Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Her position is staunchly defending women's sport but she argues that somebody needs to address this question properly. You don't need a sub BTW, just clear out your history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

So you agree then, the discussion is not just about sport?

Btw where was it stated in my comment about "a person of danger to others"?

The issue detailed is of biological males / females being placed in what are designated and segregated prison facilities

I note an attempted to inflame the discussion with additional descriptors not used eg "abhorrent". Again the issue is designated segregated spaces.

If you believe that all accommodation should be co-ed then that's another area of discussion. The fact is segregated accommodation exists by reason of personal preference but also in places like prison on general health and safety grounds.

The same with toilets and other intimate settings where women or men may not feel comfortable or safe sharing with biological males females and also where men or women have a religious prohibition on doing do.

Again issues like scholarships is just one of the many issues involved. And where just one one woman loses a place to a biological male, then you going on about "3%" is fairly irrelevant to that one individual

You say

People are entitled to discuss whatever their fancy is without or without personal interest. But say it as it is, it’s not about sport, it’s just anti transgender

Again disingenous to paint all discussion of this issue as "anti transgender", when the issue notably includes those who are not transgender namely men and woman who you have simply disregarded as being part of that discussion. It could just as easily be argued for example that stance is anti woman.

I note you say that you are human rights lawyer. So is this discussion work or are you claiming personal interest and by extension that no one else can contribute "without personal interest" else you label it "anti transgender"?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And there we have it. We have come full circle back to this absolute scutter that the only reason women don't run as fast, jump as high, throw as far is because the patriarchy is keeping them down. Men in general undoubtedly do little to help women's sports in a commercial sense, but they are not sneaking out to put lead in people's shoes.

Women are athletically inferior to men. There is nothing judgemental or wrong in that statement, it is simply a statement of fact. It is in fact, the absolute height of patronisation to suggest otherwise, as if women have it in their power to be faster and stronger but just aren't quite meeting expectations. It is utterly pointless to discuss anything with someone who point blank refuses to acknowledge that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You can choose to put your own spin on what I said all you want; it doesn’t change what I actually said. I’m not expecting you to acknowledge any patriarchy or whatever else nonsense because I’ve said nothing of the sort. I’ve not made any point about men in general, it’s you who keeps trying to draw comparisons between men and women among the general population, and from those comparison extract conclusions about a different set of athletes entirely!

You’ll no doubt convince plenty of people who already agreed with you that you have even the slightest interest in maintaining integrity in either sports or science, when it’s abundantly clear you couldn’t care less about maintaining the integrity of either when you attempt to portray your position as the inevitable conclusion of research you’ve never done, using data that doesn’t exist! I’d suggest leaving that sort of nonsense to talking heads like Ross Tucker as if he were the only sports scientist the world has ever known. Relying upon the opinions of a single scientist who shares your own personal beliefs is about as legitimate a pursuit of knowledge as phrenology.

The argument has nothing to do with women being inferior to men or whatever else, it has everything to do with the right to participate, nothing to do with the right to win. Everyone should have the right to participate, and your argument about who has the right to win is simply irrelevant.

The “level playing field” nonsense is a myth. There is no such thing as a level playing field in competition. It’s the nature of competition to produce human beings who are a coordination of an infinite number of characteristics and factors which they use to increase their chances of winning. They’re not guaranteed to win, nobody is, so your whole argument about “all the men would win, all the women would lose”, has no legitimacy.

If you want an example of going full circle, it’s assuming testosterone is responsible for the overwhelming discrepancy in athletic performance between the sexes, and then battering the data until it fits your hypothesis. That’s not science. I don’t know what to call it other than an ill-thought out attempt to justify discrimination and prejudice to try and exclude people from participating in sports.

It has nothing to do with protecting women or maintaining the integrity of women’s sports, which similarly as you made the point before about men’s sports not being threatened by women; similarly women’s sports aren’t threatened by men, not even the tiny minority of men who have abused women and girls who wanted to participate in sports and knew that if they went public about it they would be risking their futures, and the organisations which now claim to want to protect women’s sports don’t know the meaning of the word integrity when they were looking to silence victims of abuse and protect the perpetrators, because it was more important to keep up appearances.

I have no doubt the irony of their own arguments against the participation of people who are transgender in sports, isn’t lost on them. It’s not protecting from people who are transgender anyone needs at all, it’s protecting from the very people who claim to be protecting them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There are many wider issues relating to the current debate, including biological females being forced to share certain spaces with biological males whether those are toilets, changing rooms, prisons etc or indeed the impacts on women who face issues with competition from trans women (biological males) to education based on scholarships or positive discrimination programmes or any of the other issues

Mod - And we're back to this again.

Can we stay on topic please, or has this thread reached the end of its useful life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If sports were not segregated then women would have little success at any decent level.

