Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

got renewal quote from its4women - 465. policy is with AIG. quote direct from AIG is 355 (inc 10% discount) - exact same policy and benefits. best its4women can do is 429. g'luck......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TA123123123123

30M, 5yr NCB, TPFT with Class 1 and partner on the policy as well (who has own car). No penalty points.

Best Quotes (rounded to the nearest €5 for anonymity) were

• Chill - Renewal - 420
    • AVIVA - 420
    • Kennco - 465
    • Allianz - 470
    • Chill - New - 475
    • QuoteDevil - 490
    • Hastings - 495
    • AIG - 510
    • BestQuote.ie - 525
    • AA - 555
    • GMIB - 555
    • its4women - 565
    • Acorn - 570
    • Liberty - 570
    • First Ireland - 575
    • QuoteMe.ie - 575
    • Glennons - 580
    • FBD - 590
    • AXA - 620
    • Sheridan - 640
    • Britton - 650
    • Campion - 655
    • 123.ie - 660
    • GetSetGo.ie - 665
    • AA - 675
    • SuperValu - 680
    • Cornmarket - 705
    • Arachas - 720
    • AIB - 780
    • BOI - 830
    • Whoops.ie - 890

The ones that wouldn't quote online and didn't get back to me were: Zurich, An Post, Dolmen, MIG, Insure4Less and CoverinaClick. First year the renewal has been the best quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Wow..you've been busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

40 year old male with Full Irish license held 21 years and no penalty points, accidents, claims or convictions. 15 years claims free in own name and 5 years claims free as a named driver before that.

2011 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D. Comprehensive cover sought.

Last year I paid Allianz €416 (oddly they said on the renewal that they were €475 last year). They were looking for €617 this year as per renewal quotation but when I got fresh quotation of them online with exact same particulars they were coming in at €460....hmmmm.

Axa were €777 and were a lot more on top of that to add extras such as NCD protection and open driving.

AIG €567

An Post Insurance €504.

Zurich which I went with were €389 for comprehensive cover, roadside breakdown assist adding in home start, windscreen cover, Personal Accident and Medical expenses, fire brigade charges, foreign travel cover, replacement of locks, new car replacement, personal belongings, stepback bonus protection and driving of other cars. Did bump the excess up to €1,000 to get that price too though.

I went with Zurich in the end and very happy with the price for the level of cover. There were a few more prices I got that I did not jot down so not noted above - they all would have fell between the Axa highest price and Zurich's price.

• Advertisement

389 is brilliant, I've bumped up the excess too to drop the premium, worth the gamble I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Was really very pleased with that price and I think my post highlights (along with many other posts in the thread) that its so worth getting the finger out and shopping around for any general insurance product and for many other services also. Insurance company's are reliant on people's laziness to just stay with them and they do take advantage of that (hey, I would too!)...I think my experience of Allianz highlights that.

Definitely worth the gamble in bumping up the excess to reduce the premium from my own point of view but I will make the caveat that not every individual or family may be in a position to do so. Don't do it if shelling out an extra €1,000 if you were in a tip would end up putting you in dire straits.

I'm not due until May, April starts the usual hunting around, I'm used to it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Fully comp. Male early 40's €385 including bonus protection (which is a bit of a scam in my view) from AIG my current insurer 123.ie offered renewal at €630. I'm anticipating a call from them in the next few days which may get interesting. I'm looking forward to using terms like gougers, fleece merchants, shambolic and asking them to justify the quote before telling them I've gone elsewhere. Most of the other quotes I tried came in under €450. Inertia is an awful thing to conform to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I renewed with my insurer for another year-

Male, 50, full clean driver's licence 22+, no points, no claims. Astra 1.4 2006, fully comp with Aviva for €310. Happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 WEZANGO

29M, Irish license for 3 years, 3 year NCB and 3 penalty points. 2015 C Class, 2.1 CDI.

Best quote - Liberty €697

Axa - €720

Aviva - €2400

AnPost Insurance - €1542

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi All has anyone used getsetgo for quotes. My Daughter,29, provisional license holder, was quoted 1277.59. Best I got from a local broker was 2370.00. She came across them on Gocompare. Its seems strangely low and the only reviews I can find are on tripadvisor which I don't rate very highly. Any observations would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They fit a blackbox to the car which records driving behaviour, speed and acceleration. If you are recorded by the device doing too many errors they restrict cover. There's lots of reports of flaws with these systems if you Google them, particularly in the UK.

That said for starting out this may be the best way for your daughter to get a years no claims built up. For an experienced driver their quotes might only be €200/300 cheaper in which case I'd advise against.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Is anyone having trouble renewing with Liberty online?

I have been trying to do that but I keep getting the message that the website does not recognise my details.

I got through on a phone line after 10 minutes, and the call was cut off a minute into the conversation.

