Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

@joeguevara

Since you've read some 'conclusive' studies could you clarify exactly what is meant by the conclusion that 'transwomen don't have an advantage', in respect of the following point :

There are 2 elements to sporting success

1. The innate talent one has for the sport, honed by practising/training for that sport
    2. In physical sports, the physical attributes one possess, which aids point 1

Is the conclusive conclusion you speak of referring to point 1 or point 2? Or both? I admit I haven't gone though the studies you've linked to me earlier with a fine tooth comb. Actually, that was just an opinion piece on a report, but not the report.

I can see how the conclusion could be valid for point 1, but not point 2. The devil is in the detail.

In case that's not clear, here's a real world example. Serena Williams may very well be just as talented and skilled as Rodger Federer. She may even be more talented and skilled than Fed. However point 2 would/could swing the difference as to who would win. And who wins in sport is so utterly the point.

It would be quite brave of you to say physical differences between men and woman are irrelevant. If that were the case in sport it would be the case generally in life. All those men pumping iron in the gym, all those muscles, but doesn't give them any advantage physically over anyone at all, even other men.

edit: typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It makes perfect sense as you’ve been arguing that segregation in sports is based upon biology and the expectation of women’s inferior capacity to men in human activities which were created by men, developed by men, and for the vast, vast majority of human activities, are still governed by men, who called these activities ‘sports’.

You’re also arguing inevitable consequences which just haven’t been borne out by evidence from human history in other domains where women were also assumed to be inferior to men due to their reduced capacity as a consequence of assumptions about differences in biology and their effects on human ability or indeed inability to participate, let alone excel in any given activity other than reproduction and domestication.

In short, you’re making exactly the same arguments which were made over 200 years ago in order to maintain the status quo as it was then. Thankfully for everyone in society, attitudes have progressed in that time, not through proofs or scientific discoveries, but by rules, what we call laws, being changed to prohibit discrimination and protect everyone in society from discrimination and allow for their participation in public life as equals.

A small number of sports organisations have a bit of catching up to do is all. It won’t be the first time they’ve had to change the rules as to who is or isn’t permitted to participate when the only thing at risk wasn’t the participants safety, but the organisations income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you've made that point a couple times, how does letting trans women compete with women negatively affect any organisations income?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

men are permitted to do things women aren’t - the rules for men and women are different, whereas there’s nothing to stop the rules from being the same for all participants regardless of their sex or gender

The men's javelin must be at least 800g and 2.6m-2.7m long, the women's javelin must weigh 600g and be 2.2m-2.3m long

the men's Olympic record is 90.57 meters, while the women's Olympic record is 71.53 meters

In Shot Put, the 'shot' is 7.26kg/16lb for men, 4kg/8.8lb for women.

the men's record broke 20 meters in 1960. currently 23.37 after having been 23.12 from 1990 till last year

women's record broke 20 meters in 1969. currently 22.63, since 1987

how do you see that going for women if they had to compete with men, and play by the same rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It’s a very good point. But I will say that I never said anything was conclusive, i said that all of the studies so far are inconclusive as to advantages of transgender people over others but I take your point.

But I don’t fully agree with your point 2. You are suggesting (and correct me if I’m wrong) that strength aids point 1. Firstly as far as I know lean muscle mass is lost to a large degree after 2 years of hormone therapy. Secondly the hormone replacement is an inhibitor of strength and muscle. Transgender women are in no way as strong as they would have been if they didn’t transition but in any case for most sports involved testosterone limits exist so they would not have a fair advantage in sports like weightliftkn, sprinting etc . Also it is clear that strength and muscle is not always an advantage e.g in golf huge muscle bound guys don’t always drive furthest, slight football players can be way better than beasts etc. I will admit height can be an advantage and that won’t change.

but I suppose until there is actual long period studies to determine what so many people just automatically believe it’s not fair just to completely isolate people mainly because they just don’t like transgender people. Again the participation is under 3% and apart from very few outliers transfer women are not running away with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You didn't answer my question.

Regardless, I'm not getting into that whole testosterone reduction thing. I find that all completely beside the point.

To be brutally honest, I think all the surgical/medical thing is what is at the root of all these controversies.

It was initially done as a superficial measure to help people with gender dysphoria, to help them psychologically, so they could get some comfort in themselves exuding the outward appearance of being the gender they think they are. I think all that was a mistake, because it's not possible to change a sex into it's opposite.

