as long as customs are leaving me alone lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

The more you guys shout about your imports from the rooftop the less likely it will last.

Hopfen und Malz , Gott erhalts.

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

Advertisement