Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Does anyone have a recent Satellite pic of either Ukrainka or Engles air bases? It would be interesting to see have any of heavy bombers have been forward deployed. They're definitely not in Kaliningrad, or we would already have intercept pics. I know that TU-160 Blackjacks were firing cruise missiles from Russian and Belarusian airspace without crossing into Ukraine. If these heavy bombers are still at their home bases, it would be a clue to NATO that Putin's talk of a Nuclear strike is all hot wind. However, if they have been scattered around to Forward Bases, then the opposite could be true. Much the same way that the USAF wasted no time in forward deploying B-52's and B-2's to RAF Fairford. ( my brother lives beside Fairford and he has seen B2's taking off at stupid-o-clock some mornings.) Here's some pics I screenshotted from Earth of Ukrainka. Full of Bear Bombers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Or they are rightly treated as belligerents who are threatening world peace

I believe there is now a case for Russia being targeted to neutralise its nuclear arsenal and then taken down by conventional or non conventional means. It took similar action to stop the Japanese in WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Unfortunately, the Russians do not just have all their nukes stored in one location. They're dispersed across many places in a variety of different delivery methods. U.S intelligence seems pretty good, but I doubt that even it would know where all of Russia's nuclear devices are at any one time. It seems to me that if you were to target Russia's nukes, you'd want to do it in one highly coordinated, simultaneous and all-encompassing way where the aim was achieved pretty much without the Russians even knowing what had happened. Anything less would run the risk of making the Ruskies trigger happy.

Yes agreed that's what I was getting at. And whether neutralising Russian nuclear capability could be done via targeted hacking or other means remains to be known.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm beginning to wonder have I switched spolier tags on by mistake? Are my posts written in invisible ink? What did I literally just write in my last post and have stood by this view since the get go?

my feelings on this war and Russia and putin are, or should be quite bloody clear by now. I think putin is an autocratic and imperialistic and yes facist(as that's the oh noes! Twtterati yardstick de jour, cos simple gets sucked up) wanker pining for the old days of the USSR which he watched up close and personal fall on its arse. His girlfriend dumped him and he's still whinging about it thirty years later. An old man hankering for a past that only existed in his head, like every old man who thinks "it was better in my day", but this old man has the power to try to revisit his old girlfriend, even if he has to fúcking rape her. And that's what he's doing right now. He's a pirate, a mafia don over an entire country and her people.

And from that you read fascination and admiration? Really? It does seem that if you don't slavishly drape yourself in Yellow and Blue and childishly fingerpaint putin as a mad little Hitler and no more you're wandering too far off script for far too many. Of course the irony is lost that this is exactly how the same putin and his cronies paint Ukriane and Ukrainians to Russians, got them to drape themselves in White Blue and Red, increasingly in coffins and used as their excuse for this war. Human's nature indeed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

It would have to be other means than hacking, I think. You hear these stories about a small number of U.S. military facilities being run off of unnetworked DOS machines for stability and security. Russian nuclear sites could be the same. Getting at all of Russia's nukes in one fell swoop would surely be the most daring clandestine operation of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I mean aside from anything else the territory of Russia is absolutely enormous. Who would be willing to bet that we knew the location of every single ICBM silo, every single nuclear capable submarine or ship, or even mobile ICBMs sitting in caves buried in the sides of mountains somewhere?

Let's just try to sort Ukraine out if we can and take the rest as it comes; hoping that the Russian people find a desire to engage with the world without having to constantly threaten everyone and anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Some good news to start everyone's morning (if you're supporting Ukraine anyway):

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

If the Ukrainians are now destroying Russian ships, as seems very likely....the humiliation is complete. There isn't a single branch of Russian military that can operate freely a month into war. No sir superiority, ground troops being minced up and navy being hit. FFS Vlad pull out now before they actually chase you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

He will put the pressure on you to do more. This has been his theme. Using global public's anger and leveraging it against governments. It's been a bit OTT at times, but the man was and perhaps still is facing annihilation - so all is forgiven over his brazen style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

I respect your position and you also explain yourself, etc. it’s refreshing when someone like you give different perspectives as to what might/ has happened. But, IMO You are basing your position/ arguments on president. Eg It took years for the South African sanctions to be effective The current situation is totally, totally unprecedented. WHY . Because :-

(1) when was the last time one sovereign country invaded another sovereign country and for no obvious reason. Yes Putin has come up with loads of reasons but he can come up with any reason to justify his actions no matter how silly/illogical they are. A senior Russian official , recently said , in response to all the lies about no intention invading Ukr in any shape or form, that the reason was due to changed circumstances was that the Ukr was building up forces to attack Donbas and it had to head it off - even though , during the period of all the lies - from ambassadors , etc- it was building up a massive force on the UKR border

(2) the attacked sovereign, so far, has not fired even one bullet over the border

(3) the quality/ quantity of sanctions are UNPRECIDENTED this time and are being ratcheted up as time goes on . US , etc, reviewing current sanctions re loopholes to increase their effectiveness

(4) The ‘coming together of the international community , in an active way And with all types of military/ non military aid is UNPRECIDENTED eg Soverign countries being very proactive re housing refugees, EU, NATO

(5) this war and all of the above is being played out in real-time precisely because of ICT and how advanced it is. Previous wars were at a time when ICT was not as developed.

