Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Here's the facts of the matter. Berlin and Merkel in particular got cold feet with advancing Ukrainian NATO membership (not even membership, a membership action plan).

The residual naive Ostpolitik and accompanying pacifism and axiom that autocracies can be managed and changed through trade that runs deep in German political life has been proven dead wrong. That the convergence through trade notion predominanted in the captains of industry industry as well as the political fringes is not a coincidence led us to where we are today. It was a self-dealing and self-serving German national outlook that weakened Europe's defences as a whole, particularly her eastern neighbours.

Ostpolitikers have gone into deep hiding in Germany in the past month. The notion that if you stroke the likes of Putin like a cat and give him a saucer of milk that he'll abandon destructive war tendencies has all of a sudden become a deeply embarrassing position to hold.

The above is not a sign NATO as an institution is wrong. In fact, It's evidence that defence and security and fundamental principles should not be held hostage to trade priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You didn't address the point as usual.

Why didn't they just ignore the interference?

Are you seriously suggesting a guy on the internet knew about this interference but NATO didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Their global peacekeeping efforts, seem to be a bit like a game of whack-a-mole Yurt... stop this conflict over here, help create another one over there!

I'm not impressed with their efforts to prevent this current crisis in Ukraine, or their attempts to bring it to a speedy conclusion. They've become a rather pointless organisation, which calls itself "defensive" but in reality is very happy to intervene when it suits them. (especially if it involves crushing a weak impoverished part of the world like Afghanistan or Yugoslavia - they love a bit of that sort of action)

Even if NATO did intervene to help a weaker nation from a stronger oppressor, it's quite likely that they will make the situation much worse and leave your country a sorry mess afterwards. Most nations can live without that sort of "help".

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Nato isn't a government

Only governments can address political interference or misinformation

Its (almost) amusing that posts here called out as putinbottist attempt misinformation about even that

Its like they're utterly unashamed

Not surprised tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why didn't they just ignore the interference?

You do know that at the end of the day, the government of the nation-state has to be willing to sign up to NATO, and if a government that is sponsored by the Kremlin has no intention of wanting to deal with NATO, then how exactly can NATO then expect that country to come under its security umbrella?

You have spent days peddling the lie that NATO doesn't care about the people, otherwise, Ukraine would be a member of it. Now you are doing your Francie special and arguing the opposite.

• Advertisement

What global peacekeeping efforts?

Outside of their borders they have had only 3 interventions to speak of:

Afghanistan: completely necessary and transformed the country for the better before wrapping-up in 2014. UNSC approved.

Libya: UNSC approved but on balance a mistake.

Kosovo: F*cked up Serbian fascists who were intent on another genocide. Roaring success and p*ssed off the Russians and Chinese (who cares). Anyone on the left should be celebrating this one, but for whatever reason are more interested in parroting Moscow and Beijing ballyaches.

You have a stone cold example of NATO rescuing a country and people from disaster, but your politics refuses to see it. Not my problem, and not NATOs problem. That's between you and your rabbi.

(especially if it involves crushing a weak impoverished part of the world like Afghanistan or Yugoslavia - they love a bit of that sort of action)

Just on this, NATO was very very slow to get involved in the Balkins. They did so at first to protect UN-designated safe areas in Bosnia, that was on the verge of being overrun by the Serbs.

Now, some of you here may be ok with Ethnic Cleansing and Genocide happening on a mass scale, so you can live on your high horse, as that was the alternative. But your historical revisionism is just that. Some people would rather a genocide happen than admit they were wrong. The usual culprits are guilty of that.

Oh, and the UN asked, yes asked NATO to help them out here!

Will this be recognised by Francie and SK? Nah.... they will continue to peddle their pro-Kremlin and anti-NATO misinformation and propoganda.

I have never uttered or typed a pro Putin word in my life.

It is not surprising that the NATO champions are using this tragic war to try and shame those with issues about NATO. From the get go they came out of the woodwork with the same spiel. From Neale Richmond to the lads here.

I have never uttered or typed a pro Putin word in my life.

Then why do you continue and post the same pro-kremlin propaganda on this thread, day in and day out?

Because its not tolerated in the Russian invasion thread probably

• Advertisement

What's with the revisionist love-in on the "anti-war" left for Milosevic's Serbia?

That was a militarized state ran by Serbian fascists determined to settle ethnic scores by genocide. This wasnt some untouched hilltribe picking berries and making daisy chains all day, it was a state run by the worst of men with a record of the worst of crimes content to continue their form forward.

This is the moral bankruptcy of empty-headed "anti-war" types. Head in the sand until an ethnicity is getting wholesale murdered by a militarised state, and then all of a sudden its sanctimonious "swords into ploughshares" when the likes of NATO comes knocking to remove the fascism like a scalpel.

NATO doesn't get everything right, but it has kept Europe from tearing itself apart for three quarters of a century. It's not a luxury - it's the cornerstone of the continental peace and thankfully, a thorn in the side of autocrats.

Why is criticism of NATO 'pro Kremlin'?

Are you saying NATO cannot be criticised? What exactly are you saying, because it is getting lost in the slurs and invective.

It's pro Kremlin because it's become Putin's pretext for this disgraceful war. And you're repeating it day after day.

NATO isn't even 10 percent of the things you or Putin claim it is. It's an overwhelming net good for Europe, and an overwhelming net good for European peace.

What Putin fears is a a democratic Europe with a cohesive defence and foreign policy orientation backed by American power.

Not because it represents an existential threat to Russia, but because it radically limits his ability to coerce, bully, intimate neighbors and create partner client autocrat states.

He fears the EU because it is an economic giant, an alternative open liberal democratic bloc and option for former eastern bloc states to gravitate to on a consensual basis, and he resents NATO because it's a treaty that stands ready to defend it.

It's not a coincidence you've become so outspoken against NATO at the precise moment it's needed most in Europe and is showing its worth in the most explicit terms. You're just repeating Kremlinite nonsense and conspiracies about the treaty because you're of the crank political tradition that doesn't know or care where our stability, democracy and wellbeing comes from - and ultimately how it's defended and must be defended.

A Europe without NATO is a Europe that would rapidly hurtle back to war from the Atlantic to the Caspian. You're just too blind to see it because of a diet of simple Simon anti- Americanism that has been cultivated and sponsored for years in Europe. Including in the political movement you hold dear.

Yes, it hasn't gotten everything right. And what it has, it has managed to do without our participation. Unless you are saying that what they have gotten wrong is because we are not members, there is no need for us to join and we can, if the will and resources are provided by a government who have depleted them, we can carry on providing the valuable role we do already.

You haven't even read my contribution from page 1. You're not going to paint me as having a position I don't hold.

My contributions over the last few pages have been to debunk the Kremlinite conspiracy theories and boogyman making that the naive and unthinking on the "anti war left" have been parroting.

Good shoutout to the posters portraying the Serbs in a good light. What the Serbs did in the Balkans was shocking.

I remember reading one story where the Serbs killed a young boy in front of his father, cut out his liver, cooked it and made the father eat it..

These are the men Francie and SK are defending. Shame on them. Not only do they have no credibility anymore I question their morality and soul in this debate.

Oh, you ignored my last question to you.... how surprising?

Your criticism of NATO is textbook pro-Kremlin propaganda. You have spent the last few weeks on this thread giving out about NATO, yet in the main Russia/Ukraine thread you have not uttered a word against Russia. It's all, "Oh Russia is wrong BUT... NATO, NATO, NATO, NATO, NATO... FG, NATO, USA, NATO, NATO..."

So, if you spend your days giving out about NATO, when there is a war going on right now, with civilians being murdered by a neo-Fascist Russian dictator, it is obvious to us all where your true loyalties lie. Every post is just another nail in that coffin.

Again with the attempt to shame those who are anti-war.

I am not particularly interested in Russia. I am interested in us ending neutrality and joining NATO - hence why I am contributing here.

I'd say the pro kremlin sh1te posted here is being done as a wind up

Not even the staff down on independent Ukraine Road could possibly be so unintelligent as to believe it

• Advertisement

You're coming to the thread with this woolly and empty notion of "anti-war" refusing to lay the blame where it needs to be blamed.

Europe is on the precipice with a classic 1930s fascist in search of real estate opportunities and willing to use violence to get it, and you're more interested in pointing the finger in the exact opposite direction peddling hard-wired political nonsense.

That's not "anti-war" that's wingnut crap that gives shelter to the person, the state and the bitter Russian nationalists that are attempting to tear down the European peace built by consensus over the last 75 years.

Not only are you being used, you're content to be used. Which doesn't make you "anti war" in the least. I'm not going to insult your intelligence here, it must be obvious to you that you're being used - but I won't give you any credit because it's a fundamentally dishonest position.

I am not particularly interested in Russia.

Of course, you are not, as it does not suit your pro-Putin and pro-Kremlin agenda to get a dig in at NATO. It's as if this conversation is happening on Mars and the issue in Ukraine has nothing at all to do with us, or the defence of the nation going forward.

We have a charlatan at work here folks.

Overblown scaremongering isn't going to advance the 'join NATO' argument. Seems to me Putin is finding it extremely difficult to take Ukraine, so the 'Europe on a precipice' argument sounds a bit OTT.

My criticism of NATO would have been the same with or without Russian aggression or invasion.

Seems to me the NATO champions have just come out of the woodwork since the full invasion. Opportunism at it finest, I would suggest and the use of a tragic war for political purposes.

My criticism of NATO would have been the same with or without Russian aggression or invasion.

So, even though the facts and circumstances change you don't change your mind. Only fundamentalists and zealots think like that Francie.

Now you lack all credibility. This is the deepest security crisis in Europe in a generation with a fascist on the march.

We're on a thread about security and defence issues and you refuse to even call what we're seeing correctly and deploying weasel words about a war that could spin of complete control for the continent.

Zero credibility, wingnut boogeyman contributions, and excuse making for a fascist. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

And a final point, quit trying to paint me in a position about Irish NATO membership that I don't hold.

Nothing that has been said on this thread - the impending danger to Ireland-Europe on a precipice etc, is a 'fact' IMO and no it has not changed my mind on us joining NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

On Libya as some here seem to view Nato's involvement there as in some way an attempt to destabilise the country.

In fact the mission was approved at the UN to save lives. As the anti Gadaffi rebellion had failed and he promised to -

Qaddafi called protesters "cockroaches" and vowed to cleanse Libya "inch by inch, house by house, home by home, alleyway by alleyway."

This sounds like genocide to me I am sure the usual suspects will see it differently.

What a numpty laded post. Of course Europe is on the precipice of something far more dangerous. Open a newspaper or turn on the news. Millions of refugees streaming across the continent and Russian news openly speculating on invading further countries.

AND what's more, the only thing holding things back for now is NATO.

You're so ridiculous and so wilfully blind.

• Advertisement

Putin took the line of least resistance (he thought) and attacked a sovereign country that IMO should have been in NATO.

Are you seriously asking me to believe that he is capable of 'marching on into Europe'?

Advertisement