Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Achwelfoley said. Heat is energy. Energy has a cost. Solid fuel loses 80% of its energy away from where its intended.

If I could cut 80% less turf this year my back would thank me,

^^ I was just going by the figures stated.

Dont know what your intention was with thee EIRGRID link maybe you were suggesting that because the electricity grid transmission efficiency is around 90% that the most efficient energy source on the grid was wind because we all know that the thermal efficiency of combustion electricity generation plants is diabolical. 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I haven`t the first notion what you are attempting to say.

A manifesto is a commitment to voters that if they vote for a party, the policies in that manifesto are those that party will endeavour to enact.

I thought it was safe to assume that with the banning of exploration licences and the banning of fracked LNG having to be accepted before they would sign the Programme for Government, that the same was included in their manifesto, but perhaps not.

Sounds like you may believe they came up with that on the fly and were not endorsed by their voters to do so. You may be correct. After all the Programme for Government condition was for fracked LNG and the bill being proposed is for all LNG.

If it bothers you then maybe take it up with the Green party. Far as I`m concerned it`s their policy now to ban all LNG and they have already sponsored the bill that banned exploration license. Both of which I find make no sense,, and so it seems do green supporters here, as none of them can explain the logic behind either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You already said multiple times you had the link to the manifesto, why do you keep asking for it?

plus as I already told you the manifesto was done in 2019, the policies for the Greens are on the website. For the next election they will have a new manifesto

Again it’s over & over & over & over with the same questions which you already got answers to. Can you please explain why you constantly go over the same topic and question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You already said multiple times you had the link to the manifesto, why do you keep asking for it?

Lol. Ah go back to bed. Nope you must be thinking of some other poster!

But yes It was me who had to set you straight about gp policies on imported fossil fuels, remember?

Apparently the gp are against imported fossil fuels however oddly enough you seem to be all gung-ho for importing the fossil fuels needed for transition to renewable energy generation!

And I'm still waiting for an answer asked in my last comment.

Any chance we could get an answer there or are you going to keep trying to change the subject?

• Advertisement

Found a great thread about how great green party policies are for anyone promoting same. Seems madly popular altogether 😅

Charlie14 said “A manifesto is a commitment to voters that if they vote for a party, the policies in that manifesto are those that party will endeavour to enact.”

<but originally you said:>

Charlie14 said “Only a year old and it looks as if that Green manifesto needs a fair bit of retrofitting.”

<So you have now googled “what is a manifesto but you can’t bring yourself to admit you dropped a clanger by forgetting that the last election was more than two years ago: 🤦‍♂️

Charlie14 said “Only a year old and it looks as if that Green manifesto needs a fair bit of retrofitting.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Dashboard was at 8% renewable last night, which would likely be Hydro, not a wind turbine turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

World production of avocados in 2020 was 8m tonnes while for bananas it was 120m tonnes. Avocados are the closest to being a complete food that there is.

I'll contnue to buy and eat anything I want.

5% this morning and the Greens say this should be the only power source,

• Advertisement

Let me a bit clearer. Do you not find it a bit strange that renewable projects, particularly wind, rarely reveal the project costing? If it was announced that an SMR was to be built, that would be the first thing people would expect to see after how many thousand homes it could power, but not wind projects. This utter dross doesn't even have a figure for how much power will be generated, it's basically just green propaganda.

A massive 0.9% of current demand is being met by wind.

Would now be an awkward time to remind people that nuclear has 96% availability - 350 days of 24/7 reliable power generation per year at zero CO2 and which lasts for 60 years, for a cost less than that of offshore wind, which only has 52% availabilty - 190 - days a year, and lasts for 50 years at best. The irony is that one of these is thought of as cheap while the other is thought of as expensive, and it's the exact opposity one of that which the numbers favour.

Imagine if energy policy decision making were done blind, where the sources are kept secret from government with just the basic numbers given, so to hide the 44% availability difference, which would be a giveaway, you would add to that source the costs of 60 years worth of gas plants and the cost of the gas - remember it's already more expensive even before you do this.

Then the government picks one based on the data and are bound by the decision before the great reveal as to the source.

Sorry you mean 5% from renewable?