(6) most SPECIAL OPERATION MISSIONS /wars ‘ slowly develop over time, THIS ONE developed so fast and the way it developed that we have all been taken aback with the speed of things eg the number of refugees/ displaced people, the multi pronged attack Size of build up of RU army on border., number of deaths - All being done in real-time and in front of our eyes

So it’s hard to know how it’s going to pan out as there is NO PRECIDENT to help us to get a general direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hard to believe we're a full month into the invasion of Ukraine,and ukraine still controls the majority of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Why are we still entertaining Russian embassies/diplomats in the West ? They should all be kicked out and sent back to the motherland.

Watching Sky interview sycophantic puppets talk pure $hit is infuriating. These "diplomats" shouldn't be given the airtime to talk nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tens of thousands died to do it, the Japanese lost that war the second they hit Pearl Harbor, were fighting to the last man as the Allies got closer to Japan herself and they didn't have nuclear weapons. They didn't surrender after the first atomic bomb flattened Hiroshima and 70,000 people were killed instantly, thought the Allied surrender terms showed weakness on the Allied side and only "saw sense" after Nagasaki was flattened and 30,000 people were killed instantly.

And those bombs were minnows in today's nuclear terms. Today there are "small" tactical nukes that you can fire from the back of a glorified lorry that are more powerful. There is no way to neutralise Russia's nuclear arsenal, nor America's or France's or the UK's or China's for that matter. I think today because we've only seen nukes going off in grainy films from the 1950's or Hollywood CGI, I really think people can forget the truly horrific magnitude of these weapons. If Russia was only able to detonate ten of the six thousand devices in their arsenal that's ten cities and hundreds of thousands of men, women and children obliterated in an instant and hundreds of thousands more men, women and children injured and dying for years. Unimaginable is too small a word.

And it's one reason why I don't think putin and certainly the men in the nuclear chain below him would order such a thing, or follow that order.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Anyone who believes an all out nuclear war is required, or is even a thinkable option, which is what the above will result in, needs to turn off all forms of media with the upmost urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I imagine a time will come where that will happen to some extent.

But while there is citizens of other countries in Russia and some of these citizens are been snatched and imprisoned, it's wise to keep diplomatic channels open for their sakes.

The argument would be that if we kick out theirs, then they kick out ours, making the situation of nationals that much more precarious.

I didnt advocate for "all out nuclear war" if you check btw

We should kick out anything Russian untill that lunatic Putin stops the war,same with the chinese for supporting it.

Their media can cry as much as they want about the evil west

We need to become less dependent on these countries,cause we are only feeding their genocide and war machine.

Their propagada is made to hate us,let em,but without our money,see how long they last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

First time since that twat Gormley that I might be on a winner for still driving a petrol fueld tax collection station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I wonder if the US has a submarine in the Black Sea providing position, course, speed and classification info... Maybe it was close enough to enough the shore for the Ukrainians to acquire it anyway. Do we know how many more of those Alligators are in the area? Will Vlad's little regatta off Odessa have to be cancelled now?

Agreed. But not a completely impossible scenario. And agreed it would have to be clandestine. I reckon the Japanese had no idea what was about to happen on the 6th of August 1945. I would also think there are now other possibilities than simply lobbing a load of nukes at known Russian silo or submarine locations and hoping to get them all.

Oh I hear you. We're in some uncharted teritory here alright, especially on your points from 3 to 6. On your point 1; Russia/putin alone has invaded the sovereign nations of Georgia and Chechnya for no obvious reasons. Well they gave "reasons", but the reality was for the same reasons putin's invaded Ukraine. To take out opposition to Russia, install a puppet and claw back a tragic semblance of his beloved USSR. America with a few of her allies have invaded a fair number of sovereign nations too. Their "reasons" for Iraq in particular were bogus in both cases, especially the second time out. Their real reason was oil and demonstrating "shock and awe" to the world.

I do think the biggest differences are your number 5. The real time aspect of it on ICT(I had to look that up 😁). Another is that let's face it it's happening "closer to home", rather than happening to Brown people from an "alien" culture, in whose faces the West doesn't see so much of a reflection, or enough of a reflection to care so widely and vigorously. Plus Russia is more sanctionable. Big country, small economy and if they didn't have gas and oil those sanctions would be even more complete. If America did similar in say Mexico, the UN et al would rightly lose their shít over it and strong words would be very much in play, but the world would be much slower in applying the same level of sanctions nearly so quickly. Ditto for China and Taiwan. Sad to say the world couldn't afford it.

I seriously wonder how much sleep he's getting and suspect that the answer is not nearly enough for the responsibility he carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It certainly will reduce their ability to launch a landing to capture Odessa.

We know that one ship is destroyed/sunk but what we don't know is if the other two ships that were docked beside it suffered damage.

If they did then the Russian Capacity in the Black Sea is diminished even more.

What I don't understand is these ships docked days ago surely they troops and equipment they carried disembarked days ago. Were they filling up with war booty or something? Because it doesn't make tactical sense to me that they stay tied up in an area that they could be attacked easily and I'm only an observer from afar with no military experience at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That's just North Korea jumping up and down to try and get some attention....

Two can play at the we-can-expand-our-definition-of-an-attack game. 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

With their form the Ukrainians would probably turn up with 4m lances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement