Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the USA play a significantly negative role in events leading to Ukraine invasion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ok. Why you believe that these are "propaganda stunts" or that the Ukrainian military are hiding in these places?

Your personal incredulity isn't an argument I'm afraid.

I can easily flip it.

"I personally don't believe that the Ukrainians would kill their own people for the purposes of propaganda and sorry I simply don't believe the Ukrainias would be that cruel and mad."

Do you have any actual evidence that these (many) incidents are all false? Or is it all entirely based on you not believing the Russians would do such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It just seems to me much more likely that Ukrainian troops are entrenched in such civilian infrastructure than the Russian army targeting hospitals and apartment blocks for the heck of it. Actually trying to kill civilians. Look I could be wrong but I just can't see it.

Do you believe that Russian troops see a building marked 'children' and go ye lets blow that up and kill those children? That wouldn't make any sense and would actually be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Asking again, why do you have strong opinions (all of which echo Putin's propaganda by way) on something you seem to know little or nothing about?

Current Russian military doctrine is to surround a city and bombard it into submission, this is what they did in Grozny, it's what they did with Assad's forces in Syria. That includes civilian infrastructure. Over 80% of Mariupol is destroyed. There are thousands trapped with no food/water/utilities because Russia keeps declaring a ceasefire, humanitarian groups move in to help get them out, then Russian starts bombarding again, including the agreed upon humanitarian corridors. Yes it's insane, but that's war.

Like I said it doesn't make sense.

The Ukraine is a closely tied country to Russia culturally and socially. I have colleagues myself where the hubby is Russian and the wife is from the Ukraine.

They need to and want to (I assume) live with that country next door in the future. Not next door to a place that hates their guts into all eternity.

You just don't go there and kill civilians and children with no care it the world.

Maybe I am underestimation the craziness of war. I probably am. But I can't see that being what Russia wants. Maybe I am being naive.

But we're also really getting far away from the topic.

But you're now saying that the other explanation is that the Ukrainians blew these people up themselves.

That wouldn't make any sense and would be insane.

But as you said, you've no actual evidence that this and other incidents (again, there are a lot of them) are faked. You're simply concluding this based on nothing but your own personal incredulity of a simplisitic view of things.

• Advertisement

Nobody has any evidence for anything. We all just get what the war parties want us to hear and believe. Which is obviously dodgy by nature. Like I said people are actually instructed to release false information.

Look I get it. I want to give Russia the benefit of the doubt and ye don't. Russia is the aggressor and your stance is fair enough. I have no evidence and I accept that.

But its hardly productive to discuss something neither of us can be certain about.

I'd much rather discuss what's in the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Russia makes it own citizens disappear. Why would it have qualms about anyone else.

Once you invade a country, once you fire weapons, you are very likely to kill civilian's. Never mind if you target them deliberately.

But your reason for concluding that all of these incidents are fake isn't very sound or rational.

You know they are all fake because you have personally decided that Russians aren't capable of doing something like that, but for some reason Ukrainians are completely capable of killing their own civilians.

How does this make sense to you? Do you believe that Ukrainians are just more evil?

No but I think some of them may be desperate. Those Azov guys In Maripol can be certain nothing good is coming their way.

Ok. So believe that Ukrainians have become desperate enough to kill their own civilians. That's insane and I don't believe they are capable of that.

Why can't the Russians also be desperate?

• Advertisement

I assume when someone starts a war in your country everyone is desperate. Is there some reason you are ignoring all other people caught up in this, the refugees fleeing the war.

I don't think they're killing their own civilians (although with those crazy ultra-nationalists you couldn't be 100% sure either).

But I could see them being desperate enough to get entrenched in civilian infrastructure and when those are getting hit scream at Russia for targeting civilian infrastructure. Thats hardly far fetched.

Cause Russian propaganda ignores those people and suggests silly things like the Ukrainians killing their own civilians.

I'm not ignoring anything. Sorry its hard to keep up with several people throwing all sorts your way.

So for the record and the umpteenth time. I hate war. Its desperate and cruel and insane and I want it to end. Russia is the aggressor. They could end it tomorrow and they should but they won't. Thats the reality. They won't just go oops mistake sorry about that.

But I don't believe they want to kill civilians. They will because thats inevitable in war but they'd rather not. What makes it more likely that they will is Ukrainian military hiding in civilian infrastructure.

Look at a map. The west hasn't encircled Russia. It has vast borders and the west is only a tiny part of that.

Russia wasn't isolated in any aspect until it invaded. Not the other way around.

But you said that they were killing their own civilians a few posts ago.

You're also now bringing up "crazy ultra-nationalists" for some reason. You said in previous posts that Russians couldn't bomb civilians cause they aren't crazy. But now you're saying that Ukraine would do it cause they have crazy people in their ranks. Ok. So why can't Russia have equally crazy people in their ranks?

And again, you've not a jot of evidence that the Ukrainians did anything of the sort. The people in the theatre were all civilians. There was no military present. So either Russians bombed them, or Ukrainians bombed themselves. Which is it?

Russia has been waging hybrid warfare on Ukraine for 8 years. First they illegally annexed territory, then sparked a war in 2014 in S East Ukraine that has resulted in the deaths of thousands of Ukrainians. Russia is sheltering the ex-Ukrainian leader (Moscow's puppet) who had forces open fire on Ukrainian protesters killing over a hundred. He's wanted internationally by at least two countries. When he finally fled, he was discovered to have a mansion, private zoo, a Spanish galleon, fleets of cars, obscene wealth - Moscow has him lined up to reinstall him as leader of Ukraine (once they conquer the country)

Putin has journalists murdered, he poisons opposition with nerve agent, Russian nerve agent (to make no doubts who did it) and then has them jailed on trumped up charges/sent to penal colonies. In Russia, if you hold up a piece of blank paper in Moscow (or any city) you will be promptly arrested and you can be jailed for years. They have criminalized independent journalism. They can seize cash from the accounts of normal Russians. It's quickly gone from an autocracy to a totalitarian state. That's Putin with his own people, imagine how he will be against a people he hates. The vitriol he uses against the Ukrainians is chilling stuff, labelling them Nazi's and fascists. He has much worse in store for them.

Hence the Ukrainians are fighting. They don't want to live in a Russian puppet state, lose their democracy, lose their freedoms, have their families and friends disappeared in the night by the FSB, have their children forced to learn in Russian only (already happening in occupied territory)

Of course, Putin's propaganda is that the West is behind this, it's behind everyone he's had murdered or poisoned, it's behind the Ukrainians wanting to exist as a democratic country, is the cause of Russia "having" to invade Ukraine - precisely the same stuff you are parroting here.

So please continue..

I said no such thing. Stop making stuff up if you want me to continue with you.

Sorry mate, but you did. You called it a "propaganda stunt."

What does this mean if you didn't mean they killed their own people?

Could you answer my other questions as well.

• Advertisement

The evidence that Russians are targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure (after they very specifically said they wouldn't) is in the evidence

You claim it isn't happening because you "can't believe it". Whether or not you believe something has no bearing whatsoever.

You seem to be very high on preconceived notions of all this and very low on actual fact.

And yet we're being told that the Ukrainians are perfectly capable of killing their own civilians and putting them in mortal danger and lying about the entire war.

Weird bias there.

A lot of red flags here, look at the first posts, e.g. weird insinuations that "Western manufacturers" were threatening Putin's Russia with no evidence.

I think someone here has either been on conspiracy sites or has been swallowing Kremlin koolaid on Youtube

The thing is, most people aren't just reliant on the accounts from the news. We have fleeing refugees that are backing up attacks on civilians. We even have video evidence of Russian troops shooting at journalists. So ya, there's no evidence of them having some restraint about killing civilians. Even the safe passages which they agreed to, they're happy to attack.

On top of that, Russian strategy is well known.

Btw, you keep saying they should surrender. Their rights would automatically be diminished in that scenario. Russia has a history of killing both journalists and politicians at home. That would extend to Ukraine and the gulags would be back too... Seems pretty clear why people wouldn't want the return of that.

Also you keep saying the west has encircled Russia, it has not. Russia on the other hand has carried out chemical and radioactive attacks in the west. This also put civilians at risk.... So the west has been far better behaved than Putin since he came to power.

Indeed, countries freely choosing to join a defensive alliance against an aggressive power is not "encirclement".

Russia has attacked Georgia, threatened neighbours, Russian helicopters have "onwards to Berlin" written on them, Russian state TV hosts regularly talk about invading other European countries and launching nukes. Now they have invaded Ukraine.

As a natural consequence countries want to join NATO.

I do have a day job and its not Kremlin spokesman. Might be back tomorrow, but lets keep on topic please.

And dramatic exit number one...

Sorry mate, but our points are on topic.

The fact you are desperate to run away from them is also relevant.

You claimed that all the Russian attacks on civilians were either fake or justified.

Don't be a coward. Back up this stance.

We don't think you can. You claimed it because your worldview is completely naive and ignorant and now you're trying to run away.

Why would you not believe it. They've done it in the past. Why would they not do it now?

Collateral civilian deaths are even more likely with Russian Tactics and Weapons. Massed rockets into cities. I mean come on.

All points are relevant to the topic, the fact you're dodging them is more telling.

• Advertisement

I also guess that he's claiming that the Ukrainian Army was hiding in every single building of Mariupol. No civilians in any of them. Just all army guys...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement