Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you put in the census "Time Capsule" segment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I'm the youngest of 9! not that it matters. Your full of entitlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't worry his problems will all be solved in 100 years when someone reads his time capsule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I think photographs and video footage of the current times would be important to people looking back. Thinking very long term it would be fascinating for people to see how we looked, lived and behaved in the past.

Imagine if we could see video footage of the famine or even the Middle Ages or Roman times. Actual footage of historical people like Jesus, Muhammad, King Henry the 8th, Genghis Kahn, the Pharaohs of Egypt etc.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I might say a quick hello to any future descendants. I have looked my family up on the 1901 and 1911 census returns. I doubt my great and great great grandparents ever wondered if their descendants would be looking them up on the census.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I get up when I want

Except on Wednesdays When I get rudely awakened by the dustmen

I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea And I think about leaving the house

I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too It gives me a sense of enormous well-being

And then I'm happy for the rest of the day Safe in the knowledge there will always be A bit of my heart devoted to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I assume they will simply scan the Time Capsule box? Or will someone actually type into a database what you write in it?

And if what you write is anonymous, then your ancestors won't be able to check what grandad or grandma wrote will they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I explained that i was a meat eater and and I owned my own home and car.

That this was the year propaganda took over real news and how we were the ones that let the great reset happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

Yes, the record will be a scanned image, not a transcription. It would be too laborious to transcribe handwritten entries in the time capsule box. Some people may even choose to do a drawing rather than write text. The rest of the census form is laid out with boxes to be marked, or one space per letter, in block capitals, but the time capsule box could be in ordinary handwriting.

The whole census form will be available in a hundred years time, not just the time capsule box, so the time capsule information will be linked to the relevant person or household. But unless the drawing or text entry is signed or labelled, then it might not be clear which member of the family actually wrote that part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd leave a message to myself.

"If your alive , Corner , and reading this you're very old".

• Advertisement

well, they say the first person that'll live to be 200 has already been born, so you never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Perhaps I'll set up a gmail address or website and locate a copy of the family photos there. I'll ref it in the census free text field and give the access password.

That way if the primary file gets destroyed there will be a link, and later selfish hoarders will be bypassed.

I'll add my knowledge of the family genealogy going back to the 1901, 1911 census, and info which I expect will be in later ones. I've a small amount of pre-famine info too, and some video of people born in the 19th century. This may tie up loose ends if anyone gives a ****.

Not just family, but info on friends, especially friends overseas too. Might even ref my Boards user name(s), and let them have a gander at this!

What's the current best free place to park such stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

The danger is the service most likely will not exist in 100 years.

you’re probably better off making physical copies of everything and creating your own physical time capsule and burying it, giving the GPS location.

But given that it’ll be available to anyone that uncovers it in the census release, it’s highly unlikely your descendants will ever see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

That’s interesting. Can’t wait to find out who it will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This'll be like almost all time capsules, disappointing when opened.

The game, you just lost it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Anyone know a way of transferring typed text onto the page using transfer paper of something similar?

It would allow for a smaller font and more detail. I have amassed alot of family and local history including a lot i got verbally from my late father and neighbors etc. Would be great if they could provide a service where you can voluntarily upload a file for secure storage for future generations but i guess the data storage and privacy involved would be prohibitive.

I haven't fully decided yet what to write in the box but will subdivide the space equally for each member of our household so all can decide for themselves how to use their portion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Anyone know a way of transferring typed text onto the page using transfer paper of something similar?

Photocopy? Scan? Microfiche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

I would think that the page in the census form cannot be removed to be placed in a photocopier, or printer etc. if that is what your are referring to? I just looked at the form now and it says "handwritten messages only" so i guess that is the only option it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

They meant a way of entering the text into the space on page 23 of the 24-page census form, other than writing it in by hand. Stapled or glued attachments are not allowed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Among other things, as an adoptee I'll be naming my birth parents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

To be fair, the internet was only in its infancy back then. I remember my granny telling me that they only had 7MB broadband when she was a child way back in the 1930s. And that was only because her father worked in IT. Most houses only had dial-up back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Would to know for what reason a census form wants to know (a) what time you leave for work/college how far you travel and (b) what time do you leave work/college

those questions are in there.....nosy cants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m gonna write keep my wife’s name out ya fuckin mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s the kin€ of stuff I was thinking too. We’ve been working on our family tree a bit since my mother died last year, and Ithink it would be good to put info in for future generations of the family, maybe including some personal details about people if there is space.

I actually think it’s a good idea and it would be a waste not to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm thinking of some family tree stuff too i.e. names and addresses of grandparents. Already available in the 1901/11 census. Putting their details in the time capsule box and referring to those censuses would help any of my descendents who is bothered doing their family tree.