Hypothetically, let's say there was no surgical or medical treatment available. Would you still argue, that a born male, who is completely male, should compete with women, because they are trans and believe they are a woman?

Compete in what? Running, swimming. Grand. Like how many transgender people actually compete in sport. A minuscule amount. But that minuscule amount has caused a backlash of hate and vitriol against a group of people that don’t even compete in it. Twitter is obsessed with it, huge swathes of people are denigrating transgender people, (I do admit that a considerable amount of transgender advocates are equally as toxic), comedians are doing whole specials on them, Graham linehan devoted years of his life and thousands of tweets trolling transgender people, like for what, nothing.

There has literally been no impact in female sports. If people were really worried about the adverse impact in sports they would be discussing doping etc but that is dwarved By the amount of airtime transgender in sport evokes.

To answer your question, if a tiny amount of people want to compete in amateur athletics or swimming where winning is at the end of the day meaningless (and the vast majority of people don’t win anyway) let them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I'd disagree. Its disingenuous to try and claim the issues here solely relate to sport. I'd also question the idea of this only being an "argument" rather than a multifaceted discussion which with a range of issues relating to men and woman and society in general. Its certainly not helpful to try to paint this discussion into a corner of "only sport" or use a reductio ad absurdum of "not liking a particular human being"

There are many wider issues relating to the current debate, including biological females being forced to share certain spaces with biological males whether those are toilets, changing rooms, prisons etc or indeed the impacts on women who face issues with competition from trans women (biological males) to education based on scholarships or positive discrimination programmes or any of the other issues

And indeed there is the issues relating to sport and competition and with it health and safety and the rights of those who participate in all sports both professional and non professional

And lastly but not least people don't need to have a personal interest in a topic to discuss these issues and their repercussions

If someone is a danger to others in a prison they should be segregated and not be a threat to any person. Being a transgender person does not make them any more of a threat to others than the other criminals there.

Also, what is so abhorrent to you that a transgender person is housed with other women. Do you think that you do the crime you should only have the pleasure to see females.

As for made share toilets..like where? God help us if in the next cubicle is someone that is transgender.

As for changing rooms..where…like do you think transgender women are ogling as you get dressed. Should lesbians be excluded to. What is so wrong?

As for these sports based scholarships..well seeing as participation in sports by transgender is under 3% and the vast majority of those are not elite and not taking every valley high girls bursary. But for the tiny amount that might let’s give out about the whole lot of them because they are wrong,

People are entitled to discuss whatever their fancy is without or without personal interest. But say it as it is, it’s not about sport, it’s just anti transgender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't have a subscription so I can't read the article, but it looks like Sonia O'Sullivan is taking a strong line.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sonia-o-sullivan-transgender-athletes-cannot-be-allowed-in-women-s-sport-1.4834586

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Her position is staunchly defending women's sport but she argues that somebody needs to address this question properly. You don't need a sub BTW, just clear out your history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

So you agree then, the discussion is not just about sport?

Btw where was it stated in my comment about "a person of danger to others"?

The issue detailed is of biological males / females being placed in what are designated and segregated prison facilities

I note an attempted to inflame the discussion with additional descriptors not used eg "abhorrent". Again the issue is designated segregated spaces.

If you believe that all accommodation should be co-ed then that's another area of discussion. The fact is segregated accommodation exists by reason of personal preference but also in places like prison on general health and safety grounds.

The same with toilets and other intimate settings where women or men may not feel comfortable or safe sharing with biological males females and also where men or women have a religious prohibition on doing do.

Again issues like scholarships is just one of the many issues involved. And where just one one woman loses a place to a biological male, then you going on about "3%" is fairly irrelevant to that one individual

You say

People are entitled to discuss whatever their fancy is without or without personal interest. But say it as it is, it’s not about sport, it’s just anti transgender

Again disingenous to paint all discussion of this issue as "anti transgender", when the issue notably includes those who are not transgender namely men and woman who you have simply disregarded as being part of that discussion. It could just as easily be argued for example that stance is anti woman.