If men for example could fight in Katie Taylors weight class then nobody would know Katie Taylor.

An Olympic and World champion and a hero and inspiration to young Irish women would be a nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Not at all I think your points have merit and explained clearly. And I do think in some ways it makes sense. Apologies if I over emphasised with the use of abhorrent, that was unintentional but probably a bit heavy handed from me.

I do think using the term biological male to describe a transgender person as unnecessary though. But I see your point.

With regards to personal interest, I’m the last person who should even be involved in this discussion but I like to see both side. My Human rights law was focused on the law of armed conflict and war crimes rather than gender equality so just an observer really.

But hopefully that’s made my side a bit clearer and I’m no way meant to come across as belittling anyone else’s opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I see your point and not au fait for eligibility criteria for transgender in boxing. But on the flip side there is the first trans man on professional boxing went out and won.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/676586360/a-trans-man-steps-into-the-ring-and-wins?t=1648119408306

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fair play to Sonia for taking this position, she is correct this does need to be addressed. Kaitlyn Jenner (formerly Bruce Jenner) also says that Transgender individuals should not compete in the sports of the sex they have transitioned too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Quite alarming on twitter the amount of people who are willing to call Sonia, perhaps our greatest female athlete, transphobic.

Is it easier to say these things on twitter?

"I do think using the term biological male to describe a transgender person as unnecessary though."

It would be completely unnecessary if it wasn't for the fact that we are told that a woman can now describe transpeople who are biologically male.

I know you’ll disagree, but you’re not being forced to agree with or accept anything. It’s just being petty and it comes across as petty to be making up new terms to sneer at people who literally have never done anyone any harm. It’s moronic behaviour at it’s more high profile levels, no different than the anti-theist types and haughty theists coming up with terms to wind each other up.

I don’t use the prefix ‘trans’ in normal conversation when referring to either women or men, so having to constantly use it is in my view unnecessary, I just don’t bother as I really don’t care for the distinction, and that’s all it is - a distinction based upon social conventions. Arguing that it’s based upon biology is pure nonsense, it’s patently obvious “bite-sized science” from twitter, etc, no different than Greta Thunberg declaring we should listen to “the science”, as if that’s actually in any way a useful or credible argument.

I don't usually use the prefix trans either.

I refer to men and women in my normal day life and it is roundly understood that I am talking about biological men and biological women.

It is necessary to use it here, in topics specifically about trans people, because some people don't accept that for the VAST majority of people, when they are referring to women, they are not referring to biological men who identify as women.

Would it be fair to say in your normal everyday life you don’t encounter people who are transgender, and neither do the people you’re talking to? What you’re arguing is that context matters, and I agree, it does - so in the context of this particular conversation, it makes no sense whatsoever to refer to anyone by their physiology - they’re not being referred to in biological terms, because biology refers to the study of life, and I’m absolutely certain the people we’re discussing are a form of life!

It’s similar to the way in which Sonia O’ Sullen was referred to earlier as probably the greatest Irish athlete of all time - arguably in the context of the greatest Irish athletes of all time, she is one of the greatest Irish athletes of all time. The fact that she blamed a poor performance at a crucial point in her career on a grape, makes little sense to anyone who isn’t familiar with just how much their diet is crucial to an athletes performance, but to anyone who is familiar with the effects something so seemingly insignificant can have on an athletes performance, it makes perfect sense.

It’s somewhat ironic that given O’ Sullivan’s expressed opinion on this topic, that she would also lament the idea that the art of racing is being lost in favour of racing against the clock and being able to predict the outcomes. She absolutely has a point in the second instance, not so much the first -

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sonia-o-sullivan-are-we-losing-the-art-of-racing-in-chasing-times-at-all-costs-1.4810304

What she’s doing is similar to what Navratilova is doing when she opined on the future of women’s tennis, neglecting to realise that it’s future depends not on how predictable it becomes, but on maintaining the element of unpredictability which makes the sport an enjoyable spectacle which inspires young people to want to participate in, because the memorable moments in sports are what people remember, not the race times and records or any of the rest of it, they remember who ran a great race -

https://m.independent.ie/sport/szabos-sour-grapes-fail-to-take-gloss-off-golden-girl-26178301.html

And they remember performances which the athletes themselves would rather didn’t overshadow their achievements in sports -

https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/a-giant-chocolate-mess-the-inglorious-inevitability-of-poo-in-professional-sport/news-story/1d93defc1aeeddd70f4f1eb6eb094504

Trust Fox News Australia for it’s absolute comedy gold 😂😂

I fail to see how that ties into in the case of speaking about biological sex when talking about a transgender athlete in the opposite sexes category.

Because the use of the term ‘biological’ makes no sense in the context in which you’re referring to sex. All sex is biological, whether it’s male or female, and there are people who do reject binary conceptions of sex in favour of a more comprehensive definition of sex. It’s all science.