Then again, I'm almost certainly not going to have children so the only relatives that are around in 100 years will be fairly distant ones who won't give a sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i think i'll describe my day... see how it compares to their Sunday in years to come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Did history judge Paddy Cosgrave:

a) a footnote;

b) a genius and activist for real change:

c) having something in common with Brendan Behan?

Do your own tree on Ancestry or my heritage and link those census, then pass on the login details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Just be aware, every Tom Dick and Harry will be able to see these login details in 100 years time.

I crammed a fair amount into that box. Most of it about dead people. Parents' and grandparents' names and maiden names, places and dates of birth and death, occupations and businesses. Reference to the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Relationships to famous people. Other small details

Some stuff for a future genealogist to start with or join some dots in conjunction with civil records and other censuses.

Unlikely that anyone gives a sh1t though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gmail and Ancestry won’t exist when this info is published. It would be like having someone’s telegraph number today. They won’t know what to do with it.

Write whatever you can fit on the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It clearly says due to gdpr it won’t be disclosed who it came from.

Is it it not a bit pointless putting in family trees etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Always someone else’s fault with people like you.

Once 100 years have passed, the entire form is a public document. Before that, it will be used for statistical purposes in an anonymous manner and GDPR applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well I put in the price I paid for my house back when, how much it's worth now, and the LPT I pay on it.

Mentioned the cost of petrol/diesel/electric cars chargers, range etc. electric scooters/bikes. Just so the future teleported generations will know what we have to do to move around now.

Gave the rough price for the grocery shop and what was in it. Gave an idea of Netflix, streamed services, youtube and an idea of what I watched last week.

Couldn't fit a lot more in.....

Said a big hello to future generations reading it!

It is supposed to be a snapshot of life today. Let the genealogists work out the family trees in the future.

I ended mine with "Hello from your Great (great Great or Great Great Great) Grandpa ! :) but none of my kids may have kids so colour me embarrassed in 100 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Self-indulgent shite. I left it empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I said that I hope they have hover cars by then. I was told to expect them in my lifetime and I would have thought they would be on the way by now.

In a more serious note, I also gave an indication that I am concerned for the future of the human race ... we were recently in and out of an economic crash and then into a pandemic, with Brexit and a war following on, all the while we also have a rapidly progressing climate crisis and no indication that humanity can get its act together to look at our issues on a global scale, instead of trying to look out for separate national identities based on imaginary lines drawn on maps. Ireland has done spectacularly badly in preparing for future challenges, that we all know were coming down the tracks and we seem to be totally vulnerable to adverse changes in external circumstances. I fear we will be fighting over clean air and fresh water in the future and I hope that whoever gets to read the census comments, has had an opportunity to change things for the better, in the meantime.

I think putting something down about how you feel at the moment, is better than putting down historical fact that will be easily and better documented elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I will tell them the co-ordinates of the location that I love most in the world. And ask them to go there and think of me standing on that same spot loving life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

"Sorry for **** the planet up because of greed, selfishness, stupidity, and wilful ignorance, hopefully things are not too **** now and we managed to turn things around"

We wrote a short description of each of our four pets, because we couldn't agree on what to write. Husband wanted to write about the pandemic and food shortages, but everyone has had a pandemic and it's not "food shortages" just because there were no peppers in the shop last week. I wanted to list some of the most prevalent and ridiculous conspiracy theories of our time to show that we had these types now, too, and it's not just their generation. But husband didn't think that would be terribly interesting. I don't know how much future generations will care how many dogs and cats lived in our house but since we're not having kids I can't see anyone ever looking us up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just had my census form collected. That was quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

a bit about how Ireland changed for the better, more culturally mixed. a small bit of personal info for my background. an apology for letting the dumb people survive by putting warning labels on everything. A comment about my love of star wars, star trek, marvel and Doctor Who and finally I said that am glad climate change was proven to be a hoax. :)

If its not there will be no one to read it anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't put anything on it because there is nothing to stop the enumerator who only lives a few houses down the road from reading what I wrote.

We should be able to seal the form after filling it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I guessed anyone who would be looking this up in 100 years would be doing some sort of genealogy research. I gave a brief synopsis of my family going back to my grandparents including addresses. Hopefully that would make any research easier for them.

If they do it again next census I may expand on it to include more family history and connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You can post it back if you don't want them to read it.

I put in some family history and what we think might be interesting to someone researching us. We put in a message of hope and love for our descendents too.

nothing...... I left mine blank. Just didn't see the point of the whole exercise . Are they going to do this every census from now on??

• Advertisement
Advertisement