The guy who answered had a really thick northern accent and I had a great deal of trouble understanding him, and when I was giving him my details the line went dead. The customer service which was great some years ago is now really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭KJK1LL3R

Spend the day shopping around for online quotes, I must confess that the lack of quality price comparison websites in the Republic make things so much more work than when I lived up in Northern Ireland. The best quote that I got today was €410.55 from Zurich that included fully comp, windscreen cover, breakdown assist and full NCB protection with an additional driver although admittedly I went with a higher excess of €750. I am a bit clueless about these things though so I am not actually sure if Full NCB protection is worth it for a 33 year old driver like myself who has had my licence since 2008 and never made a claim. One thing that has shocked me, is that as a FORSA member I expected to be able to get great discounts but when I quoted with trade union brokers the prices were all around the €500 range. This leads me to question if paying for trade union membership is actually worth it at all. I work in the public sector so I would imagine all public service staff have the exact same rights and working conditions regardless if they belong to a trade union or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewed yesterday. €360 for comp. incl. step back ncb protection. Didn't bother shopping around at that price.

Almost new Ford Focus ST Line worth c.€28k.

Model risk.

It's insured with Footprint through a Broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Renewal due on 13th April. I have had the policy for 2 years and now want to take the car off the road for now as we have 3 cars. I called AXA and requested a quote for laying up the car (ie. Off the road) so would expect Fire&theft option to maintain my NCB.

AXA anwered after 2.5 minutes of telling me about all sorts of claims stuff I did not need as I had clearly pressed the "Renewal option 2". Finally speak to a human who confirms I can suspend my policy and confirms my NCB would not be affected. Great please let's do that then.

Your renewal is due on the 13th with a premium of 270 euro - so would you like to pay in full? Eh? What?? You want me to pay the full premium and not be on the road?? Are you mad? I may as well just renew the policy as normal and not drive the car!! Hang on a minute..... goes off to check. Hello sir yes if you want to suspend the policy you need to pay the full premium. OK then I will non renew the policy and request my NCB letter which will be used going forward. I can prove off the road status via the tax office "Off road declaration".

Just so you know the world is going mad.

57 year old male.

Full licence a gazillion years.

No points.

211 Skoda Superb iV style.

Full NCB.

Renewal from AIG came in at €387.

Got it for €308 with Zurich using my Bord Gais rewards discount, a much better policy, full NCB protection, breakdown etc. Happy with that, tax and insurance for less than €450, it's been a good few years since I've seen that😊

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

22 Year old male

Full licence (for 1.5 years, thanks Covid-19😒) and had been insured on a provisional in my own name since 2019 (3 years).

2011 1.8 Mitsubishi Lancer

No points, 1 claim thats still outstanding (never crashed a car myself but wont be lending my keys to anyone ever again, too young for open driving).

Renewal came in from AXA up 100 euro from 1,000 to 1,100 (with claim so understandable). Checked around a few other companies all ludicrous (liberty 2,000, FBD 3,500) only other reasonable quote was AIG (boxclever mind) was 1320.

Rang AXA told them a tall tale about another company giving me a quote for 980, fair play to them they dropped it down to 890😃.

Seriously don't understand how one company can offer me triple another but maybe someone who had a claim can clarify do quotes become more reasonable when the claim is settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

Car: 171 Hyundai Ioniq Electric

Years Driving: 18, full license

No of claims. never had a claim

Penalty points: 0

Policy: Fully Comp, Full NCB Protection

Last Year: €410

Renewal: €510 Allianz (most they would reduce it to was 500)

Bank of Ireland: €515

Zurich: €540

AA: €545

Aviva: €370

Needless to say I went with Aviva. Last 4/5 years I have been swapping between Allianz/Aviva/AA(whose policies were with for Allianz/Aviva), always been about €100/150 in the difference between the best price the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

Car: 08 Mercedes C Class

Years Driving: 14, full license

No of claims. never had a claim

Penalty points: 3

Policy: Fully Comp, Full NCB Protection

Last Year: €801.74

Renewal: €916.64  Allianz (most they would reduce it to was €80)

Liberty: €678.32

Bank of Ireland €665.29

AA: € 729.28

Did a quote on Chill and that showed Zurich at €552 but when I tried directly from the Zurich Site it came in at €667

Gonna go with BOI on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

citroen c4 grand picasso 2.0 hdi 45m +42f full ncb, null pointe. comp. fbd renewal quote 725, zurich 475

chill.ie says no quotes so I cant compare

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭ricimaki

27M, 2016 Leon FR 1.4L, 8 years full license and full NCB, no points. Fully comp insurance.

Aviva were looking for €850 for renewal, €100 more than I payed last year.

Chill.ie showed multiple quotes between €600 and €800

Zurich's website quoted €580 without third party driving of other cars. Got a call from them, brought it down to €500 with third party driving included.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Male, 32, 6 years full license, full NCB, no points. fully comp

161 Mazda 3 Petrol

Axa renewal €430

Liberty - 510

Aviva - 380

BOI : 550

TheAA: 530

Anpost: 440

Called Axa, got renewal down to €360 in a couple of seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Male, 44, 20 years full license, full NCB, no points. fully comp

191 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid

It's For Women Renewal: €390

Liberty - 550

Aviva - 470

BOI : 500

Anpost: 420

123.ie: No quote online (which is weird)

AIG: 430

This will be the lowest amount I have ever paid for Car Insurance!

Try Zurich they were the lowest for me this year.

They just came in at €608 for me so not a hope there. :)

Jaysus, that's rough, it really is a lottery every year isn't it?

• Advertisement

Totally. I think they just use a random number generator. 🙂

Advertisement