People can cherry-pick whatever they wish to suit themselves, the problem is when they apply their standards to other people who do not share their standards. It’s why your designation and categorisation of athletes is rejected by athletes who do not share your standards, but instead cherry pick standards which they argue are fair and appropriate and not a violation of their dignity.

Pretending you don’t know exactly what you’re doing in referring to anyone as biological males or biological females is fairly obvious in it’s intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Is the goal here to wrap up utter drivel in linguistic waffle in an attempt to make said drivel sound more credible?

It isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So we now need a study to "prove" that men are faster, stronger, etc, etc than women? Is that really where we are at.

Is it ok to start calling people fact-phobic or reality-phobic?

My intent is absolutely obvious.

People have said that under the definition of woman, transwomen (biologically male) people are included and in the definition of men, transmen (biologically female) are included under that definition.

• Advertisement

So what though? People say all sorts of things and express all sorts of opinions, it doesn’t mean anything unless there is something to support their beliefs. Your argument is like saying that because some people say something stupid, you’re going to associate anyone who shares characteristics in common with them with that person’s stupid opinions, and treat them accordingly.

That approach is fine on a personal level, but it doesn’t work at the level of determining policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

Whatever you think about 'woke'

Lia Thomas is partly a bloke;

She should not be allowed to go swimmin'

Against those who are fully ciswimmin.

I'm not sure I follow you OEJ.

If the word woman now includes biological males, then when I am referring to only biological women, I do need to use the prefix.

I think most people, and I really do mean most people, will understand who you’re referring to without it being necessary to use the terms either trans, or biological. They can determine it from the context in which you’re using the term woman, or women, or whatever the case may be, and they can get bogged down in the nitty-gritty nonsense of how to define woman, or they can make allowances and refrain from being obnoxious.

I dunno ‘bout you but in my everyday life I’m often biting my tongue when someone uses the term ‘cis’ or refers to me as a ‘biological male’, it’s cringe inducing nonsense which I outright reject, but I’m prepared to overlook it while they’re prepared to overlook my many, many gaffes which likely are equally cringe-inducing for them 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think you entirely missed what I answered. I said replace the Male category with an open category. If we accept your figures and round to the nearest decimal point then approximately 50% of the population would be likely to be competing in this category, as it would include all male athletes (male as defined by either gender or sex), along with anyone else who wishes to compete (of any gender or sex). That to me would be preferable to a third category for trans / intersex athletes for exactly the reasons you have outlined, which I agree with. It would be a fairly empty category. I don't see why that wouldn't work for all the other sports you listed there, but I'm open to hearing if you think there are reasons why it wouldn't.

Thankfully, I rarely have to use it in my everyday life. But on threads like this you will have certain people who will pull you up that "actually transwomen are actually women by law". These people are also the ones who liberally use the word cis.

I think we are in agreement that it should be absolutely unnecessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Jenner seems to be a good person to listen to on this. As a former Olympian and now changed gender.

That's pretty much nonsense from start to finish. Your own build in biases seems to be preventing you from seeing reality. You've pretty much got reality upside down in your head. The entire point of categories is to give fair competition within categories. That applies to all categories, be it sex, age, weight etc. None of it is to keep anyone down. Quite the reverse.

There are far more resources currently being put into promoting women in sports at the moment than are put into "sex testing women". You'd have to be completely blind and blinkered not to see that.

It wouldn’t work Enduro for the simple reason that it does nothing to resolve the issue of people who are not willing to agree that it’s perfectly reasonable that they should be discriminated against.

It would be like expecting that anyone should agree to being treated as unequal on some arbitrary basis as decided upon by people who wish to exclude them, and claiming that’s a fair compromise.

Just look at what was suggested by one group as a compromise for transgender athletes in swimming -

• Given Lia Thomas has apparently met the testosterone threshold as established by the 12 year old NCAA policy and has qualified to compete, we propose that she swim as an exhibition participant at the upcoming 2022 NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships. This would afford Lia the opportunity to experience competition at the highest level collegiately as a member of the U Penn women’s team, while also allowing the three women who were displaced by her qualification in three events to compete.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/texas-womens-alums-write-letter-on-lia-thomas-participation-in-ncaa-championships/

Does that sound like fair treatment if you were in the position where you were being discriminated against? I think anyone would reasonably object to that sort of expectation.

• Advertisement

Do you not realise that that is the point that those of us who wish to ensure the survival of women's sport are making. It is indeed no accident. It has been an ongoing process of raising the profile of women's sports. It's been pretty successful too in a lot of cases. Despite your claims to the contrary women's athletics, for example, is equally as prestigious as men's athletics. And, as has been pointed out to you before, there are one or two sports where the female category is more prestigious, such as gymnastics. Your arguments to the contrary are little more than misogynistic bias.

Advertisement