Well doesn't that prove exactly what we are saying and Ireland hasn't invested in renewable at all? the sun os beaming all over the country yet we are generating no electricity. Even with a small installation I am generating 2kWh at the moment

10years of electric bills to pay for that and as you aren't using it and the ESB will never take it off you, what's the point?

Nuclear won't work here, look at the NCH ,nothing involving the state can be built on time,on budget or to specification

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not really. Costing issues are hardly unique to renewable projects.

Ireland's problem is a de-facto zero energy policy, with existing infrastructure being run down before there is any hope of sufficient replacements coming online.

I don`t know if this ranting of yours is some kind of therapeutic release valve for whatever your reasons may be, or it is just yet another attempt to avoid answering anything in relation to the banning of exploration licences and the proposed banning of LNG. Either way until you make at least an attempt to answer what you were asked I really do not see what the point is in this constant nitpicking of yours or why you should expect me to engage in it.

Well there is that, but in most countries there would be calls to fix such a problem. Imagine telling your boss they shouldn't be expecting you to do a job they wanted done because you are completely useless. Start looking for a new job.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Believe it or not I've worked with people like that, Differently skilled they call it. They usually just move them ,being useless is no longer a sackable offence, head wrecking for everyone else but unfortunately that's where society is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭ginger22

Has anybody calculated the real emissions and environmental damage caused in creating all the "renewable energy" and electric cars etc.

• Advertisement

I suggest you review the solar pv thread, if you size the system correctly then happy days

And so you should. I just think that they should be much much more expensive. And have no doubt they will become so. Starting to curb long distance food importation, through appropriate penalties and levies, is all part of what we need to do

That would be racist, there seems to be a vein running through all Green contributors that developing countries should be stopped from developing, those crops are a difference between life and death for many.

Why do you keep bring up the Irish Green Party`s website as if it was some sort of middle ages Papal Bull that had to be adhered to to avoid excommunication ? Although with your refusal to answer anything in relation to Irish Green Party edicts I`m leaning towards the possibility that for their supporters it actually may be.

We do not need to go trawling through their website to know what their position was on exploration licenses or LNG. That was subsequently made that clear on their conditions in the Programme for Government and the passing of their sponsored bill on exploration and the now proposal in another bill to ban LNG. A proposal that has now morphed from fracked LNG in their Programme for Government demands to all forms of LNG and not as you stated fracked LNG.

The question that you have been jumping through hoops attempting to avoid has nothing to do with their website. Or indeed anything to do with their demands in the Programme for Government. It is a simple question to you as a supporter of the Irish Green Party. Do you agree with them on both these two issues, and with our own natural gas fields close to depletion and the current crisis in relation to natural gas, if you do then can you tell us where you see it making any kind of logical sense.

As to your last paragraph could you also clarif,y rather than posting something and then leave it hanging. Are you accusing me of having a number of different accounts on Boards.ie or that I am a rereg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

OK. What are the correct figures according to your expertise?

They have for EV's, for which the manufacturing of is responsible for 50% higher CO2 release than the manufacture of an ICE car.

I asked you what parts of the manifesto need to be changed after which Brokenangel pointed out to you that a manifesto is actually a document political parties put out before an election and went on to ask you if you knew what a manifesto is.

Charlie14 came back with I know what a manifesto is in response to Brokenangel

and replied back to me with, Charlie14 said “A manifesto is a commitment to voters that if they vote for a party, the policies in that manifesto are those that party will endeavour to enact.”

But I never asked you what a manifesto is just what parts of the Green Party manifesto, realised in 2019 before the 2020 election, needed to be fixed. To remind you this was what I asked you to follow up on, Charlie14 said “Only a year old and it looks as if that Green manifesto needs a fair bit of retrofitting.”

Course I know what Charlie14 game is and like clockwork he sprung bak with;  Charlie14 said "it is just yet another attempt to avoid answering anything in relation to the banning of exploration licences and the proposed banning of LNG"

Regarding your latest bate and switch play,

1, You never asked me about LNG. 🤔

2, You have yet to answer any of my questions ,totalling about 10 now 🤨

The same people who are the most expose to climate change.

• Advertisement

Advertisement