I note you say that you are human rights lawyer. So is this discussion work or are you claiming personal interest and by extension that no one else can contribute "without personal interest" else you label it "anti transgender"?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And there we have it. We have come full circle back to this absolute scutter that the only reason women don't run as fast, jump as high, throw as far is because the patriarchy is keeping them down. Men in general undoubtedly do little to help women's sports in a commercial sense, but they are not sneaking out to put lead in people's shoes.

Women are athletically inferior to men. There is nothing judgemental or wrong in that statement, it is simply a statement of fact. It is in fact, the absolute height of patronisation to suggest otherwise, as if women have it in their power to be faster and stronger but just aren't quite meeting expectations. It is utterly pointless to discuss anything with someone who point blank refuses to acknowledge that.

You can choose to put your own spin on what I said all you want; it doesn’t change what I actually said. I’m not expecting you to acknowledge any patriarchy or whatever else nonsense because I’ve said nothing of the sort. I’ve not made any point about men in general, it’s you who keeps trying to draw comparisons between men and women among the general population, and from those comparison extract conclusions about a different set of athletes entirely!

You’ll no doubt convince plenty of people who already agreed with you that you have even the slightest interest in maintaining integrity in either sports or science, when it’s abundantly clear you couldn’t care less about maintaining the integrity of either when you attempt to portray your position as the inevitable conclusion of research you’ve never done, using data that doesn’t exist! I’d suggest leaving that sort of nonsense to talking heads like Ross Tucker as if he were the only sports scientist the world has ever known. Relying upon the opinions of a single scientist who shares your own personal beliefs is about as legitimate a pursuit of knowledge as phrenology.

The argument has nothing to do with women being inferior to men or whatever else, it has everything to do with the right to participate, nothing to do with the right to win. Everyone should have the right to participate, and your argument about who has the right to win is simply irrelevant.

The “level playing field” nonsense is a myth. There is no such thing as a level playing field in competition. It’s the nature of competition to produce human beings who are a coordination of an infinite number of characteristics and factors which they use to increase their chances of winning. They’re not guaranteed to win, nobody is, so your whole argument about “all the men would win, all the women would lose”, has no legitimacy.

If you want an example of going full circle, it’s assuming testosterone is responsible for the overwhelming discrepancy in athletic performance between the sexes, and then battering the data until it fits your hypothesis. That’s not science. I don’t know what to call it other than an ill-thought out attempt to justify discrimination and prejudice to try and exclude people from participating in sports.

It has nothing to do with protecting women or maintaining the integrity of women’s sports, which similarly as you made the point before about men’s sports not being threatened by women; similarly women’s sports aren’t threatened by men, not even the tiny minority of men who have abused women and girls who wanted to participate in sports and knew that if they went public about it they would be risking their futures, and the organisations which now claim to want to protect women’s sports don’t know the meaning of the word integrity when they were looking to silence victims of abuse and protect the perpetrators, because it was more important to keep up appearances.

I have no doubt the irony of their own arguments against the participation of people who are transgender in sports, isn’t lost on them. It’s not protecting from people who are transgender anyone needs at all, it’s protecting from the very people who claim to be protecting them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There are many wider issues relating to the current debate, including biological females being forced to share certain spaces with biological males whether those are toilets, changing rooms, prisons etc or indeed the impacts on women who face issues with competition from trans women (biological males) to education based on scholarships or positive discrimination programmes or any of the other issues

Mod - And we're back to this again.

Can we stay on topic please, or has this thread reached the end of its useful life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If sports were not segregated then women would have little success at any decent level.

If men for example could fight in Katie Taylors weight class then nobody would know Katie Taylor.

An Olympic and World champion and a hero and inspiration to young Irish women would be a nobody.

Not at all I think your points have merit and explained clearly. And I do think in some ways it makes sense. Apologies if I over emphasised with the use of abhorrent, that was unintentional but probably a bit heavy handed from me.

I do think using the term biological male to describe a transgender person as unnecessary though. But I see your point.

With regards to personal interest, I’m the last person who should even be involved in this discussion but I like to see both side. My Human rights law was focused on the law of armed conflict and war crimes rather than gender equality so just an observer really.

But hopefully that’s made my side a bit clearer and I’m no way meant to come across as belittling anyone else’s opinion.

I see your point and not au fait for eligibility criteria for transgender in boxing. But on the flip side there is the first trans man on professional boxing went out and won.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/676586360/a-trans-man-steps-into-the-ring-and-wins?t=1648119408306

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fair play to Sonia for taking this position, she is correct this does need to be addressed. Kaitlyn Jenner (formerly Bruce Jenner) also says that Transgender individuals should not compete in the sports of the sex they have transitioned too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Quite alarming on twitter the amount of people who are willing to call Sonia, perhaps our greatest female athlete, transphobic.

Is it easier to say these things on twitter?

"I do think using the term biological male to describe a transgender person as unnecessary though."

It would be completely unnecessary if it wasn't for the fact that we are told that a woman can now describe transpeople who are biologically male.

I know you’ll disagree, but you’re not being forced to agree with or accept anything. It’s just being petty and it comes across as petty to be making up new terms to sneer at people who literally have never done anyone any harm. It’s moronic behaviour at it’s more high profile levels, no different than the anti-theist types and haughty theists coming up with terms to wind each other up.

I don’t use the prefix ‘trans’ in normal conversation when referring to either women or men, so having to constantly use it is in my view unnecessary, I just don’t bother as I really don’t care for the distinction, and that’s all it is - a distinction based upon social conventions. Arguing that it’s based upon biology is pure nonsense, it’s patently obvious “bite-sized science” from twitter, etc, no different than Greta Thunberg declaring we should listen to “the science”, as if that’s actually in any way a useful or credible argument.

I don't usually use the prefix trans either.

I refer to men and women in my normal day life and it is roundly understood that I am talking about biological men and biological women.

It is necessary to use it here, in topics specifically about trans people, because some people don't accept that for the VAST majority of people, when they are referring to women, they are not referring to biological men who identify as women.

Would it be fair to say in your normal everyday life you don’t encounter people who are transgender, and neither do the people you’re talking to? What you’re arguing is that context matters, and I agree, it does - so in the context of this particular conversation, it makes no sense whatsoever to refer to anyone by their physiology - they’re not being referred to in biological terms, because biology refers to the study of life, and I’m absolutely certain the people we’re discussing are a form of life!

It’s similar to the way in which Sonia O’ Sullen was referred to earlier as probably the greatest Irish athlete of all time - arguably in the context of the greatest Irish athletes of all time, she is one of the greatest Irish athletes of all time. The fact that she blamed a poor performance at a crucial point in her career on a grape, makes little sense to anyone who isn’t familiar with just how much their diet is crucial to an athletes performance, but to anyone who is familiar with the effects something so seemingly insignificant can have on an athletes performance, it makes perfect sense.

It’s somewhat ironic that given O’ Sullivan’s expressed opinion on this topic, that she would also lament the idea that the art of racing is being lost in favour of racing against the clock and being able to predict the outcomes. She absolutely has a point in the second instance, not so much the first -

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sonia-o-sullivan-are-we-losing-the-art-of-racing-in-chasing-times-at-all-costs-1.4810304

What she’s doing is similar to what Navratilova is doing when she opined on the future of women’s tennis, neglecting to realise that it’s future depends not on how predictable it becomes, but on maintaining the element of unpredictability which makes the sport an enjoyable spectacle which inspires young people to want to participate in, because the memorable moments in sports are what people remember, not the race times and records or any of the rest of it, they remember who ran a great race -

https://m.independent.ie/sport/szabos-sour-grapes-fail-to-take-gloss-off-golden-girl-26178301.html

And they remember performances which the athletes themselves would rather didn’t overshadow their achievements in sports -

https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/a-giant-chocolate-mess-the-inglorious-inevitability-of-poo-in-professional-sport/news-story/1d93defc1aeeddd70f4f1eb6eb094504

Trust Fox News Australia for it’s absolute comedy gold 😂😂

I fail to see how that ties into in the case of speaking about biological sex when talking about a transgender athlete in the opposite sexes category.

Because the use of the term ‘biological’ makes no sense in the context in which you’re referring to sex. All sex is biological, whether it’s male or female, and there are people who do reject binary conceptions of sex in favour of a more comprehensive definition of sex. It’s all science.

People can cherry-pick whatever they wish to suit themselves, the problem is when they apply their standards to other people who do not share their standards. It’s why your designation and categorisation of athletes is rejected by athletes who do not share your standards, but instead cherry pick standards which they argue are fair and appropriate and not a violation of their dignity.

Pretending you don’t know exactly what you’re doing in referring to anyone as biological males or biological females is fairly obvious in it’s intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Homelander

Is the goal here to wrap up utter drivel in linguistic waffle in an attempt to make said drivel sound more credible?

It isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So we now need a study to "prove" that men are faster, stronger, etc, etc than women? Is that really where we are at.

Is it ok to start calling people fact-phobic or reality-phobic?

My intent is absolutely obvious.

People have said that under the definition of woman, transwomen (biologically male) people are included and in the definition of men, transmen (biologically female) are included under that definition.

• Advertisement

So what though? People say all sorts of things and express all sorts of opinions, it doesn’t mean anything unless there is something to support their beliefs. Your argument is like saying that because some people say something stupid, you’re going to associate anyone who shares characteristics in common with them with that person’s stupid opinions, and treat them accordingly.

That approach is fine on a personal level, but it doesn’t work at the level of determining policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

Whatever you think about 'woke'

Lia Thomas is partly a bloke;

She should not be allowed to go swimmin'

Against those who are fully ciswimmin.

I'm not sure I follow you OEJ.

If the word woman now includes biological males, then when I am referring to only biological women, I do need to use the prefix.

I think most people, and I really do mean most people, will understand who you’re referring to without it being necessary to use the terms either trans, or biological. They can determine it from the context in which you’re using the term woman, or women, or whatever the case may be, and they can get bogged down in the nitty-gritty nonsense of how to define woman, or they can make allowances and refrain from being obnoxious.

I dunno ‘bout you but in my everyday life I’m often biting my tongue when someone uses the term ‘cis’ or refers to me as a ‘biological male’, it’s cringe inducing nonsense which I outright reject, but I’m prepared to overlook it while they’re prepared to overlook my many, many gaffes which likely are equally cringe-inducing for them 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think you entirely missed what I answered. I said replace the Male category with an open category. If we accept your figures and round to the nearest decimal point then approximately 50% of the population would be likely to be competing in this category, as it would include all male athletes (male as defined by either gender or sex), along with anyone else who wishes to compete (of any gender or sex). That to me would be preferable to a third category for trans / intersex athletes for exactly the reasons you have outlined, which I agree with. It would be a fairly empty category. I don't see why that wouldn't work for all the other sports you listed there, but I'm open to hearing if you think there are reasons why it wouldn't.

Thankfully, I rarely have to use it in my everyday life. But on threads like this you will have certain people who will pull you up that "actually transwomen are actually women by law". These people are also the ones who liberally use the word cis.

I think we are in agreement that it should be absolutely unnecessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Jenner seems to be a good person to listen to on this. As a former Olympian and now changed gender.

That's pretty much nonsense from start to finish. Your own build in biases seems to be preventing you from seeing reality. You've pretty much got reality upside down in your head. The entire point of categories is to give fair competition within categories. That applies to all categories, be it sex, age, weight etc. None of it is to keep anyone down. Quite the reverse.

There are far more resources currently being put into promoting women in sports at the moment than are put into "sex testing women". You'd have to be completely blind and blinkered not to see that.

It wouldn’t work Enduro for the simple reason that it does nothing to resolve the issue of people who are not willing to agree that it’s perfectly reasonable that they should be discriminated against.

It would be like expecting that anyone should agree to being treated as unequal on some arbitrary basis as decided upon by people who wish to exclude them, and claiming that’s a fair compromise.

Just look at what was suggested by one group as a compromise for transgender athletes in swimming -

• Given Lia Thomas has apparently met the testosterone threshold as established by the 12 year old NCAA policy and has qualified to compete, we propose that she swim as an exhibition participant at the upcoming 2022 NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships. This would afford Lia the opportunity to experience competition at the highest level collegiately as a member of the U Penn women’s team, while also allowing the three women who were displaced by her qualification in three events to compete.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/texas-womens-alums-write-letter-on-lia-thomas-participation-in-ncaa-championships/

Does that sound like fair treatment if you were in the position where you were being discriminated against? I think anyone would reasonably object to that sort of expectation.

• Advertisement

Do you not realise that that is the point that those of us who wish to ensure the survival of women's sport are making. It is indeed no accident. It has been an ongoing process of raising the profile of women's sports. It's been pretty successful too in a lot of cases. Despite your claims to the contrary women's athletics, for example, is equally as prestigious as men's athletics. And, as has been pointed out to you before, there are one or two sports where the female category is more prestigious, such as gymnastics. Your arguments to the contrary are little more than misogynistic bias.

I’m neither completely blind nor blinkered, yet at least 😂

But your just declaring an opinion nonsense and based upon my own built in biases adds nothing to the discussion. The approach requires removing biases, which support discrimination.

Nobody is suggesting that all discriminatory criteria are removed, and it’s unfair to imply anyone doesn’t understand why the criteria which they have no issue with exist - they recognise that there are legitimate reasons for criteria such as age and ability and nationality and so on, as demonstrated recently when Russian athletes were permitted to participate in the Olympics on the basis that they would represent the Russian Olympic Committee, and not the Russian nation. It would have been disproportionately unfair to the individual athletes to hold them all responsible and punishable accordingly for other people’s actions.

I’m also aware that there ARE far more resources being put into women’s sports than there are put into sex texting; my point is that whatever resources are put into sex testing, should instead be put into women’s sports, because in the time since women have participated in sports and been subject to sex testing, the justification for sex testing has been shown to be supporting unfounded claims as opposed to the amount of athletes it has determined are guilty of cheating.

Again with the rubbish.

We have billions of data points from objectively measured sports results going back more than 100 years that absolutely definitively show that athletes of the male sex have a consistent performance advantage over athletes of the female sex in the vast majority of sports. There is no need to argue consequences or await them. We have a massive massive volume of data. Male versus female abilities in non-sporting areas, and their historical reasons and evolution, will not change that data, whether you like it or not.

It’s not a question of whether I like anything or not, your data is useless. It doesn’t matter that you imagine your data supports your opinions, no bias on your part of course 🙄

The data you’re using does not consider the effects of criteria outside the scope of your data. It’s just bad data being used to provide insufficient scientific evidence of an advantage that transgender athletes have over athletes who are not transgender, on the basis of assumptions made about the influence of a single criteria (testosterone) on athletic performance.

The data and what is purported to be scientific evidence has been roundly criticised for a number of reasons by numerous scientists, the evidence simply doesn’t support the claims it hypothesises, but the people who claim that it does, will carry on using it regardless in support of their already held beliefs… but no bias on their part of course 🤔

I'm sorry, but you're being extremely disrespectful to a huge amount of people, whether you realise it or not. There are many people who devote a vast amount of their time and energy to their sports to get the best results they can. Just because they don't happen to be elite professionals doesn't mean that they don't deserve the same level of fair play and respect. It's a rather horrendous attitude you appear to be showing that they don't matter. I hope that's not your intention. But it is what you are doing.

since you brought up the subject of doping, then digging in a bit would prove that to you. There have been some cases of convicted dopers even here in Ireland at a relatively low non-elite amateur level. Athletes who actually spend their money, break the rules, and possibly endanger their health, to get a better result where there will be no money or fame as a consequence. That cheating impacts the people they are competing against, even if you don't regard them as being important since they are neither professionals nor elite level.

There are plenty of people, myself included (feel free to look back on my posting record), along with Seb Coe and Sonya (since they have been referenced here recently) who absolutely discuss doping etc. An interest in fairness in sports doesn't mean we have to focus on one area to the exclusion of others. It doesn't mean we are not allowed to address one area just because other areas also exist. I'm sure in you're role as a lawyer you would think that you should be allowed to address injustice in ANY area of the law, irrespective of whether injustice exists elsewhere.

The subject matter of the thread shows there has been an impact. Sport is a zero-sum game here. A person in position N pushes everyone behind them down one place. That's fine if it is as a result of fair competition. But it is an injustice if it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Their data is useless? Is that because it goes against pretty much everything that you have been saying in this thread?

Data doesn't have bias when it comes to what we are talking about. As Enduro said, there is no bias involved when you see biological males have a performance advantage over biological females, that is just flat out fact across the board.

You are looking at testosterone as a binary reason, and skipping over the impact it has during puberty in males and what that does to their bodies. It bakes in advantages in bones, muscles and organ capacity. Taking test blockers won't change your heart or lung size, that stays the same.

• Advertisement

I think you may be confusing me with @joeguevara there Enduro in referring to my role as a lawyer. joeguevara, not to be confused with Joe Guevara, is the human rights lawyer, not me, though I do admire one Irish human rights lawyer in particular -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O'Flaherty

I reject your accusation that I’m being in any way disrespectful to anyone, let alone athletes who have trained hard and have overcome numerous obstacles to be in the position they’re in.

I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to point out that an inordinate amount of resources are dedicated to pursuing an illegitimate aim, which is the claim that without those resources being used in the means that they are, there would be a deluge of men attempting to compete with women in sports. That argument has been found to be without foundation, and the methods used have been found to be without justification, which is why they are no longer used.

The subject of the thread shows that the impact is by far and away over-stated within the context of the reasons for justifying the restrictions on transgender athletes participation in sports. I have no doubt you would rather see the thousands of amateur athletes who receive no recognition at all, would receive even a thousandth of the recognition for their achievements that Lia Thomas has for theirs, but let’s not play silly beggars over the reasons for why that is simply not the case as if sports actually are a zero sum game and the disproportionate focus on a single athlete is at the expense of all the thousands of athletes who participate in sports who receive support and recognition and aren’t interested in coming to wider public attention for accusations of cheating and being told that they don’t belong in the sport.

I don’t doubt your sincerity and commitment to sports, but that doesn’t mean that anyone who doesn’t share your opinions isn’t as equally committed to sports as you are. It simply means they don’t share your perspective. It’s already clear to them that you and many thousands more, don’t share their perspective, and if it wasn’t before, it certainly is now!

You are looking at testosterone as a binary reason, and skipping over the impact it has during puberty in males and what that does to their bodies. It bakes in advantages in bones, muscles and organ capacity. Taking test blockers won't change your heart or lung size, that stays the same.

I’m not looking at testosterone as a binary reason at all when I’m arguing that athletic performance is not nearly so simple as to be determined by a single factor which it is claimed has a greater influence on all other factors, and that rationale being used to maintain a system which existed before the means to measure the impact of testosterone existed! 😳

In consideration of the advantages though and fairness and all the rest of it, and in the interests of full disclosure this question is predicated upon my knowing the outcome of an athlete competing at international level in sports competitions who has been a lung transplant recipient to address an underlying medical condition which meant their formerly reduced lung capacity has increased considerably -

Would you argue in the same fashion that they now possess a trait which gives them a disproportionate advantage in competition and they should be excluded from participating on that basis? I don’t want you to actually answer that question as it won’t change the outcome, but what I’m pointing to is the fact that there is a difference in determining policies which have the effect of exclusion of a whole group of people on the basis of an individual trait, vs exclusion of an individual athlete on the basis that the legitimate aim is to maintain fair competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Conclusion

In this study, we confirmed that use of gender affirming hormones are associated with changes in athletic performance and demonstrated that the pretreatment differences between transgender and cis gender women persist beyond the 12 month time requirement currently being proposed for athletic competition by the World Athletics and the IOC.10 This study suggests that more than 12 months of testosterone suppression may be needed to ensure that transgender women do not have an unfair competitive advantage when participating in elite level athletic competition.

Interestingly, the study done in US AirForce (big and average age 26)) showed that trans men showed superior performance in some areas than men after a year on testosterone. It doesn't drill down into individual testosterone levels and whether they would breach current allowable levels for the substance in men's sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You are comparing apples to oranges there, my friend. There is a world of difference (as you probably already know) between taking test blockers and someone who has received a lung transplant. Not just with the invasive nature of the transplant itself, but the nature of it over all is absolutely nothing like taking test blockers or in the same realm as someone who identifies as the opposite gender.

Athletic performance (or differences between males and females) is wider than testosterone, however the impact of test in a male body through puberty is incredible. It has been listed but you have a variety of baked in differences, bones, organs, you name it (and you know it I am sure).

As it has been pointed out to you, if you want "fair" competition then let males and females compete at the same sport or game and see the differences. You can see the differences in athletics, weightlifting, soccer, boxing, MMA, tennis. You will argue that there is some advantage to males in these sports due to some sort of agenda, whereas the actual reason is just that males and females perform at different levels due to their physicality.

What in the name of god are you talking about. Are you such a narcissist that you think every post is about you? I clearly quoted the post by Joeguevara that I was responding to. It was not one of your posts. This isn't all about you and your opinions. Sorry, but that's the harsh truth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement